Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 19:28 It is currently 06 May 2024, 19:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5141 [13]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 905
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 5141 [1]
Send PM
Compared with the scarcity of wolves in areas that humans have densely [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
nitiny wrote:
not sure about C . :?

Here is C combined with the non underlined portion.

(C) When compared with wolves, which rarely inhabit areas that humans have densely populated, coyotes, smaller, more adaptable relatives of wolves, inhabit suburban and urban areas, where they feed on small prey and forage for food, often operating somewhat nocturnally.

B really looks correct, but is C correct too?

Let's remove the non restrictive modifiers from C. The meaning of the sentence should remain the same.

When compared with wolves, coyotes inhabit suburban and and urban areas.

I believe that now you will see the issue.
Own Kudos [?]: 5141 [0]
Send PM
Compared with the scarcity of wolves in areas that humans have densely [#permalink]
Expert Reply
sleepynut wrote:
Hi experts,
In my 2 cents,the placement of "wolves' smaller,more adaptable relatives" creates ambiguity.It should be swapped with "coyotes".

What is the flaw in my reasoning?
Please help clarify

While one could argue that stylistically speaking the optimal order of the two is "coyotes" first, the truth is that if a writer were to want to emphasized that the coyotes are smaller and more adaptable, the writer might choose to accomplish that end by placing the descriptive appositive "wolves' smaller,more adaptable relatives" before "coyotes".

Does doing so create ambiguity? If so please explain how, as perhaps you and I are talking about different issues.

Notice that actually you could leave "coyotes" out entirely, and the sentence would still work.

"Unlike wolves, which rarely live in areas that humans have densely populated, wolves’ smaller, more adaptable relatives can often be found in both suburban and urban areas, where they feed on small prey and forage for food, often operating somewhat nocturnally."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 540 Q38 V26
Send PM
Re: Compared with the scarcity of wolves in areas that humans have densely [#permalink]
Kudos
nitiny wrote:
(A) Compared with the scarcity of wolves in areas that humans have densely populated, coyotes, smaller, more adaptable relatives of wolves, can be quite numerous in

scarcity of wolves compared with coyotes

(B) Unlike wolves, which rarely live in areas that humans have densely populated, wolves’ smaller, more adaptable relatives, coyotes, can often be found in both
Correct comparison between wolves and coyotes

(C) When compared with wolves, which rarely inhabit areas that humans have densely populated, coyotes, smaller, more adaptable relatives of wolves, inhabit
not sure about this

(D) In contrast with wolves’ habitats, which rarely overlap areas that humans have densely populated, coyotes, wolves’ smaller, more adaptive relatives, often live in
wolves’ habitats compared with coyotes

(E) More than are wolves, which rarely inhabit areas that humans have densely populated, coyotes, which are smaller more adaptive relatives of wolves, inhabit
More than doesn't seems correct to me

not sure about C . :?

No addition to the others. To C: It is not clear what the wolves do. However, the sentence tries to create two contrasting statements (one for the wolves, one for the coyotes). Thus, "Unlike" is needed to achieve a logically flawless predication. Hope, the logic is clear. Otherwise, I can gladly try to explain it differently.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE:Human Resources (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: Compared with the scarcity of wolves in areas that humans have densely [#permalink]
hello expert
somehow i got the right answer but can you clarify me about what i think for these two options
option C ,why it is wrong(after analyzing above replies) because in option c it is comparing similarity between these two wolves but the additional info about first wolves describes as they rarely inhabit areas that human have densely populated that's why this is wrongly compared .

and in option B it is showing that how earlier wolves are different form coyotes . so right
please correct me if i am missing something

thanks
Send PM
Expert Reply
nks2611 wrote:
hello expert
somehow i got the right answer but can you clarify me about what i think for these two options
option C ,why it is wrong(after analyzing above replies) because in option c it is comparing similarity between these two wolves but the additional info about first wolves describes as they rarely inhabit areas that human have densely populated that's why this is wrongly compared .

and in option B it is showing that how earlier wolves are different form coyotes . so right
please correct me if i am missing something

thanks

In C there is actually no comparison. Look at what C actually says.

"When compared with wolves ... coyotes inhabit ..."

So C conveys that when the are compared with wolves, coyotes do something, "inhabit suburban and urban areas." Get it? Check out these analogs.

When my car is washed, it looks clean.

When winter is coming, birds fly to warmer places.

The above two sentences make sense. However, the below two don't really make sense.

When coyotes are compared with wolves, they inhabit suburban areas.

When coyotes are not compared with wolves, they don't inhabit suburban areas.

So the meaning of C is nonsensical. C seems to compare the wolves and the coyotes but in actuality conveys that whether the coyotes do something depends on whether they are compared with wolves.

Ok, now let's consider B.

Unlike wolves ... coyotes can often be found in suburban and urban areas.

B clearly contrasts wolves and coyotes, conveying that coyotes are unlike wolves, in that wolves are rare in suburban and urban areas, while coyotes can often be found in those types of areas.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE:Human Resources (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Thank you Marty [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES], really appreciate it

Sent from my HM 1S using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Hi daagh !

I hope you can clarify my doubt in option B (the correct answer) ;)

B. Unlike wolves, which rarely live in areas that humans have densely populated, wolves’ smaller, more adaptable relatives, coyotes, can often be found in both

In B, we have two modifiers smaller and more adaptable that modify relatives and these two modifiers are joined by comma (,). Is is correct?

IMO we only use conjuntion and to join two identites and joining two identities by comma (,) is wrong.

Many thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42107 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
leanhdung

We do not need the conjunction and; a comma is sufficient. Please see the link below on coordinate adjectives

https://www.write.com/writing-guides/gen ... djectives/

Originally posted by daagh on 21 Apr 2017, 08:27.
Last edited by daagh on 21 Apr 2017, 08:58, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
daagh wrote:
leanhdung
What is your doubt in B?

Yeah ;)

In B, we have two modifiers smaller and more adaptable that modify relatives and these two modifiers are joined by comma (,). Is is correct?

IMO we only use conjuntion and to join two identites and joining two identities by comma (,) is wrong.

Please check my above reasoning!

Many thanks!

Also, please have a look at my reasoning at https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-1985-fewe ... l#p1840233 and https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-judge-to ... l#p1839248 :)

Your comments are precious to me :P
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 741
Send PM
Hello expert,
Can we use 'which' for wolves ? Is it correct?
As which can only be sued for things.

Or is it like best option type of thing, that is why, option b is correct?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42107 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
VKat
For the usage notes on 'which' please see the following relevant part in the link given below.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/which

usage: The relative pronoun which refers to inanimate things and to animals: The house, which we had seen only from a distance, impressed us even more as we approached. The horses which pulled the coach were bay geldings.

Also see
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar ... e-pronouns
Send PM
Expert Reply
VKat wrote:
Hello expert,
Can we use 'which' for wolves ? Is it correct?
As which can only be sued for things.

Or is it like best option type of thing, that is why, option b is correct?

Even though wolves are in some sense people, the convention is that "which" is used to refer to animals other than humans, and "who" and "whom" are used only to refer to humans, or potentially to other beings considered by most to be "people". For instance, an alien life form interacting with humans might be considered a person in some kind of conventional sense, and so referring to the alien would be done by using "who" or "whom". So the convention followed by the GMAT is to use "which" in referring to animals other than humans.

The reason B is correct is that it the only answer choice that logically compares wolves and coyotes. If you look closely, you will see that none of the other choices actually makes a logical comparison.

So B is not merely the best answer. It is the only answer that makes sense.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 319
Send PM
How can B be correct when "cayotes" don't even has a verb ? unless I'm missing something
Send PM
Expert Reply
MadaraU wrote:
How can B be correct when "cayotes" don't even has a verb ? unless I'm missing something

In B, "coyotes" serves as an appositive modifying "relatives".

So the subject and verb of the clause are "relatives" and "can .. be found".

"relatives ... can... be found"

"wolves' smaller, more adaptable relatives, coyotes, can often be found'
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 319
Send PM
MartyMurray

(B) Unlike wolves, which rarely live in areas that humans have densely populated, wolves’ smaller, more adaptable relatives, coyotes, can often be found in both

sentence breakdown
Sentence begins with "unlike wolves" so I ask myself, what is unlike wolves ? and the only answer comes to my mind is coyotes
"which rarely live in areas that humans have densely populated" relative clause giving more info about wolves
"wolves’ smaller, more adaptable relatives" in my mind is giving more info about coyotes
"can often be found in both" I concur with your explanation that this sentence contains verb but the comma before it ruins everything

I just feel like its poorly written sentence, below answer choice would make more sense to me :-

Unlike wolves, which rarely live in areas that humans have densely populated, coyotes, wolves’ smaller and more adaptable relatives, can often be found in both
Own Kudos [?]: 5141 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
MadaraU wrote:
MartyMurray

sentence breakdown
Sentence begins with "unlike wolves" so I ask myself, what is unlike wolves ? and the only answer comes to my mind is coyotes
"which rarely live in areas that humans have densely populated" relative clause giving more info about wolves
"wolves’ smaller, more adaptable relatives" in my mind is giving more info about coyotes
"can often be found in both" I concur with your explanation that this sentence contains verb but the comma before it ruins everything

I just feel like its poorly written sentence, below answer choice would make more sense to me :-

Unlike wolves, which rarely live in areas that humans have densely populated, coyotes, wolves’ smaller and more adaptable relatives, can often be found in both

Yes, that version is better than B.

Still, I think B basically works, and none of the other answer choices work at all.

That kind of setup is what you will often see in GMAT SC questions, four choices that don't work at all and a "correct" answer that may not be the best way of putting something but gets the job done.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Kudos
A – compares “scarcity of wolves” with “coyotes”

B – correctly compares wolves and coyotes

C – “When compared” does not fit here. It makes it sound like the coyotes behavior is dependent on them being compared to wolves.

D – “wolves habitats” are compared to “coyotes”

E – “More than are wolves” doesn’t make any sense.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts