Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 13:46 It is currently 04 May 2024, 13:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Calling all Haas Full Time Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Infographic: Meet the Evening & Weekend Berkeley MBA Class of 2018
These ambitious professionals, who began classes in early August, are holding down demanding jobs while tackling the rigorous Berkeley-Haas program. 

Infographic credit: Gabrielle Luu

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Calling all Haas Full Time Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: MBA Internships: Living a dream at 20th Century Fox

The team I worked with over the summer told me they'd love to have me back, and encouraged me to check in with them once I graduate.

Student: Nikita Jain, Full-time MBA 16

Internship:
20th Century Fox
Role: Marketing and licensing, Home Entertainment Digital Distribution Group.

Why 20th Century Fox: "When I arrived at Haas, I'd had three years of experience in finance at Credit-Suisse, and I wanted to switch to the creative side of things. I love watching movies!! I can watch movies 24/7, 365 days a year. I grew up watching Hollywood movies and Bollywood is in my blood, I knew entertainment was my dream career but never knew I could make it happen. Everyone told me it would be difficult to transition from finance to entertainment, especially because I'm not from the industry and more so not from the U.S. Nevertheless, I didn’t give up trying..and it paid off when I got my summer offer from Fox.

Projects: I worked with the Marketing and Licensing team dedicated to Fox’s digital content. One of the projects I worked on focused on growing Fox’s video-on-demand & cable business. My growth strategy ideas were very well received, and I was asked to present to Keith Feldman, the president of worldwide distribution for Home Entertainment. Another project was about monetizing Fox's content on social media platforms and designing marketing campaigns for Fox movies—specifically for consumers of their digital clients like iTunes, Amazon, etc.

The internship gave me a chance to learn a lot about consumer behavior on digital platforms; what kinds of campaigns are most effective for different movies; and how millennials are consuming and buying movie content online

Haas skills applied: I got a lot of support from my career advisor throughout the internship. I networked a lot, which we were well trained for at Haas. Needless to say all the media & marketing coursework I took during my 1st year went a long way in making this internship a success

A highlight: I helped with the brand marketing campaign for an upcoming Fox movie "The Martian,"  set to release in October. Do watch it!! I also got various opportunities to see screenings of Fox movies not released yet—a perk I really cherished!

Thrilled about: The team I worked with over the summer told me they'd love to have me back, and encouraged me to check in with them once I graduate.

What's next: I consider myself very lucky to have landed my dream job, and I plan to do marketing for movies in L.A. when I finish my MBA."

Read about more MBA internships:

Finding the Right Fit at Clorox

Design Thinking in Practice at Ideo

Consulting on Main Street

Thinking Big at Amazon

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
Hi friends! Only 7 weeks left until the deadline of Round 1. How is your preparation going on? I found something in the book. It might be useful for your essays. All the best !
Hass
In a world filled with business schools, Haas maintains a high degree of distinction. That distinction can be seen just by reading through the Haas essays, which at times seem more like questions from a psychologist rather than from an admissions committee. Indeed, the essay questions are indicative of a school that is serious about admitting applicants who can maintain almost paradoxical balances—applicants who are committed to traditional business learning, but display a bit of personal panache. Applicants who would be willing to stand alone based on personal conviction, but are willing to unite in the name of teamwork. Applicants who are looking to make waves in the marketplace, but remain cognizant of social and ethical responsibilities. If you can paint a picture of yourself that reflects these traits, in addition to satisfying the more common admissions requirements, then you stand a good chance of being accepted into the Haas family.
The Haas learning model continues to emphasize three main themes: Entrepreneurship and Innovation, Management of Technology, and International Business Management. For the last several years, Haas has benefited from a symbiotic relationship with nearby Silicon Valley. This has resulted, not surprisingly, in an intensified focus on entrepreneurship. Haas now boasts multiple opportunities for students to cultivate and test their business ideas as well as to interact with mentors and experts. The Lester Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, founded in 1991, supports a variety of activities such as the Berkeley Business Incubator, UC Berkeley Entrepreneurs Forum, and entrepreneurship fellowships and internships.
Technology has also been a natural outgrowth of Haas' geographical location. The Management of Technology Program offers a number of opportunities including courses such as Strategic Computing and Communication Technology, Information Technology Strategy, and International Trade and Competition in High Technology. The program also features research initiatives, and the annual Leading Edge Technology Conference.
The final theme, International Business Management, is highlighted in Haas' course offerings in addition to its International Business Development (IBD) and International Exchange programs. IBD offers students the opportunity to participate in a global consulting project with a team composed entirely of Haas students. In terms of exchange programs, Haas offers six in locations such as London, Barcelona, and Hong Kong.
Although the Haas learning model is rooted in general management precepts, students can obtain certificates in any one of the three themes in addition to Corporate Environmental Management and Health Management. Displaying an understanding of these themes and how they would benefit you should be a critical part of your application.
Demonstrating the teamwork dimension is also important, as Hass admissions counselors are actively looking for applicants who display team spirit. The learning model group assignments and interact closely with faculty. To demonstrate fit with these characteristics, you should display a pattern of getting involved and a sense of community.
The Haas learning model has a strong bent towards applying abstract theories to real-world situations. This approach begins with the faculty, a majority of whom have significant experience within the marketplace, and extends to the students, who boast an average of 5.2 years of work experience. The maturity dimension is highly valued at Haas and gaining acceptance with under three years of work experience can be challenging. As an applicant, you should try to display a diversity of experience and insight into how complex issues such as globalization, ethics, environmentalism, and politics impact business operations.
As other business schools scramble to revamp their programs in order to promote a new focus on ethics and social responsibility, Haas will benefit from its reputation as a pioneer in the field. With a required course in ethics, numerous electives, programs, and events focused on the topic, Haas gives full treatment to the interaction of business, ethics, and social responsibility. The National Social Venture Business Plan Competition is a hallmark of that interaction, as business schools across the country compete for a total of $100,000 by presenting plans that outline business propositions that have a societal or environmental component. Although a majority of Haas grads pursue careers in the traditional areas of consulting and finance, they all are all influenced by Haas' incorporation of social issues within the learning model. As you present you rprofile, make sure that you reflect a cognizance of societal and ethical issues that extend from business issues.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Why Business School? Berkeley MBA Students Share Their Reasons

At its core, a decision to pursue an MBA is a decision to take ownership of one's career. We hear often from students about the desire to explore and to move their careers forward in new ways. They also tell us they want to have greater impact and to refuel their passion for work. 

Why go to business school? Here are a few reasons shared by students in the Evening & Weekend, Full-time, and MBA for Executives programs at Berkeley-Haas:

“The best thing business school can do for you is challenge the way you think. Berkeley-Haas is showing me what else is out there in the world—things I had never thought about before.”—Kavinda Udugama

"Business is very different from the Army, as I found out when I worked at a J & J subsidiary. I’m a big-picture kind of person, and when I couldn’t understand why decisions were being made, I realized the best way to expand my perspective was getting an MBA.”—Crystan Allan

“I started my career as a bench scientist in R&D. As my career progressed, I found myself in positions that were increasingly business focused: budgeting, planning, and marketing. It became clear, that getting an MBA would be the best way to grow my capabilities in these areas."—Richard Wilson

“I’ve filled many operational project management roles in my career without having the formal academic training. As I have more responsibility for contractual relationships, financial negotiations, and driving work in the external environment, I wanted a better, more formal, understanding of business.”—Sally Allain

“Being a consultant was a a great place to start my career, but I soon realized that the projects that I felt most engaged in were for companies or brands that really ignited my passion. I decided that going to business school might allow me to align my passion with a career path.”—Matt Richards

“I know the mergers & acquisitions field really well. What I want from business school is that added polish, the backing of a brand like Berkeley-Haas, and the power of its alumni network.”—Belinda Wang 

Looking for more reasons people might choose to go to business school? Check out these posts:

8 Reasons to Consider an MBA

7 Reasons to Choose a Part-time MBA Program

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Financing Your Executive MBA: Asking Your Employer for Sponsorship

When it comes to financing your executive MBA, one idea is both obvious and difficult—asking your employer for assistance. Clearly, your employer will benefit from your advanced training, but many companies don’t have a formal policy for tuition reimbursement, or if they do, it may be vague or not well communicated.

However, many students can and do receive financial assistance from employers, and there are a number of steps that help them secure it:

1. Start with an understanding of your company’s policies.
Look for any existing company information on tuition reimbursement. If your organization has no formal policy—persist—your company may offer financial compensation for professional development or training, and that may apply to study in the Berkeley MBA for Executives program.

2. Identify the decision maker. Find an advocate.
Who makes the financial decisions? Ultimately, you'll likely need to approach and work with this person directly, but if he or she doesn't know you well, you’ll also want to secure an advocate who can support you.

3. Make a strong case for support.
Find out if anyone else in your organization has received compensation for an advanced degree or if other companies in your field have helped employees with educational goals. Other MBAs at your company— particularly those who are well respected or have been through your particular program—may also be able to help or write a formal letter of support.

4. Showcase your impact at work.
This is not the time to be overly modest. Collect evidence of your contributions and accomplishments over time to convey the positive impact you have made, currently make, and will continue to make on your organization.

5. Highlight the value your degree will bring to the organization.
With all you've been able to accomplish before earning your business degree (See #4), think what you could do during and after your studies. Outline specifics of the curriculum for your employer to emphasize the new skills you'll gain in everything from leadership and strategy to finance and marketing. 

6. Highlight the EMBA program's cross-pollination with other industries.  
Berkeley-Haas purposefully chooses each executive class to include different industries and job functions, so students are exposed to many different points of view and perspectives. The result is a dynamic environment where you glean insights on strategy and innovation that you might not be exposed to within the culture of your own industry.

7. Consider what else you might give back in exchange.
For example, some employers agree to offer financial assistance in return for an employment contract specifying a length of time you will remain at the company. Ensure that your conversation with the decision-maker isn't only an "ask," but a negotiation aimed at meeting both party's needs.

Convincing your employer that its investment in your business education is a good investment for the organization as a whole is key to securing financial sponsorship. In addition to employer assistance, we invite you to learn more EMBA financing options.  

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
TheLostOne wrote:
mbadream16 wrote:
Haas has released the essay questions for Fall 2016:

Please use the following essays as opportunities to reflect on and share with us the values, experiences, and accomplishments that have helped shape who you are.

Essay #1
If you could choose one song that expresses who you are, what is it and why? (250 words maximum)

Essay #2
Please respond to one of the following prompts: (250 words maximum)

Describe an experience that has fundamentally changed the way you see the world and how it transformed you.
Describe a significant accomplishment and why it makes you proud.
Describe a difficult decision you have made and why it was challenging.
Essay #3
Tell us about your path to business school and your future plans. How will the Berkeley-Haas experience help you along this journey? (500 words maximum)

Optional Essay
Is there any other information you would like to share that is not presented elsewhere in the application? You may also use this essay to provide further explanation of employment gaps or your quantitative abilities. (500 words maximum)

Are you really applying to all of those schools in R1?

No, I am not. I was following the discussions to help me shortlist the schools to apply to. :)
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: 43% Women: Gender Balance in the Berkeley Full-time MBA Program

One of the most notable shifts in the landscape of MBA programs is more women in the classroom. At Berkeley-Haas, women now make up nearly 43 percent of our full-time MBA program.

This is a result of our Gender Equity Initiative’s (GEI) concerted effort to build female representation in the classroom. At Haas, GEI works with admissions to strengthen our outreach.

GEI also focuses on enriching student experience and program culture, from inviting more female speakers, to redesigning male-centered fundraisers, like “No-Shave November” to be more female-inclusive, to welcoming both male and female perspectives on how to enhance gender equity at Haas.  

Find more on the incoming class and on the demographic shift taking place in the Full-time Berkeley MBA Program in this Haas Now story:

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: What exactly do people do with an MBA? Stories from Berkeley-Haas

There are as many answers to that question as there are students—maybe even more if you consider the changes possible over the course of a career.

Here are a few stories from the MBA programs at Berkeley-Haas full-time, evening and weekend, and executive that might intrigue or inspire you:

Brian Lee’s studies in the evening and weekend program became his “springboard to accelerate my career in a new direction,” from being a civilian employee of the U.S. Navy to an internship with Wells Fargo Securities.

For Skyler Soto, the switch was from the nonprofit sector to the retail space. Worried at first that she might be giving up on the Beyond Yourself Defining Principle, she soon learned that “social impact isn’t just the responsibility of the nonprofit sector, it can be woven into any company’s culture.” Today, she is proving that as a buyer for Target.

