Last visit was: 21 May 2024, 13:08 It is currently 21 May 2024, 13:08
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Real Estate
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Real Estate (Real Estate)
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Send PM
Re: Request - Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi again, happy to help. You will absolutely get a fair shake in the admissions process...while your GPA will raise significant concerns, I've never heard of any school immediately filtering someone out for a low GPA. In fact, in most cases your entire file will be read multiple times by more than one admissions person. And, in some ways, a low GPA is a better problem to have because you can show growth and maturity since then. I have personally worked with applicants who've had similar GPAs and been accepted to programs. You do need to be realistic and smart about your school choices, and keep up that networking and engagement with your target schools, that can definitely pay off to have people pulling for you!

-Kate

devereaux110 wrote:
Thank you, Kate! Your comments are quite affirming. I believe I have a great deal to offer any MBA program--particularly those with strong real estate concentrations--but I am very concerned that my skills, achievements, and experience (not to mention my graduate degree and awards) won't get a fair consideration due to my undergraduate GPA from 10 years ago being what it is. I'm sure ad-coms wouldn't do that, particularly given the circumstances, but I really don't want the undergrad GPA to be a non-starter.

Now I am facing the challenge of distilling my experiences and ambitions into mostly bite-sized pieces and I am certainly using the Optional Essay to discuss my circumstances and how they've contributed to making me who I am today, and try to allay any concern regarding my ability to handle the rigor of an MBA program. In my opinion, my biggest challenge in that regard is going to be maximum essay lengths.

I've attended MBA events at Wisconsin and the ad-coms know who I am and what I can contribute to their program so I feel better about my overall prospects there. I also met an ad-com for Kenan-Flagler and some alumni in Chicago, and that seemed like potentially a great fit, so that was encouraging. Still---the undergraduate GPA issue looms. Ad-coms from both schools emphasized doing well on the GMAT, and I think I did pretty well, but I can't help but ask myself if I did well enough. Right now I think my efforts would be better spent on the essays.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Thanks again, Kate. That is really good to know.

I have one last question---If all goes well, and one or more of my target schools decide to offer admission, in your opinion do you think my profile, in its entirety, might be competitive for some sort of financial aid/scholarship? I do realize that every school is different with respect to financial packages and perhaps it's hard to speculate, but I am curious as to what you think may be possible.
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
That is really hard to predict, but it's certainly possible. You'd have better chances of scholarship at lower ranked schools, ones where your GMAT is significantly above their average. Not that GMAT is the only consideration but that's just a good proxy for predicting chances. If you have questions about MBA financing and want to think ahead about that, you might want to check out our partner M7 Financial, see here: https://www.m7financial.com/

-Kate

devereaux110 wrote:
Thanks again, Kate. That is really good to know.

I have one last question---If all goes well, and one or more of my target schools decide to offer admission, in your opinion do you think my profile, in its entirety, might be competitive for some sort of financial aid/scholarship? I do realize that every school is different with respect to financial packages and perhaps it's hard to speculate, but I am curious as to what you think may be possible.
Moderator:
1457 posts