Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 00:01 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 00:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Do I stand any chance? [#permalink]
I am Raunak Kelekar from India, with a GPA score of 7.8/10 and 8 months of experience as a social media associate from a social media agency and wanting to pursue MS in Marketing.

Apart from developing my skills in marketing, my major reason to pursue a master’s degree in the first place is to shift abroad. Could you please let me know your thoughts on which country and university would be better to look forward at?
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Ayush, thanks for the additional info, and good to keep up that article writing.

For schools like that, you should at least aim for a 700 overall, with high percentile scores in all sections (like above a 70% in both quant and verbal and a 6 or higher on IR).

It's tough to advise on how to write your story without knowing the full details (this is something we spend a lot of time on with clients), but generally I'd say that any experience you've had is fair game for the essays -- such that, if you need to share an example from growing up or college, that can be relevant to your story; the essays don't need to be exclusively about the last few years of your life. Schools are looking to get to know you and the experiences that influenced you. You should also plan to use the optional essay about the gap year.

When it comes to writing more traditional career goal essays, you should check out our personal statement guide here: https://shop.mbamission.com/products/pe ... ment-guide

Good luck!
Kate

[quote="ayushelsavio"]Hi Kate,

Thanks for your evaluation.

So, to answer your questions:
1. I have not yet got any opportunity to have exposure to any other country.
2. I am seeking opportunity for leadership in other fields, but unfortunately, I haven't got any experience on that front.
3. I write articles/thought pieces on facebook and my linkedIn page, but I am not regular.
4. I have not been able to pursue acting as yet.

Thanks for your advice, I will try to work on these along with my prep for GMAT. I will try to religiously write articles on LinkedIn. I am also searching for acting opportunities, and would surely try to get some exposure here.

Again, big thanks for your review.

I have a few queries though:
1. What should be my GMAT to have a good chance in Tepper, INSEAD and ISB?
2. How should I approach my story, when writing the essays for the schools? As in, I have been a well-rounded individual till my college, but due to some reason or other after coming in corporate, I missed all that made me a holistic person. This doesn't mean, I have lost my skills, it's just that I have not handled my situations well, been too busy in making a living that I had to leave my passion projects.
How should I approach this?
3. How should I address the year gaps? I don't know if 'trying to get in my dream college but failed' and 'fighting illness, falling in love with coding, teaching oneself and finding a job' would make acceptable reasons. I am not sure what I should do here?

Please guide me.

Thanks
Ayush Kumar
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Raunak,

Only 8 months of experience is quite low for MBA programs (which is what we specialize in). Is that the degree you are interested in, or are you looking at a specialized master's program? Important to determine that first, and which type of program will best suit your experience level. As for country, a lot depends on where you'd like to go career wise in the future, and which country will have the best options for you. You will find some good options in Europe for specialized master's programs that target a less experienced group.

Best of luck,
Kate

RaunakK wrote:
I am Raunak Kelekar from India, with a GPA score of 7.8/10 and 8 months of experience as a social media associate from a social media agency and wanting to pursue MS in Marketing.

Apart from developing my skills in marketing, my major reason to pursue a master’s degree in the first place is to shift abroad. Could you please let me know your thoughts on which country and university would be better to look forward at?
Moderator:
1452 posts