Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 21:08 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 21:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [15]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [4]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Line L and line K have slopes -2 and 1/2 respectively. If line L and l [#permalink]
skylimit wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:

As for your question, "Is there a nice fast solution?", it is not going to be helpful either to you or any other member when you ask such questions without providing information as to what did you do to approach this question. It is fine to ask an "alternate method" but to talk about "fastest" or "easiest" is going to defeat the purpose of having a useful discussion.

I agree. However, the site doesn't allow links in posts for first 5 days and this makes it hard. I didn't know how to solve the question. When I checked the video solution I thought it was too long of an approach. So, I asked for a shorter solution. I guess I could have entered the complete solution from the video, but that seemed like a waste.

Thanks for your solution though. It's basically the same as the one in the video

The solution above is per the basics of coordinate geometry and lines and took me all of 1.2 minute to solve this question. How much more quickly do you want to solve such a question? This question seems to be 650-700 level (more so towards 700) and thus would need you to apply a number of connected concepts in a particular form. I do believe that a graphical method would have been more straightforward (not quicker!) had the question asked for the area of the triangle formed by the 2 lines and the X-axis.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [1]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: Line L and line K have slopes -2 and 1/2 respectively. If line L and l [#permalink]
Kudos
skylimit wrote:
Line L and line K have slopes -2 and 1/2 respectively. If line L and line K intersect at (6,8), what is the distance between the x-intercept of line L and the y-intercept of line K?

A) 5
B) 10
C) \(5\sqrt{5}\)
D) 15
E) \(10\sqrt{5}\)

Source: GMAT Prep Now

my approach: plug in values for each equation
y=-2x+b => 8=-2*6 +b -> b=20
y=x/2+b => 8=6/2 +b => b=5 (Y INTERCEPT OF THE LINE K)

now, let's find for x intercept of line L.
y must be zero
0=-2x+20 -> x=10

so we have a right triangle with leg 5 and 10. the distance between these two points is: sqrt(5^2 + 10^2) = sqrt(125) = 5*sqrt(5)

C
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64978 [2]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
skylimit wrote:
Line L and line K have slopes -2 and 1/2 respectively. If line L and line K intersect at (6,8), what is the distance between the x-intercept of line L and the y-intercept of line K?

A) 5
B) 10
C) \(5\sqrt{5}\)
D) 15
E) \(10\sqrt{5}\)

You can also use the concept of slope.

Slope = -2 means that for every 1 unit increase in x co-ordinate, y co-ordinate decreases by 2. Line L has slope -2 and passes through (6, 8). It's x intercept will have y = 0 i.e. a decrease of 8 so x will increase by 4 to 6 + 4 = 10. So x intercept is 10.

Line K has slope 1/2 and passes through (6, 8). It's y intercept will have x = 0 i.e. a decrease of 6 so y will decrease by 1/2 of that i.e. by 3. So y intercept is 8 - 3 = 5.

Distance between the two points can be found using pythagorean theorem as \(\sqrt{10^2 + 5^2} = 5\sqrt{5}\).

Answer (C)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 387 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
GPA: 3.4
WE:General Management (Human Resources)
Line l and k have slope -2 and 1/2 respectively. if line l and k inter [#permalink]
Line l and k have slope -2 and 1/2 respectively. if line l and k intersect at (6 , 8). What is the distance
between the x intercept of line l and the y intercept of line k?

A) 5

B) 10

C) 5 \sqrt{}5

D)15

E) 10\sqrt{5}
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619750 [0]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Expert Reply
Chemerical71 wrote:
Line l and k have slope -2 and 1/2 respectively. if line l and k intersect at (6 , 8). What is the distance
between the x intercept of line l and the y intercept of line k?

A) 5

B) 10

C) 5 \sqrt{}5

D)15

E) 10\sqrt{5}

Merging topics. Please refer to the discussion above.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 799 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
Answer is clearly C as shown in figure.
Attachments

IMG_3955.JPG
IMG_3955.JPG [ 1.67 MiB | Viewed 2892 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
ENGRTOMBA2018 wrote:
skylimit wrote:
A) 5
B) 10
C) \(5\sqrt{5}\)
D) 15
E)\(10\sqrt{5}\)

Is there a nice fast solution?

Follow the posting guidelines.

As for your question, "Is there a nice fast solution?", it is not going to be helpful either to you or any other member when you ask such questions without providing information as to what did you do to approach this question. It is fine to ask an "alternate method" but to talk about "fastest" or "easiest" is going to defeat the purpose of having a useful discussion.

The classic way is:

Assume the equations of the 2 lines, L and K as

y=-2x+a and
y=x/2 +b respectively

As both these lines pass through (6,8), substitute x=6 and y=8 to get the values of a and b as 20 and 5 respectively.

Thus equations of the 2 lines become

L: y=-2x+20, x-intercept = (10,0) and
K: y=x/2 +5, y-intercept = (0,5) respectively

Thus the distance = distance between (10,0) and (0,5) = \(\sqrt {(10-0)^2+(0-5)^2}\) = \(5\sqrt{5}\). C is the correct answer.

In the above solution, you found the x-interecept of line L and y-interecept of line K. But if we do the opposite, i.e. find the x-int of line K and y-int of line L, the answer comes out to be different. why is that ?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92977 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts