Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 14:54 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619480 [10]
Given Kudos: 81611
Send PM
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [2]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Given Kudos: 77
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Other (Education)
Send PM
Re: Five friends visited a used book store and each friend purchased one [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Five friends visited a used book store and each friend purchased one book. No two friends paid the same amount for a book, and the lowest book price was $1. If the sum of all book prices was $25, what is the maximum price that any one book cost, rounded to the nearest dollar?

A. $15
B. $17
C. $19
D. $21
E. $23

The better approach would be to start with the options.
(E)Let us say the rate for the costliest book is 23. We know the least book's price is 1 and total is 25. So the sum of the costs of other 3 books will be (25-23-1) = 1
This is not an acceptable value for the sum of 3 books since we already know that the least book's price is 1.

(D)If the rate for the costliest book is 21, sum of the costs of other 3 books will be (25-21-1)=3
This is also not possible. If sum of costs=3, maximum possible case for the cost of each book is \(\frac{3}{3}\)=1
However since the cost of each book is distinct, this is also not possible.

(C)If the rate for the costliest book is 21, sum of the costs of other 3 books will be (25-1-19) = 5.
Each book can have a different value if the sum of the 3 books is 5 and the condition of least value being 1 can be maintained.
So the maximum cost possible is 19.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 454
Send PM
Re: Five friends visited a used book store and each friend purchased one [#permalink]
I can't wait to see the answer..
There are several answer here.. I want to know which one is right
Myself calculate the questions by assuming cost of each book is in integer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Send PM
I doubt that kind of question can be on real GMAT
can someone comment please?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
sarathgopinath wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Five friends visited a used book store and each friend purchased one book. No two friends paid the same amount for a book, and the lowest book price was $1. If the sum of all book prices was $25, what is the maximum price that any one book cost, rounded to the nearest dollar?

A. $15
B. $17
C. $19
D. $21
E. $23

(E)Let us say the rate for the costliest book is 23. We know the least book's price is 1 and total is 25. So the sum of the costs of other 3 books will be (25-23-1) = 1
This is not an acceptable value for the sum of 3 books since we already know that the least book's price is 1.

(D)If the rate for the costliest book is 21, sum of the costs of other 3 books will be (25-21-1)=3
This is also not possible. If sum of costs=3, maximum possible case for the cost of each book is \(\frac{3}{3}\)=1

(C)If the rate for the costliest book is 21, sum of the costs of other 3 books will be (25-1-19) = 5.
Each book can have a different value if the sum of the 3 books is 5 and the condition of least value being 1 can be maintained.

How about 25 - 20.9 - 1
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Other (Education)
Send PM
Five friends visited a used book store and each friend purchased one [#permalink]
pradeepmaria wrote:
sarathgopinath wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. $15
B. $17
C. $19
D. $21
E. $23

How about 25 - 20.9 - 1

Yes, 20.9 is possible and the question asks you to round it to the closest value. But the closer value being 21, which is not an acceptable value, I don't think we can do that.
Again, this is what I think is true. May be you are right.
The closest possible value of 20.9 should be 20, which is not there in options. Next possible closest value is 19.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35499 [0]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Five friends visited a used book store and each friend purchased one [#permalink]
Expert Reply
pushpitkc wrote:
The minimum price per book is 1$.
Since each of the friends need to buy 1 book, and the total cost of the books is 25$
the costliest book that could be bought is 21$(since the other books are bought at 1$ each)

Hence, Option D is the correct answer!

P.S It is very easy to mistake "No two friends paid the same amount for a book"
to mean "no two friends bought a book for the same price"

pushpitkc , I don't follow your logic in the P.S.

Take the essence of each of your sentences and write each sentence in the corresponding singular affirmative case (where each of four friends A, B, C, and D parts with one dollar for one book):

"No two friends paid the same amount for a book."
A paid the amount of $1 for a book.
B paid the amount of $1 for a book.
C paid the amount of $1 for a book.
D paid the amount of $1 for a book.

It appears to me that A and B paid the same amount, as did A and C, A and D, B and C, B and D, and C and D. There are six cases that seem to defy the rule that "No two friends paid the same amount for a book."

Do you mean that the sentence suggests that three and/or four friends can pay the same amount, but not "just" two?

The other sentence: "No two friends bought a book for the same price."

A bought the book for the price of $1.00
B bought the book for the price of $1.00
C bought the book for the price of $1.00
D bought the book for the price of $1.00

I see neither the logical difference between the two sets of sentences nor the difference between their corresponding antecedent sentences.

If you are distinguishing between "paid [an] amount for," and "bought for [a] price of," what is the distinction?

What am I missing here?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [3]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos