Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 16:32 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
Re: Scored just 580 on GMAT. When should I Retake? (Need over 100 points i [#permalink]
Almost forgot ...
You can also go through the debriefs of users on the GMAT club who were in the same pool. This would give you an idea on what all you can do, materials you can use, strategies you can use, and what went wrong in the earlier attempt.

All the best
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Scored just 580 on GMAT. When should I Retake? (Need over 100 points i [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi gunjan01,

From your post, you seem to understand that you didn't put in the proper study before this attempt at the GMAT, so now you have to invest the necessary time and effort, and make the necessary changes to your study routine, for this next attempt. Raising a 580 to a 700+ will require some significant effort on your part - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. That work will likely take another 2-3 months of consistent, guided study. You would also likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Scored just 580 on GMAT. When should I Retake? (Need over 100 points i [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi gunjan01,

From your post, you seem to understand that you didn't put in the proper study before this attempt at the GMAT, so now you have to invest the necessary time and effort, and make the necessary changes to your study routine, for this next attempt. Raising a 580 to a 700+ will require some significant effort on your part - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. That work will likely take another 2-3 months of consistent, guided study. You would also likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

Rich

Thank you for your reply.

I did study, but I would say it was not organised or strategic. I completed OG, verbal review, quant review 2017 twice. The thing is I didn't do timed practice or took many prep tests.

I don't want to delay my retake anymore than May. Else, I might get deviated from studies.

For quant: I used MGMAT guides and except geometry, I am pretty comfortable with the concepts.

Well, this time, I am ready to put in all effort.

1)I am planning to apply in Round 1

2) Schools: HAAS, Berkeley
London Business School
Judge Business School
HEC Paris
IE business school, Spain

Might apply to some more depending on gmat score.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Originally posted by gunjan01 on 31 Mar 2017, 23:56.
Last edited by gunjan01 on 31 Mar 2017, 23:59, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Shiv2016 wrote:
Almost forgot ...
You can also go through the debriefs of users on the GMAT club who were in the same pool. This would give you an idea on what all you can do, materials you can use, strategies you can use, and what went wrong in the earlier attempt.

All the best

Thank you!

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q49 V35
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
gunjan01 wrote:
Hello Members,

I took my GMAT today and scored just 580, so I cancelled my score. I wasn't prepared well enough for the test, but still I was expecting around 620. This score is really disappointing.
Please suggest me strategies to improve my score. I would settle for nothing less 700. I need to improve by more than 100 points.

When should I retake GMAT?

What should be my approach now?

Experience from today's test: I am really slow. I take way more than time to solve a quant question. I know how to solve or get answers to most questions, but I take 3-4 minutes in most of the questions. I had to rush through 11-12 questions in the end, in which I guessed blindly. Didn't have time to guess wisely.

Verbal: my verbal has been strong throughout my practice, but still I scored just 32. Here again, I had 11 questions to go with just 10 minutes remaining.

Looking forward to your replies. It's really important to me to get good score and I am ready to work for it.

P.S: it's difficult to hold on to tears!

I think you need to practice taking quant questions. Try to aim for 2m per question. From my experience this can only be achieved by lots of practice.

For your target score, I would say you are on track in the verbal part. I think a Q45 or 46 would get you 620. To get to 700 you must first make sure you get 46 in quant then improve on that to 48+ and then you would want to work on the verbal section to improve from V32 to V36-38.

I hope this helps!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6127 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
gunjan01 wrote:
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi gunjan01,

Rich

I did study, but I would say it was not organised or strategic. I completed OG, verbal review, quant review 2017 twice. The thing is I didn't do timed practice or took many prep tests.

I don't want to delay my retake anymore than May. Else, I might get deviated from studies.

For quant: I used MGMAT guides and except geometry, I am pretty comfortable with the concepts.

London Business School
Judge Business School
HEC Paris

The problems with you are that you just studied without any strategy and practiced without time management. Actually, GMAT questions are not too hard, and anyone could easily get 750+ if they have the whole day to take the test. This means that GMAT questions are hard when test takers are under time pressure. You need to deal with that if you want to have higher score. Also, from 580 to 700+ within 1 months is a long long way to go. I don't think it's a good idea to take the test too soon.

I think that the first thing need change is your studying methods. How are you studying? You could explain your studying methods here and some experts could make some advice for you. Since you said that you had completed 3 OGs twice, this means you've spent a lot of time for preparing, but just get 580. This is really a paradox and means that your ways have some problems need fixed.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Abulsirr wrote:
gunjan01 wrote:
Hello Members,

I took my GMAT today and scored just 580, so I cancelled my score. I wasn't prepared well enough for the test, but still I was expecting around 620. This score is really disappointing.
Please suggest me strategies to improve my score. I would settle for nothing less 700. I need to improve by more than 100 points.

When should I retake GMAT?

What should be my approach now?

Experience from today's test: I am really slow. I take way more than time to solve a quant question. I know how to solve or get answers to most questions, but I take 3-4 minutes in most of the questions. I had to rush through 11-12 questions in the end, in which I guessed blindly. Didn't have time to guess wisely.

Verbal: my verbal has been strong throughout my practice, but still I scored just 32. Here again, I had 11 questions to go with just 10 minutes remaining.

Looking forward to your replies. It's really important to me to get good score and I am ready to work for it.

P.S: it's difficult to hold on to tears!

I think you need to practice taking quant questions. Try to aim for 2m per question. From my experience this can only be achieved by lots of practice.

For your target score, I would say you are on track in the verbal part. I think a Q45 or 46 would get you 620. To get to 700 you must first make sure you get 46 in quant then improve on that to 48+ and then you would want to work on the verbal section to improve from V32 to V36-38.

I hope this helps!

Thank you.

I know, I really need to work on my quant score. But what surprised me was my verbal. I was scoring more than 36 in verbal on prep test. Verbal was my strength, but after this score I am just confused how my score went down.

I can try to push my verbal to 40, I can do that. But I am really slow at working with quant questions. I take time in calculations and I recheck to be sure.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Scored just 580 on GMAT. When should I Retake? (Need over 100 points i [#permalink]
nguyendinhtuong wrote:
gunjan01 wrote:
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi gunjan01,

Rich

London Business School
Judge Business School
HEC Paris

The problems with you are that you just studied without any strategy and practiced without time management. Actually, GMAT questions are not too hard, and anyone could easily get 750+ if they have the whole day to take the test. This means that GMAT questions are hard when test takers are under time pressure. You need to deal with that if you want to have higher score. Also, from 580 to 700+ within 1 months is a long long way to go. I don't think it's a good idea to take the test too soon.

I think that the first thing need change is your studying methods. How are you studying? You could explain your studying methods here and some experts could make some advice for you. Since you said that you had completed 3 OGs twice, this means you've spent a lot of time for preparing, but just get 580. This is really a paradox and means that your ways have some problems need fixed.

Thank you.

So what happened was, I started studying for GMAT last year in march. I joined classes and I took 15 days off in June to prepare and give my GMAT. In those 15 days, I completed all OGs. But then, I scored less on my prep test, which completely changed my mind. So I rescheduled my test to Jan 2017. I didn't study at all in this duration. I again rescheduled the test to March from jan. This time I started my studies from feb last and revised all OGs. I find quant very easy in OGs as compared to prep tests and GMAT.

This time I focused heavily on quant. For verbal, I just revised Verbal review.

Also, I did invest lot of time in last few days. I solved lot of questions but I didn't time myself. That's where I went wrong, I guess.

I am targeting to retake by May end that is two months. Ain't that enough to get this right and push the score beyond 700??

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi gunjan01,

One of the great aspects of GMAT questions is that they almost always can be solved using more than one approach. Thus, getting a question correct is not the only goal - you have to think about HOW you're getting the question correct (and whether the approach that you're using is the most efficient way to get to the correct answer or not). Based on what you described about your pacing issues, "your way" of approaching GMAT questions is taking too long; if you have to guess on over 10 questions per section (because you're low on time), then there will likely be a limit to how high you can score.

You could potentially hit your score goal in 2 months, but you will have to change the way that you 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT. If you continue to study in the same ways as before, and answer questions in the same ways as before, then you will likely continue to score at this same general level. As such, you will likely need to invest in some new GMAT materials and focus on learning/practicing the proper Tactics.

Rich
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1467 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
for quant finish mgmat books and use official questions for practice.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2854 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi gunjan01 ,

Around 3 months should be good enough time to improve your score. If you are willing to study dedicatedly for that period, you are sure to achieve your goal. I believe you may benefit from taking an additional course. If you are willing, there are some great GMAT prep companies that can help you with your preparation.

In order to make an informed decision I would highly encourage you to go to their websites and try on their free trial and decide for yourself which one do you like better. Further I see you are a new member here at GMATCLUB and when you sign up at GMATCLUB you get a free 3 days access to EMPOWERgmat course. In fact it is the only way to get the deal which is very kool. You can free access to Magoosh and Optimus Prep so try those out as well.

Also I would highly encourage you to consider e-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live course. They are both amazing courses especially designed for non-natives and they are both within your budget. They offer almost 25% of their courses for free so you can try out their free trial to decide which one you want to go for. Plus the e-gmat Scholaranium which is included in both the courses is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market.

You can also try out the MGMAT guides they are phenomenal and cover the entire syllabus well. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.
Lastly I would also encourage you to purchase the latest version of OG and the verbal review for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... 68383.html

Hope this helps. All the best.
GMAT Club Bot