It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 10:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 1985, fewer than 1 million wild boars inhabited approxima

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 259 [2], given: 33

In 1985, fewer than 1 million wild boars inhabited approxima [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2013, 07:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:10) correct 46% (01:29) wrong based on 562 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In 1985, fewer than 1 million wild boars inhabited approximately 25 states, according to John Rosen, the manager of the wildlife research group at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming, who tracked the different state populations.

a. Rosen, the manager of the wildlife research group at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming, who tracked the different state populations.

b. Rosen, who is the manager of the wildlife research group at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming, tracks the different state populations.

c. Rosen, the manager of the wildlife research group, who tracked the different state populations and was located in the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming.

d. Rosen, who is the manager of the wildlife research group and was tracking the different state populations at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming.

e. Rosen, the manager of the wildlife research group at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming and who tracked the different state populations.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 259 [2], given: 33

3 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1597 [3], given: 197

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In 1985, fewer than 1 million wild boars inhabited approxima [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2013, 07:31
This post received
KUDOS
vibhav wrote:
In 1985, fewer than 1 million wild boars inhabited approximately 25 states, according to John Rosen, the manager of the wildlife research group at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming, who tracked the different state populations.

a. Rosen, the manager of the wildlife research group at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming, who tracked the different state populations.

b. Rosen, who is the manager of the wildlife research group at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming, tracks the different state populations.

c. Rosen, the manager of the wildlife research group, who tracked the different state populations and was located in the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming.

d. Rosen, who is the manager of the wildlife research group and was tracking the different state populations at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming.

e. Rosen, the manager of the wildlife research group at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming and who tracked the different state populations.

hi,

This one is correct.

use of IS is wrong ==>as it makes the sentence that ROSEN is still the manager.==>incorrect

making was located as the main verb of subject changes the intended meaning.....according to this ==>ROSEN himself located ....which is wrong.==>incorrect.

same as B

this one is a fragment.
subject THE MANAGER ==>doesnt have a verb

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Kudos [?]: 1597 [3], given: 197

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 2333 [0], given: 219

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2013, 07:48
I would not eliminate B and D because use "is".
As far as we know he can still be in charge. It's not like we are talking about 1800s, he would be old but if he had 30 years in 1985 he today could still be in charge.

who is the manager (...) tracks <== this is not grammatically correct

who is the manager and was tracking is not parallel

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Kudos [?]: 2333 [0], given: 219

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 259 [0], given: 33

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2013, 08:30
This post was
BOOKMARKED
blueseas if i get you right, and must connect two parallel elements. Thus, who tracked the different state populations needs a verb in ' the manager of the wildlife research group at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming' to become parallel?

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 3482 [0], given: 123

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2013, 11:57
vibhav wrote:
blueseas if i get you right, and must connect two parallel elements. Thus, who tracked the different state populations needs a verb in ' the manager of the wildlife research group at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming' to become parallel?

Hi vibhav.

The noun phrase "the manager of ....." is an appositive (noun or noun phrase) that renames another noun right beside it. ==> "who" modifies John Rosen. Thus, we don't need a verb in the appositive (the manager of .....).

Example of appositive.
My iphone, the first smart phone model designed by Apple Inc, is very reliable.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2013, 18:10
pqhai wrote:
vibhav wrote:

Hi vibhav.

The noun phrase "the manager of ....." is an appositive (noun or noun phrase) that renames another noun right beside it. ==> "who" modifies John Rosen. Thus, we don't need a verb in the appositive (the manager of .....).

Example of appositive.

Hope it helps.

pqhai, I see what you mean. What in your opinion then is the flay with option e? I think what blueseas meant was in the construct as presented in e, a verb is required (and i assume because) 'and' is a parallel marker. The two sides of and must be parallel.

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2013, 23:18
vibhav wrote:
pqhai wrote:
vibhav wrote:

Hi vibhav.

Example of appositive.

Hope it helps.

pqhai, I see what you mean. What in your opinion then is the flay with option e? I think what blueseas meant was in the construct as presented in e, a verb is required (and i assume because) 'and' is a parallel marker. The two sides of and must be parallel.

Hi vibhav, I didn't get your question in the former post, cause you didn't mention option E. That's why I tried to explain the usage of "appositive", but you actually got it already.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Director
Director
Affiliations: University of Florida

Kudos [?]: 989 [0], given: 630

Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2013, 08:37
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Here is the Official Explanation from Veritas.

Answer A - The primary error type in this sentence correction problem relates to modifiers. In (A) the appositive modifier “the manager...” properly follows John Rosen, indicating that he was the manager of the group. The second modifier “who tracked the different state populations” is trickier: who tracked the different state populations? The wildlife research group. The original makes it clear that the group is being modified with this clause as it is the first logical noun before the clause (the others are places which cannot be modified by who). The others all contain fatal modifier flaws or other errors of meaning. In (B), “tracking the state populations” at the end is illogical and has nothing to modify. In (C), the modifiers are in the wrong location: the goal of the sentence is not to show that John Rosen was the manager, tracked all the state populations, and happened to be located in Wyoming! (D) erroneously suggests that all the 25 state populations were tracked in Wyoming and (E) again disconnects the modifiers improperly and has a parallelism error at the end.

Kudos [?]: 989 [0], given: 630

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2015, 09:51
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7933 [3], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2015, 10:51
This post received
KUDOS
Following Veritas’ OE, there is no doubt that A is the correct choice, since other choices are way off the mark due to various reasons such as fragmentation, faulty parallelism etc. But even in A, I feel that Veritas’ contention that the pronoun ‘who’ refers to the research group is debatable. Can the pronoun ‘who’ that is used to exclusively refer to a person, refer to the collective noun ‘group? Isn’t that a group can be referred only by ‘‘which’ or ‘that’? I feel that ‘who’ should indeed be referring to Rosen; of course, this nuance doesn’t materially impact the larger picture of the choice. Just for academic interest.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7933 [3], given: 364

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 2.7
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User
In 1985, fewer than 1 million wild boars inhabited approximately 25 st [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2016, 22:58
This post was
BOOKMARKED

A. Rosen, the manager of the wildlife research group at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming, who tracked the different state populations.
B. Rosen, who is the manager of the wildlife research group at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming, tracks the different state populations.
C. Rosen, the manager of the wildlife research group, who tracked the different state populations and was located in the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming.
D. Rosen, who is the manager of the wildlife research group and was tracking the different state populations at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming.
E. Rosen, the manager of the wildlife research group at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming and who tracked the different state populations.

Please explain why who does not refer here to Wyoming!

Last edited by broall on 03 Jun 2017, 03:16, edited 1 time in total.
Merged topic. Please search before posting question.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7933 [0], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)
Re: In 1985, fewer than 1 million wild boars inhabited approximately 25 st [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2016, 23:10
You have to post you query in the body of your post and not in the title.
Assuming your query is why 'who' cannot refer to Wyoming, its immediate preceding noun, Wyoming is a state in the US and Jackson is a town and not names of humans. Therefore, 'who' cannot modify any of them.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7933 [0], given: 364

Expert Post
Math Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 5531 [0], given: 112

Re: In 1985, fewer than 1 million wild boars inhabited approximately 25 st [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2016, 23:53
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
chotepandit wrote:

A. Rosen, the manager of the wildlife research group at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming, who tracked the different state populations.
B. Rosen, who is the manager of the wildlife research group at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming, tracks the different state populations.
C. Rosen, the manager of the wildlife research group, who tracked the different state populations and was located in the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming.
D. Rosen, who is the manager of the wildlife research group and was tracking the different state populations at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming.
E. Rosen, the manager of the wildlife research group at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming and who tracked the different state populations.

Please explain why who does not refer here to Wyoming!

Hi,
as Daagh has also pointed out that there is nothing which 'who' can refer to apart from the manager.
lets see the sentence,,..
In 1985, fewer than 1 million wild boars inhabited approximately 25 states, according to John[u] Rosen, the manager ofthe wildlife research group at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming, who tracked the different state populations.

the wildlife research group at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson' is just modifying the manager..
so its ok as it is

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5531 [0], given: 112

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 283 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2016, 05:22
This question DOES NOT seem correct.

The construction "the manager of the wildlife research group at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming" is an APPOSITION and there by it is describing "John Rosen" but then the point is that we should be able to remove this APPOSITION without affecting the meaning of the sentence and that is where the problem lies !!

after removing APPOSITION the sentence becomes : in 1985, fewer than 1 million wild boars inhabited approximately 25 states, according to John Rosen who tracked the different state populations.---------->the ISSUE with this interpretation is that DESCRIPTION of "john Rosen" with a RESTRICTIVE CLAUSE "WHO..." seems futile

Kudos [?]: 283 [0], given: 61

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 79

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2016, 19:55
vibhav wrote:

What is wrong with E ? Why is it not the right answer?

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 79

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 345

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2016, 04:59
manhasnoname wrote:
vibhav wrote:

What is wrong with E ? Why is it not the right answer?

In original choice
the pronoun ‘who’ refers to the research group,but in E "and who tracked" meant that Rosen tracked the different state populations
Only problem i have is "can who be used for a group"

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 345

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 508

GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2016, 13:40
Can an expert vouch for the quality of this question? I do not think 'who' can be used to to modify wildlife research group - 'that' should be used instead. Thanks a ton in advance.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 508

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 906

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: 314 Q167 V147

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2017, 09:48
Hi sayantanc2k and experts,
Humbly request you to weight in this question.
To me "who" should refer back to Rosen,not research group.
Additionally,can I eliminate option E since appositive modifier can't be parallel with relative pronoun(who)?

Thanks for your help :-)

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 906

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 232

GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 19:49
daagh wrote:
Following Veritas’ OE, there is no doubt that A is the correct choice, since other choices are way off the mark due to various reasons such as fragmentation, faulty parallelism etc. But even in A, I feel that Veritas’ contention that the pronoun ‘who’ refers to the research group is debatable. Can the pronoun ‘who’ that is used to exclusively refer to a person, refer to the collective noun ‘group? Isn’t that a group can be referred only by ‘‘which’ or ‘that’? I feel that ‘who’ should indeed be referring to Rosen; of course, this nuance doesn’t materially impact the larger picture of the choice. Just for academic interest.

Hi daagh !

I see nothing wrong with E, please check my reasoning!

--> in D, we have a relative clause beginning with who. After the relative pronoun who, we have two predicates: is the manager of the wildlife research group and was tracking the different state populations at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming that are joined by conjuntion and.

---> It sounds structurally fine. IMO the problem may be the incorrect use of tense was tracking (we have no reason to use past progressive tense here) and the wrong position of modifier at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming. at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming should be put right after the wildlife research group.

--> in E, we have two types of modifiers : appositive the manager of the wildlife research group... and relative clause who tracked the different state populations that are joined by conjuntion and. These two modifiers correctly modifies Rosen.

---> For me, it sounds grammatically correct and conveys clear meaning.

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2017, 01:46
Hi daagh sayantanc2k mikemcgarry egmat VeritasPrepKarishma !

Can some of you check my reasoning for me? Many thanks!

The true understanding of this question plays an important role in my understanding of modifiers, so please help me with this one!

I see nothing wrong with E, please check my reasoning!

--> in D, we have a relative clause beginning with who. After the relative pronoun who, we have two predicates: is the manager of the wildlife research group and was tracking the different state populations at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming that are joined by conjuntion and.

--> It sounds structurally fine. IMO the problem may be the incorrect use of tense was tracking (we have no reason to use past progressive tense here) and the wrong position of modifier at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming. The modifier at the National Wildlife Refuge in Jackson, Wyoming should be put right after the wildlife research group.

--> in E, we have two types of modifiers : appositive (the manager of the wildlife research group...) and relative clause (who tracked the different state populations that are joined by conjuntion and). These two modifiers correctly modifies Rosen.

--> For me, it sounds grammatically correct and conveys clear meaning.

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

In 1985, fewer than 1 million wild boars inhabited approxima   [#permalink] 21 Apr 2017, 01:46

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

In 1985, fewer than 1 million wild boars inhabited approxima

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap