It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 03:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Do I stand any chance?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Jan 2013
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Do I stand any chance? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 04:56
Hi
I am Ayush and I would be taking my GMAT in December this year, but before that, I had a few queries in regard to my profile and the kind of colleges that I can target:

My profile:
1. I am from India
2. My undergrad is in Bachelor of Technology
3. My scores: 10th  89.4%, 12th  74.2% and B-Tech  70.3%
4. I have a year gap between 12th and UG when I was preparing for entrance exams that happen in India to get admission in the reputed colleges like the Indian Institute of Technology.
5. I have a year gap after College (UG) when I was a little sick because of my eye surgery and search for a job.
6. I started working in a Fortune 500 Company as a software developer in 2014.
7. I have 3.5 years of job experience.
Achievements:
School and College:
1. Participated and won several literary contests (debates, storytelling, impromptu etc.).
2. Co-founded a dramatics team in college which own many accolades and competitions conducted in several of the college competitions.
3. I managed the team and also acted as lead actor in several of the dramatic plays performed by the team.
4. Represented my school Table Tennis team at the district level and College Table Tennis team during college fests.
Professional:
1. Got 2 promotions.
2. Got Business Development Award for innovative ideas which addressed the pain areas of the business.
3. Got an award for understanding business and developing a suite of tools which reduced the cost to the company by about 12000 USD.

Purpose of doing MBA:
I would like to go for MBA, because I feel I can grow my networking among people who can help me grow into a better business mind and also to facilitate my passion of technology with the business acumen, so that I can either start my own tech business (to create alternate jobs) or play a more crucial role in responsibly developing the future of world with technology.

GMAT: Still to take. This would be my first attempt.

Target B-Schools  Harvard, MIT Sloan, Tepper(CMU), ISB (India), INSEAD(France)

Queries:
1. Do I stand any chance, in any of my target schools?
2. How can I improve my profile, so as to improve my chances of getting in the target schools?
3. What are my other alternative schools?
4. How should I go about getting scholarships for the course?
5. Any other suggestions.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
B
Joined: 01 Apr 2015
Posts: 681

Kudos [?]: 74 [1], given: 4

Reviews Badge
Re: Do I stand any chance? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 19:36
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Ayush,

Good luck with your GMAT preparations! Obviously that is an important part of your profile; so it's hard to evaluate your chances without that piece. But given your Bachelor's GPA and the competitiveness of the Indian applicant pool, I think schools like Harvard especially, and MIT too, will be quite tough. Tepper, ISB, and INSEAD should be more reasonable, though INSEAD does have quite a high average GMAT too.

As far as improving your profile, your professional experience sounds really strong with promotions and awards. Have you had any exposure to different countries? Or led projects involving different functions outside software? Those types of experiences can look great to show you have the ability to broaden your skill set.

Are things like acting and writing still activities you pursue? If not, you could pick those up again, as business schools like well rounded candidates who are involved in activities outside of work too, whether those are volunteer activities, or personal hobbies/passions.

Best of luck!
Kate

ayushelsavio wrote:
Hi
I am Ayush and I would be taking my GMAT in December this year, but before that, I had a few queries in regard to my profile and the kind of colleges that I can target:

My profile:
1. I am from India
2. My undergrad is in Bachelor of Technology
3. My scores: 10th  89.4%, 12th  74.2% and B-Tech  70.3%
4. I have a year gap between 12th and UG when I was preparing for entrance exams that happen in India to get admission in the reputed colleges like the Indian Institute of Technology.
5. I have a year gap after College (UG) when I was a little sick because of my eye surgery and search for a job.
6. I started working in a Fortune 500 Company as a software developer in 2014.
7. I have 3.5 years of job experience.
Achievements:
School and College:
1. Participated and won several literary contests (debates, storytelling, impromptu etc.).
2. Co-founded a dramatics team in college which own many accolades and competitions conducted in several of the college competitions.
3. I managed the team and also acted as lead actor in several of the dramatic plays performed by the team.
4. Represented my school Table Tennis team at the district level and College Table Tennis team during college fests.
Professional:
1. Got 2 promotions.
2. Got Business Development Award for innovative ideas which addressed the pain areas of the business.
3. Got an award for understanding business and developing a suite of tools which reduced the cost to the company by about 12000 USD.

Purpose of doing MBA:
I would like to go for MBA, because I feel I can grow my networking among people who can help me grow into a better business mind and also to facilitate my passion of technology with the business acumen, so that I can either start my own tech business (to create alternate jobs) or play a more crucial role in responsibly developing the future of world with technology.

GMAT: Still to take. This would be my first attempt.

Target B-Schools  Harvard, MIT Sloan, Tepper(CMU), ISB (India), INSEAD(France)

Queries:
1. Do I stand any chance, in any of my target schools?
2. How can I improve my profile, so as to improve my chances of getting in the target schools?
3. What are my other alternative schools?
4. How should I go about getting scholarships for the course?
5. Any other suggestions.

_________________

Kate Richardson
mbaMission

Website: http://www.mbamission.com
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image

Kudos [?]: 74 [1], given: 4

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Jan 2013
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Re: Do I stand any chance? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 08:48
Hi Kate,

Thanks for your evaluation.

So, to answer your questions:
1. I have not yet got any opportunity to have exposure to any other country.
2. I am seeking opportunity for leadership in other fields, but unfortunately, I haven't got any experience on that front.
3. I write articles/thought pieces on facebook and my linkedIn page, but I am not regular.
4. I have not been able to pursue acting as yet.

Thanks for your advice, I will try to work on these along with my prep for GMAT. I will try to religiously write articles on LinkedIn. I am also searching for acting opportunities, and would surely try to get some exposure here.

Again, big thanks for your review.

I have a few queries though:
1. What should be my GMAT to have a good chance in Tepper, INSEAD and ISB?
2. How should I approach my story, when writing the essays for the schools? As in, I have been a well-rounded individual till my college, but due to some reason or other after coming in corporate, I missed all that made me a holistic person. This doesn't mean, I have lost my skills, it's just that I have not handled my situations well, been too busy in making a living that I had to leave my passion projects.
How should I approach this?
3. How should I address the year gaps? I don't know if 'trying to get in my dream college but failed' and 'fighting illness, falling in love with coding, teaching oneself and finding a job' would make acceptable reasons. I am not sure what I should do here?

Please guide me.

Thanks
Ayush Kumar


mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hi Ayush,

Good luck with your GMAT preparations! Obviously that is an important part of your profile; so it's hard to evaluate your chances without that piece. But given your Bachelor's GPA and the competitiveness of the Indian applicant pool, I think schools like Harvard especially, and MIT too, will be quite tough. Tepper, ISB, and INSEAD should be more reasonable, though INSEAD does have quite a high average GMAT too.

As far as improving your profile, your professional experience sounds really strong with promotions and awards. Have you had any exposure to different countries? Or led projects involving different functions outside software? Those types of experiences can look great to show you have the ability to broaden your skill set.

Are things like acting and writing still activities you pursue? If not, you could pick those up again, as business schools like well rounded candidates who are involved in activities outside of work too, whether those are volunteer activities, or personal hobbies/passions.

Best of luck!
Kate

ayushelsavio wrote:
Hi
I am Ayush and I would be taking my GMAT in December this year, but before that, I had a few queries in regard to my profile and the kind of colleges that I can target:

My profile:
1. I am from India
2. My undergrad is in Bachelor of Technology
3. My scores: 10th  89.4%, 12th  74.2% and B-Tech  70.3%
4. I have a year gap between 12th and UG when I was preparing for entrance exams that happen in India to get admission in the reputed colleges like the Indian Institute of Technology.
5. I have a year gap after College (UG) when I was a little sick because of my eye surgery and search for a job.
6. I started working in a Fortune 500 Company as a software developer in 2014.
7. I have 3.5 years of job experience.
Achievements:
School and College:
1. Participated and won several literary contests (debates, storytelling, impromptu etc.).
2. Co-founded a dramatics team in college which own many accolades and competitions conducted in several of the college competitions.
3. I managed the team and also acted as lead actor in several of the dramatic plays performed by the team.
4. Represented my school Table Tennis team at the district level and College Table Tennis team during college fests.
Professional:
1. Got 2 promotions.
2. Got Business Development Award for innovative ideas which addressed the pain areas of the business.
3. Got an award for understanding business and developing a suite of tools which reduced the cost to the company by about 12000 USD.

Purpose of doing MBA:
I would like to go for MBA, because I feel I can grow my networking among people who can help me grow into a better business mind and also to facilitate my passion of technology with the business acumen, so that I can either start my own tech business (to create alternate jobs) or play a more crucial role in responsibly developing the future of world with technology.

GMAT: Still to take. This would be my first attempt.

Target B-Schools  Harvard, MIT Sloan, Tepper(CMU), ISB (India), INSEAD(France)

Queries:
1. Do I stand any chance, in any of my target schools?
2. How can I improve my profile, so as to improve my chances of getting in the target schools?
3. What are my other alternative schools?
4. How should I go about getting scholarships for the course?
5. Any other suggestions.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2017
Posts: 3

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Do I stand any chance? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 09:36
I am Raunak Kelekar from India, with a GPA score of 7.8/10 and 8 months of experience as a social media associate from a social media agency and wanting to pursue MS in Marketing.

Apart from developing my skills in marketing, my major reason to pursue a master’s degree in the first place is to shift abroad. Could you please let me know your thoughts on which country and university would be better to look forward at?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
B
Joined: 01 Apr 2015
Posts: 681

Kudos [?]: 74 [1], given: 4

Reviews Badge
Re: Do I stand any chance? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 18:36
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Ayush, thanks for the additional info, and good to keep up that article writing.

For schools like that, you should at least aim for a 700 overall, with high percentile scores in all sections (like above a 70% in both quant and verbal and a 6 or higher on IR).

It's tough to advise on how to write your story without knowing the full details (this is something we spend a lot of time on with clients), but generally I'd say that any experience you've had is fair game for the essays -- such that, if you need to share an example from growing up or college, that can be relevant to your story; the essays don't need to be exclusively about the last few years of your life. Schools are looking to get to know you and the experiences that influenced you. You should also plan to use the optional essay about the gap year.

When it comes to writing more traditional career goal essays, you should check out our personal statement guide here: https://shop.mbamission.com/products/pe ... ment-guide

Good luck!
Kate

[quote="ayushelsavio"]Hi Kate,

Thanks for your evaluation.

So, to answer your questions:
1. I have not yet got any opportunity to have exposure to any other country.
2. I am seeking opportunity for leadership in other fields, but unfortunately, I haven't got any experience on that front.
3. I write articles/thought pieces on facebook and my linkedIn page, but I am not regular.
4. I have not been able to pursue acting as yet.

Thanks for your advice, I will try to work on these along with my prep for GMAT. I will try to religiously write articles on LinkedIn. I am also searching for acting opportunities, and would surely try to get some exposure here.

Again, big thanks for your review.

I have a few queries though:
1. What should be my GMAT to have a good chance in Tepper, INSEAD and ISB?
2. How should I approach my story, when writing the essays for the schools? As in, I have been a well-rounded individual till my college, but due to some reason or other after coming in corporate, I missed all that made me a holistic person. This doesn't mean, I have lost my skills, it's just that I have not handled my situations well, been too busy in making a living that I had to leave my passion projects.
How should I approach this?
3. How should I address the year gaps? I don't know if 'trying to get in my dream college but failed' and 'fighting illness, falling in love with coding, teaching oneself and finding a job' would make acceptable reasons. I am not sure what I should do here?

Please guide me.

Thanks
Ayush Kumar
_________________

Kate Richardson
mbaMission

Website: http://www.mbamission.com
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image

Kudos [?]: 74 [1], given: 4

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
B
Joined: 01 Apr 2015
Posts: 681

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 4

Reviews Badge
Re: Do I stand any chance? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 18:39
Hi Raunak,

Only 8 months of experience is quite low for MBA programs (which is what we specialize in). Is that the degree you are interested in, or are you looking at a specialized master's program? Important to determine that first, and which type of program will best suit your experience level. As for country, a lot depends on where you'd like to go career wise in the future, and which country will have the best options for you. You will find some good options in Europe for specialized master's programs that target a less experienced group.

Best of luck,
Kate

RaunakK wrote:
I am Raunak Kelekar from India, with a GPA score of 7.8/10 and 8 months of experience as a social media associate from a social media agency and wanting to pursue MS in Marketing.

Apart from developing my skills in marketing, my major reason to pursue a master’s degree in the first place is to shift abroad. Could you please let me know your thoughts on which country and university would be better to look forward at?

_________________

Kate Richardson
mbaMission

Website: http://www.mbamission.com
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 4

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Do I stand any chance?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.