Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 11:32 It is currently 07 May 2024, 11:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1588 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
valyrian wrote:
Hi please evaluate my profile for ISB and IIMs PGP.
I am an Indian male and a Mech graduate from Thapar university with a gpa of 8.9. (top 7 percent approx.)
I did a six months internship at Tata motors during my 6th semester and was among 6 students selected from a batch of 140. Received SIx sigma green belt for successfully completing training and project. Also was awarded best trainee second runners up.

Then I did Masters in mechanical engineering from UC Berkeley. Had a good GRE of 331/340. I had a 3.8 GPA in masters. (Not sure that matters). Also received 20k dollars merit scholarship from Berkeley.

My GMAT is 770. Q51 V42. IR 8 AWA 5.5

My 10 and 12 marks are a bit low at 79.3 and 82 percents.

I will have about 19 months work ex by Jan 31, 2018.

As for my work ex I am working as a product quality engg in a German multinational (Fresenius) in San Francisco. Fresenius is more than a century old company and is the largest dialysis medical devices manufacturer in the world as well as has nearly 90 percent market share in the dialysis market. They are the largest hospital group in Europe owning about 100 hospitals there and a few thousand clinics in USA.
Extra curriculars:
State level badminton player in class 9th.
Convener of muse club in college.
Participated and won a lot of literary and quizzing events in college.
Have 2nd year degree certificate for tabla

Also planning to take CFA level 1 by Dec and level 2 by June next year. Want to target MBB if I get ISB and IB and MBB if I get IIMs. Hence CFA for IB roles.

Hobbies
Reading novels and watching TV shows. Also have been dabbling in trading biotech stocks in US markets.

Hi valyrian

Thanks for posting. Excellent profile there. Couple of quick points:
- You will need to apply to the EEO, not the regular PGP admissions intake, as you will have less than 24 months of experience by the time the Class of 2019 joins ISB.
- Although you no doubt have strong analytical skills, the CFA plan seems a bit ambitious in terms of the tight timeframe you are planning for it.
- You may also want to consider waiting for an year or two and then looking at other top global schools (global top 15).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Dear Experts,

Would be helpful if you can evaluate my profile

Exp 8 years
6 years in Design/R&D and then International Marketing of Power transformers. Have 2 patents and few awards. Company had sponsored for General Management Program.
Since last two years with ONGC.
Engineer
GMAT-660

Do you think ISB is possible?

Thanks
Sharath
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
origen87 wrote:
Dear Experts,

Exp 8 years
6 years in Design/R&D and then International Marketing of Power transformers. Have 2 patents and few awards. Company had sponsored for General Management Program.
Engineer
GMAT-660

Thanks
Sharath

Hi Sharath

You do have rich experience (though slightly on the higher side but should not be an issue), and a GMAT of 660 could work, but we would feel a lot more comfortable with a 20+ point increase there. While your higher experience will compensate for the GMAT score to an extent, you should try and retake if possible.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
origen87 wrote:
Dear Experts,

Exp 8 years
Engineer
GMAT-660

Thanks
Sharath

Hi origen87,

An interesting profile. International marketing of power transformers has definitely piqued our curiosity, and we're sure B-schools would be interested to know more. We think you'd make a great profile for ISB, so to answer your question, yes ISB is possible. You have two alternatives from here on:
1. Retake GMAT and try to boost your score at least by 20-30 points, this will make a lot of difference. Give GMAT another shot and then apply in R2 when you're absolutely ready.
2. If you feel this is your best foot forward, then go ahead and apply with a stellar application, that outlines your professional achievements and link them to why MBA and your goals. Focus on points that differentiate you and show a clear vision of your career ahead.

Feel free to reach out for a discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
I recently graduated from Boston University Questrom School of Business, where I got a Bachelors of Science in Business Administration.
I concentrated in Accounting and Finance along with a minor in Economics.
I have 6 months of a total internship experience.
Having graduated in May 2017, I do not have any work experience and I have focused most of my time to prepare for my GMAT.
I want to apply for the Early Entry Option PGP.
I am planning to take my GMAT in Mid Sept. What do you suggest would be a solid score?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: ISB '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Kudos
abansal1805 wrote:
I recently graduated from Boston University Questrom School of Business, where I got a Bachelors of Science in Business Administration.
Having graduated in May 2017, I do not have any work experience and I have focused most of my time to prepare for my GMAT.
I am planning to take my GMAT in Mid Sept. What do you suggest would be a solid score?

A 700+ is a good starter for GMAT.

Apart from that, ISB would be really keen on knowing how you matured as far as your decisions regarding career goals are concerned. You should give them a clear view of the career path you want to follow. It can be difficult for a person with no work experience to lay down his/her career blueprint. But that I believe is what will set you apart from the rest of the applicants - between someone telling he/she wants to get into Operations Sector and someone telling he/she wants to into Operations Sector working actively towards Energy Sustainability and Usage of Green Resources.

Another thing which you can do, you can apply next. You will be eligible for EEO next year as well. So you can get an year of experience and apply. That will give you a first-hand experience of how industry works.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Dears,
Kindly evaluate my profile and suggest which B schools/Program I should apply.

Do I stand any chance for IIMA PGPX, IIMB EPGP,NUS, Nanyang, HKUST etc?

1] 10th= 86% ( State board top 10 ranker), 12th =75% ( State board), B-TECH(C.S.E from NIT )= 70%

GMAT = 680 ( best score) --- Q:49, V: 35

2] 11+ years experience in Telecom and Mobile product /program management and R&D with Tier one MNCs

3] Worked in 15 countries onsite for product commercialization(Totaling around 5 years)

regards

Originally posted by fearose on 07 Aug 2017, 00:25.
Last edited by fearose on 07 Aug 2017, 00:38, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1588 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
abansal1805 wrote:

Hi abansal1805,

Boston Questrom is a great school as a Bachelor's institution. That itself is an advantage for your starting off. You can apply now for the EEO, but if selected, you will be joining ISB only in 2020.

For a target GMAT score, try and target 720 and above. EEO admissions are more GMAT-centric than direct ISB admissions, and the fact that you are on the lower side of the work experience spectrum even among EEO applicants, will need you to differentiate through your GMAT score.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1588 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
fearose wrote:
Dears,

1] 10th= 86% ( Assam State board top 10 ranker), 12th =75% (Assam State board), B-TECH(C.S.E from NIT )= 70%

2] 11+ years experience in Telecom and Mobile product /program management and R&D with Tier one MNCs

3] Worked in 15 countries onsite for product commercialization(Totaling around 5 years)

regards Feroz

Hi Feroz

You are differentiated by your international experience and the industry insight you will bring. 11+ years is on the higher side of the spectrum, though. You will have a shot at ISB, IIMA, NTU, and HKUST. NUS might need a somewhat higher GMAT, even at your level of experience. Also, IIMB looks for applicants with a maximum of 12 years of experience, so if you will be over that before you begin, that might be a slight negative. Rather than not apply to IIMB, we would urge you to check with them in terms of the work-ex criterion, and apply once they approve.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
GyanOne wrote:
fearose wrote:
Dears,

1] 10th= 86% ( Assam State board top 10 ranker), 12th =75% (Assam State board), B-TECH(C.S.E from NIT )= 70%

regards Feroz

Hi Feroz

You are differentiated by your international experience and the industry insight you will bring. 11+ years is on the higher side of the spectrum, though. You will have a shot at ISB, IIMA, NTU, and HKUST. NUS might need a somewhat higher GMAT, even at your level of experience. Also, IIMB looks for applicants with a maximum of 12 years of experience, so if you will be over that before you begin, that might be a slight negative. Rather than not apply to IIMB, we would urge you to check with them in terms of the work-ex criterion, and apply once they approve.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Appreciate it. Do you suggest any other program or School where my experience and GMAT score fits in while giving me optimum benefit in terms of ROI and Value addition .
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
fearose wrote:
GyanOne wrote:
fearose wrote:
Dears,

regards Feroz

Hi Feroz

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Appreciate it. Do you suggest any other program or School where my experience and GMAT score fits in while giving me optimum benefit in terms of ROI and Value addition .

Feroz, this is a thread for discussions on ISB. For that, we request you to contact us directly or on another thread. Please also state which geographies you are looking at when you respond. We look forward to your response.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
fearose wrote:
Dears,

1] 10th= 86% ( State board top 10 ranker), 12th =75% ( State board), B-TECH(C.S.E from NIT )= 70%

regards

Hi fearose,

The international work-experience adds a good dimension to your profile. For the quality and quantity of work-experience, we think you have a good GMAT too. All schools mentioned above are within reach, (except for IIM-B which usually caps work-ex at 12 years). Couple of thoughts:
- For schools abroad, the average GMAT for Indian applicants is usually on the higher side. This would need to be compensated by a really strong application and stellar recommendations.
- Answers to your goals and why MBA would need to be well-defined. With higher work-experiences, B-schools like to hear tightly-knit stories and a clear path on how the MBA can help you reach your goals. For B-schools abroad, this becomes even more important, and the standard run-of-the-mill answers often aren't enough.

Feel free to reach out for a discussion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hi Please evaluate my profile,

I have a Gmat score of 640 ( Quant :45 , verbal: 31)

3+ years of experience in risk management and strategy consulting at Ernst Young India. Independently handled projects for an year in strategic consulting and developing marketing projects for financial institutions.

I have a bachelors in Accounts and finance with a GPA of 6.4 /7
89% in 10+2

On my free time I mentor children at an NGO and have been doing so for an year.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Anubhav Chakravartty wrote:

3+ years of experience in risk management and strategy consulting at Ernst Young India. Independently handled projects for an year in strategic consulting and developing marketing projects for financial institutions.

89% in 10+2

Hi Anubhav

While your work experience is good, you will need to increase your GMAT by at least 40 points to be in contention. Once you do that, please also post further details on your work experience and details of your work at the NGO.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Background and nationality: 32,Male, Indian, currently working in UK

Undergrad Information: BE Computer Science from a state university with a private engineering college in 2007 with 64%.
GMAT: Yet to take

Work experience and leadership - 10 years of work experience into IT Industry, worked for Big international clients while working with TOP IT service providers.
10 years of work experience expands across domains like Life Sciences, CRM and Oil and Gas. Worked into technologies like Java, iOS Applications. Currently into Project Management with responsibilities like vendor management, stakeholder management, resource and budgets. Managed teams of size 20+ in a multi application environment. Currently deployed with a Oil Major in London looking after their trading needs.

Community and others:

Post MBA goals: Always having this urge to do an MBA as I always wanted to contribute more towards the leadership of an organization. To lead the information technology business to new heights.

Anything else?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
Anubhav Chakravartty wrote:

89% in 10+2

Hi anubhav Chakravartty,

Though you haven’t written too much about your accomplishments, your work experience does look quite sound and that should help, when you get down to writing your essays.

However, our primary suggestion at this point is that you retake the GMAT and aim at scoring upwards of 700. Once you have a good GMAT score, you may focus on preparing a strong application.

All the best!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
ashishmathur14 wrote:
Background and nationality: 32,Male, Indian, currently working in UK

Undergrad Information: BE Computer Science from a state university with a private engineering college in 2007 with 64%.
GMAT: Yet to take

Work experience and leadership - 10 years of work experience into IT Industry, worked for Big international clients while working with TOP IT service providers.
10 years of work experience expands across domains like Life Sciences, CRM and Oil and Gas. Worked into technologies like Java, iOS Applications. Currently into Project Management with responsibilities like vendor management, stakeholder management, resource and budgets. Managed teams of size 20+ in a multi application environment. Currently deployed with a Oil Major in London looking after their trading needs.

Community and others:

Post MBA goals: Always having this urge to do an MBA as I always wanted to contribute more towards the leadership of an organization. To lead the information technology business to new heights.

Anything else?

Hi ashishmathur14,

Thanks for your query.

You do have extensive experience, which will help you include a number of talking points with regard to your leadership responsibilities, accomplishments, cross-national exposure, and strong technical acumen. It almost goes without saying that an amalgamation of all these factors will certainly help you! ☺

Having said the above, a large part of your success changes will also depend on your GMAT score. At this point, we recommend that you focus all your energies in aiming for a score above the 700 mark. Once the GMAT is taken care of, you could work towards creating a stellar application that is representative of your strengths, your distinctive attributes, and aptly showcases your need for an MBA. Do remember that your career goals and professional experience should be well knit into a compelling story ☺

If you are able to achieve the above, you will stand a strong chance at making it to ISB!

We take this opportunity to offer you a free detailed profile evaluation. Should you feel the need for the same, please do not hesitate to reach out to us ☺

Good Luck with everything! ☺
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  48   49   50   51   52  ...  307