GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 04 Apr 2020, 17:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

MIT Sloan MBA Admissions & Related Blogs

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Why We Ask MBA Interviewees for an Additional Essay  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 10:00
FROM Sloan Admissions Blog: Why We Ask MBA Interviewees for an Additional Essay
All MBA interviewees are asked to answer one important question before interviewing at MIT Sloan:

“The mission of the MIT Sloan School of Management is to develop principled, innovative leaders who improve the world and to generate ideas that advance management practice. We believe that a commitment to diversity, inclusion, equity, and well-being is a key component of both principled leadership and sound management practice. In 250 words or less, please describe how you, as a member of the MIT Sloan community, would work to create a campus that is welcoming, inclusive and increasingly diverse.”

I want to shed some light on why we ask this question and what we value in responses.

First, why do we ask this question?

MIT Sloan is a mission-driven school.  In fact, that’s one of my favorite things about working here! MIT Sloan students are smart and collaborative, grounded and inventive. Together, we cherish inclusivity and embrace unique differences because we know that building this culture is critical to fostering world-changing ideas.

Over the years, I have seen how our MIT Sloan culture has been enriched by the incredible diversity of people and ideas coming together in one place. Now, as our Admissions Team builds the next class of MBA students, our goal is to admit students who will complement and contribute to our dynamic culture.

We love talking about our mission – in fact, we will likely bring it up during your interview. This essay gives you time to contemplate the culture you are looking for in a business school and prepare to have a deeper conversation about it when we meet in person for your interview.

Second, what are we looking for in responses?

This question is all about fit. Reading this essay gives our Admissions Committee a unique opportunity to learn more about you, beyond your resume and written application.

We’re looking to find out how your values and goals align with MIT Sloan. We are curious to find out how you articulate your individuality and best characteristics. We love seeing how you have impacted the community and culture of organizations you have been a part of and we look forward to using our interview-time to dive deeper into your responses.

To write an essay that stands out, I recommend learning as much as you can about who we are and what we stand for. Explore our website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, student blogs. Think about what matters to you in communities you have been a part of and how you have chosen to make an impact on people. Show us how you’re already living out the MIT Sloan mission.

Dawna

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Manager
Manager
Should You Apply to the MBA Round 3 Deadline?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 09:00
FROM Sloan Admissions Blog: Should You Apply to the MBA Round 3 Deadline?
Apply by April 9th for your final opportunity to join the MIT Sloan MBA Class of 2020!

When it comes to the MBA Round 3 deadline, the single most common question I hear from applicants is “Should I apply Round 3 or wait until next year?” If this question is on your mind right now, then this post is for you!

My answer to the above question is “If you are now ready to pursue your MBA, it’s not too late! Apply Round 3.” I’ll explain:

Three years ago, we decided to add a Round 3 application deadline for a variety of reasons, one of which was  because we wanted to accommodate applicants who become ready to apply later in the traditional MBA admissions cycle. In fact, we were initially surprised by some of the circumstances that led people to apply later in the year.

For example, we have had some applicants apply in R3 because their companies had recently been bought by larger firms. Because of these unforeseen events, they felt it would be a good time to make professional transitions. Another past Round 3 applicant shared that his department was being eliminated, and so he decided to pursue his MBA earlier than originally planned.

The Round 3 application deadline was designed to give these individuals—whose professional or personal circumstances have unexpectedly changed—an opportunity not to have to wait another year.  So if this sounds like you, and you are now ready to begin your MBA studies next fall, I encourage you to apply!

A few other notes about Round 3:

• Traditionally, Round 3 has our smallest pool of applicants, so this can be a great opportunity for strong candidates to stand out.
  • We do accept applicants in Round 3.
Still have questions or concerns before submitting your application? Send us an email or register for the Online Chat with Admissions on April 4th.

Dawna

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Manager
Manager
What’s Next for Round 3 MBA Applicants?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 06:00
FROM Sloan Admissions Blog: What’s Next for Round 3 MBA Applicants?
Many things make applying Round 3 unique. One of the biggest things: the accelerated timeline. Here are the dates to keep in mind:

Please note, our Admissions Committee will not be traveling for Round 3 interviews, so all interviews will take place on campus in Cambridge.

The next month will certainly be a whirlwind, so here are some ways you can prepare:

• Read my recent blog post about the MBA pre-interview essay question
  • Check out my interview tips video on YouTube
  • Brainstorm the questions you plan to ask us about MIT Sloan
  • Brace yourself for an exciting few weeks!
Good luck!

Dawna

MBA Admissions Consultant
P
Reviews Badge
Re: MIT Sloan MBA Admissions & Related Blogs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2018, 06:12
Hi everyone,
You can read an interview we had with Dawna Levenson, Director at the Office of Admissions of MIT Sloan‘s Full time MBA program, here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/aringo-inter ... 67331.html

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/
Manager
Manager
A PhD or a SM/MBA?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2019, 21:57
FROM MIT Sloan Students Blog: A PhD or a SM/MBA?
Every year LGO looks for the best and brightest engineers, scientists, and innovators to come in and become change makers in their field. Many times our prospective students and admits are weighing different options before saying YES to LGO. Read more from LGO 2021, Angela Murray, on her decision-making process between a PhD and the SM/MBA with LGO.
By Angela Murray, LGO 2021
Hello there! My name is Angela Murray and I am a new MIT Aero/Astro student in the LGO Class of 2021. Prior to LGO, I was working in the commercial avionics industry in LA as a software engineering manager. I really enjoyed working in industry but after 7 years I had reached a point where I wanted to take on a completely new kind of challenge and wanted to realign with my passions by pivoting to the space sector. When I started looking at graduate programs, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to deepen my technical knowledge by entering a PhD program or if I wanted to continue down the management path I had more recently embarked on. I began my research with MBA programs since that was less intimidating than the 5-6 year commitment of a PhD. I was intrigued by some of the top business programs but I feared I would not feel comfortable completely walking away from the technical side, so I began to re-entertain a long-ago plan to get a PhD in Astrodynamics. I delved further into research, talking to former professors, connecting with engineers in mission design at NASA’s JPL facility, and setting up calls with former classmates working at commercial satellite companies in both technical roles and business roles.
About a month into my exploration, I learned about the Leader for Global Operations (LGO) program by chance from a friend who had just visited Boston. I was really intrigued by the idea of working toward a masters in aeronautical/astronautical engineering and an MBA in parallel, especially from a university as prestigious as MIT. I began theapplication processfor both LGO and PhD programs, asking for letters of recommendation, and working on essays and statements of purpose. At the time, I felt confident I wouldn’t get into any programs, but I was hopeful enough to try anyway. Fast forward a few months, I was lucky enough to get an interview at LGO, where I met some of my current classmates and friends and an interview for a PhD program, where I was really fascinated by the research being done in Geodesy. Not too long after, I was ecstatic to be offered admissions from both LGO and the research lab I was interested in. The next several months were torturous for me as I tried to decide which program offer to accept (although I was very aware of the fortunate position I sat in). Shortly before the admissions deadline for LGO, I attended the LGO adMIT weekend in Boston for admitted students. I was incredibly impressed by the community of accomplished people that I met and I believed that I was truly surrounded by tomorrow’s leaders. I was so compelled to be a part of this community that this is ultimately what solidified my decision to accept LGO.
It has been an exciting first few weeks of the summer semester packed with classes, workshops, social events, networking activities, and plant tours. Being on campus and connecting with my talented classmates has been a humbling experience but has reassured me that I made the right choice. Transitioning back to academia after 7 years in the work world has certainly been a challenge but being surrounded by this community has been tremendously motivating. One thing we all have in common is our love to learn. Despite being in the same classroom for nearly 7-8 hours some days, you can find almost the whole class in the LGO lounge down the hall after class, working on group projects, asking for help on problem sets, planning social events, and procrastinating case write ups by any means available. Our class of 45 already feels like a family.
My advice to any prospective students going through the graduate school research process is talk to as many current students and alumni as you possibly can. Talking to former, current, and other prospective students was the absolute best way to get a feel for life on campus and it is these people that really make your experience.
Manager
Manager
LGO: Year 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2019, 21:57
FROM MIT Sloan Students Blog: LGO: Year 1
2019 Harrison Smith awardee, LGO ‘20 Nalaka Kahawatte, reflects on his time at LGO before starting his second year!
By Nalaka Kahawatte, LGO 2020
Hi
Everyone! Nalaka here from LGO Class of
Brief
Background:

Growing
up in Sri Lanka, I always dreamed about designing and building flying machines:
airplanes, rockets, etc. I wanted to someday work for an aerospace
company and I feel very fortunate that California State University, Chico gave me
a scholarship that made it possible for me to come to the United States and study
Mechatronics. Afterwards, I got the opportunity to learn more about factory
automation at RobbJack Corporation and while working there, I completed a
Masters in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at University of California,
Davis.
Before LGO, I
contributed to the NMA and 787 programs as a Lead Engineer and 737MAX as a
Controls Engineer, and served as an Acting Engineering Manager at The Boeing Company. It
was really exciting and rewarding to work with a team of computational fluid
dynamics, thermal analysis and ice protection experts who supported multiple
development programs: 777X, KC-46 Pegasus Multirole tanker, VC-25B presidential
aircraft, etc.
LGO
Experience:

LGO
has been an incredible experience so far! During the first summer, even though
it was academically intense, I got the chance to bond with my fellow LGO
classmates. It is awesome to be surrounded by such an accomplished, passionate,
brilliant, and yet down-to-earth, group of people. They have constantly challenged
my perspective and inspired me to get out of my comfort zone and grow as a
leader. During the MBA Core, I also had the chance to bond with all my Sloan classmates
as the Chant Leader for my Ocean (CARIIIIBBEANS!!), which was a lot of fun.
My
main engineering focus area is Supply Chain (within Civil Engineering) and, from the
business-side, I love diving deep into the areas of Competitive Strategy,
Economics, and Lean Operations. I am wrapping up my internship with
the partner company Maschinenfabrik Reinhausen (MR) in Regensburg, Germany,
where I focused primarily on business models for electrical power transformer
monitoring tools.
Living
and working in Germany as part of my internship has been a transformative
experience. I loved working with the brilliant Venture Architects team at MR
and learning the German language (which is not as easy as I thought, by the
way), culture, and history. Every weekend, my family and I explored different beautiful
areas in Bavaria and neighboring countries like Austria, Switzerland and Czech
Republic.
Balancing
LGO with Family Life:

My
lovely wife is Taniya and we have an amazing two-year old, Ayla. We love
spending time with Ayla and she brings us so much joy into our lives. She’s full
of energy and she loves exploring. She also loves numbers, the alphabet, jigsaw
puzzles and…elevators!  Everywhere we go
(malls, museums, etc.), we end up spending at least 15 minutes going up and
down the elevator while she keeps yelling out the numbers of each floor.
Coming
to LGO with a 10-month old baby, I was nervous at first. But the incredible
support from my amazing wife makes it all possible. During the semester,
I start my day early and get to school around 6AM. That gives me plenty of time
to focus on the preparation for classes that day. Between and after class, I spend time on homework and call it a day around 6pm. I
try to maintain the same schedule on Fridays even though we don’t have
classes. My LGO and MBA teammates have
been very accommodating, and we do not schedule any meetings outside of these
hours.
This
structure has helped me not worry about schoolwork and be fully present when I
am at home during the evenings and weekends. You will also learn a lot of Lean
tools that can be used to increase productivity not only in Business Operations
but also in your personal life.
Housing:

We
lived on-campus for the first semester and it was a very pleasant experience.
Westgate complex has a large play area that my daughter and I
loved spending almost every evening in. It is also nice that the main
recreational facilities (Zesiger Sports and Fitness Center, soccer fields,
track, etc.) are nearby and we are excited to take Ayla to swim lessons offered
by MIT Recreation during the weekends. There is also an added benefit of
on-campus housing when it comes to internship logistics: no penalty
for moving out if you choose to do a February-start internship outside of
Boston. We will be moving back to Westgate after the internship.
Best
Advice I Received:

The
Boeing Company has an incredible network of LGO alumni and many of them
provided valuable advice and insights throughout the process of applying. (Shout out to
Laura Bogusch, Adam Marshall, Tom Sanderson, Brandon Gorang and Guillermo
Pamanes!). One common piece of advice from all of them was: “It will be the best and
most transformative two years of your life, so soak it all in and make the most
of every minute, hour, and day!”
It
can be nerve-wracking to go back to school full time for two degrees plus an
internship in two years, especially if you have to uproot your family and move
to Boston. At times, it may seem overwhelming logistically. It was for me.
But know
that it will be the best investment you can make in yourself and your family. Take
one step at a time and also know that you have an incredible support system
here at MIT who will be there for you each step of the way.

I am super excited to go back to The Boeing Company after graduation to help design and build innovative products that Connect, Protect, Explore, and Inspire the world!
If
you have any questions about the LGO program, please feel free to reach out
anytime: naka@mit.edu.
Onwards,

Nalaka
Manager
Manager
What were you doing before LGO?“Prior to LGO, I worked in consul  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2019, 05:00
FROM MIT Sloan Students Blog: What were you doing before LGO?“Prior to LGO, I worked in consulting for ~4 years at Boston...
What were you doing before LGO?“Prior to LGO, I worked in consulting for ~4 years at Boston Consulting Group in both the Chicago and Berlin offices. I worked in a variety of industries including Retail and Industrial Goods, focusing primarily on projects related to supply chain and advanced analytics.”
Why did you decide on LGO?“I was originally drawn to LGO based on my interest in solving complex operational problems that companies were facing and translating the results into actionable business recommendations. LGO offered a unique opportunity to develop my knowledge base and skill set in both engineering and business at an institution that was world-renowned in both disciplines. However, the non-academic aspect of LGO was equally as appealing to me. Once I visited campus and saw the tight-knit community that the class of ~50 students had developed, I was convinced that LGO was the right place for me.”
What are you looking forward to doing while at MIT?“I’m most looking forward to getting to know my other classmates and becoming friends with all of the talented and interesting people that are part of LGO, Sloan, and the broader MIT community. In addition, I’m looking forward to learning from professors who are leaders in their respective fields and are at the forefront of cutting edge research. MIT has so many exciting opportunities, and I can’t wait to take advantage of them over these next two years.”
Manager
Manager
LGO: Year 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2019, 22:33
FROM LGO Students Blog: LGO: Year 1
2019 Harrison Smith awardee, LGO ‘20 Nalaka Kahawatte, reflects on his time at LGO before starting his second year!
By Nalaka Kahawatte, LGO 2020
Hi
Everyone! Nalaka here from LGO Class of
Brief
Background:

Growing
up in Sri Lanka, I always dreamed about designing and building flying machines:
airplanes, rockets, etc. I wanted to someday work for an aerospace
company and I feel very fortunate that California State University, Chico gave me
a scholarship that made it possible for me to come to the United States and study
Mechatronics. Afterwards, I got the opportunity to learn more about factory
automation at RobbJack Corporation and while working there, I completed a
Masters in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at University of California,
Davis.
Before LGO, I
contributed to the NMA and 787 programs as a Lead Engineer and 737MAX as a
Controls Engineer, and served as an Acting Engineering Manager at The Boeing Company. It
was really exciting and rewarding to work with a team of computational fluid
dynamics, thermal analysis and ice protection experts who supported multiple
development programs: 777X, KC-46 Pegasus Multirole tanker, VC-25B presidential
aircraft, etc.
LGO
Experience:

LGO
has been an incredible experience so far! During the first summer, even though
it was academically intense, I got the chance to bond with my fellow LGO
classmates. It is awesome to be surrounded by such an accomplished, passionate,
brilliant, and yet down-to-earth, group of people. They have constantly challenged
my perspective and inspired me to get out of my comfort zone and grow as a
leader. During the MBA Core, I also had the chance to bond with all my Sloan classmates
as the Chant Leader for my Ocean (CARIIIIBBEANS!!), which was a lot of fun.
My
main engineering focus area is Supply Chain (within Civil Engineering) and, from the
business-side, I love diving deep into the areas of Competitive Strategy,
Economics, and Lean Operations. I am wrapping up my internship with
the partner company Maschinenfabrik Reinhausen (MR) in Regensburg, Germany,
where I focused primarily on business models for electrical power transformer
monitoring tools.
Living
and working in Germany as part of my internship has been a transformative
experience. I loved working with the brilliant Venture Architects team at MR
and learning the German language (which is not as easy as I thought, by the
way), culture, and history. Every weekend, my family and I explored different beautiful
areas in Bavaria and neighboring countries like Austria, Switzerland and Czech
Republic.
Balancing
LGO with Family Life:

My
lovely wife is Taniya and we have an amazing two-year old, Ayla. We love
spending time with Ayla and she brings us so much joy into our lives. She’s full
of energy and she loves exploring. She also loves numbers, the alphabet, jigsaw
puzzles and…elevators!  Everywhere we go
(malls, museums, etc.), we end up spending at least 15 minutes going up and
down the elevator while she keeps yelling out the numbers of each floor.
Coming
to LGO with a 10-month old baby, I was nervous at first. But the incredible
support from my amazing wife makes it all possible. During the semester,
I start my day early and get to school around 6AM. That gives me plenty of time
to focus on the preparation for classes that day. Between and after class, I spend time on homework and call it a day around 6pm. I
try to maintain the same schedule on Fridays even though we don’t have
classes. My LGO and MBA teammates have
been very accommodating, and we do not schedule any meetings outside of these
hours.
This
structure has helped me not worry about schoolwork and be fully present when I
am at home during the evenings and weekends. You will also learn a lot of Lean
tools that can be used to increase productivity not only in Business Operations
but also in your personal life.
Housing:

We
lived on-campus for the first semester and it was a very pleasant experience.
Westgate complex has a large play area that my daughter and I
loved spending almost every evening in. It is also nice that the main
recreational facilities (Zesiger Sports and Fitness Center, soccer fields,
track, etc.) are nearby and we are excited to take Ayla to swim lessons offered
by MIT Recreation during the weekends. There is also an added benefit of
on-campus housing when it comes to internship logistics: no penalty
for moving out if you choose to do a February-start internship outside of
Boston. We will be moving back to Westgate after the internship.
Best
Advice I Received:

The
Boeing Company has an incredible network of LGO alumni and many of them
provided valuable advice and insights throughout the process of applying. (Shout out to
Laura Bogusch, Adam Marshall, Tom Sanderson, Brandon Gorang and Guillermo
Pamanes!). One common piece of advice from all of them was: “It will be the best and
most transformative two years of your life, so soak it all in and make the most
of every minute, hour, and day!”
It
can be nerve-wracking to go back to school full time for two degrees plus an
internship in two years, especially if you have to uproot your family and move
to Boston. At times, it may seem overwhelming logistically. It was for me.
But know
that it will be the best investment you can make in yourself and your family. Take
one step at a time and also know that you have an incredible support system
here at MIT who will be there for you each step of the way.

I am super excited to go back to The Boeing Company after graduation to help design and build innovative products that Connect, Protect, Explore, and Inspire the world!
If
you have any questions about the LGO program, please feel free to reach out
anytime: naka@mit.edu.
Onwards,

Nalaka
Manager
Manager
What were you doing before LGO?“Prior to LGO, I worked in consul  [#permalink]

Show Tags

FROM LGO Students Blog: What were you doing before LGO?“Prior to LGO, I worked in consulting for ~4 years at Boston...
What were you doing before LGO?“Prior to LGO, I worked in consulting for ~4 years at Boston Consulting Group in both the Chicago and Berlin offices. I worked in a variety of industries including Retail and Industrial Goods, focusing primarily on projects related to supply chain and advanced analytics.”
Why did you decide on LGO?“I was originally drawn to LGO based on my interest in solving complex operational problems that companies were facing and translating the results into actionable business recommendations. LGO offered a unique opportunity to develop my knowledge base and skill set in both engineering and business at an institution that was world-renowned in both disciplines. However, the non-academic aspect of LGO was equally as appealing to me. Once I visited campus and saw the tight-knit community that the class of ~50 students had developed, I was convinced that LGO was the right place for me.”
What are you looking forward to doing while at MIT?“I’m most looking forward to getting to know my other classmates and becoming friends with all of the talented and interesting people that are part of LGO, Sloan, and the broader MIT community. In addition, I’m looking forward to learning from professors who are leaders in their respective fields and are at the forefront of cutting edge research. MIT has so many exciting opportunities, and I can’t wait to take advantage of them over these next two years.”
Manager
Manager
How digital health tools can help transform healthcare – Joseph Doyle   [#permalink]

Show Tags

FROM Sloan Experts Blog: How digital health tools can help transform healthcare – Joseph Doyle and Sarah Reimer
From Health Data Management A coming wave of digital health tools has the potential to transform how and where healthcare is provided. Using information from a patient’s medical record—including lab results, provider notes and images, such as CT scans—along with genomic data, prior insurance claims and environmental information, machine learning algorithms can substantially improve diagnostic testing. They can also support decision-making tools for providers to improve guideline adherence. The tools’ success is not a given, however. They must first gain the trust of patients, providers and payers. In addition, the tools must not prompt alert fatigue. If providers are flooded with warnings and advice, they may become desensitized and tune out the information. This coming wave provides a golden opportunity to overcome both hurdles—smart piloting of the new tools. By systematically introducing these digital health tools, we learn what works and what doesn’t. Randomized trials do not need to be … Read More »

The post How digital health tools can help transform healthcare – Joseph Doyle and Sarah Reimer appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Join the #DesignedforDigital Twitter Chat on October 8 to learn how to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Join the #DesignedforDigital Twitter Chat on October 8 to learn how to propel your business into the digital world
Many established companies have deployed such digital technologies as the cloud, mobile apps, the internet of things, and artificial intelligence. But few established companies are designed for digital. MIT Sloan Experts will join the authors of Designed for Digital: How to Architect Your Business for Sustained Success for a Twitter Chat on October 8 at 1 p.m. ET. During the chat, authors Jeanne Ross, Cynthia Beath and Martin Mocker will discuss how organizations can retool their practices for digital success.  Designed for Digital argues that business strategies must be fluid to adapt to the rapid pace of change in technology capabilities and customer desires. Business design has become a critical management responsibility. Effective business design enables a company to quickly pivot in response to new competitive threats and opportunities. Most leaders today, however, rely on organizational structure to implement strategy, unaware that structure inhibits, rather than enables, agility. In companies that are designed … Read More »

The post Join the #DesignedforDigital Twitter Chat on October 8 to learn how to propel your business into the digital world appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Starting a new job? How frameworks from MIT helped tackle challenges f  [#permalink]

Show Tags

FROM Sloan Executive Insights Blog: Starting a new job? How frameworks from MIT helped tackle challenges from day one
The post Starting a new job? How frameworks from MIT helped tackle challenges from day one appeared first on MIT Executive MBA.
Manager
Manager
How the MIT EMBA program challenges students to become better leaders  [#permalink]

Show Tags

FROM Sloan Executive Insights Blog: How the MIT EMBA program challenges students to become better leaders
The post How the MIT EMBA program challenges students to become better leaders appeared first on MIT Executive MBA.
Manager
Manager
Will consumers pay for responsible supply chains? – Tim Kraft, Karen Z  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2019, 06:02
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Will consumers pay for responsible supply chains? – Tim Kraft, Karen Zheng
From SupplyChainBrain Do consumers place a monetary value on supply-chain visibility? Are they willing to pay more for a product that is “socially responsible”? A new study led by two professors at the MIT Sloan School of Management suggests that the answer is yes – at least to a point. Tim Kraft, visiting assistant professor of operations management, and Karen Zheng, associate professor of operations management, set up a “behavioral lab” that mimicked the dynamics of a real-world supply chain. It consisted of a three-player game, with participants playing the roles of consumer, seller and worker. The experiment examined whether a consumer is willing to pay more for a given product if the seller provides visibility into its treatment of factory workers. The decisions of all players directly impacted their ultimate payments. So how much of a premium did the “consumers” agree to pay for products of the socially responsible “seller”? How … Read More »

The post Will consumers pay for responsible supply chains? – Tim Kraft, Karen Zheng appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Necessity vs. innovation-based entrepreneurs – Trish Cotter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2019, 05:03
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Necessity vs. innovation-based entrepreneurs – Trish Cotter
From Xconomy What makes someone an entrepreneur? Most simply defined, an entrepreneur is a person who identifies a need and starts a business to fill that void. But others will argue that a “true” entrepreneur must come up with an innovative new product or service and then operates their business to sell and profit from that innovation. Under the broader definition are those people who become entrepreneurs out of necessity – starting their own business after losing a job, to supplement their income, or to gain the flexibility to attend to other demands in their lives. Take Joanne, for example. Joanne started her holistic health business about eight years ago. Although she doesn’t necessarily consider herself an entrepreneur, the necessity of a family member’s health situation created both a challenge and an opportunity that shifted her path of employment. As a graduate of Boston University with a degree in math, and … Read More »

The post Necessity vs. innovation-based entrepreneurs – Trish Cotter appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
What the NBA gets wrong about lottery pick protections – Paul Michelma  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2019, 06:02
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: What the NBA gets wrong about lottery pick protections – Paul Michelman and Ben Shields
Excerpt from MIT Sloan Management Review In this episode, we take a closer look at the value of pick protections in the NBA draft — and how your favorite NBA just might be doing it all wrong. The NBA draft is all about value: Just a couple of selections higher or lower could be the difference between a franchise-altering superstar or another half-dozen seasons selecting in the lottery. But when it comes time to move these assets around, value sometimes gets thrown out of the window, and teams make deals involving pick protections they later regret. To help us understand why — and to chart a better strategy for pick protections — we speak with Ben Foster who presented his and Michael Binns’s research on valuing protections of NBA draft picks at the 2019 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference. Listen to the full podcast here. Ben Shields is a Senior Lecturer in … Read More »

The post What the NBA gets wrong about lottery pick protections – Paul Michelman and Ben Shields appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
The internet of (wonderful and scary) things – Mohammad Jalali  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2019, 06:02
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: The internet of (wonderful and scary) things – Mohammad Jalali
From MIT Sloan Management Review  How cybersecurity can affect the market for smart products. Smart devices, once relegated to science fiction and our imaginations, are now ubiquitous. Today, there’s a market for everything from a Wi-Fi connected refrigerator to a voice-operated speakerthat doubles as a personal assistant. The internet of things (IoT) — the software-operated network of physical devices, appliances, vehicles — grows day by day as these devices become part of our daily lives. A March 2018 survey found that 22% of Americans used IoT appliances in their homes, and this trend is widespread across the globe. Amazon recently announced a plan to expand Amazon Echo services to Italy and Spain. For consumers, the concept of easily operated, highly adaptable products is great. Smart devices are convenient, useful, and fun. However, many people remain skeptical or anxious about this level of connectivity. News of products leaking private information or being remotely hacked has led customers to fear … Read More »

The post The internet of (wonderful and scary) things – Mohammad Jalali appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Vertical literacy: reimagining the 21st-century university – Otto Scha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2019, 05:02
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Vertical literacy: reimagining the 21st-century university – Otto Scharmer
From Medium The Fridays For Future (FFF) climate strike by high school students may well be one of the most important, yet hardly covered stories by the US media today. During the week of March 15th alone, 1.6 million strikers were counted across 125 countries. This environmental movement to reduce carbon emissions was started by Swedish teenager Greta Thunberg in late 2018. In the meantime, a discussion has ensued among politicians in Germany about whether it is the right thing for students to take to the streets instead of the classroom on Fridays. The principles below weigh in on this conversation from a bigger picture view: how to “update” the world’s educational system, particularly the university, to tackle the technological, environmental, and social disruptions of the 21st century. See figure 1. The classical university was based on the unity of research and teaching; the modern university has been based on the unity of research, … Read More »

The post Vertical literacy: reimagining the 21st-century university – Otto Scharmer appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Transportation apps: How SP and NY deal with impacts – Jason Jackson  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2019, 12:02
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Transportation apps: How SP and NY deal with impacts – Jason Jackson
From NEXO Professor Jason Jackson spoke at the MIT Sloan Latin American conference, “The Future of Work,” held on August 29, 2019 in São Paulo, Brazil. Transportation apps like Uber and Lyft are rapidly transforming the market into cities around the world. But there are still debates about the social costs and benefits of the digital mobility revolution. On the plus side, these apps – including Grab in Singapore; Hello in India, Bolt (formerly Taxify), based in Estonia; and 99 in Brazil – made it convenient to move around cities, at least for those who can afford it. They also opened new income generating opportunities for potential drivers. But these apps also raise numerous questions. For workers, there is no guarantee that they will receive a decent wage. This is important since in major cities such as São Paulo and New York, most drivers work full time. These professionals must … Read More »

The post Transportation apps: How SP and NY deal with impacts – Jason Jackson appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Tune into #TheSourceBook Twitter Chat on October 21 to learn how neuro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2019, 10:02
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Tune into #TheSourceBook Twitter Chat on October 21 to learn how neuroscience can help you reach your full potential
  Dr. Tara Swart, psychiatrist, neuroscientist, and senior lecturer at MIT Sloan School of Management will discuss her latest book, The Source, during the next #MITSloanExperts Twitter chat on October 21 at 12 p.m. ET. Our host, Kelly Hoey, will discuss with Dr. Swart how the ancient tools of manifestation and visualization, combined with the latest breakthroughs in neuroscience, can free us of self-limiting behaviors and propel us toward our truest, most authentic selves. Dr. Swart will describe her own journey from skeptic to believer and share the scientific breakthroughs and personal revelations that changed her from an unhappy, close-minded, and disconnected woman wanting more from life, to a successful entrepreneur living with confidence, purpose, and joy. Tune into #TheSourceBook Twitter chat on October 21 at 12 p.m. ET to discover a rigorous, proven toolkit for unlocking our minds—and reaching our fullest potential. Use #TheSourceBook and #MITSloanExperts to follow the conversation, … Read More »

The post Tune into #TheSourceBook Twitter Chat on October 21 to learn how neuroscience can help you reach your full potential appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
GMAT Club Bot
Tune into #TheSourceBook Twitter Chat on October 21 to learn how neuro   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2019, 10:02

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 105 posts ] 

MIT Sloan MBA Admissions & Related Blogs

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Businessconquerer