Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 17:19 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30806 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [0]
Given Kudos: 137
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q41 V31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: International Business, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.49
WE:Web Development (Insurance)
Send PM
Re: Markers in Parallelism [#permalink]
Hi,

There's one error here.

Between ... and... is not necessarily a dual word thing

Quoting from GMATClub grammar book

"Business negotiations between the governments of the United States, China and South America are going well despite cultural differences."

So whenever we are talking about 2 or more proper nouns, we can use between.

Please add this exception to your (otherwise excellent) post.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15268 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Markers in Parallelism [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
arirux92 wrote:
Hi,

There's one error here.

"Business negotiations between the governments of the United States, China and South America are going well despite cultural differences."

Yes arirux92, I agree with your point to an extent. The general rule is as follows:

Use between, when distinct objects ( may be 2 or more) are referred to - I may select any one between strawberry,chocolate or vanilla flavor.

Use among, when a group as a whole is referred to - I may select any one among these flavors.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
arirux92 wrote:
Hi,

There's one error here.

My understanding was different. Can you give an official example on this? Or are you suggesting that "between" can be used for more than 2 "proper" nouns (but not "common" nouns)?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi E-Gmat team
Thanks for excellent article.
I have basic question

Hundreds of species of fish generate and discharge electric currents, in bursts or as steady electric fields around their bodies, using their power to find and attack prey, to defend themselves, or to communicate and navigate....

This is the correct answer. Can the "to" be outside as well ?
I mean...
Hundreds of species of fish generate and discharge electric currents, in bursts or as steady electric fields around their bodies, using their power to find and attack prey, defend themselves, or communicate and navigate.

I am always confused awith AND, BUT, OR.
Example - X AND Y. X, Y have to be parallel. But can the common things be taken out or we have to repeat? And where should we break the sentence (at the verb ?)

Thanks
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15268 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
crescendo85 wrote:
Hi E-Gmat team
Thanks for excellent article.
I have basic question

Hundreds of species of fish generate and discharge electric currents, in bursts or as steady electric fields around their bodies, using their power to find and attack prey, to defend themselves, or to communicate and navigate....

This is the correct answer. Can the "to" be outside as well ?
I mean...
Hundreds of species of fish generate and discharge electric currents, in bursts or as steady electric fields around their bodies, using their power to find and attack prey, defend themselves, or communicate and navigate.

I am always confused awith AND, BUT, OR.
Example - X AND Y. X, Y have to be parallel. But can the common things be taken out or we have to repeat? And where should we break the sentence (at the verb ?)

Thanks

For the above conjunctions (AND, BUT, OR), it does not matter whether you use the common items once or twice:

For example:

....to [(X) and (Y)]....
....[(to X) and (to Y)].....

Both would be correct.

In the first case the parallel items are X and Y - to is outside parallelism.
In the second case the parallel items are to X and to Y - to is inside parallelism.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hundreds of species of fish generate and discharge electric currents, in bursts or as steady electric fields around their bodies, using their power either to find and attack prey, to defend themselves, also for communicating and navigating.

is still the sentence communicating the same--The sentence clearly communicates that the many species of fish generate electric currents for one of the listed functions.find and attack prey, to defend themselves, also for communicating and navigating.if yes then what is the significance of "or"
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
anshulmangal wrote:
Hundreds of species of fish generate and discharge electric currents, in bursts or as steady electric fields around their bodies, using their power either to find and attack prey, to defend themselves, also for communicating and navigating.

Not a correct sentence Anshul; with either, I would expect an or.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Hi Folks,

This question is fresh from the oven. Try it out.

Because of the recent developments in genetic replication and cloning, scientists are now able to create super humans through genetic reproduction, retaining the most efficient genes of the current generation, altering the genes that are responsible for currently known major diseases, and adding new genes that will introduce unique characteristics.

A. Because of the recent developments in genetic replication and cloning, scientists are now able to create super humans through genetic reproduction, retaining the most efficient genes of the current generation, altering the genes that are responsible for currently known major diseases, and adding

B. Because the recent developments in genetic replication and cloning, scientists are now able to create super humans through genetic reproduction, retaining the most efficient genes of the current generation, altering of the genes that is responsible for currently known major diseases, and addition of

C. Because of the recent developments in genetic replication and cloning, scientists are now able to create super humans through genetic reproduction, retaining the most efficient genes of the current generation, alter the genes that are responsible for currently known major diseases, and add

D. Due to the recent developments in genetic replication and cloning, scientists are now able to create super humans through genetic reproduction, retain the most efficient genes of the current generation, alter the genes that are responsible for currently known major diseases and add

E. Due to the recent developments in genetic replication and cloning, scientists are now able to create super humans through genetic reproduction and retain the most efficient genes of the current generation, altering the genes that are responsible for currently known major diseases, and add

I am having trouble understanding the structure of the sentence. Doesn't the list starts with "create super humans through genetic reproduction" ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
GPA: 4
Send PM
egmat

Thanks for this amazing article. May I ask if "while" can be considered a parallelism and comparison marker?

P.S: e-Gmat student here :)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TargetMBA007 wrote:
May I ask if "while" can be considered a parallelism and comparison marker?

Hi TargetMBA007, while is not a comparison marker; it is a subordinating conjunction (that usually marks the start of a dependent clause).
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
From the context of the sentence, we know that the author is talking about two types of bones - white and gray. He's only talking about the color of the bones. We keep identical parallel entities in the list here.
Thanks so much. :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Scientists were able to do four things,
1) Create
2)retain
3)alter
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30806 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
priyamitra wrote:
egmat wrote:
Hi Folks,

Because of the recent developments in genetic replication and cloning, scientists are now able to create super humans through genetic reproduction, retaining the most efficient genes of the current generation, altering the genes that are responsible for currently known major diseases, and adding new genes that will introduce unique characteristics.

A. Because of the recent developments in genetic replication and cloning, scientists are now able to create super humans through genetic reproduction, retaining the most efficient genes of the current generation, altering the genes that are responsible for currently known major diseases, and adding

B. Because the recent developments in genetic replication and cloning, scientists are now able to create super humans through genetic reproduction, retaining the most efficient genes of the current generation, altering of the genes that is responsible for currently known major diseases, and addition of

C. Because of the recent developments in genetic replication and cloning, scientists are now able to create super humans through genetic reproduction, retaining the most efficient genes of the current generation, alter the genes that are responsible for currently known major diseases, and add

D. Due to the recent developments in genetic replication and cloning, scientists are now able to create super humans through genetic reproduction, retain the most efficient genes of the current generation, alter the genes that are responsible for currently known major diseases and add

E. Due to the recent developments in genetic replication and cloning, scientists are now able to create super humans through genetic reproduction and retain the most efficient genes of the current generation, altering the genes that are responsible for currently known major diseases, and add

I am having trouble understanding the structure of the sentence. Doesn't the list starts with "create super humans through genetic reproduction" ?

Hello priyamitra,

Thank you for the question. :-)

The three comma + verb-ing modifiers make the list in this sentence. So, the list contains:

1. retaining the most efficient genes of the current generation,
    2. altering the genes that are responsible for currently known major diseases, and
    3. adding new genes that will introduce unique characteristics

You can review the complete solution of this question here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/markers-in-parallelism-139076-20.html#p1259882

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja

I would be really grateful if you may explain the following or guide me to an article, which can address my concern-

''Hundreds of species of fish generate & discharge electric currents, in bursts or as steady electric fields around their bodies, using their power to find and attack prey, to defend themselves or also for communicating and navigating.''

I understand the intended meaning but I am not able to logically explain myself how 'to find' , 'to defend' and 'for communicating' are parallel to each other. If I remember your video on Parallelism correctly, in the fifth question the term 'prepositional phrase' has been for 'to maintain' and 'for subsidizing'. ' For subsidizing' I can understand it is a prepositional phrase but how can 'to + infinitive' be a prepositional phrase. To + gerund can be a prepositional phrase but I am missing some link definitely in seeing 'to + infinitive' as prepositional phrase. I am not concerned with the correct jargon, I will be thankful if you may just explain or guide me how 'to+ infinitive' is parallel to 'preposition + noun/pronoun'

P.S. Your videos are awesome and thank you so very much for explaining the concepts so nicely. I have seen your seven videos in the last three days and I could apply the learnings in the questions and see the result.
For others- GMATNinja Live Tips Season 1- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 8IfJaZ8qNG
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63684 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
duttan wrote:
GMATNinja

I would be really grateful if you may explain the following or guide me to an article, which can address my concern-

''Hundreds of species of fish generate & discharge electric currents, in bursts or as steady electric fields around their bodies, using their power to find and attack prey, to defend themselves or also for communicating and navigating.''

I understand the intended meaning but I am not able to logically explain myself how 'to find' , 'to defend' and 'for communicating' are parallel to each other. If I remember your video on Parallelism correctly, in the fifth question the term 'prepositional phrase' has been for 'to maintain' and 'for subsidizing'. ' For subsidizing' I can understand it is a prepositional phrase but how can 'to + infinitive' be a prepositional phrase. To + gerund can be a prepositional phrase but I am missing some link definitely in seeing 'to + infinitive' as prepositional phrase. I am not concerned with the correct jargon, I will be thankful if you may just explain or guide me how 'to+ infinitive' is parallel to 'preposition + noun/pronoun'

P.S. Your videos are awesome and thank you so very much for explaining the concepts so nicely. I have seen your seven videos in the last three days and I could apply the learnings in the questions and see the result.
For others- GMATNinja Live Tips Season 1- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 8IfJaZ8qNG

Thank you so much for the kind words! Glad that the videos have helped a bit.

Here's some good news: you don't have to agonize about why "to find," "to defend," and "for communicating," are parallel. They're not! You're absolutely right that the first two are infinitive verb phrases and the last is a prepositional phrase. The construction you referenced shows up as one of the incorrect options. The correct answer fixes this issue.

Take another look at the thread analyzing this problem, and let us know if you have more questions!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Send PM
Great article!

Parallelism is one of those really essential rules that quickly distinguish an expert's English from a novice's. That's why it is so important not just from a GMAT perspective but also for anyone who intends to speak and write good English.

Kudos!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Hi Folks,

VeritasKarishma
egmat
in option c though the meaning would change, the sentence itself is grammatically correct.

retaining.... became ed modifier for the previous clause,

alter the genes.... and add.. became verbs for showing the action done by the scientists.

And in option b the only mistakes that are there

1. altering of genes that are
2. and add

Please let me know if I am wrong
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator