Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 22:57 It is currently 14 May 2024, 22:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1559 [31]
Given Kudos: 132
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 360
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [4]
Given Kudos: 2974
Send PM
As of 2007, the Linden municipality of Switzerland had a population of [#permalink]
Kudos
My two cents :
Everytime you have a time marker : Something leading upto an event, you have to use Past perfect. Eg :

By 1945, he had been 90 years old.
By 2004, I had received my Masters degree.

By that logic, you can eliminate C, D, & E. Between A & B, the subject here is singular hence the verb should too. That eliminates A.

Sunil

Originally posted by cyclops12321 on 24 Oct 2019, 19:51.
Last edited by cyclops12321 on 05 Apr 2022, 03:53, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
Re: As of 2007, the Linden municipality of Switzerland had a population of [#permalink]
Are we choosing option B over option A, because
1. 4 percent is not clearly parallel with population
2. use of was/were
3. both reasons 1 & 2
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
Re: As of 2007, the Linden municipality of Switzerland had a population of [#permalink]
cyclops12321 wrote:
My two cents :
Everytime you have a time marker : Something leading upto an event, you have to use Past perfect. Eg :

By 1945, he had been 90 years old.
By 2004, I had received my Masters degree.

By that logic, you can eliminate C, D, & E. Between A & B, the subject here is singular hence the verb should too. That eliminates A.

Sunil

I think this sentence can be written in simple past as well.
Better reason to avoid CDE should be
C: Switzerland, which was 1,338 - Use of which will refer to Switzerland, not the population
D: less than four percent of them foreign nationals - them has no antecedent
E: Linden municipality of Switzerland's population of 1,338 was foreign nationals - construction is unclear; whose population? Switzerland's or LM's?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GPA: 3.16
Send PM
I was stuck between A and B. Can somebody explain why we choose B? Especially why the use of "were" is wrong in A? Bunuel GMATNinja

I thought "were" is right, because I thought that the 4% of the population means the members of this population...therefore I thought plural is necessary.

Thank you in advance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Schools: IIMC
GMAT Focus 1:
635 Q88 V79 DI77
GPA: 7.98
Send PM
If C would have been like "less than four percent of the population of the Linden municipality of Switzerland, which was 1,338, was foreign nationals". Then over here, "which" would refer to Switzerland or the population of the Linded municipality of Switzerland ?
I am under the impression that which would refer to Switzerland here as referring to the population seems far fetched. Please correct me here if am wrong ?
Also, does "which" always follows the touch rule in GMAT ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
DmitryFarber can you please explain why we use "was" over "were" ? I thought foreign nationals is plural, so it should be were.

Or is the subject something else? If the subject was the "population" it is singular but if it is "population of 1,338" isn't that plural?

I was between A and B:

(A) the Linden municipality of Switzerland had a population of 1,338, of which less than four percent were foreign nationals

(B) Switzerland's Linden municipality had a population of 1,338, of which less than four percent was made up of foreign nationals
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Send PM
As of 2007, the Linden municipality of Switzerland had a population of 1,338, of which less than four percent were foreign nationals.

(A) the Linden municipality of Switzerland had a population of 1,338, of which less than four percent were foreign nationals

(B) Switzerland's Linden municipality had a population of 1,338, of which less than four percent was made up of foreign nationals

(C) less than four percent of the population of the Linden municipality of Switzerland, which was 1,338, were foreign nationals

(D) the population of Switzerland's Linden municipality was 1,338, less than four percent of them foreign nationals

(E) less than four percent of the Linden municipality of Switzerland's population of 1,338 was foreign nationals

Unable to understand why B is the answer. Why is "were" wrong here?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Schools: IIM
Send PM
egmat
why did we use 'less' ? population is countable.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts