Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Wharton
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Need advice regarding WorkEx in interviews! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
MSR007 wrote:
Hi,
@MSR007, For US MBA programs, generally speaking the 4 yrs of work experience is going to be in the sweet spot for most FT US MBA programs. Now the 690 is going to be more of an issue in that there are many Indian applicants with scores over 700 so that is going to be hard to break through even with strong work experience. So that's what I'd focus on more than worrying about the number of years of work. In describing your work- be sure you are highlighting the impact that you have had.
However for Europe, in general you do need perhaps a bit more work although not in every case- and as you approach 5 years that is pretty solid. If you want to have us do a profile review for you with more specifics on your whole case- reach out to us at this link for a free consult: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

I am an Indian applicant, Male, almost 4 years of experience in IT with a GMAT of 690.
I just want to know that is my 4 years of experience not enough to get me into a good b-school?

I recently interviewed with UCD and they told me this at the time of interview as well. They recommended me to get 2 years more of experience and then reapply. (I would like to mention that other than that my interview went quite well, although the interviewer seemed to be rushing through the interview and wrapped it up in 20 minutes).
I've got some other interviews lined up and I'm running out of ideas how to sell my experience in interviews where they are looking for more WorkEx.

Most b schools in Europe have a minimum eligibility of 3 years WorkEx, but the class average is around 6-7 for most of them.
There's nothing I can do about my experience here. *Please advice*.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Need advice regarding WorkEx in interviews! [#permalink]
MBADecoder wrote:
MSR007 wrote:
Hi,

I am an Indian applicant, Male, almost 4 years of experience in IT with a GMAT of 690.
I just want to know that is my 4 years of experience not enough to get me into a good b-school?

I recently interviewed with UCD and they told me this at the time of interview as well. They recommended me to get 2 years more of experience and then reapply. (I would like to mention that other than that my interview went quite well, although the interviewer seemed to be rushing through the interview and wrapped it up in 20 minutes).
I've got some other interviews lined up and I'm running out of ideas how to sell my experience in interviews where they are looking for more WorkEx.

Most b schools in Europe have a minimum eligibility of 3 years WorkEx, but the class average is around 6-7 for most of them.
There's nothing I can do about my experience here. *Please advice*.

If you already have 4 years work experience then by next fall you would have 5 years, which is the average work experience at most American b-schools.
I don't know the context in which the interviewer told you this, but as a word of caution, I'd ask you to analyse this interview. If you were not sounding your age, then its something you should practice and improve before your other interviews.

Probably build some more depth into your answers.

Hey MBADecoder,

Appreciate the insight. I'll complete 4 years on Feb, 2018. I analysed the interview, and my goals of getting into service marketing might have added to the experience thing. I mentioned experience specifically because the interviewer asked me in the middle of the interview, aren't you a bit young for an MBA?
That's what got me thinking.

Anyway, I gave another interview on Friday (Amsterdam Business School). The interview went great and went on for 1 hour 10 minutes (I'm assuming that's a good thing).
I'm expecting interview calls from Strathclyde and Glasgow and I've applied to Lancaster University as well.
Any ideas about how good is ABSs MBA program?

My regards.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
99Colleges wrote:
UCD maybe an exception, but 4 years by and large isn’t a limiting factor at most schools. Most N American programs have ~ 5 years as the median. Even for European programs, 4 is not a number to be sneezed at. I don’t think you should worry much on this, and should rather focus on how to give a good account in the remaining interviews.

Hey 99Colleges,

Appreciate the insight. I analysed the interview, and my goals of getting into service marketing might have added to the experience thing. I mentioned experience specifically because the interviewer asked me in the middle of the interview, aren't you a bit young for an MBA?
That's what got me thinking.

Anyway, I gave another interview on Friday (Amsterdam Business School). The interview went great and went on for 1 hour 10 minutes (I'm assuming that's a good thing).
I'm expecting interview calls from Strathclyde University and Glasgow University and I've applied to Lancaster University as well.
Any ideas about how good is ABSs MBA program?

[I didn't apply to american/australian b-schools because of the cost factor, any advice regarding that would be much appreciated!]
My regards.
GMAT Club Bot