Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 14:12 It is currently 02 May 2024, 14:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Businessx   Short Passagex                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42107 [124]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [42]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63747 [9]
Given Kudos: 1775
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63747 [8]
Given Kudos: 1775
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Findings from several studies on corporate mergers and acquisitions du [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
imyuva wrote:
Please anyone explain question no.66
i find this question very difficult.

Quote:
66. It can be inferred from the passage that the author would be most likely to agree with which of the following statements about corporate acquisitions?

Quote:
(A) Their known benefits to national economies explain their appeal to individual firms during the 1970s and 1980s.

Even though the deals might have benefits to national economies, the author thinks the deals must be explained by benefits to the executives or their companies, not by benefits to the nation's economy: "the individual acquisitions executives arranging these deals must see them as advancing either their own or their companies’ private economic interests". Eliminate (A).

Quote:
(B) Despite their adverse impact on some firms, they are the best way to channel resources from less to more productive sectors of a nation’s economy.

The passage states that the "acquisitions may well have the desirable effect of channeling a nation’s resources efficiently from less to more efficient sectors of its economy" but does not claim that corporate acquisitions are the BEST way to channel resources. Eliminate (B).

Quote:
(C) They are as likely to occur because of poor monitoring by boards of directors as to be caused by incentive compensation for managers.

The passage mentions incentive compensation for EXECUTIVES as a possible explanation for the acquisitions but not incentive compensation for MANAGERS. Furthermore, the author does not discuss the relative significance the possible factors. In other words, the author does not say whether some factors are more or less common than others. Eliminate (C).

Quote:
(D) They will be less prevalent in the future, since their actual effects will gain wider recognition.

This idea is not mentioned in the passage, so eliminate (D).

Quote:
(E) Factors other than economic benefit to the acquiring firm help to explain the frequency with which they occur.

The factors cited in the final two sentences are possible explanations for the acquisitions. None of these describe situations that would benefit the firm, so choice (E) is the best answer.

I hope that helps!
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 122
Send PM
Re: Findings from several studies on corporate mergers and acquisitions du [#permalink]
Kudos
What's considered an acceptable time frame for this passage + set of questions? Should it ideally be completed within 9 minutes? I completed it in 10:06 because I had to stop and think for a few of them. Felt like I was taking longer than I should have. Input would be great. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Kudos
Can anyone explain Q66

I am not getting how to infer the bold part in option E
Factors other than economic benefit to the acquiring firm help to explain the frequency with which they occur
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [9]
Given Kudos: 1474
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
dream21 wrote:
Can anyone explain Q66

Factors other than economic benefit to the acquiring firm help to explain the frequency with which they occur

Hey there,

If you look at the last line of para 1 it says "Yet mergers and acquisitions remain common, and bidders continue to assert that their objectives are economic ones" where "common" more or less means "frequent".

Hope this helps!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2699 [2]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
maggie27 wrote:
dream21 wrote:
Can anyone explain Q66

Hey there,

If you look at the last line of para 1 it says "Yet mergers and acquisitions remain common, and bidders continue to assert that their objectives are economic ones" where "common" more or less means "frequent".

Hope this helps!

I had also problems with this question. The statement about the frequency is wrong, because it was not mentioned in the passage, it's just an assumption. But E seems to be the only wright answer compared with other answer choices. As I see, sometimes right answers can be only derived by excluding more wrong answers.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GRE 1: Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE:Editorial and Writing (Education)
Send PM
In the second paragraph, the author explicitly says "It seems that factors having little to do with corporate economic interests explain acquisitions."
This statement tells you that factors other than economic interests help explain acquisitions -- a logical inference is that if you know why the acquisitions occur, you can explain the frequency with which they occur with a high degree of accuracy. Hence E.

The first paragraph provides examples of firms initiating acquisitions even when they don't derive economic benefit from them, and says that acquisitions remain common. "Common" in this context seems to mean "frequent", but even this inference is not required; the inference in the above paragraph should suffice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
282552 wrote:
Question 69
Can anybody please help me explain why option C is wrong.
Also is this a 700+ RC..because I got only 3 right in like 12 mins :(
Or I will just accept that I have to work hard on RCs.

D says that most such acquisitions were based on an overestimation of the value of target firms.

Actually this piece of information about overestimation of the value of target firms appears in the second para.

However, the information that we need to look for this question, is limited to the first para, since that is where it is specifically covered what the scenario was in the 70s and 80s.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 524 [2]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Kudos
IlanaEconomistGMAT wrote:
roopika2990 wrote:
Can anyone explain 67? I did not find any of them right

D would be the correct answer choice here. First, locate the sentence you need to read to answer this question. The impact on national economies is mentioned in the first line of the second paragraph, so we need go no farther then here to find the answer. What does this sentence say about the effect on national companies? That although there may be a positive effect, this is not why such deals were arranged. This implies that some people have considered the positive effect on national economies to be an explanation of all those mergers and acquisitions. Now, notice the bare logical structure of this sentence: X may well be..., but....Y. In other words, Although X, Y. What is X - Acquisitions' impact on national economies. What is Y? The company or personal interest of executives. So what this sentence telling us? That X is not an adequate explanation of mergers and acquisitions, but Y is. This is precisely what answer choice D is telling us: cite and point out the inadequacy of one possible explanation, etc.

this passage is easy but the questions are harder. reading skill is never taught and discussed in rc forum though it is fatally important.

thank you expert, sir
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [2]
Given Kudos: 269
Send PM
Kudos