Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:26 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [13]
Given Kudos: 155
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 327 [4]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Re: Ian has three pets: Barnum the cat, Bailey the cat, and Daisy the dog, [#permalink]
[quote="LighthousePrep"]Hi,

The best way to attack this question is to dive in.

With the information given, we know that X is 1001 (361,361 divided by 361).

Now, we know that to get a product of 1001, we need three numbers that are close to 10 (because 10*10*10 = 1000).

Playing around, we can find that the ages of the three pets are 7, 11, and 13 (7*11*13=1001).

(1) clearly tells us Daisy's age.
(2) narrows it down to two options, but doesn't solve the problem.

Thus, (1) alone is sufficient. A.

Hope this helps! Good luck studying!

Hi @Bunnel,
Please explain.I got the answer as E.
In statement A,we are told that dog's age is not 10.Thus, it can be 13,7,11.
How can A be sufficient
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Ian has three pets: Barnum the cat, Bailey the cat, and Daisy the dog, [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi All,

Although the original author of this question did not put in the restriction that the ages are all INTEGERS, it appears that that is the "intent" of the question. The questions on the Official GMAT are always carefully worded though (to remove this type of ambiguity).

Using prime factorization, we're meant to deduce that the ages of the pets are 7, 11 and 13 (in some order). We're asked for Daisy's age.

Fact 1: Daisy is not yet 10.

This means that she's YOUNGER than 10 and there's only one value that fits: 7
Fact 1 is SUFFICIENT

Fact 2: The sum of the digits in Barnum's age is EVEN.

This means that Barnum is either 11 or 13. In either situation, Daisy could be EITHER of the other two ages.
Fact 2 is INSUFFICIENT

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 339 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi All,

Although the original author of this question did not put in the restriction that the ages are all INTEGERS, it appears that that is the "intent" of the question. The questions on the Official GMAT are always carefully worded though (to remove this type of ambiguity).

Using prime factorization, we're meant to deduce that the ages of the pets are 7, 11 and 13 (in some order). We're asked for Daisy's age.

Fact 1: Daisy is not yet 10.

This means that she's YOUNGER than 10 and there's only one value that fits: 7
Fact 1 is SUFFICIENT

Fact 2: The sum of the digits in Barnum's age is EVEN.

This means that Barnum is either 11 or 13. In either situation, Daisy could be EITHER of the other two ages.
Fact 2 is INSUFFICIENT

Final Answer:

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thank you so much for your explanation. Just one question:

Is the math shortcut 361,361/361 = 1,001 (or 421,421/421 = 1,001 or any of the like) one we should know for the GMAT

I´ve been studying for this exam for long and this is the first time I see it. I think this question could not be answered if one didn´t know about this math shortcut. I am asking this especially since this is not an official question.

Thank you so much
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi minwoswoh,

In answer to your immediate question - NO, you don't have to have this specific pattern memorized. However, the GMAT IS a test that is based heavily on patterns, so your ability to spot, evaluate or deduce that a pattern occurs in a question can significantly improve your chances of answer the question correctly AND quickly.

For the sake of argument, how much TIME would it really take you to figure out that 361,361/361 = 1,001? Be honest. If you had to perform that calculation by hand, how long would it take? Certain GMAT questions require a bit more 'work' from you, so you shouldn't be surprised when you have to put pen to pad and perform a calculation. The truth is that while that specific calculation might "look" scary, it's NOT a difficult calculation. Business Schools expect you to stay calm and not 'get upset' by weird-looking numbers, so you're going to face some questions on the GMAT that include that type of 'psychological aspect.'

Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 339 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi minwoswoh,

In answer to your immediate question - NO, you don't have to have this specific pattern memorized. However, the GMAT IS a test that is based heavily on patterns, so your ability to spot, evaluate or deduce that a pattern occurs in a question can significantly improve your chances of answer the question correctly AND quickly.

For the sake of argument, how much TIME would it really take you to figure out that 361,361/361 = 1,001? Be honest. If you had to perform that calculation by hand, how long would it take? Certain GMAT questions require a bit more 'work' from you, so you shouldn't be surprised when you have to put pen to pad and perform a calculation. The truth is that while that specific calculation might "look" scary, it's NOT a difficult calculation. Business Schools expect you to stay calm and not 'get upset' by weird-looking numbers, so you're going to face some questions on the GMAT that include that type of 'psychological aspect.'

Rich

Hi Rich,
Thank you so much for your answer. Yes, I understand that the GMAT is heavily biased on patterns. That´s why I always try to memorize patterns that come up often (this was not the case, since it was the first time I saw it...)

Regarding to your specific question: For the sake of argument, how much TIME would it really take you to figure out that 361,361/361 = 1,001? Be honest
It took me a while, to be honest... I wish I had been faster

Thanks again!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi minwoswoh,

To clarify, I'm not asking how long you stared at the calculation or thought about it (or attempted it in your head) - I'm asking about the actual PHYSICAL calculation itself. How long does it take to write it on the pad and perform the calculation?

If THAT part of the process is taking you a long time, then it might be that you need to put in some repetitions on doing standard arithmetic work (add, subtract, multiply, divide, simplifying fractions, etc.).

Rich
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1288 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 590 Q46 V25
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
x*361 = 361361.
x = 1001.
Factorize x, we get 1001 = 7*11*13.

From S1:

Dog's age is less than 10.
It has to be 7.
SUFFICIENT.

From S2:

Sum of age is even.
Can be 11 or 23.
INSUFFICIENT.

A is the answer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 696 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
are you considering ages to be integer ?

Chethan92 wrote:
x*361 = 361361.
x = 1001.
Factorize x, we get 1001 = 7*11*13.

From S1:

Dog's age is less than 10.
It has to be 7.
SUFFICIENT.

From S2:

Sum of age is even.
Can be 11 or 23.
INSUFFICIENT.

A is the answer
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1288 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 590 Q46 V25
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Yes, I considered ages as integers.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Ian has three pets: Barnum the cat, Bailey the cat, and Daisy the dog, [#permalink]
Let the age of Barnum = a
age of Bailey = b
age of Daisy = d
Constraint: a,b,d > 1, a•b•d =x
Asked Daisy’s age (d)=?

x= 361,361/361= 1001
.: a•b•d= 1001 = 7•11•3 (in no particular order for a,b and d)

(St1) Daisy is not yet 10yrs old—> so d <10 . Now, only 7 in the product of the ages is less than 10. so Daisy’s age is 7yrs
(Suff.)

(St2) The sum of digits of Barnum’s (a) age is even
The only ages with sum digit Even is (11 or 13),so if a=11yrs ,then (b=13 ,d=7) or (b=7 ,d=13). Daisy’s age is 7or13 yrs

Again, if a=13yrs,then (b=11 ,d=7) or (b=7 ,d=11). Daisy’s age is 7 or 11yrs
different ages for (d)
(not sufficient)

Answer (A)

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 232
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V30
Send PM
Maxirosario2012
General rule ages are always integer because I cannot tell my age is 12.5 years
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
Maxirosario2012 wrote:
Thank you LighthousePrep.
But the problem does not specify that the ages of the pets are integers. Therefore, the age of Daisy coould be 3:

3*7*11 = 1,001

or could be 4:

4*10.01*25=1001

Then, the correct answer would be "E".

+1

How do we come to the conclusion that we are dealing with integers? For GMAT, you guys always say that we can not take this for granted unless we are told we are dealing with integers.

Answer is obviously E.

abc = x
x * 361 = 361 361
x = 1001

7, 11, 13 fits.
5,5, 14, 13 also fits.

Half years of age are conventional answers to questions about age. How old are you? Five and a half. It is actually quite important for a child.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92947 posts