Last visit was: 05 Jun 2024, 09:31 It is currently 05 Jun 2024, 09:31
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6207 [23]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 121
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
Send PM
Re: The production team is responsible for all financial [#permalink]
E for me too. Though stuck between A and E, but I believe that since it talks about Filmcrust, so it should be E.

Kindly correct in case I am wrong.
Thanks.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50LC using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Correct Ans: Option E

Contenders:

Option A - Audience's acceptance. Is the movie best because it is accepted by audience? This cannot be inferred.

Option E - Best can be referred to the quality of the movie. Hence, E works!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools: ISB '20
Send PM
The production team is responsible for all financial [#permalink]
Can someone please explain difference between A and E

@bunnel egmat
Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Given Kudos: 292
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Sneha99 wrote:
Can someone please explain difference between A and E

@bunnel egmat
Posted from my mobile device

As per argument Flimcrust is weighing on the financial aspects of the movie making.
This connection is clearly shown in option E, but as per A the audience choice is given priority for selecting the best movie.
This is not stated in the argument. We just want to see the connection between financial aspects and filmcrust's choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Kudos
The production team is responsible for all financial investments involved in movie-making. The team of actors and background staff is responsible for all creative and aesthetic aspects involved in movie-making. When a movie is released, the financial benefits go to the producers of the film and the creative credit for the work of art generally goes to the team of actors and the background staff; no rule defines this segregation but this has been the unsaid, accepted norm ever since the inception of commercial cinema. When Filmcrust announces the award for the “Best Movie” category, it invites the head of the production team to receive the award.

Which of the following best explains the decision by Filmcrust to invite the head of the production team for receiving the “Best Movie” award?

A. Financial success is a clear indication of the audience’s acceptance of a movie being good.
B. All major movie awards invite the head of the production team to receive the award for this category.
C. Filmcrust wants to have better relations with the production houses than with the direction teams.
D. Filmcrust doesn’t value the artistic aspect of a movie.
E. Organizers of Filmcrust believe that financial aspects of a movie are the clearest indication of the quality of the movie

I got this one wrong the first time, I chose B.

C. Filmcrust wants to have better relations with the production houses than with the direction teams.

The meaning is that the people deciding the award invite the head of production, why ? first of all an award is a trophy rewarding the best of a category, so we should only focus on this aspect of quality. That's why C is out.

A. Financial success is a clear indication of the audience’s acceptance of a movie being good.

We don't care about A because the award has nothing to do with the acceptance of the public. And even if financial success was an indication of the public acceptance being good, would it be a good enough reason to invite only the head of production ? certainly not, you would want to invite the actors too. So A out

B. All major movie awards invite the head of the production team to receive the award for this category.

B could have been a good reason but you are not sure, even if everybody does it, is it a good enough reason to do it ? maybe, but let's see if we have a better option.

Well, maybe, but we can't be sure about that and their intended intentions, so let's see if there is something better

E. Organizers of Filmcrust believe that financial aspects of a movie are the clearest indication of the quality of the movie

That would be definitively a good reason, they invite only the head of production, which is responsible for the financial aspects of movie, because they believe that the financial aspect is the best indicator of the quality of a movie.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9345 [3]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Arthurito wrote:

I wouldn't say you got it wrong at all. We have no information about the criteria they use to choose the "best" movie, and we have no information about the motivations of "Filmcrust". Any of the answers could be right here.

And I'd imagine anyone working in film would find it disturbing to see directors and cinematographers etc described as "background staff". :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
Arthurito wrote:

I wouldn't say you got it wrong at all. We have no information about the criteria they use to choose the "best" movie, and we have no information about the motivations of "Filmcrust". Any of the answers could be right here.

And I'd imagine anyone working in film would find it disturbing to see directors and cinematographers etc described as "background staff". :(

So do you think the question is poorly written ?
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9345 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I do -- there are at least two sentences in it that you'd need to fix if they showed up in SC -- but that's not really the issue. We just don't have any information that would let us pick a logical answer choice here.
Director
Director
Affiliations: CFA Institute; ICAI; BCAS
Own Kudos [?]: 572 [0]
Given Kudos: 694
WE 2: EA to CFO (Consumer Products)
GPA: 3.78
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Arthurito wrote:
The production team is responsible for all financial investments involved in movie-making. The team of actors and background staff is responsible for all creative and aesthetic aspects involved in movie-making. When a movie is released, the financial benefits go to the producers of the film and the creative credit for the work of art generally goes to the team of actors and the background staff; no rule defines this segregation but this has been the unsaid, accepted norm ever since the inception of commercial cinema. When Filmcrust announces the award for the “Best Movie” category, it invites the head of the production team to receive the award.

Which of the following best explains the decision by Filmcrust to invite the head of the production team for receiving the “Best Movie” award?

The meaning is that the people deciding the award invite the head of production, why ? first of all an award is a trophy rewarding the best of a category, so we should only focus on this aspect of quality. That's why C is out.

We don't care about A because the award has nothing to do with the acceptance of the public. And even if financial success was an indication of the public acceptance being good, would it be a good enough reason to invite only the head of production ? certainly not, you would want to invite the actors too. So A out

B could have been a good reason but you are not sure, even if everybody does it, is it a good enough reason to do it ? maybe, but let's see if we have a better option.

Well, maybe, but we can't be sure about that and their intended intentions, so let's see if there is something better

That would be definitively a good reason, they invite only the head of production, which is responsible for the financial aspects of movie, because they believe that the financial aspect is the best indicator of the quality of a movie.

Arthurito

I chose C because we cannot directly infer from info in the para that "Best Movie" is to do with quality aspect and so I agree with IanStewart 's comment above.

broall ExpertsGlobal5

Can you please post OE of this ques?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 854 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6956 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
820 posts