Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:32 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [45]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [14]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [6]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [4]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Minivans carry as many as seven passengers, and compared wit [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
MontrealLady wrote:
Minivans carry as many as seven passengers, and compared with sport utility vehicles, most cost less, get better gas mileage, and make it easy for passengers to get in and out, and have a smoother, more car-like ride.

(A) and make it easy for passengers to get in and out

(B) and allow passengers to get in and out easily

(C) and allow passengers to get in and out more easily

(D) make it easier for passengers when getting in and out

(E) allow passengers to get in and out more easily

Attachment:
Q13.jpg

Hi,

here is a question from GMAT Prep 2

I got the question correct, however, when I was reviewing it, I wasn't sure why the correct answer cannot be "D"

can someone explain the difference between D & E?

thanks,

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of the crucial part of this sentence is that minivans allow passengers to get in and out more easily than sports utility vehicles do.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Grammatical Construction

• The absolute form is used to describe something without drawing a comparison; the comparative form is used to compare two elements, and the superlative form is used to compare more than two elements.
• In a list of more than two elements; remember, the “comma + and” (oxford comma) construction is used to join the last element of a list of more than two other elements, and the other elements are linked through commas.

A: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "make it easy"; the use of the absolute adjective "easy" incorrectly implies that minivans allow passengers to get in and out easily, in general; the intended meaning is that minivans allow passengers to get in and out more easily than sports utility vehicles do; remember, the absolute forms are used to describe something without drawing a comparison; the comparative form is used to compare two elements, and the superlative form is used to compare more than two elements. Further, Option A incorrectly uses the oxford comma ("comma + and") to link the second last element - "make it easy for passengers to get in and out" - in a list of more than two elements; remember, the “comma + and” (oxford comma) construction is used to join the last element of a list of more than two other elements, and the other elements are linked through commas.

B: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "get in and out easily"; the use of the absolute adverb "easily" incorrectly implies that minivans allow passengers to get in and out easily, in general; the intended meaning is that minivans allow passengers to get in and out more easily than sports utility vehicles do; remember, the absolute forms are used to describe something without drawing a comparison; the comparative form is used to compare two elements, and the superlative form is used to compare more than two elements. Further, Option B incorrectly uses the oxford comma ("comma + and") to link the second last element - "allow passengers to get in and out easily" - in a list of more than two elements; remember, the “comma + and” (oxford comma) construction is used to join the last element of a list of more than two other elements, and the other elements are linked through commas.

C: This answer choice incorrectly uses the oxford comma ("comma + and") to link the second last element - "allow passengers to get in and out more easily" - in a list of more than two elements; remember, the “comma + and” (oxford comma) construction is used to join the last element of a list of more than two other elements, and the other elements are linked through commas.

D: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "make it easier for passengers when"; the use of "when" illogically implies that minivans make some unspecified action easier for passengers at that point in time when they are getting in and out; the intended meaning is that minivans allow passengers to get in and out more easily than sports utility vehicles do.

E: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase "to get in and out more easily"; the use of the comparative adverb "more easily" conveys the intended meaning - that minivans allow passengers to get in and out more easily than sports utility vehicles do. Further, Option E correctly uses a comma to link the second last element - "allow passengers to get in and out more easily" - in a list of more than two elements.

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Oxford Comma" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Bookmarks
MontrealLady wrote:
Hi,

I got the question correct, however, when I was reviewing it, I wasn't sure why the correct answer cannot be "D"

thanks,

In D , after when I would expect a clause, here it's working as a phrase. getting in and getting out should not be split i believe. I would have prefered if the optin was as - make it easier for passengers to get in or get out
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Good job getting rid of A, B, and C for clear list structure/parallelism violations--there are extraneous appearances of "and" in all three, and there is an absence of the comparison marker "more" in A and B.

"When" is indeed usually followed by a clause, although sometimes this clause can appear in reduced form, without the verb "to be" ("When in Rome...do as the Romans do").

One more point about choice D: the expected idiom, as the previous poster included in his/her preferred option, is "make it easy (for someone) TO" do something. The thing that is "made easier" in this case is the action of getting in and out . With "when" replacing the proper preposition "to," the meaning of the sentence becomes unclear. What is the "it" that is made easier for the passengers?

Hope this helps.

PS I don't have a problem with the phrase "getting in and out."
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [4]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
most cost less, get better gas mileage, and make it easy for passengers to get in and out, and have a smoother, more car-like

The comparison should be in parallel. Moreover "and" is used in later part of the sentence, and have a smoother, more car-like. So there is no need to use before it.

So eliminate a, b and c. In D, usage of" it" is wrong.

So E is the answer

Kudos please, if you like my explanation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
dear experts
mikemcgarry, sayantanc2k, GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja,
I know this question is not hard, but anyone of you can help explain what's wrong with D
D) make it easier for passengers when getting in and out
E) allow passengers to get in and out more easily

I read the whole thread, but I am afraid I do not fully agree with the discussion about D
1/ it
I think "it" in choice D is no problematic, because "it" is a dummy pronoun

2/ E is better than D,
I did not choice E because I think the fact that passengers can get in and out more easily is one character of minivans , it is better if describe a character in general pattern, so I think "when getting in and out" is better than "allow" to describe in general pattern, while "allow" feel like "approval".

Thanks a lot
have a nice day
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
My doubt is between options D and E

In option E, it says move in and out "more" easily. Isnt the word "more" redundant in this case? Why do I need more? The presence of the word "more" made me eliminate E and go for D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Which one should be better :
Minivans have a smoother ride
Minivans allow passengers to have a smoother ride. ?

GMATNinja
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
MayurAhuja wrote:
My doubt is between options D and E

In option E, it says move in and out "more" easily. Isnt the word "more" redundant in this case? Why do I need more? The presence of the word "more" made me eliminate E and go for D

Hi MayurAhuja, more is actually required here, because the sentence is comparing Minivans vs sport utility vehicles.

So, the sentence is basically conveying:

Minivans allow passengers to get in and out more easily (than sport utility vehicles allow passengers to get in and out).
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
snehasissahoo wrote:
Which one should be better :
Minivans have a smoother ride
Minivans allow passengers to have a smoother ride. ?

GMATNinja

While the second option might be how you or I would prefer to write the sentence, luckily we do not have to consider changes to the non-underlined portion.

The sentence lists a bunch of things in parallel, and one of those things is that "most [minivans]... have a smoother, more car-like ride." We can't change this piece, so there's no sense in worrying about better ways to write it. :)

I hope that helps a bit!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 180
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi Experts,

Even though the difficulty level of this question is low, could you please share your process of elimination for selecting between D and E?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
aarkay87 wrote:
Hi Experts,

Even though the difficulty level of this question is low, could you please share your process of elimination for selecting between D and E?

Hello aarkay87,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

Choice D: make it easier for passengers when getting in and out: This choice is incorrect because this choice does not really state getting in and out of the minivans is easier. It just states that something is made easier when passengers get in or out of the vehicle.

Choice E: allow passengers to get in and out more easily: This choice is indeed correct as it succinctly and clearly presents the intended meaning.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
In the Option C, can I not consider the list of elements as below? This makes the two "and" compulsory, where the last one is nested inside the main list.

Minivans carry as many as seven passengers, and compared with sport utility vehicles,
- most cost less,
- get better gas mileage,
and
- allow passengers to get in and out more easily, and have a smoother, more car-like ride.

The last item is nothing but:
allow passengers to get in and our more easily, and {allow passengers to} have a smoother, more car-like ride.

Why is this structure (Option C) wrong?

AndrewN request your thoughts.

MontrealLady wrote:
Minivans carry as many as seven passengers, and compared with sport utility vehicles, most cost less, get better gas mileage, and make it easy for passengers to get in and out, and have a smoother, more car-like ride.

Attachment:
Q13.jpg

Hi,

thanks,
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Pankaj0901 wrote:
In the Option C, can I not consider the list of elements as below? This makes the two "and" compulsory, where the last one is nested inside the main list.

Minivans carry as many as seven passengers, and compared with sport utility vehicles,
- most cost less,
and
- allow passengers to get in and out more easily, and have a smoother, more car-like ride.

allow passengers to get in and our more easily, and {allow passengers to} have a smoother, more car-like ride.

MontrealLady wrote:

Hello, Pankaj0901. It is true that any item in a list may branch internally. But in such cases, we expect to see one of two stylistic options to cue us in on how to interpret the list:

1) No comma before and within the last item—minivans cost less, get better gas mileage, and make X and have Y
Reason: A comma before the second and, combined with the different verbs in make and have, would make the sentence appear to be adding a fourth item in the list, in which case we may wonder why and was placed ahead of the third item.

2) Semicolons instead of commas to separate items in the list when any item within that list contains commas—minivans cost less; get better gas mileage; and make X, and have Y
Reason: A visual cue that each item in a list has been completed reduces the probability that a reader will become confused about the branching third item.

I am not going to tell you that in a standalone sentence, the usage of a comma plus and to introduce a phrase, rather than a clause, is incorrect. If only grammatical conventions were so easy to pin down. But when the punctuation and a word as simple as and seem to paint two equally valid yet different pictures of the same sentence (three items or four in the list?), then we should look for a way to add clarity to the writing. That consideration, ultimately, allows us to rule out (C).

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
This perfectly makes sense. Thank you ANDREW

AndrewN wrote:
Pankaj0901 wrote:

- most cost less,
and

MontrealLady wrote:

Hello, Pankaj0901. It is true that any item in a list may branch internally. But in such cases, we expect to see one of two stylistic options to cue us in on how to interpret the list:

1) No comma before and within the last item—minivans cost less, get better gas mileage, and make X and have Y
Reason: A comma before the second and, combined with the different verbs in make and have, would make the sentence appear to be adding a fourth item in the list, in which case we may wonder why and was placed ahead of the third item.

2) Semicolons instead of commas to separate items in the list when any item within that list contains commas—minivans cost less; get better gas mileage; and make X, and have Y
Reason: A visual cue that each item in a list has been completed reduces the probability that a reader will become confused about the branching third item.

I am not going to tell you that in a standalone sentence, the usage of a comma plus and to introduce a phrase, rather than a clause, is incorrect. If only grammatical conventions were so easy to pin down. But when the punctuation and a word as simple as and seem to paint two equally valid yet different pictures of the same sentence (three items or four in the list?), then we should look for a way to add clarity to the writing. That consideration, ultimately, allows us to rule out (C).

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
EducationAisle sir,

Can you share your reasoning for eliminating option D?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
Can you share your reasoning for eliminating option D?

D says: make it easier for passengers when getting in and out

Make what easier for passengers? D does not answer this question.

Following would have been better:

make it easier for passengers to get in and out

Make what easier for passengers? Answer: to get in and out.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM