Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [4]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Given Kudos: 147
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Send PM
Re: IIMA PGPX ESSAY Analysis for 2019 Intake [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
vvijay26 wrote:
Thanks for this post. Some follow up questions for essay 1, if you don't mind answering them -

Isn't the first essay about a day that already happened at work? I got the impression that we need to cite the best day we ever had at our workplace (such as an account win, a major fire-fighting etc.). When you say, that list your best experiences and weave them to your best day, it looks like you are suggesting to take good experiences from several days and then create a hypothetical best day, is my understanding correct?

Hi Vijay,

Yes, this is what I am suggesting that you talk about your big experiences as your big day.

However, your approach is also perfectly fine. This is an open-ended question and its left to the reader's interpretation. Be sure that you have enough things to say in 500 words if you talk about one particular real day.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
manu26128 wrote:
Thanks for the insights..
IMHO the 2nd essay requires the reasons for your to quit your previous job and to join back, if given a chance. I am going ahead with this line.
After PGPX joining same organization cannot be implied from the topic.

what do others think about it

Interesting Manu. :) There are so many ways to interpret a question.
What you wrote about the "last organization" is also a thought that crossed my mind. However, I thought your current organization is more relevant to the b-school. In some cases, applicants would have spent a considerable amount of time in their present organization, so for them, talking about the "last" or previous one would not make sense.

However, it would be pertinent to know the adcom's views about these essays. But, after reading the responses on this thread I am sure about one thing- the adcom is going to hear a varied set of responses, with different interpretations of the essay questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 176
Schools: IIMA
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
Send PM
I have just 1 question in my mind? How long should the introduction part,which encompassess my idea of the best day as it is a subjective analysis, of Essay 1 should be?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
ravirjn wrote:
I have just 1 question in my mind? How long should the introduction part,which encompassess my idea of the best day as it is a subjective analysis, of Essay 1 should be?

Hi Ravi,

That would be very difficult to say without knowing what you are planning to write in the essay.

One caveat is- are you writing too many sentences which could also be repeated by other applicants, and hence are generic? When I am reviewing and editing essays, this is the biggest mistake I find and almost always remove those sentences. These things happen more in essay introductions and ends...so be careful of not doing this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Experts, Any suggestions for the R2 essay topics?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
rishit9999 wrote:

Are the R2 questions any different? R1 questions were quite straightforward and you could write an answer that flows well between both the questions. The first could be the best day/accomplishment at your work and the second question is a continuation of the same where you talk why even though the day in Q1 happened, you still don't want to return.

The biggest mistake you can make for ANY MBA essay is getting too philosophical and not answering a straightforward question. IIMA has asked you rather straightforward questions. Don't worry about it much and write your answers to the point. There isn't much space for flowery language anyway.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM
carpediemwtf wrote:
rishit9999 wrote:

Are the R2 questions any different? R1 questions were quite straightforward and you could write an answer that flows well between both the questions. The first could be the best day/accomplishment at your work and the second question is a continuation of the same where you talk why even though the day in Q1 happened, you still don't want to return.

The biggest mistake you can make for ANY MBA essay is getting too philosophical and not answering a straightforward question. IIMA has asked you rather straightforward questions. Don't worry about it much and write your answers to the point. There isn't much space for flowery language anyway.

The topics are:

1. One thing you would like to change in your current organization.
2. Your dream job.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
rahulsri459 wrote:
carpediemwtf wrote:
rishit9999 wrote:

The topics are:

1. One thing you would like to change in your current organization.
2. Your dream job.

These still seem to be in the same ballpark just structured differently.
Q1 is why you would not like to go back to your current employer. You may also talk about the challenges you have faced and how you tackled them. How you think IIMA can help you grow and be better to change such setups in the future. After this, flow into the second one stating which specific company/function/position do you see as having those properties and this becomes a long term, short term careers goal essay.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
Send PM
Hi all
What should be the basic framework of my job role essay for IIM A pgpx..Apart from my job description what are they looking for in this essay ?
Thanks all
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Debashis Roy wrote:
Hi all
What should be the basic framework of my job role essay for IIM A pgpx..Apart from my job description what are they looking for in this essay ?
Thanks all

Hi Debashis,

Thanks for reaching out. Here are a few things you should always include:
1. show your leadership skills: use words such as initiated, improved, launched, established, led, saved (costs, manpower, time), earned, increased (revenue), negotiated..and any other words that help you show leadership and initiation.

2. quantify results where you can. For people working in technical profiles, this is usually a challenge. However, I will encourage you to do some calculations/ sit with your manager and get the figures. I find it vague when applicants write subjectively like "millions of dollars" - it could be $2M, $5M, $10M - give the right info to the adcom, so that they know exactly what your achievement/ responsibility was.
quantifying results will also help you to prove that you have business sense.

Since the IIMA application has both a job description section and an achievement section, you can make both impactful using the points I have shared above.

3. in terms of structure, you could use either bullet points or small paragraphs, whatever works better for you.

Hope that helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
Send PM
thanks for your response,
So in both the job responsibility and the job achievements segments, I need to highlight about the impacts rather than routine/technical description of the work.
Right?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Debashis Roy wrote:
thanks for your response,
So in both the job responsibility and the job achievements segments, I need to highlight about the impacts rather than routine/technical description of the work.
Right?

Hi Debashis,

its a little difficult to explain. You should not repeat the information between the two sections. But make both of them compelling.
Another thing, don't use company/industry jargon.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived IIM Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our IIM Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated IIM Forum for all fresh things related to the IIM MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts