Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 15:39 It is currently 03 May 2024, 15:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Sid.

That does help.

So does that mean that the MBA resume should still have an objective title: example:

Objective: To seek an exignent position in XXX, by YYY....ZZZ.

Having as above looks like i am applying for a job, but in reality its just school, so i should not have the objective title?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [3]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Hindustan wrote:
Thanks Sid.

That does help.

So does that mean that the MBA resume should still have an objective title: example:

Having as above looks like i am applying for a job, but in reality its just school, so i should not have the objective title?

No. Also, for hte love of god, don't use the word exigent. It REEKS of thesaurus.

Here is my advice.

Remember a few things.

1) Your objective here is not to get a job, its to get into graduate school.
2) With that in mind, write more about your leadership and less about your day to day tactical responsibilities.
3) Remember that the adcom may not be in your field, so telling him/her that you developed a "bifurcated distilling multi optional drill bit" probably won't mean a thing. Similarly, they are going to care less if you have experience with "C++/Java/COBOL/PASCAL" whatever, again, because it means little to them other than "It's a programming language". Your job title would make it clear you are a developer anyway. Specific skills in this regard aren't going to win you jack.
Focus less on industry terminology and more on selling yourself. For example, lets say you are in the car manufacturing industry, if an interviewer asked you about your role you might say "I developed Ford's double intake valve for us in the RJ392 engine, increasing airflow and fluid viscosity by 22%." Great for the interviewer who knows about that. Bad for the adcom. If someone you never met asked you what you did for Ford, you'd reply: "I developed a modifcation for the engine you probably have in your focus. It reduces the reaction time between you push the pedal and the car snaps forward. Makes it snappier." Good. You are almost there. Now, take that and make it a real improvement as if you wanted to impress. "Developed new engine technology increasing vehicle responsiveness by roughly 22%. My design is now part of every Ford Focus made."

Take the first statement:
"I developed Ford's double intake valve for us in the RJ392 engine, increasing airflow and fluid viscosity by 22%."

And the last:
"Developed new engine technology increasing vehicle responsiveness by roughly 22%. My design is now part of every Ford Focus made."

Same thing right? But what packs more punch?

Lets do the same for computer science for, I don't know, Geico.

"Utilized .NET 2.0 framework to develop new ASP.NET driven customer focused website on a SQL Server 2000 backend."

Yawn.

What do you do for Geico again?

"I developed a new website for their customers to use."

Great, now tell me again what you do for Geico, but impress me.

"Developed new website for global rollout of claims processing at Geico. The website now recieves over a half million visitors a year, is utilized by a staff of over 2,000 global claims officers, and process up to $100M in claims a year. This reduced claim turnaround time from an average of 14 days to 3."

Get it yet?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great post rhyme,

absolutely right in what you said. Most important characteristics of a resume is that it should be clear and specific, Clear so that the adcoms can understand the business, specific so that you point out your achievements, not just give a generic description.

cheers,
sid
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Re: Resume for MBA Admissions [#permalink]
Great post Rhyme - I'm reposting this on August Academy's blog - I'll link back to your GMAT club profile. Please get in touch if you would like to link back to your linkedin profile, etc.

Thanks,
karthik

rhyme wrote:
Hindustan wrote:
Thanks Sid.

That does help.

No. Also, for hte love of god, don't use the word exigent. It REEKS of thesaurus.

Here is my advice.

Remember a few things.

1) Your objective here is not to get a job, its to get into graduate school.
2) With that in mind, write more about your leadership and less about your day to day tactical responsibilities.
3) Remember that the adcom may not be in your field, so telling him/her that you developed a "bifurcated distilling multi optional drill bit" probably won't mean a thing. Similarly, they are going to care less if you have experience with "C++/Java/COBOL/PASCAL" whatever, again, because it means little to them other than "It's a programming language". Your job title would make it clear you are a developer anyway. Specific skills in this regard aren't going to win you jack.
Focus less on industry terminology and more on selling yourself. For example, lets say you are in the car manufacturing industry, if an interviewer asked you about your role you might say "I developed Ford's double intake valve for us in the RJ392 engine, increasing airflow and fluid viscosity by 22%." Great for the interviewer who knows about that. Bad for the adcom. If someone you never met asked you what you did for Ford, you'd reply: "I developed a modifcation for the engine you probably have in your focus. It reduces the reaction time between you push the pedal and the car snaps forward. Makes it snappier." Good. You are almost there. Now, take that and make it a real improvement as if you wanted to impress. "Developed new engine technology increasing vehicle responsiveness by roughly 22%. My design is now part of every Ford Focus made."

Take the first statement:
"I developed Ford's double intake valve for us in the RJ392 engine, increasing airflow and fluid viscosity by 22%."

And the last:
"Developed new engine technology increasing vehicle responsiveness by roughly 22%. My design is now part of every Ford Focus made."

Same thing right? But what packs more punch?

Lets do the same for computer science for, I don't know, Geico.

"Utilized .NET 2.0 framework to develop new ASP.NET driven customer focused website on a SQL Server 2000 backend."

Yawn.

What do you do for Geico again?

"I developed a new website for their customers to use."

Great, now tell me again what you do for Geico, but impress me.

"Developed new website for global rollout of claims processing at Geico. The website now recieves over a half million visitors a year, is utilized by a staff of over 2,000 global claims officers, and process up to $100M in claims a year. This reduced claim turnaround time from an average of 14 days to 3."

Get it yet?
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
All MBA programs require a 1-2 pages resume for MBA in their applications. In many cases this is their first impression of your accomplishments and potential.
For MBA resume tips, requirements and templates visit this page: https://aringo.com/mba-resume-tips-and-requirements/

Remember, your resume is one of the first documents the admissions committee will review. Don’t make the common mistake of submitting a “bare bones” list of responsibilities, or a multiple-page, mini-booklet detailing every project you’ve been a part of. For more tips on how to write great business school resume read this post:
https://aringo.com/hacking-the-mba-appl ... ol-resume/
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot