Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 22:16 It is currently 09 May 2024, 22:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1428 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1588 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Reapplying to Cambridge Judge - Profile review [#permalink]
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Hi Subir, yes you are in great shape to reapply this year. That's a massive jump in your GMAT and I think they will be salivating.

Of course everything else has to check out but it's a game-changer and the new job that you have is as well.

I love the international work experience and the move to Singapore. Management consulting is a great goal for Judge and you will be one year older which is honestly a plus for European schools.

I would encourage you to apply to round one that's really important for over-represented candidates.

Given your International profile in terms of language and experience I would encourage you to apply to INSEAD & LBS as well. The Wharton Lauder program if you have any inclination to do an international program in the US.

I would definitely have someone check out your old application to review it for red flags look at your goals Etc. And it's quite important to create an interesting dimention around your extracurriculars so that you can resonate with the admissions committee on an emotional level and become a real person to them.

Go for it!

https://mbaprepcoach.com

Hi Farrel,

thanks for the encouraging feedback ! You hit the nail on the head - INSEAD and LBS were the only schools I was thinking of applying to this year. I was pretty crushed after my rejection, so it took a lot to come back and try again.
With the political climate in the states, and the fact that most programs there last two years, I'm more inclined towards Europe.
Im working on the essays for INSEAD and LBS currently, but I think I'm going to add Cambridge into the mix too. Thanks again :)

Subir

Originally posted by subirroy on 05 Jul 2018, 01:12.
Last edited by subirroy on 05 Jul 2018, 01:15, edited 1 time in total.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
subirroy wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I originally applied to Cambridge in Dec 2017 for a round 2 take. I was rejected without an interview. Looking back, I definitely feel that I rushed my essays and didn't do them justice. I've since given the GMAT again and raised my score from a 700 when i applied to a 770 last month. I've also had a couple of accomplishments at work that I think I could add in.

I'd appreciate advice from someone who knows better than me - Is it worth a reapplication in Round 1 this year, or should I forget about it ? My profile is below -

- Indian, male,28, Chemical Engineer, born and brought up in India.
- Graduated in 2012, top of my class, 74%( I'm not quite sure how to convert this to a GPA) The official scale seems to think its a 2.3, but considering its a 99% percentile back in India, I'm confused.
- 770 GMAT ( Q50 V46)
-Black belt in Karate
-Captain of high school and college soccer teams.

Work Exprience

1. Management trainee at a construction chemical company ( 01/2013-12/2014) in Germany
2. Moved to a subsidiary in Malaysia as Product Manager ( 01/2015-02/2016) Kuala Lumpur
3. Promoted to Business Development Manager and moved to India (03/2016-08/2017) Goa
4. Promoted to Project Manager,South East Asia and moved to Singapore ( 09/2017-current) My role here involves extensive travelling between Singapore-Malaysia-Thailand-Vietnam.
I have solid performances in these roles, and examples/stories to back that up. I also have some experience training colleagues and working with customers in Thailand, Vietnam, Hong Kong and Taiwan, as well a strategic project in West Africa ( Sierra Leone ) during my management trainee days.

Post MBA goals : Definitely Management consulting, preferably in Europe as the rest of my family lives in Germany/England and the middle east.

Languages : English ( native) Hindi (native) German(fluent) Marathi ( basic) Bengali ( basic)

Love to hear some advice.
Thanks !
Subir

Hello subirroy,

Thanks for posting here.

First things first...you have a very strong GMAT score and that pretty much goes without saying. Considering the same, your chances of gaining an admit have been tremendously boosted. The overall international experience will work for you as well, particularly the recent promotion and move to Singapore :-)

Having said the above, you did have a fair bit of international exposure even prior to your move to Singapore and candidates with around a 710 on the GMAT have often made it to Judge. Hence, this would be a good time to revisit your essays from last year and preferably have them reviewed. This will enable you to get as many things right as possible.

Management consulting does sound like a logical goal but we are not sure if this is what you had presented in your last application, as well. Nonetheless, you must go ahead with Management consulting, taking care to tie up your short-term and long-term goals well.

Further to the above, we recommend that you apply to a larger number of European programs rather than limiting yourself to Judge. With strong international experience, INSEAD must be a definite option on your list :-)

Should you feel the need for a detailed discussion, please feel free to reach out to us.

All the best!
Send PM
Expert Reply
subirroy sounds like a good move, absolutely put Judge in the mix. To be very honest with you it's not too mysterious as to why you were rejected.

The average GMAT for judge is 690 and you had a 700 which for an Indian is honestly just too low...you really need to have at least a 710+ to clear the hurdle. Not sufficient but necessary. And that would be ONLY if you had a stellar extracurricular profile. If not more like 740+

When you don't have extracurriculars it is very difficult to separate you from others because they don't really see you doing anything else but work in their Mind's Eye. this makes you seem more two dimensional than three dimensional for the Adcom... Less of a real person.

on top of that if you feel as though you didn't execute on the essays as well as you could have... You're probably correct about that.

make sure to work with recommenders who will work with you openly and develop clear anecdotes that demonstrate leadership. This is often an underleveraged area of the application.

https://mbaprepcoach.com
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GyanOne - Thank you for your advice. I think I'm going to go for it !
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ABatExpertsGlobal - Thanks for taking the time Akansha. It's you guys that make this place so useful for wannabe-Bschoolers like me.
I did consider the fact that I had the international experience, even before the GMAT. I guess I'm just going to have to do a better job of communicating it ! I also definitely didn't make my goals clear the last time around, which is something I hope to remedy.
Im going to go ahead with INSEAD, Judge and LBS for now. Thanks again :)
Subir
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBAPrepCoach - Its like you read my mind ! I'm also working better with my referees this time around to get things more organized.
I really appreciate the candour. Wish me luck !
Subir
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
To everyone who was so kind to post here - MBAPrepCoach , ABatExpertsGlobal , GyanOne - Thank you ! Last Friday I receieved my invite to interview :)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks for the note of appreciation subirroy!
Wishing you so much luck on your interview at Judge

subirroy wrote:
To everyone who was so kind to post here - MBAPrepCoach , ABatExpertsGlobal , GyanOne - Thank you ! Last Friday I receieved my invite to interview :)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73126 [0]
Given Kudos: 18942
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived Topic
Hi there,
You've reached an archived 'Evaluate my Profile' thread. No new replies are possible.
Interested in current discussions? Please visit the active 'Evaluate my Profile' topic.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts