Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:53 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1498 [45]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [7]
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [2]
Send PM
Re: If new working practices raise a firm s productivity, will [#permalink]
Kudos
my choice is C

The only way the worker will gain without wage increase is by buying their company's products, which prices are going down.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 327 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
If new working practices raise a firm's productivity, will the firm respond by paying its workers more? Not in a competitive market. In such a market the firm, to gain a competitive edge, will reduce prices. The workers' real wages, as measured by those wages' purchasing power, will still rise because of lower prices.

In a competitive market which of the following, if true, ensures that the workers of a firm that achieved productivity gains will derive from these gains the benefit of higher real wages?

(A) The workers' firm continues to achieve productivity gains.
(B) Other firms do not achieve comparable productivity gains.
(C) The workers buy products made by the firm that employs them.
(D) The workers prefer the new working practices over the old.
(E) The firm pays its workers at or above the industry's average.
---------

I do not like this question at all. But the logic here is that in competitive market the firm will not play more to it's workers, so the wages of these workers will remain the same, But
the real wages will become higher if the workers buy the cheaper production.
So yes, it is only C.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 933 [4]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
No wonder GMAC dropped this one. Knowledge of purchasing power is somewhat too "business" .
Anyway :

Quote:
If new working practices raise a firm's productivity, will the firm respond by paying its workers more? Not in a competitive market. In such a market the firm, to gain a competitive edge, will reduce prices. The workers' real wages, as measured by those wages' purchasing power, will still rise because of lower prices.

Understand :
1) productivity increases > no salary increase.
2) company will reduce prices of products to stay competetive.
3) real wages = wasges' purchasing power (that means if for eg my salary is 100 $ and i can afford two apples. (50$ per apple ) ..Now my salary is still 100$ but i can afford 5 apples ( 20$ per apple .) SO basically my salary's power has increased. Initially with 100 i could buy 2 , but now i can buy 5 with same 100 so my 100 is much more powerful ) That is purchasing power .
4) Workers' real wages(salary's puchasing power) will rise.
Quote:
In a competitive market which of the following, if true, ensures that the workers of a firm that achieved productivity gains will derive from these gains the benefit of higher real wages?

-ASSUMPTION Question- Basicaly we want an Answer that will ensure( make us believe more) that THOUGH the salary is SAME, the salary's purchasin power will increase.

Think : The author says that even though the salary doesnt rise the purchasing power of that salary rises ?? how ?? He also says that company will reduce prices. Consider a comapny that charges 50 for 1 apple. My salary = 100 . so my purchasing power 2 ( 100 getting me 2 apples). But if comapny lowers is price to 20 , then my purchasing power has increased. to 5 ( 5 apples per 100) . But only if i buy that company's product.

Quote:
A) The workers' firm continues to achieve productivity gains.

- Does not tell us how the purchasing power will increase. Even if the productivity gains continues , we still do not know how gains are linked to increased purchasing power.

Quote:

-Even if other firms achieve comparable prices, the conclusion may still stand . At the end the workers are going to purchase a cheaper product.
does not breal the conclusion when negated.

Quote:
(C) The workers buy products made by the firm that employs them. - CORRECT

- Consider two companies A and B . A's apples = 50 $ . B's aplles= 50$ . workers work in company A and company A to be comapetetive lowers the price of the apple to 20 . Now my purchasing power will only increase if i purchsae A's product and not B's.

Quote:
(D) The workers prefer the new working practices over the old
- Workers' preference is not relevamt to purchasimg power

Quote:
(E) The firm pays its workers at or above the industry's average

- Paying prices at or above a par , does not help us. Evem of the firm pays wages below the par , the products' lower price may still be prosperous to the workers / may still get them atleast something more than the value they paid BEFORE .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
A tough one for me. Even after analyzing OA a dozen times, I dont see how it fits as a solution. The aim here is though salaries dont rise lets make the cost prices less. As per option A, if workers go on increasing the company's productivity, the same price cut would be applicable making the same/higher purchasing potential.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
qhoc0010 wrote:

(A) The workers' firm continues to achieve productivity gains.
(C) The workers buy products made by the firm that employs them.
(D) The workers prefer the new working practices over the old.
(E) The firm pays its workers at or above the industry's average.

The only reason i think A is the OA is because when a particular firm's productivity increases, the price of their products drop. Subsequently other competitors also drop their prices to stay in the market(although we don't know they make profit or not) this reduces prices overall and they have a greater advantage than option C.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Understanding the argument -
If new working practices raise a firm's productivity, will the firm respond by paying its workers more? - Question
Not in a competitive market. - Fact
In such a market the firm, to gain a competitive edge, will reduce prices. - Fact
The workers' real wages, as measured by those wages' purchasing power, will still rise because of lower prices. - Conclusion

Option Elimination -

(A) The workers' firm continues to achieve productivity gains. - But this doesn't ensure that the workers will derive the benefit of higher real wages.
(B) Other firms do not achieve comparable productivity gains. - Out of scope.
(C) The workers buy products made by the firm that employs them. - ok.
(D) The workers prefer the new working practices over the old. - Out of scope.
(E) The firm pays its workers at or above the industry's average. - Out of scope.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts