Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 21:14 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 21:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Friday Factoid: Stanford GSB Supports International Students [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Friday Factoid: Stanford GSB Supports International Students
With approximately 40% of a typical class at the Stanford Graduate School of Business (GSB) having been born outside the United States, the school provides a wide variety of support services for its international students. Before arriving on campus, admitted international students receive information crucial to the logistical and social challenges they may face, including how to obtain a study visa for the United States, how to obtain a U.S. Social Security number, and how to adapt to an American classroom environment. Once on campus, first-year students from outside the United States are strongly encouraged to share their perspective in global business courses and can attend seminars and workshops designed to increase their confidence and improve their skills in written and spoken English via the MBA Communication Program.

Of course, international students also frequently participate in and lead targeted student clubs, including the Africa Business Club, the Europe Club, the Asia Business Student Association, and the Middle East and North Africa Club. To help with their international career search, students can count on a dedicated international career coach. The school’s Bechtel International Center offers additional support for international students, including U.S. employment and tax workshops as well as advisory services on visa and immigration issues. In addition, the center hosts an international playgroup for children. Finally, the center provides modest stipends for the spouses of MBA students to pursue their educational and career goals through the Spouse Education Fund.

For more information on other defining characteristics of the MBA program at Stanford GSB or one of 15 other top business schools, please check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.

The post Friday Factoid: Stanford GSB Supports International Students appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: The “Right” Path [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: The “Right” Path
Each year, we hear from a few people who think their professional position is a liability when applying to business school: “I am a school teacher. Maybe if I transitioned to consulting, I would get into the school of my dreams.” Although bankers and consultants are certainly much more represented at top business schools than teachers, this is not evidence of a bias among admissions officers, but of the nature of those workplaces. Most bankers and consultants need an MBA to progress past a certain point on the corporate ladder, whereas no teacher truly needs that MBA to progress.

What is more important than focusing on an industry or on a particular community endeavor is your performance in your endeavors. Classes at top-ranked MBA programs have space for high-performing consultants, bankers, and teachers—something that cannot be said for low-performing individuals in any field. Top programs want a diversity of experience in their classrooms and the promise of achievement going forward, not a job title.

The post MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: The “Right” Path appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
GMAT Impact: Number Properties on the GMAT [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: GMAT Impact: Number Properties on the GMAT
With regard to the GMAT, raw intellectual horsepower helps, but it is not everything. In this blog series, Manhattan Prep’s Stacey Koprince teaches you how to perform at your best on test day by using some common sense.

Is the GMAT topic of number properties driving you crazy? This concept covers things that we often call “basic”—topics that we learned in middle school (or earlier), such as divisibility, factors and multiples, odds and evens, positives and negatives, and so on. I assure you, though, that number properties questions on the GMAT are anything but basic.

I strongly urge you to develop a solid grounding in this topic, particularly because the test writers are so good at disguising what these problems are really testing.

You will need some kind of book or e-book that covers this topic thoroughly, but I have some resources to help you get started.

Start with this article, “Disguising—and Decoding—Quant Problems.” We talk about how the test writers disguise material that you probably do already know, and how we can learn to “decode” the problem or strip away the camouflage.

If you feel good about the concepts discussed in that article, and you are at a higher math level, try out this challenging problem next.

In the article “Patterns in Divisibility Problems,” we examine two GMATPrep problems that share some interesting characteristics. In this article, we discuss some interesting topics related to prime numbers.

Many questions address basic characteristics of numbers, such as whether they are positive or negative, odd or even, integer or fraction/decimal. These can be disguised in various ways; two of the most common are inequalities and absolute values (which we normally associate more with algebra).

Here are two that use inequalities as a disguise for number properties concepts, one in this article  and another from this article, as well as a third one that plays around with absolute value. All three of these are generally hiding issues that deal with positive and negative properties of numbers.

And finally here are two more: a number line problem and one dealing with consecutive integers. The former tests positive and negative properties, as well as some others, and the latter covers a less-commonly-tested but still important number properties category.

The post GMAT Impact: Number Properties on the GMAT appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Monday Morning Essay Tip: Multidimensional Brainstorming, Part 2 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Monday Morning Essay Tip: Multidimensional Brainstorming, Part 2
Many MBA candidates—whether they are working as bankers or lawyers, in internal corporate finance or corporate strategy—feel they must tell a “deal story” in their application essays. Although discussing a deal can be a good idea, showing your distinct impact on the deal is what is vital—you are the central character, not the deal. As we have discussed before (Monday Morning Essay Tip: Conflict Is Compelling), a straightforward story about how you dutifully completed your work and steadily supported others as a deal became a reality is not likely to be very compelling. Further, the important thing is that the admissions committee experience your personality, not your spreadsheets.

Ask yourself the following questions to ensure that your story is truly about you:

• What did you do that was beyond expectations for your role? Did you grow into additional responsibilities at a crucial time?
  • Did any particular interactions take place in which you used your personality to change the dynamic, thereby ensuring the deal’s progress or success?
  • Did you need to take a principled stand at any moment or speak out on behalf of a needful party?
  • Did you help others overcome any corporate or international cultural barriers?
These are just a few questions to get you started, but the point remains: do not simply offer any deal, but instead provide insight into your deal.

The post Monday Morning Essay Tip: Multidimensional Brainstorming, Part 2 appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Mission Admission: The Business School Interview Is Not a Quiz Show [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Mission Admission: The Business School Interview Is Not a Quiz Show
Mission Admission is a series of MBA admission tips; a new one is posted each Tuesday.

This time of year, business school candidates are starting to interview with their target MBA programs. Many of these applicants inevitably fret and ask themselves, “What if I don’t know the answers to my interviewer’s questions?” The good news is that, as the title of this blog post states, a business school interview bears no resemblance to a TV quiz show. The admissions officer, alumnus/alumna, or student interviewing you will not ask you about esoteric topics and will not expect you to answer questions pertaining to business management. The vast majority of the questions you will encounter in your interview will pertain to your life and experiences—in other words, the interviewer will be asking you about you—so you will already have all the answers in hand from the beginning.

As a first step in preparing for your interviews, take time to reacquaint yourself with your own story, especially as you have thus far presented it to the school in your application. Go back and reread your essays, contemplate pivotal moments in your life, and consider your major accomplishments and failures. By doing so, you will be sure to have the basic knowledge necessary to perform at your very best during your interview.

Download our Interview Primers for interview tips at 15 individual business schools!

The post Mission Admission: The Business School Interview Is Not a Quiz Show appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Professor Profiles: Saras D. Sarasvathy, the University of Virginia Da [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Professor Profiles: Saras D. Sarasvathy, the University of Virginia Darden School of Business
Many MBA applicants feel that they are purchasing a brand when they choose a business school. However, the educational experience you will have is what is crucial to your future, and no one will affect your education more than your professors. Each Wednesday, we profile a standout professor as identified by students. Today, we focus on Saras D. Sarasvathy from the University of Virginia (UVA) Darden School of Business.

Saras D. Sarasvathy is the Isidore Horween Research Professor of Business Administration at UVA Darden, and she also teaches doctoral-level courses at schools in Africa, Asia, Europe, and Latin America. Sarasvathy wrote her dissertation at Carnegie Mellon on entrepreneurial expertise and has parlayed that into a specialization in the area of “effectuation,” which examines the creation and growth of new organizations and markets. Her book Effectuation: Elements of Entrepreneurial Expertise (Edward Elgar Publishing, 2009) examines the way entrepreneurs think. In addition to serving on the editorial boards of various management journals, she writes a monthly column for the business newspaper, the Economic Times. In 2015, UVA awarded Sarasvathy the Mead-Colley Honored Faculty Award for her active engagement with students. In 2007, Fortune Small Business magazine named Sarasvathy one of 18 top professors in the field of entrepreneurship.

Students we interviewed feel that Sarasvathy, who has been teaching at Darden since 2004, is one of the up-and-coming scholars of entrepreneurship in the world. One alumnus described her to mbaMission as “very encouraging, supportive. She allows people to share ideas rather than looking for the right answer.” Another told us that he found himself in her “Starting New Ventures” class by mistake; he had lingered too long in the classroom after his previous class had ended and was still there when Sarasvathy’s class began. He was so impressed by her teaching that he added her course to his schedule, even though he was already overloaded. He found even at that first lesson that she “challenged conventional beliefs,” and he was “impressed at her insights and the way that she articulated basic assumptions to bring out the less obvious, deeper levels.”

For some interesting perspectives on entrepreneurship and business, see Sarasvathy’s presentations on BigThink at https://bigthink.com/sarassarasvathy.

For more information about UVA Darden and 15 other top-ranked business schools, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.

The post Professor Profiles: Saras D. Sarasvathy, the University of Virginia Darden School of Business appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
MBA Career News: Creating a Job Search Plan [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Career News: Creating a Job Search Plan
In this new blog series, our mbaMissionCareer Coaches offer invaluable advice and industry-related news to help you actively manage your career. Topics include building your network, learning from mistakes and setbacks, perfecting your written communication, and mastering even the toughest interviews. To schedule a free half-hour consultation with one of our mbaMission Career Coaches, click here.

As you look to embark on a new job search, we strongly encourage you to create a job search plan to maximize your effectiveness, track your progress, and maintain your motivation. A comprehensive plan will include the following steps and questions to ask yourself at each step in the process:

STEP 1: Create a timeline for your job search process and include weekly job search goals.

• How much time will I need for each job search step?
  • How many hours will I/do I have to devote to the job search each week?
  • What materials do I need to create before engaging in my job search (e.g., updating your resume/LinkedIn profile, drafting your networking pitch)?
  • What are my milestones/decision points in the process?
  • How will I keep myself on track? What is the best format or system for tracking my goals and progress?

STEP 2: Conduct a self-assessment. Identify and write down your potential target roles.

• What drives my job satisfaction?
  • What is my target role—industry, function, location?
  • What type of firm do I want to work for (e.g., size of organization, culture)?
  • What are the skills/experience required for my target role?
STEP 3: Brainstorm and create a list of eight to ten target companies.

• What companies am I interested in? Why?
  • How can I identify other companies of interest?
  • Where can I identify current job postings?
STEP 4: Prepare for and begin networking.

• What are my goals for networking?
  • How will I connect with my target employers?
  • What resources will I use to identify leads at my target companies?
  • What relationships can I leverage to connect with people at my target companies?
  • How will I approach potential contacts?
  • What is my networking pitch?
  • What questions should I ask during networking conversations?
  • How will I track my conversations?
STEP 5: Update your resume and write cover letters.

• Do I have a tailored resume and cover letter for the industry and function I am interested in?
STEP 6: Prepare for your interviews.

• What is the format/style of the interviews in my target areas of interest?
  • What is my personal brand? What are my two to three key selling points?
  • What are the five to seven accomplishment stories I will tell during interviews to showcase my relevant skill set?
The Career Coaches at mbaMission are available to help you overcome any obstacles you encounter in the process of creating or executing your job search plan. Click here to request your free half-hour consultation with an mbaMission Career Coach today!

The post MBA Career News: Creating a Job Search Plan appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Beyond the MBA Classroom: 40 Years of Wharton Follies [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Beyond the MBA Classroom: 40 Years of Wharton Follies
When you select an MBA program, you are not just choosing your learning environment but are also committing to becoming part of a community. Each Thursday, we offer a window into life “beyond the MBA classroom” at a top business school.

The Wharton Follies is both an annual musical comedy production that pokes fun at MBA life at Wharton and one of the school’s largest clubs, and it affords students the opportunity to shine in both creative and business roles. Entirely written, produced, and performed by students and boasting a six-figure budget, it is one of the largest and longest-running such productions at any graduate program. Follies has run at Wharton for four decades and typically features prominent members of the administration (including the dean, vice dean, and director of admissions) and popular faculty members in cameo appearances.

The specific theme changes every year. The theme in 2016 was “Back to the Follies: 40th Anniversary Show”; in 2015, it was “The Huntsman Hangover”; and in 2014, it was “The Book of Wharton.” In addition to a live component, the Follies typically involve a number of video sketches, such as 2016’s “40 Years of Wharton” and 2015’s “Business School Stereotypes”. In 2014’s “Lord of the GSR,” a play on Lord of the Flies, a group of students become trapped in a graduate study room. The 2013 sketch “MBAs Assemble a Malm Bed from IKEA,” which depicts students from various top-ranked business schools proposing different strategies for furniture assembly, is especially notable, with nearly 100,000 views as of this posting. A second year with whom we spoke explained that part of the appeal of Follies is that it “show[s] off student talent that you wouldn’t otherwise be able to witness.”

For in-depth descriptions of social and community activities at Wharton and 15 other top MBA programs, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.

The post Beyond the MBA Classroom: 40 Years of Wharton Follies appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Diamonds in the Rough: Simon Business School [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Diamonds in the Rough: Simon Business School

Simon Business School at the University of Rochester

MBA applicants can get carried away with rankings. In this series, we profile amazing programs at business schools that are typically ranked outside the top 15.

The full-time MBA program at the Simon Business School at the University of Rochester offers a broadly finance-oriented general management curriculum featuring particular strengths in analytics and accounting. Simon’s program is built on a foundation of nine core courses, including “Managerial Economics,” “Capital Budgeting and Corporate Objectives,” and “Marketing Management,” as well as a communication sequence.

Students complete their core with an assigned study team before exploring more specialized professional interests. The school’s elective courses represent a variety of industries and functions, such as entrepreneurship, consulting, and real estate. Students may choose among 11 optional career concentrations, ranging from Competitive and Organizational Strategy (which includes both a Pricing track and a Strategy and Organizations track) and Marketing (which includes tracks in Brand Management, Pricing, and Marketing Strategy), to such analysis-heavy fields as Business Systems Consulting and Computers and Information Systems. In addition, the Simon MBA EDGE Program provides students with opportunities for personal development in such areas as problem solving, communication, and leadership through involvement in activities including clubs, advisory boards, and other groups on campus, as well as case competitions and projects with area companies. The program aims to complement knowledge learned in the classroom and increase students’ value to potential employers.

Simon’s Ain Center for Entrepreneurship, Center for Information Intensive Services, and Center for Pricing offer curricular and research support to supplement the specific career concentrations. Simon is also home to more than 30 professional and social student-run organizations aimed at coordinating networking events and professional development resources to assist students in advancing their careers.

The post Diamonds in the Rough: Simon Business School appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Friday Factoid: Global Perspectives at Wharton [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Friday Factoid: Global Perspectives at Wharton
To think that the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania excels only in churning out investment bankers and management consultants would be a mistake. In fact, Wharton boasts a truly international program, ranked #5 in this area in the 2017 U.S. News & World Report MBA specialty rankings.

A full 32% of the school’s Class of 2018 is composed of international students representing 71 countries, and 15.5% of the school’s 2015 graduates took jobs outside the United States. Students who wish to study international business at Wharton have no shortage of options for doing so, including the following:

• Numerous students study at a partner school each year. One popular option is to leverage Wharton’s alliance with INSEAD by taking classes at one of that program’s campuses in Fontainebleau, France, or in Singapore. Alternatively, students can choose a semester-long international exchange program option at one of 17 partner schools in 15 different countries.
  • Students who wish to pursue a dual degree in business and international studies can combine a Wharton MBA with an MA in International Studies from the Lauder Institute, a 24-month intensive program designed for those who seek to conduct high-level business in a country other than the United States. This program has been described by Bloomberg Businessweek as “arguably the single best global management experience anywhere.”

