Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:15 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1665 [21]
Given Kudos: 348
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 823 [9]
Given Kudos: 646
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [2]
Given Kudos: 353
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: At a large elementary school, researchers studied a small group of chi [#permalink]
I don't understand why c... can anyone explain it?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
Re: At a large elementary school, researchers studied a small group of chi [#permalink]
IMO, ANS B

Conclusion: chess-playing has likely contributed as one of the factor in school achievements, in areas requiring intelligence.

One of the weakener to the argument is to present a counter statement in which this performance increment could be attributed to factor other than leaning chess, such as a raised level of self confidence after completing the program.

Ans choice B works as such a weakener by stating that the group of students who could not complete the program lost self confidence and showed a drop in performance at school.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 560 Q46 V21
GMAT 2: 620 Q48 V26
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Can some one explain, why C, not D is the official answer? May I miss something? Please clear my misconception... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Bookmarks
Classic case of co-relation leading to causation--->
Chess-----> improved intelligence, achievement level

To undermine -
Prove the opposite or an alternate cause of the effect

C hits the bull eye.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [2]
Given Kudos: 353
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
TaN1213 wrote:
rinkumaa4 wrote:
Can some one explain, why C, not D is the official answer? May I miss something? Please clear my misconception... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Conclusion says that the significant increase in achievement levels in all of their schoolwork is because of playing Chess that increased the students' reasoning power.
If there exists any other reason that warrants the increase in achievement levels , the conclusion is weakened.

C : Many of the children who completed the program subsequently sought membership on a school chess team that required a high-grade average for membership.

C says that many such students wanted a membership and to get that membership they are required to get higher grades, an alternative reason that explains the increase in achievement levels. So, in such a case, it is not the reasoning power due to playing chess , but personal motive of seeking membership that resulted in higher achievement levels.

I still disagree. C may be interpreted as high-grade average would be a result of playinf chess. That is why i think this is bad question. Option C would be better if it would be "many of the children who completed the program had peronal motives because they wanted to seek membership on a school chess team"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
spent a lot of time reading e.planation still couldnt find out appropriate reasoning for the OA .
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [2]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Hey guys - sumit411 nailed it on this one...it's a total correlation-vs.-causation flaw here and if you train yourself to see that as a flaw these types of problems get much more manageable.

There's also some precision-in-language in play here that I think can address Konstantin's point.

Look at the conclusion: it is likely that the reasoning power and spatial intuition exercised in chess-playing also contribute to achievement in many other areas of intellectual activity.

That's a really specific cause that the argument is inferring from the points that "kids joined an after school chess program, and afterward their school achievement improved." Note how really, really specific that is - even if you credit "chess" in general, this conclusion rules out "because they now had friends they liked going to school more" and "chess club helped them form positive relationships with teachers in the school," and all kinds of other ways that "chess" in general could have led to that improvement. To me that's a huge key here - it's an eerily specific conclusion that suggests a very particular cause/effect relationship, and you know that CR problems are often built with a correlation/causation flaw.

Note that C just suggests a different way that "chess" could have led to that improvement - it wasn't the spatial thinking and reasoning power, it was that in order to keep participating in this activity they liked, the kids had to get their grades up. An alternate cause is the best answer to a Weaken question that has a correlation/causation flaw.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
GRE 1: Q163 V161
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
rinkumaa4 wrote:

In my opinion, it is Cause-Cnosequence. The question says that Chess playing caused Higher performance and hence higher grades. Option C reverses them and says that students worked to get Higher Grades to register for Chess. By reversing the causal relationship, the original argument is weakened. Even I got the answer wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [1]
Given Kudos: 163
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39 (Online)
Send PM
At a large elementary school, researchers studied a small group of chi [#permalink]
Kudos
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hey guys - sumit411 nailed it on this one...it's a total correlation-vs.-causation flaw here and if you train yourself to see that as a flaw these types of problems get much more manageable.

There's also some precision-in-language in play here that I think can address Konstantin's point.

Look at the conclusion: it is likely that the reasoning power and spatial intuition exercised in chess-playing also contribute to achievement in many other areas of intellectual activity.

That's a really specific cause that the argument is inferring from the points that "kids joined an after school chess program, and afterward their school achievement improved." Note how really, really specific that is - even if you credit "chess" in general, this conclusion rules out "because they now had friends they liked going to school more" and "chess club helped them form positive relationships with teachers in the school," and all kinds of other ways that "chess" in general could have led to that improvement. To me that's a huge key here - it's an eerily specific conclusion that suggests a very particular cause/effect relationship, and you know that CR problems are often built with a correlation/causation flaw.

Note that C just suggests a different way that "chess" could have led to that improvement - it wasn't the spatial thinking and reasoning power, it was that in order to keep participating in this activity they liked, the kids had to get their grades up. An alternate cause is the best answer to a Weaken question that has a correlation/causation flaw.

Hey VeritasPrepBrian,

You are correct in saying that we have to look for an alternate cause in such correlations. But can you please explain why B can not be a weakener?

This is how I understood B - some students who didn't complete the chess course already had lower performance/achievement levels than the students who completed it.

Isn't this attacking the conclusion, which states that the chess course helped the students to perform well? I chose B because of this reason. :? Kindly help.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
sssanskaar wrote:
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:

Hey VeritasPrepBrian,

You are correct in saying that we have to look for an alternate cause in such correlations. But can you please explain why B can not be a weakener?

This is how I understood B - some students who didn't complete the chess course already had lower performance/achievement levels than the students who completed it.

Isn't this attacking the conclusion, which states that the chess course helped the students to perform well? I chose B because of this reason. :? Kindly help.

I said B was the answer...and my thought is those children who succeeded in the program were perhaps already pre-dispositioned to do well...nullifying the cause.

C I thought actually strengthened. :?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:

Apart from causation-effect reasoning that helps to correctly answer weakening questions,for the given question, it is talking specifically about students who enrolled in program and also completed it.

Only option C talks about such student and also provides an alternative cause for their higher level of achievement.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
The argument concludes that it is likely that the reasoning power and spatial intuition exercised in chess-playing also contribute to achievement in many other areas of intellectual activity.

B states that those children who began the program but who did not successfully complete it had lower preprogram levels of achievement than did those who eventually did successfully complete the program. Even if this is the case, the conclusion still stands -- that the reasoning power and spatial intuition exercised in chess-playing also contribute to achievement in many other areas of intellectual activity. Choice B doesn't give us a reason to doubt the conclusion. Children who completed the program may have higher preprogram levels of achievement, but it's still possible that the skills exercised in chess-playing contributes to many other areas of intellectual ability.

C, on the other hand, suggests that children showed significant increase in achievement levels in all of their schoolwork in order to join a school chess team.

C is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 122
Send PM
Konstantin1983 wrote:
TaN1213 wrote:
rinkumaa4 wrote:

Conclusion says that the significant increase in achievement levels in all of their schoolwork is because of playing Chess that increased the students' reasoning power.
If there exists any other reason that warrants the increase in achievement levels , the conclusion is weakened.

C : Many of the children who completed the program subsequently sought membership on a school chess team that required a high-grade average for membership.

C says that many such students wanted a membership and to get that membership they are required to get higher grades, an alternative reason that explains the increase in achievement levels. So, in such a case, it is not the reasoning power due to playing chess , but personal motive of seeking membership that resulted in higher achievement levels.

I still disagree. C may be interpreted as high-grade average would be a result of playinf chess. That is why i think this is bad question. Option C would be better if it would be "many of the children who completed the program had peronal motives because they wanted to seek membership on a school chess team"

I agree with you, this question is poorly written. I rarely blame the questions, but "seeking membership at a team afterwards that required a high-grade average " could just be the result of already achieved higher grades allowing them entrance to an exclusive club. Speculating that it gave them motivation is a big IF in my eyes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Send PM
This problem tests the concept of "causation vs. correlation". The passage suggests that completion of the program will improve schoolwork and other intellectual activities. This is a causal relationship. To weaken this logic, one must show that the logic is linked not by causation, but by correlation. C says those who have high grades are eligible to become members of the chess team. In other words, it is possible that those who completed the program are originally smart, so they perform well in schoolwork and other intellectual activities. Therefore, C makes the conclusion questionable although it does not disprove it.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts