Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:40 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619246 [13]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619246 [5]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2427 [1]
Given Kudos: 1131
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.23
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: With a salary of less than $15,000 dollars a year and fewer sources of [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
With a salary of less than $15,000 dollars a year and fewer sources of alternate income than before, Mrs. Greenman is in financial difficulty.

(A) of less than $15,000 dollars a year and fewer
(B) lower than $15,000 dollars and less
(C) lesser than $15,000 dollars and fewer
(D) fewer than $15,000 dollars and less
(E) of fewer than $15,000 dollars and of fewer

FEW is used with words denoting people or countable things (e.g fewer members; fewer books)
LESS is used with mass nouns, denoting things which cannot be counted (e.g. less money; less bother)

(A) of less than $15,000 dollars a year and fewer - CORRECT
(B) lower than $15,000 dollars and less - INCORRECT - Question is not talking about scale of salary which is higher or lower than a standard, but it talks about absolute amount of salary which is less than (or more than) a certain amount.
(C) lesser than $15,000 dollars and fewer - INCORRECT - Lesser is a comparative forms of little
(D) fewer than $15,000 dollars and less - INCORRECT
(E) of fewer than $15,000 dollars and of fewer - INCORRECT - Check the usage of OF in second part
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Given Kudos: 269
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.59
Send PM
Re: With a salary of less than $15,000 dollars a year and fewer sources of [#permalink]
Kudos
With a salary of less than $15,000 dollars a year and fewer sources of alternate income than before, Mrs. Greenman is in financial difficulty.
5 seconds Scan : less vs few
salary uncountable so less and sources countable so fewer
(A) of less than $15,000 dollars a year and fewer
(B) lower than $15,000 dollars and less
(C) lesser than $15,000 dollars and fewer
(D) fewer than $15,000 dollars and less
(E) of fewer than $15,000 dollars and of fewer

also to decide between A vs C go with A as c omits the a year term and therefore change in meaning
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
In my opinion, a big clue to the answer is $15,000 a year. No other option mentions it. For all other options, this $15,000 could have been monthly salary which when combined is a significant amount. That is what I used to answer this question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
A should be the answer
"sources" is countable so B and D is eliminated.
"Dollars" is uncountable so E eliminated.
"Lesser" is not correct. C eliminated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
We use fewer for countable ,here dollars are countable so why E is incorrect.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
can you please explain why 15,000 dollors is not countable ? Also please explain if it is correct to use POE and eliminate options without " dollars in year" pharse?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 307 [3]
Given Kudos: 117
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos