Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:22 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: MIT Sloan MBA Admissions & Related Blogs [#permalink]
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: The future of work in developing economies – Pablo Egaña del Sol and Connor Joyce
From MIT Sloan Management Review Much has been written about the rise of automation in developed countries. Economists have been busily creating models seeking to quantify the likely impact of automation on employment.1 However, far less has been written about the potential effects on work in developing nations. This is surprising, given that automation may be especially troublesome for developing economies. We know that economic growth brings significant shifts toward higher-skilled occupations and that the economies of many developing nations rely largely on manual labor and routinized manufacturing work. Because some types of manual and routinized work can be easily handled by computers, machinery, and artificial intelligence, it’s clear that large-scale automation could have significant and wide-reaching effects on workers in developing countries. We wanted to get a more detailed understanding of how automation might affect developing economies compared with those of the developed world. To do this, we examined a … Read More »

The post The future of work in developing economies – Pablo Egaña del Sol and Connor Joyce appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM LGO Students Blog: Black History Month Feature

Why LGO?I love operations, and I always wanted to become the leader who makes the difference in people’s lives. I saw LGO as the best place where I could equip myself with the tools to become a better leader. MIT LGO was not only the place where I expanded my knowledge in operations, but it was also a place where I felt super blessed for being able to share times with a group of amazing, talented and supportive classmates. Trust me, I was not taking anything for granted.
What advice or resources would you recommend for interested LGO prospectives and applicants?So, the advice that I have for you, prospective applicant, would be that if you are ready to let your light shine so that others can see you as a model of excellence, if you want to fulfill your dream so that others can see it as an opportunity to do the same, I strongly recommend that you apply to the MIT LGO program. Don’t let the world around you tell you that it will be impossible for you to get into the school because you are not a perfect candidate. Instead, remind them that a tiny light always overcome darkness, that you will not give up, and that you will find a way to shine. I believe you can do this. I believe in you.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: What machine learning will mean for asset managers – Robert Pozen and Jonathan Ruane
From Harvard Business Review Some industry experts argue that machine learning (ML) will reverse an increasing trend toward passive investment funds. But although ML offers new tools that could help active investors outperform the indexes, it is unclear whether it will deliver a sustainable business model for active asset managers. Let’s start with the positives A form of artificial intelligence, ML enables powerful algorithms to analyze large data sets in order make predictions against defined goals.  Instead of precisely following instructions coded by humans, these algorithms self-adjust through a process of trial and error to produce increasingly more accurate prescriptions as more data comes in. ML is particularly adaptable to securities investing because the insights it garners can be acted on quickly and efficiently. By contrast, when ML generates new insights in other sectors, firms must overcome substantial constraints before putting those insights into action.  For example, when Google develops a self-driving car … Read More »

The post What machine learning will mean for asset managers – Robert Pozen and Jonathan Ruane appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: How payment for order flow helps back-runners sniff out institutional orders – Haoxiang Zhu
When you buy or sell a stock through your brokerage account, it’s likely that your trade is carried out by an electronic wholesale firm. According to Bloomberg, about one in five trades in the U.S. stock market are handled by wholesalers. The wholesalers receive retail orders by paying retail brokers for routing the orders their way. The payment is often a fraction of a cent per share, but it quickly adds up to hundreds of millions of dollars per year for major retail brokers. Payment order flow was conventionally viewed as a retail investor issue, but my research shows that it could lead to severe information leakage on institutional orders. The idea is quite simple. Because wholesalers observe retail order flows, they can figure out institutional order flows by using a simple equation: retail order flow + institutional order flow = total order flow, where total order flow is observable … Read More »

The post How payment for order flow helps back-runners sniff out institutional orders – Haoxiang Zhu appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM LGO Students Blog: Black History Month Feature
[img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/fca6711e6483fda99b90b57bf59a53b0/979195f112e82aa7-ef/s540x810/1e14a40779cfc2224e76058a732cde169a42e304.png[/img]
Why LGO?I chose LGO because the program offers an attractive balance between technical, business, and leadership experiences while surrounded by a great community of people. I want to leverage my engineering background in leading diverse teams to build and deliver transformative technology products. LGO not only provides me with the extensive toolkit needed to be successful in this space, but also welcomes me into the broader LGO family.
What has been your biggest takeaway from your time at MIT?Since starting at MIT, I have come to realize that the journey is more important than the destination. We all are capable of accomplishing monumental goals in our lifetime. However, the paths we take will vary and differ. I am now more intentional about being mentally present each day, and subsequently taking the time to reflect on my experiences.
What are your hopes for diversity in LGO and in industry?I feel strongly about maintaining diversity in LGO so that others who look like me can have this opportunity as well. Diversity brings different perspectives and backgrounds together, which has the power for great discussion and learning. Moving forward, I have three goals for diversity in LGO and industry:
1) Sustained partnerships between LGO and diversity-oriented professional organizations such as MLT, NSBE, SHPE, and SWE.
2) LGO continues to increase the number of diverse protagonists for case-based discussions in the classroom.
3) Companies will prioritize and dedicate resources towards creating inclusive workplace environments
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: How to safeguard against cyberattacks on utilities – Stuart Madnick
From Harvard Business Review Last fall, in Northern California, the United States experienced its first-ever long-lasting and deliberate, large-scale blackout. Fueled by increased fears of devastating fires due to its century-old equipment, the region’s utility companies shut off power to more than 1.5 million people forcing many evacuations. The impact was devastating; Michael Wara, a climate and energy expert at Stanford University, estimated the cost to California as up to $2.5 billion. For cybersecurity experts like myself, the blackout was a signal of just how precarious our reliance on electricity is, and how much we have to fear in cyberattacks. Think about what would happen if a cyberattack brought down the power grid in New York or even just a larger part of the country. As we saw in California, people could manage for a few hours — maybe a few days — but what would happen if the outage lasted for a week … Read More »

The post How to safeguard against cyberattacks on utilities – Stuart Madnick appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: How making an action board could change your life – Tara Swart
From Forbes Making an action board, based on science, changed my life and it can transform yours too. Action boards are the new vision boards because making a collage then sitting on your porch waiting for the checks to roll in is a fantasy. Instead, I believe it’s about using the science of how the brain works to make your dreams come true. If you create an action board, look at it daily and visualize it coming true, this tracks images to your sub-conscious and primes your brain to grasp opportunities that may otherwise have passed you by. Add in doing something each day, no matter how small, to move you towards your goal you’ll be transforming abundance thinking into reality. It took me seven years to get to an action board that seemed to be just perfect for my life and keep me motivated (with a few updates), so patience is … Read More »

The post How making an action board could change your life – Tara Swart appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: The 9 most important cultural values – Donald Sull, Charlie Sull, and Andrew Chamberlain
From the HR People + Strategy Blog. Company culture matters more now than ever. The average employee spends 40 percent of their waking hours at work.  A toxic corporate culture can not only be soul destroying, but it can sink a company. On the other hand, a vibrant culture can help people thrive professionally, enjoy their job, and find meaning in their work. A growing body of research has shown that a good corporate culture can lead to better financial performance, more innovation, and greater customer satisfaction. A recent survey of CEOs and CFOs found that 9 out of 10 believe that improving corporate culture would increase their company’s value, and nearly 80 percent ranked culture among the five most important factors driving their company’s valuation. Companies listed among the best places to work based on their corporate culture delivered nearly 20 percent higher returns to shareholders than comparable companies over a five-year period. … Read More »

The post The 9 most important cultural values – Donald Sull, Charlie Sull, and Andrew Chamberlain appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Learning from many – Jónas Jónasson
From Psychology Today In many operational settings, like in-flight service, police patrols, and ambulance services, teams are fluid. They are assembled for short collaborations and then disbanded. In these settings, is it better for team members to have familiarity with each other or to be exposed to multiple partners? We know from prior studies that there are plenty of benefits of familiarity when it comes to teams. They have improved coordination and shared knowledge about the task at hand. However, we don’t know how these benefits compare with those of being exposed to multiple partners over time. We suspect that exposure to multiple partners would enhance creativity and problem-solving, which would translate to improved operational performance, but it has yet to be measured. In a recent study, my colleagues and I sought to evaluate the performance of both types of teams. We used data from 2011 on ambulance transports from the London … Read More »

The post Learning from many – Jónas Jónasson appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM LGO Students Blog: Women’s History Month Feature

Why LGO?“In my previous job, I had been observing a ‘gap’ between technical and business teams that created obstacles and elongated the process of reaching a goal. When I decided to pursue my passion in environmental sustainability, I realized that I need to master both sides to ‘close the gap’ and expedite real-life implementation for innovative solutions. I believe that the combination of leadership, business management, and technical knowledge that LGO offers will enable me to amplify my impact on the world. Besides, the tightly-knit LGO family is just the best!”
What is the coolest project you’ve been able to work on since coming to MIT and LGO?“Last semester, my team worked with a startup which is growing and supplying pink algae for cattle feed that can reduce cattle’s methane emission by 80%! This semester, I am doing a project on building a product to help Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) patients with their thermoregulation, and a simulation of global carbon cycle - understanding how the Earth’s temperature changes will affect our planet’s carbon inventory and atmospheric carbon dioxide level.”
How have you been able to engage with communities of women at MIT and LGO?“I like to seek out more-experienced female colleagues as “life mentors”. They help me figure things out when I have big life decisions, no matter if it involves academics, personal, or much more. At MIT, we have SWIM (Sloan Woman In Management) and I helped conduct an Ask Me Anything session about “Women In Workplace”, where people create open dialogue. More importantly, in LGO we have Ladies’ Wine and Cheese events! What’s better than aging a friendship over an aging wine ;)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Moving away from carbon, with help from Canada – John Parsons
From Marketplace Several states in the northeast of America have committed to decarbonizing their electricity grids in the next 20 to 30 years, which will likely be a large — and costly — endeavor. But a new study from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology shows parts of New England and New York could transition away from carbon technologies with minimal cost by turning to our neighbor in the north: Quebec, Canada. To help us understand this, we spoke with John Parsons, one of the co-authors of the study. He is a senior lecturer at MIT’s Sloan School of Management and co-director of its CANES Low Carbon Energy Center. Below is an edited transcript of the conversation. Read the full post at Marketplace. John Parsons is a Senior Lecturer at the MIT Sloan School of Management and the CoDirector of MIT’s CANES Low Carbon Energy Center

The post [url=https://mitsloanexperts.mit.edu/moving-away-from-carbon-with-help-from-canada/]Moving away from carbon, with help from Canada – John Parsons[/url] appeared first on [url=https://mitsloanexperts.mit.edu]MIT Sloan Experts[/url].
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: What makes a family business last? – John A. Davis
From Harvard Business Review The performance edge family businesses have over their non-family business counterparts has been explained by their dogged pursuit of operational excellence. Family firms tend to take a long-term view of investments and relationships, stay in ownership control to do things their way, focus on persistent improvement and innovation, develop loyal stakeholder relationships, build key talent in select individuals, carry lower debt, and build greater financial stability. This approach to running a business reflects an Operator’s Mindset. It is informed by specialized knowledge passed down from generation to generation. Those with this mindset attend diligently to all aspects of operations, prizing traditions while constantly tinkering to make improvements; they look for growth opportunities primarily within the industries where their operating abilities shine. This mindset is deeply embedded in the cultures of most family companies and business families: If you want to be important in the company and family, you … Read More »

The post What makes a family business last? – John A. Davis appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM LGO Students Blog: Women’s History Month Feature

Why LGO?After 5 years in consulting I had learned a lot about how to work in teams, communicate, and deliver; I didn’t feel like my work had much impact. I wanted to double down on my Industrial Engineering undergrad degree and transition to a career in operations in a way that would accelerate my career and allow me to see that my work was meaningful. LGO was distinctly appealing to me because in addition to the dual degree element, it had a strong focus on leadership development. The tight knit community and continued opportunities to work learn and practice leadership were a big part of the reason I chose to go to LGO, and I’m so glad I did!
What are you doing post-LGO?I’m currently Vice President of Operations at HelloFresh, and am responsible for our Culinary, Product and Procurement teams. I joined HelloFresh’s Special Operations team in 2016 and have had the opportunity to work up and down the supply chain: leading a fulfillment Center (twice!), scaling our Procurement Operations team, setting up our Supply Chain Analytics team, leading our first ever acquisition and integration of Green Chef, and more. I’ve enjoyed being part of the ops leadership team that took this company public, through several years of massive growth, and delivered a profitable year in 2019!
What has been your biggest takeaway from your time at MIT?I truly appreciate MIT’s motto “mens et manus” - Mind and Hands. Knowledge is nothing if you don’t have practical experience in applying it. At MIT I experienced how practice cements knowledge, and taking the time to reflect after big decisions or events has helped me learn how to be more effective. LGO provided practice not only in its curriculum, but also through the experiences of my other 49 peers - it would take several lifetimes to gather that practice, yet this tight knit community gives me access to them in a matter of minutes (even 4 years after graduating!)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: COVID-19 and Antifragility: 4 key guiding principles and 1 current real-world example
Like everyone else, our world has come to a crashing halt as the COVID-19 situation affects the world. Classes, workshops, reunions and talks I had scheduled not just at MIT but also in Poland, Germany, and France had to be cancelled or completely rethought. Just getting basic essentials of life to keep going were now complicated. How all of this ends, and when it ends (if that is the right term), is not clear at all. What is one to do? As we have discussed for years now, the pace of change is only going to keep increasing. These unusual disruptions should not be considered unusual in our planning process if we are realistic. We don’t know exactly what “normal” will be, but we know it will be something new, and it will come with great speed. We must be antifragile. This is at the core of what we strive … Read More »

The post COVID-19 and Antifragility: 4 key guiding principles and 1 current real-world example appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Coronavirus may finally force businesses to adopt workplaces of the future – Erin Kelly
From Fortune The coronavirus is a terrible public health threat, but there is a hidden upside: It gives us a chance to rethink how work is organized and bring our policies into the 21st century. To protect their workforce, firms are asking people to work at home. Our new research shows that more flexible work policies that give workers more control over when, where, and how they work don’t hurt business performance. Instead, such policies can lead to less stressed, more satisfied employees who are less likely to quit. Today some firms do offer flex schedules, telecommuting, and reduced hours, but too often these arrangements are negotiated individually. An employee has to ask permission. The trouble with the “Mother may I?” model is that these arrangements are exceptions, not the rule; most employees are expected to work at the workplace, even as they are also presumed to be accessible 24/7. Read the full … Read More »

The post Coronavirus may finally force businesses to adopt workplaces of the future – Erin Kelly appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Eight emerging lessons: from coronavirus to climate action – Otto Scharmer
From Medium As 100 million people in Europe are in lockdown, the US seems to be completely unprepared for the tsunami that is about to hit. “We’re about to experience the worst public health disaster since polio,” says Dr Martin Makary, professor at Johns Hopkins University’s Bloomberg School of Public Health. “Don’t believe the numbers when you see, even on our Johns Hopkins website, that 1,600 Americans have the virus. No, that means 1,600 got the test, tested positive. There are probably 25 to 50 people who have the virus for every one person who is confirmed. I think we have between 50,000 and half a million cases right now walking around in the United States.” Having returned to the US from Europe on the last plane before the travel ban kicked in two days ago, I feel as if I have traveled backwards in time. Which is exactly what people … Read More »

The post Eight emerging lessons: from coronavirus to climate action – Otto Scharmer appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: The true heroes of COVID-19 and how they’re filling the void at the top – Deborah Ancona and Kate Isaacs
From The Hill We know a lot about how leaders can launch a nimble response to a fast-moving crisis. They need to do rapid sense-making by convening the best experts to collect and digest emerging data and information. They must be frank and transparent about what they know and don’t know about the situation and communicate clearly and continuously about what they are doing to respond. The best leaders also convey empathy for what their people are experiencing, and extend care and reassurance in uncertain times. Most of all, leaders need to encourage and steer rapid scale innovation. Crises are fast-moving and laden with uncertainty. Decisions must often be made without full information and strategies have to be adapted to quickly changing circumstances. To mount a nimble crisis response, leaders must create the conditions to empower many people everywhere to help solve the problems at hand and push the best … Read More »

The post The true heroes of COVID-19 and how they’re filling the void at the top – Deborah Ancona and Kate Isaacs appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts