Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 17:37 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 17:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [69]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [6]
Given Kudos: 319
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [4]
Send PM
Re: A recent study suggests that regular exercise improves the health [#permalink]
Kudos
MadaraU wrote:
P1 :- Regular exercise improves heart health
P2 :- 5 yrs ago, less than 60 yrs old had 50% of total 1 or more heart attack
P3 :- today, less than 60 yrs old have 40% of total 1 or more attack
P4 :- less than 60 yrs people workout more now while 60+ yrs old remain the same

Conclusion :- Workout has helped to reduce these numbers

B) The proportion of the population aged 60 and over has remained constant over the last five years. (This option sounds to me like a assumption rather than strengthner, if we negate it argument will fall apart)

meaning:- proportion was 60+ people was 1/3, its still 1/3 today i.e. if there were 33 (65+ yrs old 5 years ago) out of 99 then today might be 66 out of 198.

D.) People aged 60 and over are generally less capable of strenuous exercise than are people under the age of 60.

Meaning :- if 60+ yrs old people can't put any extra effort into workout hence their numbers are same, while younger than 60 yrs old can hence their heart attack numbers have reduced strengthens the conclusion.

Please let me know what d y'all think about my reasoning, any comments will be appreciated

Hi MadaraU,

I agree with your point of view of looking at this question.

For Option D,
This is out of scope since it is too limited and narrow and only focuses on "strenuous exercise". In this case, we are assuming that any non-strenuous exercise would not result in reduced chances of getting a heart attack, which does not directly comprehend with the argument.

For Option B,
You cannot apply the negation test in this case since it is a Strengthening question. Remember, Negation test is only applied to assumption questions.
Now as you correctly stated in P2 and P3, the percentage of people getting a heart attack under the age of 60 has gone down from 50% to 40%. This means, that now (P3), people over the age of 60 account for 60% of the people getting a heart attack.
As option B states that the proportion of people over 60 has remained the same, yet 60% of them now account for getting a heart attack compared to 50% (5 years ago). Therefore, this directly strengthens the argument.

Using your numbers,
P2- 16 out of 33 people (50%) over the age of 60 were getting a heart attack 5 years ago.
The proportion has remained the same over 5 years.
P3 - 40 out of 66 people (60%) over the age of 60 get a heart attack.

B is the answer

Let me know if this makes sense or if you have any more questions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [1]
Send PM
Re: A recent study suggests that regular exercise improves the health [#permalink]
Kudos
gayatriv21 Paulli1982
The answer is B, as all other options are out of scope.
Please refer to the explanation I provided above to understand why Option B makes sense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 799 [2]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
B is answer:

Let 5 years ago >60 yrs were 200 and <60 yrs were 100.
for eg 100 ppl get heart attache , 5 yr ago , 50 were under 60 and 50 were above 60. % of people getting heart attache under age of 60 is 50 getting HA/100 total nr under 60 *100 =50 and >60 will be (50/200) x100
again now for same 100 people who get heart attache 40 are under 60 and 60 are above 60. % getting HA under 60 = (40/100) *100 = 40 and > 60yrs % will be (60/200)*100
clearly under age of 60 hear attache are reduced by 10%. hence strenghtens
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [2]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Kudos
Main conclusion: regular exercise improves the health of person's heart and cardiovascular system.

Evidence: Five years ago, without regular exercise, people aged under 60 represented 50% of those who suffered from one or more heart attacks. Today, people under the age of 60 account for only 40% of the people who have suffered one or more heart attacks

Now, if the population size of the study participants varies, then we can no longer support the conclusion drawn. However, if we do have information that supports the idea that the participant population does not change over the course of 5 years, then we can reasonably support the link between "regular exercise" and the "results" claimed in the conclusion.

Only (B) talks about the population size.

(B) The proportion of the population aged 60 and over has remained constant over the last five years.

Hence, (B) is the right answer choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 599
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Hi experts,
Please help to explain reason why each choice is right or wrong. Thanks.
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Pre-thinking:

Conclusion: Regular exercise improves the health of person's heart and cardiovascular system.

Premises on which it is based:

1) Five years ago, people under the age of 60 accounted for 50 percent of the people who had suffered one or more heart attacks.
2) Today, people under the age of 60 account for only 40 percent of the people who have suffered one or more heart attacks.
3) People under the age of 60 exercise more regularly today than they did 5 years ago.
4) Exercise habits of people aged 60 and over have remained the same.

Since we are asked to strengthen the argument, in such cause-effect questions, we are mainly looking for one of the following:

i) Ruling out an alternate explanation.
ii) Ruling out reverse causality.
iii) Ruling out confounding variable (correlation).

Let us examine the answer options:

A. Some people over the age of 60 exercise as much or more than do people under the age of 60. This does not impact our conclusion in any way since the time component is not addressed at all. Eliminate.

B. The proportion of the population aged 60 and over has remained constant over the last five years. This is a tempting answer. One alternate explanation for the change in heart attack rates could be that the population demographics have changed, with there being more people >60 today than five years ago. This option partially rules this out (ideally, we would have wanted the option to say that the proportion of >60 has not increased rather than remained constant, since even a reduction in >60 proportion would strengthen our conclusion). But this is attractive at this point. Hold on.

C. The use of cholesterol-lowering drugs has reduced the frequency of heart attacks among all age groups. We are looking for a comparison between the two age groups (<60 and >60) and this option does not provide any such information. Eliminate.

D. People aged 60 and over are generally less capable of strenuous exercise than are people under the age of 60. Same problem as (A) - this does not address the time factor at all. Eliminate.

E. A number of factors, such as nutrition and stress levels, affect the incidence of heart attacks. This neither addresses age groups nor time. Eliminate.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 702
Send PM
abansal1805 wrote:
gayatriv21 Paulli1982
The answer is B, as all other options are out of scope.
Please refer to the explanation I provided above to understand why Option B makes sense.

IMO the option B is an assumption.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts