Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:38 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools: ESSEC '22
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GPA: 3
WE:Editorial and Writing (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Disappointing GMAT experience! Need advice on retaking. [#permalink]
pushpitkc wrote:
Hey nithinjohn

To begin with, 650 is a very good score(you are quite close to your target score). With a
Q47, you should be fluent with the basics. For topics you face problems in, you should go
through the concepts from the GMATClub Quantitative Mega-thread. This thread will help
you reinforce the concepts that you have already done.

Whenever you practice questions, try to understand if you are able to apply the learning to
the problems. Every time you are not able to solve a question go through the thread(where
the question has been discussed) and go through the various methods that have been used
to solve the problems. In my experience, you will come across a few methods that will help
you save some time. Try and adapt these methods while you solve questions during practice.
Since you have already bought the GMATClub Quant tests, I would recommend you to reset
the tests and do them again(at least for the topics that you may face problems in)

Work on maintaining an error log and go through the mistakes you make from time to time.
This retrospection will definitely help you improve your scores. Last but not the least, go
through the below-given post(which details the strategy to improve Quant score to Q50)

https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-impro ... 41670.html

Hope this helps you!

pushpitkc Thanks a lot for your advice- really appreciate it. One of the problems I faced with the gmatclub tests were that I faced a lot of variations in my CATS. What do you think I can do to maintain a more consistent score?
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Kudos
nithinjohn wrote:
pushpitkc wrote:
Hey nithinjohn

To begin with, 650 is a very good score(you are quite close to your target score). With a
Q47, you should be fluent with the basics. For topics you face problems in, you should go
through the concepts from the GMATClub Quantitative Mega-thread. This thread will help
you reinforce the concepts that you have already done.

Whenever you practice questions, try to understand if you are able to apply the learning to
the problems. Every time you are not able to solve a question go through the thread(where
the question has been discussed) and go through the various methods that have been used
to solve the problems. In my experience, you will come across a few methods that will help
you save some time. Try and adapt these methods while you solve questions during practice.
Since you have already bought the GMATClub Quant tests, I would recommend you to reset
the tests and do them again(at least for the topics that you may face problems in)

Work on maintaining an error log and go through the mistakes you make from time to time.
This retrospection will definitely help you improve your scores. Last but not the least, go
through the below-given post(which details the strategy to improve Quant score to Q50)

https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-impro ... 41670.html

Hope this helps you!

pushpitkc Thanks a lot for your advice- really appreciate it. One of the problems I faced with the gmatclub tests were that I faced a lot of variations in my CATS. What do you think I can do to maintain a more consistent score?

Hey nithinjohn

IMO, the best thing that you can do is to analyze the mistakes in the GMATclub tests that
you made and understand why are you making these mistakes. The best way to analyze
your mistakes has been detailed in the below-given post:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-revie ... 67118.html

If there is a particular topic that seems to be creating the problem for you, you should go
back to basics. You could use the GMATClub Quantitative Mega-thread in order to clarify
your concepts.

Hope this helps you!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Nithin, do you know which specific area in Verbal, has been your nemesis?

Also, ordering a ESR might not be a bad idea, since it would give us for data points for analysis.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Disappointing GMAT experience! Need advice on retaking. [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi nithinjohn,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your Official Score is certainly in the 'range' of most of the CAT scores you listed here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-in-less ... l#p2071811

By extension, the scores show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 650 +/- a few points). To consistently score at the 700+ level, you will likely have to make some adjustments to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
3) When are you planning to retake the GMAT?

If you have not already done so, then you might choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn't provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what you should work on to score higher. If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

EMPOWERgmatRichC I have attached my ESR for your perusal. Please let me know, which areas I need to concentrate more on. Also does the ESr not tell you the number of questions I got right right in each sub-section? Couldn't find it when I went through it.

And I am planning on re-taking the GMAT in a couple of months. Would really appreciate it if you could give me some advice on how to maximize my chances of improving my score by atleast 50 points.

I plan on applying for a Masters in mangement for Fall 2019. I am primarily looking at schools in France.
Attachments

Nithin John_335800555_ESR.pdf [432.78 KiB]
Downloaded 33 times

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi nithinjohn,

I've sent you a PM with some notes/suggestions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22056 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
nithinjohn wrote:
I just took my GMAT today and scored a 650 (Q47,v34) IR-8. I am really disappointed with this score as I had studied hard for about 5-6 months and was hopeful of getting a 700. My quant scores are pretty accurate with what I was getting in the mocks, but I think Verbal really screwed me over. I really thought I was capable of scoring more than V38. I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some advice on the strategy which I should use for my second attempt.

I studied on my own and used Manhattan and official guides for majority fo my prep. Also spent a long time on gmatclub (gmatclub tests for quant). Should I consider taking online classes from a recognised test prep company? I have heard really good reviews about e-gmat's verbal course.

I would like to improve my score by at least 50 points. Need to achieve at least 700 in my second attempt. I feel verbal is my biggest room for improvement. Would prefer to take the test by August

First off, a 650 is a really solid starting point. I realize you have put in a lot of time and effort thus far, but with some further smart and dedicated prep, you can improve!

You goal in your next round of studying should be to build on the solid foundations you have made. Furthermore, although your verbal was the main culprit for your drop in score, you may consider hitting both math and verbal hard, so you can improve in both sections and thus hopefully score even higher than 700.

In order to improve both your quant and verbal skills an “advanced level,” you probably need to study each topic “with a fine-toothed comb” to determine your exact weaknesses.

For example, if you are reviewing Number Properties, be sure that you practice 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. Once complete, do a thorough analysis of each incorrect question. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why you got it wrong. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By properly analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to more efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant knowledge. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant topics.

For verbal, follow a similar path. For instance, in Critical Reasoning: strengthen and weaken the conclusion, resolve the paradox, find the conclusion, must be true, etc. Once complete, do a thorough analysis of each incorrect question. If you got a weakening question wrong, ask yourself why you got it wrong. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize the specific CR question type? Were you doing too much work in your head? By thoroughly analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to more efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your Critical Reasoning knowledge. You can also follow this process for Reading Comprehension and Sentence Correction questions.

Lastly, if you are looking for the best quant and verbal materials, check out specific GMAT Club reviews for the best quant courses and for the best verbal courses.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions. Let’s do this!!
GMAT Club Bot