For more information on other defining characteristics of the MBA program at Wharton or one of 15 other top business schools, please check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.

The post Friday Factoid: Global Perspectives at Wharton appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: I Have No Managerial Experience [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: I Have No Managerial Experience

It might seem ironic to some that formal managerial experience is not a prerequisite for admission to a top MBA program. It is important to keep in mind that an MBA education is for those who aspire to become managers and is not exclusive to those who already are managers. If you are fretting about the fact that you have not had any subordinates to date and feel that overseeing a staff is a prerequisite to gaining admission to a top program, you are adhering to a myth and should worry no more. Instead, think about how you have simply excelled in your position and made the most of the leadership opportunities before you.

So, for example, consider the numerous investment banking analysts who apply to MBA programs each year. While analysts are at the bottom of the banks’ organizational charts and therefore do not have staffs to manage, they still have demanding jobs and must perform exceptionally well each day to succeed. Most analysts can tell the story of thriving in an ultra-competitive environment and thus reveal their professional excellence via their resumes, essays, and recommendations. And, even if most analysts do not have staffs of their own, there are still ample opportunities for senior analysts to train and mentor newer analysts. So, without a title and a staff, investment banking analysts can still demonstrate their leadership and de facto management skills.

The post MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: I Have No Managerial Experience appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
GMAT Impact: Exercise Makes You Smarter [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: GMAT Impact: Exercise Makes You Smarter
With regard to the GMAT, raw intellectual horsepower helps, but it is not everything. In this blog series, Manhattan Prep’s Stacey Koprince teaches you how to perform at your best on test day by using some common sense.

Back in 2013, the New York Times’ Well blog featured a fascinating post. Exercise has a whole host of good benefits, including benefits associated with memory. Two studies delved even deeper into how this works.

How does exercise help memory?

In the blog post, New York Times journalist Gretchen Reynolds details two studies—one conducted on humans and the other conducted on rats.

In the human study, elderly women who already had some mild cognitive impairment were split into three groups. One group lifted weights, the second group engaged in moderate aerobic exercise, and the third group did yoga-like activities.

The participants were tested at the beginning and end of the six-month exercise period, and the results were striking. First, bear in mind that, in general, we would expect elderly people who are already experiencing mental decline to continue down that path over time. Indeed, after six months, the yoga group (the “control” group) showed a mild decline in several aspects of verbal memory.

The weight-training and aerobic groups, by contrast, actually improved their performance on several tests (remember, this was six months later!). The women were better at both making new memories and remembering/retrieving old ones!

Another group of researchers conducted a similar study, only this time, rats were getting some cardio in or lifting weights. (The rats ran on wheels for the cardio exercise and, get this, for the weight lifting, the researchers tied little weights to the rats’ tails and had them climb tiny ladders!)

At the end of six weeks, the running rats showed increased levels of a brain protein that helps create new brain cells. The tail-weight-trainers had higher levels of a different protein that helps new neurons survive.

How can I use this? Get up and MOVE!

Reading this study has made me want to exercise more—and not even for the GMAT! I would like to stave off mental decline in my old age.

The women in the study were performing fairly mild exercises only twice a week (remember, they were elderly), so we do not suddenly have to become fitness fiends. We do not know, of course, exactly how the study results might translate to younger people, but the general trend is clear: exercise can help us make and retain memories. That is crucially important when studying for the GMAT—every last bit will help!

Get a little bit of both weight training and cardio in every week. You do not have to become a gym rat (pun intended). Engaging in some moderate activity every few days is probably enough. Look for ways to incorporate mild exercise into your daily routine. For example, when I go to the grocery store, I carry a basket around on my arm rather than push a cart (unless I really have to buy a lot). I will fill that basket right up to the brim—often, I end up having to use both hands to continue carrying the thing. I figure that every time I do that, it has to be worth at least 10 to 15 minutes of pumping iron!

Studying for the GMAT is tiring, so use this news as an excuse to take a brain break. Get up and walk around the block for 15 minutes, or turn on some music and dance or run the vacuum cleaner (vigorously!). Then sit back down and enjoy the brain fruits of your physical labors.

The post GMAT Impact: Exercise Makes You Smarter appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Eleven James Founder Randy Brandoff Discusses His Journey from Private [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Eleven James Founder Randy Brandoff Discusses His Journey from Private Jets to Luxury Watches

Randy Brandoff, Founder of Eleven James

Today, many aspiring MBAs and MBA graduates want to join start-ups or launch such companies themselves. Is entrepreneurship as exciting as it seems? Is it really for you? mbaMission Founder Jeremy Shinewald has teamed up with Venture for America and CBS Interactive to launch Smart People Should Build Things: The Venture for America Podcast. Each week, Shinewald interviews another entrepreneur so you can hear the gritty stories of their ups and downs on the road to success.

Randy Brandoff, whose brother Evan was recently a guest on the podcast series, founded luxury watch club Eleven James after spending more than a decade working for private jet company Marquis Jet and later Avión Tequila. Eleven James offers its customers access to some of the world’s most prestigious watch brands for an annual membership fee. Listen to the podcast to hear how Brandoff came to establish his company, as he discusses these details and more:

• How he got into marketing at Marquis Jet with no previous experience in the field
  • Why, when launching a high-end tequila later in his career, Brandoff’s aim was to achieve the status of the second-best tequila on the market
  • What it was about luxury watches that pulled Brandoff in and made him decide to launch Eleven James
Subscribe to the podcast series to hear each episode as it is released!

The post Eleven James Founder Randy Brandoff Discusses His Journey from Private Jets to Luxury Watches appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Monday Morning Essay Tip: Overrepresenting Your Overrepresentation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Monday Morning Essay Tip: Overrepresenting Your Overrepresentation
Many MBA applicants worry that they are overrepresented—male investment bankers and Indian software engineers, in particular. Applicants cannot change their work histories, of course, but they can change the way they introduce themselves to the admissions committee. Consider the following examples:

Example 1: “As an investment banker, I…”

Example 2: “Managing a team to code a new software product for ABC Corp., I…”

In these brief examples, each candidate introduces the very overrepresentation that he/she would like to minimize. Many applicants feel they must start their essays by presenting their titles or company names, but this approach can immediately make the reader pause and think, “Here we go again.”

Overrepresented business school candidates should therefore consider the opening lines of their essays especially carefully. Rather than stating the obvious, an applicant might instead immerse the reader in a situation or present a special aspect of his/her position:

Example 1 (launching into a story): “At 5:30 pm, I could rest easy. The deadline for all other offers had passed. At that point, I knew…”

Example 2 (stand out): “While managing a multinational team, half in Silicon Valley and half in Pakistan, I…”

In the first example here, the banker candidate avoids drab self-introduction and instead plunges the reader into the midst of a mystery that is playing out. In the second example, the software engineer candidate introduces him-/herself not as a “coder” but as a multinational manager. Of course, every applicant’s situation is different, but with some effort, your story can be told in a way that avoids the pitfalls of overrepresentation.

The post Monday Morning Essay Tip: Overrepresenting Your Overrepresentation appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Try Our Video Essay and Video Interview Prep Service! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Try Our Video Essay and Video Interview Prep Service!
Recorded video essays and interviews are an innovation, allowing business schools to get to know their candidates better and assess their natural communication style. This application season, top business schools such as the Kellogg School of Management, the Yale School of Management, and INSEAD are asking applicants to complete video portions of their applications, surprising and even worrying some business school candidates.

To spur you along, we offer a unique new service. Our Video Essay and Video Interview Prep Service is an in-depth preparation session that follows a simple, three-step process to help you prepare for these challenging (but hopefully fun!) new application components:

• Get camera ready: We will offer best practices for effectively arranging your computer/environment to ensure that you project maturity and professionalism.
  • Practice on your own: We will share a preparation guide and questions from actual past video interviews, so that you will have the tools to independently practice and improve your improvisation skills.
  • Practice with an mbaMission Senior Consultant: Most importantly, we will create a live simulation of your target school’s video interview and work with you one-on-one to ensure that you are comfortable and confident in your ability to relax, be yourself, improvise on camera, and communicate succinctly within the school’s required time limits.

If you would like to benefit from our preparation sessions (which cost $525), please visit our Web site to purchase one.

Do you need broader advice on several components of your application? What are your chances of being admitted? How can you differentiate yourself from so many other applicants? What is the best way to showcase your accomplishments or mitigate your weaknesses? Start getting answers to all your questions by taking advantage of a free 30-minute consultation with an expert from mbaMission’sSenior Consultant team.

The post Try Our Video Essay and Video Interview Prep Service! appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Mission Admission: Wait Patiently for Interview Invitations [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Mission Admission: Wait Patiently for Interview Invitations
Mission Admission is a series of MBA admission tips; a new one is posted each Tuesday.

As business school interview invitations begin to roll out, do your best to remain calm and let the admissions committees do their work. Although becoming a little apprehensive is natural if you have not yet received an invitation, you will certainly not increase your chances of receiving one by calling the Admissions Office and asking if the school does indeed have all your files or if an interview decision has been made. In fact, such calls can actually have a negative effect on your candidacy, inadvertently making you seem pushy or even belligerent.

Admissions Offices are increasingly transparent and should be taken at their word. If they say they are still releasing decisions, then they are in fact still doing so. If they say that the timing of your interview decision does not signify an order of preference, then it does not. Unless something has changed materially in your candidacy, all you can really do—as painful as it may be—is wait patiently and try not to think about the decision or second-guess your status.

The post Mission Admission: Wait Patiently for Interview Invitations appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
B-School-Specific Essay Writing Webinar: October 13, 2016 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: B-School-Specific Essay Writing Webinar: October 13, 2016
With so many business schools to choose from and so many different essay questions, how do you decide what to write for which MBA program? And how do you make sure your essays stand out?

Our “B-School-Specific Essay Extravaganza” will help you tailor your application essay ideas for your preferred MBA programs and then execute them in a way that ensures your stories stand out. Experienced mbaMission senior consultants will explain the nuances of how to brainstorm topics, structure your essays, and assemble a compelling overall MBA application.

In addition, for this special essay writing webinar, you will select two business schools from the following list. During the session, participants will break out into separate groups and rooms based on their chosen b-schools and attend focused sessions specifically targeting those programs’ essay questions and presenting strategies for answering them.

– Columbia Business School (CBS)

– Harvard Business School (HBS)

– MIT Sloan School of Management

– Northwestern’s Kellogg School of Management

Attendees will have the opportunity to ask both general and school-specific follow-up questions at the end of the presentations.

mbaMission Senior Consultant Jessica Shklar will lead the presentation, while school-specific breakout sessions and Q&A will be conducted by mbaMission President and Founder Jeremy Shinewald (HBS), along with mbaMission Senior Consultants Dan Richards (Kellogg), Rachel Beck (CBS), and Liza Weale (MIT).

Please join us for this valuable and unique event that will prove essential to your MBA planning!

Space is limited! Register for free today!

The post B-School-Specific Essay Writing Webinar: October 13, 2016 appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
   1  ...  75   76   77   78   79  ...  179   
Moderator:
1452 posts