Out of the 68 members of executive class of 2014, Joe Inkenbrandt was one of 16 who chose to pursue entrepreneurship. Aside from the executive skills he gained in the classroom, Berkeley-Haas gave him, “the confidence to do something I never thought was possible.” He founded Identify3D.

Nearly 10 years ago, Indiegogo Co-Founder Danae Ringelmann, MBA 08, and her classmate Eric Schell had the “crazy" idea to democratize fundraising online. Today, she is chief development officer of Indiegogo, the largest global fundraising site.

Robert Ford, started his executive MBA studies as vice president of Abbott Diabetes Care, progressed to president of the division, and then became executive vice president of Abbott's Medical Device Business. Along with a new business card, he's gained new insights, new ways of looking at and solving problems, and an “always awesome” cohort of classmates.

At Google, Leslie Hernandez Dinneen used concepts she learned in the Leading People class in her part-time MBA program (evening and weekend) to good effect when she took a role in a different part of the company to broaden her knowledge and skills. Today, she is a product marketing manager, Employment Brand, leading marketing strategies for Google’s People Operations Group.s Unit.  

What could you do with an MBA? Find more ideas and inspiration with these student journeys:   

A Dream Internship

The Road to Product Management

Making the Move to Management Consulting

Leap into Entrepreneurship

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
Any current Haas students or recent alums want to share any insight on what the program is really like on the inside? What are the less publicized aspects of the program, both good and bad, that you only learned after you enrolled?
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Convincing Employers to Help Finance Your EMBA—Advice from Students

Be prepared, be connected, be flexible, and be tenacious—these are some key points of advice from executive MBA students who have secured financial assistance for their program from employers.

For Liz Lowry, MBA 16, being prepared was particularly important as she was the first person at her firm to request financial help for an advanced degree. “I’m setting the precedent for this at my company,” she says.

After doing some research and participating in a Haas webinar on employer sponsorship, Lowry, the senior director of business development for INgrooves Music Group, created a formal Request for Sponsorship document. Her request addressed her background and qualifications, how she and the organization would both benefit from key aspects of the program, the required schedule, and her commitment to her employer.

One advantage of the Berkeley MBA for Executives Program she highlighted was the diversity of her classmates. “I looked at business schools in Southern California where I knew there would be more people from the entertainment industry, but I wanted to get away from that. At Berkeley-Haas there is a diverse array of backgrounds that my cohort brings to classroom discussions—I can learn from that and bring that back to the music industry.”

Lowry also was prepared to be flexible in her negotiations with her employer. Rather than receiving full sponsorship, she and her company agreed to payment for one class, negotiated each semester.

While Lowry’s negotiations are ongoing, she is tenacious about continuing her requests. She is also already applying what she is learning, and shares that with her boss during weekly meetings. “I’m using these skills to lead and manage my team, and also in my job function negotiating with partners.”

Savannah Thompson is another Berkeley EMBA student who secured several forms of financial support
from her employer, a small private financial services firm.

While Thompson benefited from another employee who previously negotiated financial sponsorship for an MBA, she still did her homework before making her request. One of her first steps was to speak with key decision makers. “I work as an operations manager at a small company, and I first had conversations with the owners and other members of the executive team. I wanted to make certain everyone had buy-in.”

Another key to success was asking early. “I approached my employer four months before the final round of (MBA) applications were due. Asking early allows your employer to ask questions. They may also need to speak with accountants if they provide tuition reimbursement (to explore possible tax deductions), or involve different legal parties if contracts need to be drawn up.”

Thompson also made sure to have a plan in place with her team for the times she would be out of the office. “I tried to approach it from a collaborative standpoint—how do we make this work together? I am fortunate to have a great team of three people who work with me. They have really stepped up and taken on more responsibility.”

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Do I need an MBA to be a Product Manager, Part II

Meet Sung Hu Kim, a 2006 graduate of the [b]Berkeley-Haas Full-time MBA Program who worked at Twitter in product management. Prior to that, he was at Google as a lead on the Android team for consumer and developer marketing. He talks with us about his career in product management:
[/b]

What did you do prior to pursuing your MBA?

I was a management consultant and then worked at a startup. 

What interested you about product management?

I wanted to work with great people building products that I loved that would have a positive impact on people's lives. 

What responsibilities have you had as a product manager?

I recently left Twitter to take some time off and recharge after working there for 4 1/2 years.

At Twitter, I launched the first version of the company's Logged Out experience. Prior to that, I drove the strategy, roadmap, and execution around the company's mobile products.

Before Twitter, I spent four years at Google, which I joined after graduating from Haas. As one of the first 75 members of the Android team at Google, I launched the original Android SDK and the G1 (the world's first Android phone), and helped grow the developer ecosystem.

How has earning your business degree helped?

As someone who had moved from the East Coast with no previous ties to Silicon Valley, I found my experience at Haas to be incredibly valuable.

Classes such as New Product Development gave me exposure to fundamental problem solving strategies and techniques in product management. Several of us from the Class of 2005 and 2006 founded the Digital Media and Entertainment Club, and it turned out to be a great way to meet industry leaders, learn about key companies and trends, and build enduring relationships with classmates who shared a passion for the digital space.

And of course, there's the Haas alumni network. I have friendships and professional relationships through Haas that will last a lifetime. 

Do I need an MBA to be a product manager?

An MBA can be a valuable means of getting into product management. Although Haas (as with most business schools) does not offer a product management focus area per se, it provides classes, activities and clubs, networking, and on-campus recruiting that collectively offer incredible opportunities around product management as a career.

Want to know more about product management? See Part I. And, if you'd like to know more about where our graduates go to work and what they do, check out our latest employment report.

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Financing Your Part-Time MBA: Your Questions Answered

An MBA is an investment you make in yourself. It delivers a foundation of knowledge, a set of skills, and a network that can play a strong role in your success (even while you're still in the program!), but, like any major investment, it takes careful consideration and planning.

We frequently talk with prospective students about their options for financing part-time MBA studies. Here are some of the most frequently-asked questions we receive about financing an MBA—and our answers:

Costs
How much does the program cost?

Tuition is on a per-unit fee structure. For the 2015-16 year, per-unit cost is $3,047. With 42 units required to graduate, total cost over the progam comes to about $128,000. Books are an additional $1100 (approx.) per year. Included in the tuition cost are the two mandatory program retreats, an i-pad, and Saturday class lunches.

Please note that tuition increases about 3-6% each year.

Overall Questions about Financial Aid
What percentage of students in your part-time MBA program receive financial aid?

Approximately 70% of students in the Berkeley-Haas Evening & Weekend MBA program receive some form of financial aid.

What are the financial aid options available for permanent residents/U.S. citizens?

There are federal loans and private loans available to you as well as Haas scholarships.

What financing options are available to those who are neither permanent residents nor US citizens?

Both scholarships and international loans are available.

When can I apply for Haas scholarships and loans? 

Once you have been admitted, you are able to apply for Haas scholarships. In the summer, you may then begin the process of applying for loans.

Making Payments
How often will I make payments for my tuition and fees?

You have the option of paying for each semester in full, due January 15th and August 15th of each year, or you may elect to enroll in the deferred payment plan for a $40 fee each semester. This breaks each semester's fees into 5 payments.

Scholarships
Does Berkeley-Haas offer scholarships?

Yes, we are excited to be able to offer the following scholarships to students in the Evening & Weekend MBA Program (award amounts range from $10,000-$20,000):

Dean's Scholarships —Awarded for strong experience and leadership potential (first year only)

Diversity Scholarship —Awarded to those whose professional and personal experience allows them to contribute in a unique way (first year only)

Non-Profit/Public Service Scholarships —Awarded to students currently employed in the non-profit or public service sector

Shapansky Grant —Awarded based on financial need

OOBA (Outside of Bay Area) Grants (up to $3,000)—For students commuting from outside the 9-county Bay Area (first year only).

Are the scholarships awarded yearly or do students re-apply each year?

Students can apply each of their three years (and possibly be awarded scholarship money each year).

Are you allowed to apply to more than one scholarship?

Yes, you may apply for as many scholarships as you like. But, we generally award only one scholarship per student as funding is limited. You would receive the scholarship for which we feel you are a best fit (but note that not everyone is guaranteed a scholarship award).

Veterans Benefits
What are MBA financing options for veterans?

As part of the public University of California system, Berkeley-Haas is one of the few top-ranked MBA programs able to benefit from the expanded Post 9/11 Benefits.

Depending on qualifying length of service, veterans can obtain funding for up to 100% of fees, a monthly housing allowance, and an annual book stipend of up to $1,000.

Do you waive application fees for veterans? 

Yes. To thank you for your service, we offer application fee waivers for veterans who apply to any Berkeley MBA Program. Please see the bottom of our Costs and Financial Aid page for additional details.

Employee Sponsorship
If I want to apply for company sponsorship for the Haas EWMBA, what should I do?

Company sponsorship is an option determined by one's company. If your company elects to sponsor you, they determine the amount and the duration. UC Berkeley then receives the funds from your company each semester and applies them to your fees.

Loans
I would like to finance my part-time MBA studies with student loans. Could I be disqualified based on income?

As a graduate student, loans are not based on need, therefore income will not disqualify you.

Which are cheaper—federal loans or private ones?

For EWMBA students, private loans are, on average, cheaper. There are no fees for most private loans and the interest rate is based on one's FICO score, so students, on average, receive 4.9%. You can compare this with federal loans online on our Financial Aid website.

While private loans do tend to have lower interest rates, they are also associated with more risk. It is not uncommon for students to borrow variable rate loans if they are confident they will be prepaying their loans in a short period of time.

What's the credit score requirement for the loans with permanent resident status?

The federal loans available to permanent residents are the Unsubsidized Loan and the Grad PLUS Loan. The latter is subject to a credit check and is looking not at your score, but for any derogatory marks. If you have checked your credit report and know that you have none listed on either of your three reports, then you should be credit eligible.

Is it feasible to pursue both a mortgage and a student loan within the same year?

Yes, we have had student receive both within the same year. Having a mortgage has not prevented our students from obtaining federal or private loans as long as they have nothing derogatory on their credit report.

Are there any interest-free loan options available for grad school?

There are no loans at the graduate level that do not incur interest.

Our students are more commonly considering alternative financing options such as Home Equity Lines or borrowing from their 401(k), but while these may offer favorable rates, they also require immediate repayment.

Note that student loans do not require that you enter repayment typically until 6 months after you graduate or drop below half-time enrollment (6 units).

We hope this information helps with financing, a major consideration when contemplating going to business school. For more information, please view our financial aid page. In addition, we're always happy to help answer your financial aid and admissions-related questions. Feel free to email us at ewmbaadm@haas.berkeley.edu or call us at 510-642-0292.

While an MBA is a major investment, it's also one with great potential for return. We invite you to see why people choose Berkeley-Haas. 

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Meet the Berkeley MBA for Executives Class of 2016
What do pilots, doctors, and senior execs from Amazon, Deloitte, and Shell have in common? They are among the accomplished professionals in the Berkeley MBA for Executives class of 2016.

Classes began in May for this class, of which more than half the students were born outside the U.S., and about a third commute from outside the Bay Area, including one who travels from China.

In addition to sharing an interest in personal and professional development, these students felt a fit with Berkeley-Haas culture and its Defining Principles: Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always, and Beyond Yourself.

“Confidence Without Attitude is knowing that your classmates have no ulterior motives," says EMBA student Harold Allen. "We complement instead of competing with each other."

Meet the class: 

Want to learn more about the Berkeley MBA for Executives Program? Request information, and we'll keep you updated on special events and the latest news. 

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Joining thread for Round 1 updates. All the best to everyone!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Has anyone tried to fill the essays in the online application? It considers an apostrophe as a word!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
mbathisyear wrote:
Has anyone tried to fill the essays in the online application? It considers an apostrophe as a word!

Yes. All the special characters make them 2 words instead of 1.
Then I found this https://mba.haas.berkeley.edu/admissions ... 26_13.html

Harrison_Berkeley(A): I believe our system counts hyphenated words and apostrophes as 2 separate words. This isn't a problem, since you can go over your word count by a little bit, and it would be fine, as long as it is within reason.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
anubhavmax wrote:
mbathisyear wrote:

Yes. All the special characters make them 2 words instead of 1.
Then I found this https://mba.haas.berkeley.edu/admissions ... 26_13.html

Harrison_Berkeley(A): I believe our system counts hyphenated words and apostrophes as 2 separate words. This isn't a problem, since you can go over your word count by a little bit, and it would be fine, as long as it is within reason.

This chat is from 2013. Apparently, they haven't fixed it yet!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  39   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts