Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 17:37 It is currently 13 May 2024, 17:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 623502 [3]
Given Kudos: 81851
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1346 [1]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1827 [1]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1043 [1]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Re: Biotechnology companies say that voluntary guideline for their industr [#permalink]
Kudos
The right answer is B.

Premise: Biotechnology companies say that voluntary guidelines for their industry are sufficient to ensure that no harm will result when a genetically altered organism is released into the environment.
Counter-premise: It is foolish, however, to rely on assurances from producers of genetically altered organisms that their products will not be harmful.
Conclusion: Therefore, a biotechnology company should be required to apply to an independent regulatory board composed of scientists outside the biotechnology industry for the right to sell newly created organisms.

From the conclusion of the argument above, the author is of the view that a biotechnology company should not play the role of regulators and determine the right to sell their newly created organisms. If it is indeed unwise to rely on the assurances from producers of genetically altered organisms that their products will not be harmful, then the author must have assumed that the biotechnology companies involved in the production of genetically altered organisms may not be completely honest in their assessments, hence the assurances provided might be skewed in their interests.

Our task is to strengthen the argument above.

(A) Voluntary guidelines are sufficient to regulate activities that pose little danger to the environment. No, this does not strengthen the argument above. This is the position of the biotechnology companies involved in the manufacture of the genetically modified organisms and the argument above countered this position.

(B) People who engage in an activity and have a financial stake in that activity should not be the sole regulators of that activity. This is the correct answer as it is in line with the reasoning provided above on the argument.

(C) Methods that result in harm to the environment must sometimes be used in order to avoid even greater harm. This is irrelevant.

(D) A company is obligated to ensure the effectiveness of its products but not their environmental safety. Incorrect. This position is out of scope because the main crust of the argument is whether the biotechnology companies involved in the production of GMOs should be trusted to assess their own products.

(E) Issues of environmental protection are so important that they should not be left to scientific experts. No. This completely out of scope.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Schools:
GPA: 3.75
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Biotechnology companies say that voluntary guideline for their industr [#permalink]
Stimulus- The biotech companies state that only voluntary guidelines are sufficient to ensure no harmful organisms will be released in the environment. The author states that the company cannot be trusted and an independent body of scientist need to be appointment to assess this

Strongly supports the claim

IMO D

The companies are obligated about the products and not the environment so to ensure that environment is safe we need to appoint independent body

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 511 [1]
Given Kudos: 207
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V21
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Conclusion: there should be a third person to regulate the business not the producers of the product

(B) People who engage in an activity and have a financial stake in that activity should not be the sole regulators of that activity....... clearly supports the conclusion

OA:B

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
(B) People who engage in an activity and have a financial stake in that activity should not be the sole regulators of that activity.

=> Need a third party

=> scientists outside the biotechnology industry for the right to sell newly created organisms.

=>> Choice B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: HEC'22 (J)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
chaitralirr wrote:
Stimulus- The biotech companies state that only voluntary guidelines are sufficient to ensure no harmful organisms will be released in the environment. The author states that the company cannot be trusted and an independent body of scientist need to be appointment to assess this

Strongly supports the claim

IMO D

The companies are obligated about the products and not the environment so to ensure that environment is safe we need to appoint independent body

Hi chaitralirr, nice observation, I missed option D during my first pass and selected option B, but even after carefull consideration of option D. It is not a strengthner but could rather acts as a slight weakner. The option says that "company is obligated to ensure the effectiveness and not safety of the product", and the argument says "biotech companies should be required to apply independent regulatory board". Now, if it is not company responsibility to ensure safety of the product then why should company even bother to hire an independent authority. So this does not strengthen our conclusion.

One technique that has helped me with strengthen/weaken questions is to personalize the argument i.e. how would I respond to author given the argument, and if I see that responding using a particular option author might get back to me again, then that option is usually not the best of the lot.

With option B the argument becomes much more strong than with option D. B basically says that company has financial incentives in it, so we cannot rely on their results, hence independent body should assert the results.

I hope that helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 485 [0]
Given Kudos: 219
Send PM
Hi,

I'm a bit confused here, B/D??

According to be both B,D strengthens the argument and helps the author to provide reasons why an independent regulatory board is required.

I thought B has a broader scope compared to D, In B it generalizes to all the people.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts