Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 14:52 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [7]
Given Kudos: 510
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 428 [0]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Send PM
Re: Some epidemiologists believe that the Ebola virus originally has [#permalink]
I had selected A instead of D because though D has similar construction and I understand the point of present perfect not required here as the non-underlined section mentions "originally", thus negating the use of present perfect and past tense, emerged is a good choice.

However in the option D, emerged comes after originally and thereafter a comma. I got confused on whether this is a verbed modifier. I still need this clarification
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 428 [0]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Re: Some epidemiologists believe that the Ebola virus originally has [#permalink]
ruchi857 wrote:
I had selected A instead of D because though D has similar construction and I understand the point of present perfect not required here as the non-underlined section mentions "originally", thus negating the use of present perfect and past tense, emerged is a good choice.

However in the option D, emerged comes after originally and thereafter a comma. I got confused on whether this is a verbed modifier. I still need this clarification

Kindly help carcass souvik101990

Actually right option is using the placement of emerged right after originally because it shows that initially how one thing emerged. In fact present perfect is wrong because something has happened in the past.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7777 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ruchi857, I don't see a comma in any of the choices. "Emerged" is the verb for the subject "Ebola virus." It's not a modifier.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
ruchi857 wrote:
Some epidemiologists believe that the Ebola virus originally has emerged from an animal host in less populated regions of Africa where there is more frequent contact between humans and wild animals.

A. has emerged from an animal host in less populated regions of Africa where there is more frequent contact

B. was emerging from an animal host in a sparsely populated region of Africa where there is contact more frequent

C. emerged from an animal host where there is more frequent contact in a sparsely populated region of Africa

D. emerged from an animal host in less populated regions of Africa where there is more frequent contact

E. was emerging in a sparsely populated region of Africa from an animal host where there is more frequent contact

look at choice A and C. why present perfect is wrong here.
2 cases for present perfect
first, it is used to show an action from the past until presetn. this is not the case in here.

second , it is used to show a finished action in an unfinished time frame. it sound good that it is the case in here. but no.

the finished action must be happen in the unfinished time frame. this action must go with an unfinished time words such as this month or this year. I have learn english this month. the implication is that in the period of this month (until present), I have learned english.

so, second case is not fit inhere. "emerging" dose not happen in an unfinished time. there is no unfinished time in this context of "believed" .

so, has emerged is incorrect inhere.

this analysis require proper understanding of present perfect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
A is the correct option.Why D kindly please explain?

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5652 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
ruchi857 wrote:
Some epidemiologists believe that the Ebola virus originally has emerged from an animal host in less populated regions of Africa where there is more frequent contact between humans and wild animals.

A. has emerged from an animal host in less populated regions of Africa where there is more frequent contact

B. was emerging from an animal host in a sparsely populated region of Africa where there is contact more frequent

C. emerged from an animal host where there is more frequent contact in a sparsely populated region of Africa

D. emerged from an animal host in less populated regions of Africa where there is more frequent contact

E. was emerging in a sparsely populated region of Africa from an animal host where there is more frequent contact

Official Explanation:

Since the underlined portion of the sentence contains a verb, check whether the verb is consistent with the rest of the sentence. The present perfect tense verb has emerged suggests that the action is ongoing, even though the sentence indicates that the action occurred and ended in the past, which makes the simple past the correct tense. This is a verb tense error, so eliminate choice A and look for any obvious repeaters. There are no obvious repeaters, so evaluate the remaining answer choices individually, looking for reasons to eliminate each.

Choice B incorrectly uses the past progressive tense was emerging, even though the sentence requires the simple past tense, so eliminate choice B. Choice C corrects the verb tense error by using the simple past tense form emerged, but creates a modifier error by placing the phrase, where there is more frequent contact, after host rather than after sparsely populated region of Africa, thereby changing the meaning of the sentence. Eliminate choice C. Choice D corrects the verb tense error by using the simple past tense form emerged, and introduces no new errors, so keep choice D. Choice E incorrectly uses the past progressive tense was emerging, even though the sentence requires the simple past tense form emerged, so eliminate choice E.

Choice A: No. This choice incorrectly uses the present perfect tense verb has emerged in a sentence that requires the simple past tense emerged. Verb tense.

Choice B: No. This choice incorrectly uses the past progressive tense was emerging in a sentence that requires the simple past tense emerged. Verb tense.

Choice C: No. The phrase, where there is more frequent contact, incorrectly modifies host rather than sparsely populated region of Africa. Misplaced modifier.

Choice D: Correct

Choice E: No. This choice incorrectly uses the past progressive tense was emerging in a sentence that requires the simple past tense emerged. Verb tense.

The correct answer is choice D.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts