Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:36 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [39]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [11]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [3]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.9
WE:Education (Accounting)
Send PM
Re: Plunging prices are revealing the extent to which nations, hailed in r [#permalink]
Kudos
Plunging prices are revealing the extent to which nations, hailed in recent years as having outgrown their roots in natural resources, still rely heavily on these commodities.

A) as having outgrown their roots in natural resources, still rely heavily

B) to have outgrown their roots in natural resources, are still heavily reliant

C) as an outgrowth of their roots in natural resources, still rely heavily

D) to outgrow their roots in natural resources, are still relying heavily

E) as outgrowing their roots in natural resources, still heavily reliant.

I think the sentence requires a present continuous tense as the process is ongoing. We can eliminate A, C & E. Between B & D to have is preferable to to outgrow. IMO B is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [1]
Given Kudos: 294
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q48 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Plunging prices are revealing the extent to which nations, hailed in r [#permalink]
Kudos
Plunging prices are revealing the extent to which nations, hailed in recent years as having outgrown their roots in natural resources, still rely heavily on these commodities.

"Low hanging fruits" are choices E (sentence fragment) and B (action verb "rely" is better than to+be+adjective "are reliant")

E) as outgrowing their roots in natural resources, still heavily reliant

Then, I find it difficult to decide among A-C-D as do not fully get meaning, so I'm guessing it is D.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [3]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Kudos

E) as outgrowing their roots in natural resources, still heavily reliant[/quote]

A - "as having outgrown looks correct" - looks good

B - "to have outgrown" implies the intention on part of the nation.

C - "as an outgrowth of their roots" - A nation being an outgrowth of it's roots sounds ridiculous. Also "their" should be "its"

D - "to outgrow" implies intention

E - "as outgrowing" implies it's still happening. "their" should be "its"

Answer is A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [1]
Given Kudos: 179
Send PM
Kudos
Hailed as is used when referring to someone as Y or praising them and this is the most common form I have come across, it is usually followed by a noun . In rare cases, I have seen other uses such as Hail to (Hail to the king or hail the king)

Correct

I prefer the verb rely

Hailed as an outgrowth is incorrect

Hailed as outgrowing in incorrect since we are missing a noun

Therefore answer is A
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1344 [1]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
Plunging prices are revealing the extent to which nations, hailed in r [#permalink]
Kudos
generis wrote:

MEANING
Plunging prices are revealing the extent that nation still heavily rely on these commodities.
Which nations? Those hailed in the past for having outgrown its dependence on nat resources.

B) "are still reliant on" < "still rely on" - active voice is better; "hailed to" unidiomatic;
C) "nations hailed as an outgrowth" nonsense;
D) "hailed [past] to outgrow their roots" unintended;
E) "the extent to which they still [adj] heavily [adj] reliant [adj]" frag;

Ans (A)

Originally posted by exc4libur on 14 Nov 2019, 07:41.
Last edited by exc4libur on 15 Nov 2019, 03:53, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [1]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:

After reading the sentence one may conclude that the following subjects are being tested: meaning, tenses, and structure. One needs to understand what is going with the meaning. The prices are revealing [something] the extent [which extent?] to which nations, [blah-blah], rely on something [commodities = resources] even these days. The modifier includes a time indicator - in recent years - that requires Present Perfect (have + Ved) tense.

Let's keep it.

Let's keep it.

This option is a colossal mess in terms of meaning. Can nations be hailed [thought of] as an outgrowth? Ugh... no way. This option goes to the Trash bin.

to outgrow is not wrong grammatically. Perhaps, something can be projected to outgrow the original projection. However, option (D) has a problem with meaning. The modifier speaks about recent years, so we should have a tense that correlates to what is meant. Prices indicate that something has happened in recent years. We need Present Perfect.

Again, this option does not make much sense. Nations are hailed in recent years as outgrowing their roots? Ugly.

To be honest, it is hard for me to decide between (A) and (B). While [nations] still rely heavily looks more concise than [nations] are still heavily reliant, I think hailed in recent years to have outgrown their roots works better than hailed in recent years as having outgrown their roots. Therefore, I go with (B).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
Send PM
Kudos

A) as having outgrown their roots in natural resources, still rely heavily - issue with as having , makes it unidiomatic and distorts the meaning

-makes sense , to have grown their roots in natural resources playing role of adverb, if you remove this line, it connects with are
incorrect usage of as, illogical comparison - as can be used either when it is playing some role or comparing one entity to another, illogical meaning

D is tough one, but according to original sentence roots are already grown , so its out

E) as outgrowing their roots in natural resources, still heavily reliant - same reason as in C, incorrect usage of as
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [2]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Plunging prices are revealing the extent to which nations, hailed in r [#permalink]
Kudos

Meaning: Prices (of natural resources) are going down. These continuous reductions in prices are revealing some information about some nations. These nations were previously believed to no longer depend on natural resources. However, these recent price reductions show that they still rely heavily on natural resources. It can be inferred that the price reductions are having a toll on the economies of these nations.

Split #1: hailed as having outgrown vs hailed to have outgrown
Both idioms are correctly used in options A and B.

Option A: Plunging prices are revealing the extent to which nations, hailed in recent years as having outgrown their roots in natural resources, still rely heavily on these commodities.
There is nothing obviously wrong with this option. Hence, let's keep option A.

Option B: Plunging prices are revealing the extent to which nations, hailed in recent years to have outgrown their roots in natural resources, are still heavily reliant on these commodities.
Grammatically correct. Hence, let's keep this option B also.

Option C: Plunging prices are revealing the extent to which nations, hailed in recent years as an outgrowth of their roots in natural resources, still rely heavily on these commodities.
The right idiom is hailed as having. Hailed as an outgrowth does not make sense. An outgrowth should rather be outgrow. Eliminate option C.

Option D: Plunging prices are revealing the extent to which nations, hailed in recent years to outgrow their roots in natural resources, are still relying heavily on these commodities.
The right idiom is hailed to have. In addition, outgrow should be outgrown. Eliminate option D.

Option E: Plunging prices are revealing the extent to which nations, hailed in recent years as outgrowing their roots in natural resources, still heavily reliant on these commodities.
The right idiom is hailed as having. In addition, outgrowing should rather be outgrown. Eliminate option E.

Between options A and B, the difference is as follows:
Option A: nations still rely heavily on these commodities.
Option B: nations are still heavily reliant on these commodities.
Option A is more concise. The verb rely is more concise than are reliant.
Hence on the grounds of concision, I have chosen option A over option B.

The right answer is option A.

PS: This question reminds me of the question on salads, whereby Babylonians are known to have doused.....
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [1]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:

I missed the OA deadline today :(

My first thought was to remove the piece in the middle and focus on the second half. But there is nothing wrong with any of those choices.
Both "still rely heavily" and "are still relying heavily" are fine. One can argue the former is concise but that is not the correct reason to eliminate any answer choice.

Quote:

It boils down to meaning here. "to have outgrown" and "to outgrow" is not the intended meaning. The nations hailed in the recent years because of having outgrown their roots in natural resources. Also try to get a feel of the tense here.

Quote:
C) as an outgrowth of their roots in natural resources, still rely heavily This one should have been an easy elimination because of the usage of "outgrowth of"
E) as outgrowing their roots in natural resources, still heavily reliant Even though outgrowing as a tense is okay to me but meaning changes here.

A is the best we can do. May be I would not have picked A but whenever you are in doubt or cannot find any obvious errors, A is the best you can do. No this is not an Absolute rule, obviously. But one should have a feel of this.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1022 [1]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Kudos

A) as having outgrown their roots in natural resources, still rely heavily - ...nations, hailed as having outgrown their roots.. seems odd construction even though no other error, hold it & let's check better one.

B) to have outgrown their roots in natural resources, are still heavily reliant - improper usage of adjective

C) as an outgrowth of their roots in natural resources, still rely heavily - Usage of outgrowth looks fishy, but let's keep it.

D) to outgrow their roots in natural resources, are still relying heavily - present continuous tense changes the meaning as the event

E) as outgrowing their roots in natural resources, still heavily reliant - Improper usage of adjective and usage of outgrowing ridiculous.

From option A & C, I'd like to choose option A as GMAC usually prefers verb over Adjective & noun form. In addition to that, original sentence does not indicate intention of outgrown. So, option C could be incorrect.

Imo. A
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I have posted the official explanation here.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
COMMENTS

soulcycle and gmatdordie , welcome to SC Butler. :)

Well, It must have been a hell of a welcome for them :-D Just Kidding, Welcome to this great initiative.

generis, Very nicely explained. :please :please Not that you don't. But this one had a very nice flow to it and was more based on how one should approach the question.

Thank you for all you do, as always!

EDIT: No, I never eliminate any option on any grounds other than strict grammar rules (SV Agreement or Tense may be). Even Pronoun ambiguity is not an absolute rule on GMAT as we know. "Having" and/or "being" may or may not be wrong. You need to be open to consider the possibility that the usage can be right.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Hi generis, to answer your question at the very end of your OE. The longer I looked at (A) vs (B), the more I was inclining towards (A), but decided to pick (B) as it was my original answer. I knew the meaning of the word "hailed", but did not know that it goes with "as". However, the compelling part about (A) was its concision.

I guess one may say that "having Ved" is rarely used.

Thanks much for an awesome explanation!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1022 [0]
Send PM
Hi, generis,

Very nicely explained as usual!! :)

I did not straightforwardly rejected option A because of word 'having' although sound weird meaning and usage. I thought let me park it and find the better option if available. After reviewing all options, i kept option A and C as an contenders as i could not nailed the meaning of original sentence. Ultimately i relied on VAN rule and chose A, which is fortunately correct. In some good questions, such fortune may not be with me. Whenever i stuck between two options and don't understand the meaning, then i go with preferences. I know i must have clear meaning in mind or it can cost me at later stage because preferences are not absolutes.

Regards,
Raxit T.
VP
VP
Send PM
Raxit85 wrote:
Hi, generis,

Very nicely explained as usual!! :)

I did not straightforwardly rejected option A because of word 'having' although sound weird meaning and usage. I thought let me park it and find the better option if available. After reviewing all options, i kept option A and C as an contenders as i could not nailed the meaning of original sentence. Ultimately i relied on VAN rule and chose A, which is fortunately correct. In some good questions, such fortune may not be with me. Whenever i stuck between two options and don't understand the meaning, then i go with preferences. I know i must have clear meaning in mind or it can cost me at later stage because preferences are not absolutes.

Regards,
Raxit T.

Raxit85, Hello!
I don't know what the VAN rule was but I googled and found this: "When a word is used in several ways (as Noun, Adjective, Verb) preference goes as per VAN rule (Verb>Adjective>Noun)". Is that what you are talking about?

Can you give an example or explain with the help of this question only?

Thank you!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1022 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi, TheNightking,

Yes, i was talking the same what you mentioned above, i.e. Verb>Adjective>Noun, but it's not absolute rule. We can resort on such rule if we could not infer the meaning or if we need to rush to maintain the pace.

I'd like to present some examples expressing VAN rule.

He has the ability to juggle Vs He is able to juggle Vs He can juggle (Last one is more elegent, having verb form).

1) Prefer a Verb to an (Action) Noun.
e.g. His conception of money was as a goal Vs He conceived of money as a goal.
Her example was an inspiration to me Vs Her example inspired me.
2) Prefer a Verb to an Adjective
e.g. The artist WAS INFLUENTIAL TO the movement Vs The artist INFLUENCED the movement.
This rash is aggravating to the pain Vs This rash aggravates the pain.
3) Prefer an Adjective to a Noun
e.g. THERE IS AN ABUNDANCE OF funds for school construction Vs Funds for school construction ARE ABUNDANT.
We have a disinclination to stay Vs We are disinclined to stay.

As action, outgrow their roots..., can refer to the nations and it must be in the verb form.
A) as having outgrown their roots in natural resources, still rely heavily - Here, action outgrow is correctly mentioned in verb form
C) as an outgrowth of their roots in natural resources, still rely heavily - Here, action outgrow is mentioned in noun form.

The similar patterns of VAN rule can be observed in many official questions.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Raxit.
VP
VP
Send PM
Raxit85

While I have applied some of these techniques, I never knew these exist as a rule called VAN.

Thank you for explaining it to me!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts