Last visit was: 10 May 2024, 04:28 It is currently 10 May 2024, 04:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [9]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
 Q46  V34
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32995 [0]
Given Kudos: 4473
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: In many underdeveloped countries, the state plays an important and inc [#permalink]
Thank you two for your suggesting your answers. I will revise and check over my answers again on the basis of your suggestions.

Try as I would, I could not find the OAs for this passage. I went up and down the Web in order to get the OAs, but in vain.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: MSc Commerce, MMS, MFin
Schools:McIntire, Fuqua, Villanova, Vandy, WashingtonU
Send PM
Re: In many underdeveloped countries, the state plays an important and inc [#permalink]
Kudos
carcass wrote:
in a passage quite difficult like this I think that one of the most important thing is the time that one used to read and pick the answer. because could be all correct but if I use 20 minutes or 30 to do all, not so good.

So, I saw your answer and I pick this

D - nothing in the passage mentioned workers.

A - seem to me obvious. first two sentences of first paragraph and last of third

A - B is mentioned in the third sentence of first paragraph; C is also one of the first scope of the author of the passage; D is in the passage; E in the first paragraph. Hence is A

D - This was really tough :( but is D: infact if we see the third sentence of first paragraph and the third we can infer this.

D

C - the population wil eat all that the market will produce, then there will not be wellness and a country will fall into low-level equilibrium trap.

Please post OA :).

Was a really tough passage.

DAAEDC here. You posted a great explanation, so no need for a 2nd one.

I disagree with #4.
Quote:
D.The first is a barrier to private investment; the second can attract it.
E.The first can prevent development from occurring; the second can negate its effects.

"lol-level equilibrium trap" basically means that when per-capita income goes up, population increases, and per-capita income goes back to normal. Answer E makes sense. While lack of communication cables can prevent the development, "low-level equilibruim trap" will ruin all development by increasing population
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Other (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
This passage is from Kaplan. OG is DAAEDC. I have a different question regarding this.. that I am really trying to figure out. Where else, besides kaplan can this passage be found. I did the first 2 passages in the kaplan quiz for RC and I am pretty sure I have read them both before... just can't figure out where. Please feel free to PM me if need be.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1380
Send PM
Hi ,

Can you please explain the 5 question . specially " III. Transportation and communications facilities can be built up through a series of small-scale improvements. " - State or private enterprise is not mentioned .

Regards
Abhijit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [3]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Q1-
D is correct option since passage does not talk about livelihoods and security of workers.

Q2-
A is correct because the passage is focusing on state intervention for development.

Q3-
A is the answer. Pretty straightforward question. Except for A, all others mentioned in passage.

Q4-
"technical indivisibilities in the social overhead capital" is preventing development. A,B,C eliminated. Answer is either D or E.
"low-level equilibrium trap" does not attract development/economic growth, it negates it, therefore E is correct answer.

Q5-
I supports author's claim rather than casting doubt. So, A,C and E eliminated.

Now we are left with B and D. Both contain II, so we dont even need to check II since it is correct (save some time). Just check statement III now

III would also cast doubt since it goes against what the passage states. So,III is also a correct answer choice.

Therefore, answer is D

Q6-
C is the correct answer as clearly mentioned in passage
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Tough passage. Any guesses as to the difficulty of the passage? I got 5/6 in 13:18 and 3/4 in 11:11 with the first 4 questions. I probably should have just moved on from question 4. Had E, then changed to D, then E, then D again! Spent 2:50 on that question and still got it wrong. Never do that on the real test! That question was quite tough. I can help provide an answer explanation for the other questions though.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33509 [0]
Given Kudos: 5787
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Here are difficulty levels

Question 1: 600
Question 2: 550
Question 3: 650
Question 4: 700
Question 5: 600
Question 6: 550

Passage Overall difficulty level: 600

Hope it Helps

gmatconqueror2018 wrote:
Tough passage. Any guesses as to the difficulty of the passage? I got 5/6 in 13:18 and 3/4 in 11:11 with the first 4 questions. I probably should have just moved on from question 4. Had E, then changed to D, then E, then D again! Spent 2:50 on that question and still got it wrong. Never do that on the real test! That question was quite tough. I can help provide an answer explanation for the other questions though.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Here are difficulty levels

Question 1: 600
Question 2: 550
Question 3: 650
Question 4: 700
Question 5: 600
Question 6: 550

Passage Overall difficulty level: 600

Hope it Helps

gmatconqueror2018 wrote:

Thank you for the reply. Passage felt a bit more difficult than 600 level. Closer to 650 but not quite 700. Just my opinion. Questions were a bit easier than the actual content of the passage. Would like to hear others” thoughts as well.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1325 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Got all correct except for Q4!

Passage Map:

1) State's role in economy. 4 arguments. 1st argument discussed
2) 2nd Arg: demand
3) 3rd Arg: equilibrium trap
4) 4th Arg: relationship between delayed development and the state
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
all answers were right but i took 17 minutes which was too much.
Actually passage was quite long and language is of moderate level not tough than RC of humanities type !!!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 849 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14016 posts