GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2019, 23:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

MIT Sloan MBA Admissions & Related Blogs

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Christian Catalini: “Breaking Down Facebook’s Libra Cryptocurrency”, W  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2019, 08:02
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Christian Catalini: “Breaking Down Facebook’s Libra Cryptocurrency”, WATCH LIVE Nov. 7, 12 pm ET
We hope you’ll tune in to the next installment of the MIT Sloan Experts Series Join us on November 7 at 12 noon ET for a live conversation with Christian Catalini, co-creator of Libra, Facebook’s cryptocurrency initiative, and the Head Economist at Calibra, the Facebook subsidiary in charge of the launch. Catalini, a professor at the MIT Sloan School (on leave) and an expert in blockchain, will explain how Libra works, how you will be able to use it once it goes live,  and what Calibra is doing to address issues around privacy and security. Michael Cusumano, Professor of Management at MIT Sloan and co-author of the book, The Business of Platforms: Strategy in the Age of Digital Competition, Innovation, and Power, among others, will weigh in on the political and regulatory challenges that Libra faces. You will be able to view the live show by bookmarking this page and tuning … Read More »

The post Christian Catalini: “Breaking Down Facebook’s Libra Cryptocurrency”, WATCH LIVE Nov. 7, 12 pm ET appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Manager
Manager
Why great leaders focus on mastering relationships – Douglas A. Ready  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2019, 07:03
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Why great leaders focus on mastering relationships – Douglas A. Ready
From MIT Sloan Management Review Great leaders are distinguished by their ability to master personal relationships. “Without mastering collaborative relationships, both inside and outside the company, we won’t produce the outcomes needed to win our customers’ business.” — Lori Beer, chief information officer, JPMorgan Chase Mastering personal relationships that build trust and create a collaborative work environment is central to leadership effectiveness in the digital economy. This skill set distinguishes great leaders from merely good ones, based on my interviews with C-suite executives in companies around the world. In a digital business environment, great leaders are those who appreciate and understand the power of technology and analytics. But that alone is insufficient. They must also have the skills and mindsets to bring together people from diverse businesses and functions to deliver superior customer outcomes. As Lori Beer, CIO at JPMorgan Chase, says: “We don’t need everybody to know how to … Read More »

The post Why great leaders focus on mastering relationships – Douglas A. Ready appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Manager
Manager
The battle over the driving experience is heating up and will be won i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2019, 12:02
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: The battle over the driving experience is heating up and will be won in software – Lou Shipley
From TechCrunch  Sirius XM’s recent all-stock $3.5-billion purchase of the music-streaming service Pandora  raised a lot of eyebrows. A big question was why Sirius paid so much. Is Pandora’s music library and customer base really worth that amount? The answer is that this was a strategic move by Sirius in a battle that is far bigger than radio. The real battle, which will become much more visible in the coming years, is over the driving experience. People spend a lot of time commuting in their cars. That time is fixed and won’t likely change. However, what is changing is the way we drive. We’re already seeing many new cars with driver-assist features, and automakers (and tech companies) are working hard to bring fully autonomous cars to the market as quickly as possible. New cars today already contain an average of 100 million lines of code that can be updated to increase driver-assist … Read More »

The post The battle over the driving experience is heating up and will be won in software – Lou Shipley appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
How Do You Make Decisions Under Uncertainty?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2019, 13:02
FROM Sloan Executive Insights Blog: How Do You Make Decisions Under Uncertainty?
The post How Do You Make Decisions Under Uncertainty? appeared first on MIT Executive MBA.
Manager
Manager
Are you ‘virtue signaling’? – David Rand, Jillian Jordan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2019, 10:02
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Are you ‘virtue signaling’? – David Rand, Jillian Jordan
From The New York Times  Expressions of moral outrage are playing a prominent role in contemporary debates about issues like sexual assault, immigration and police brutality. In response, there have been criticisms of expressions of outrage as mere “virtue signaling” — feigned righteousness intended to make the speaker appear superior by condemning others. Clearly, feigned righteousness exists. We can all think of cases where people simulated or exaggerated feelings of outrage because they had a strategic reason to do so. Politicians on the campaign trail, for example, are frequent offenders. So it may seem reasonable to ask, whenever someone is expressing indignation, “Is she genuinely outraged or just virtue signaling?” But in many cases this question is misguided, for the answer is often “both.” You may not realize it, but distinguishing between genuine and strategic expressions of indignation assumes a particular scientific theory: namely, that there are two separable psychological … Read More »

The post Are you ‘virtue signaling’? – David Rand, Jillian Jordan appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
What were you doing before LGO? “Before LGO, I was working in in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2019, 05:02
FROM LGO Students Blog: What were you doing before LGO? “Before LGO, I was working in international relief and...
What were you doing before LGO? “Before LGO, I was working in international relief and development, advising on the technical design of water and sanitation projects, supporting disaster relief efforts, facilitating knowledge sharing among country offices, and building field staff capacity.”
Why did you decide on LGO? “Over the course of 7+ years in the field, I had carried both managerial and technical responsibilities, and I wanted to grow in both areas. I loved the intentionality with which LGO integrated these two competencies, and I was drawn to the practical, hands-on, collaborative nature of the program.”
What are you looking forward to doing while at MIT? “While at MIT, I’m excited to connect with like-minded leaders and innovators via the Humanitarian Supply Chain Lab, D-Lab, or Water Club. I’m also looking forward to taking unique classes offered by some pretty impressive faculty.”
Manager
Manager
Greta, CEOs join Global GoalsCast to save the planet – John Sterman, M  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2019, 09:02
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Greta, CEOs join Global GoalsCast to save the planet – John Sterman, Max Boykoff, Bradley Tusk, Laura Gitman, and Gillian Tett
From Global GoalsCast Is the zeitgeist shifting toward action to curb global warming and achieve the Sustainable Development Goals? Veteran Financial Times journalist Gillian Tett joins Edie Lush and Claudia Romo Edelman to consider that question in the aftermath of the United Nation’s climate summit and General Assembly. While the actions of governments were disappointing, they see a new attitude among many businesses, who were far more engaged in UN activity this year. “The balance of risks in the eyes of many business executives have shifted,” says Tett. Many executives now think it is “riskier to stand on the sidelines and do nothing than to actually be involved in some of these social and climate change movements,” Tett reports. The challenge now is not whether to act but how. Edie completes her visit with Professor John Sterman at MIT, whose En-Roads computer model of the climate lets Edie identify policy actions … Read More »

The post Greta, CEOs join Global GoalsCast to save the planet – John Sterman, Max Boykoff, Bradley Tusk, Laura Gitman, and Gillian Tett appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
What AI will do to corporate hierarchies – Thomas Malone  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2019, 09:02
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: What AI will do to corporate hierarchies – Thomas Malone
From The Wall Street Journal  Ask people about artificial intelligence, and the discussion will most often turn to jobs: which ones will be eliminated and which ones will be created. But regardless of what happens to the number of jobs, there’s another question that is less often discussed but crucial for maximizing both productivity and employee morale: How is AI likely to change the structure of business hierarchies themselves? The obvious answer may be that the management structure is likely to get more centralized and rigid. After all, AI will help managers track more detailed data about everything their subordinates are doing, which should make it easier—and more inviting—to exercise stricter controls. This will no doubt be true in some cases. But look more closely, and I believe the opposite is much more likely to happen in many cases. That’s because when AI does the routine tasks, much of the remaining nonroutine … Read More »

The post What AI will do to corporate hierarchies – Thomas Malone appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Homelessness and the high cost of living – Christos Makridis  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2019, 08:03
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Homelessness and the high cost of living – Christos Makridis
From The Hill The recent spotlight on homelessness and poverty in Baltimore, Los Angeles and other major cities highlights a growing challenge in urban America: the rising cost of living. The economy is booming by nearly all accounts. Year-to-year real GDP growth has been at least 2 percent since President Trump was elected, the unemployment rate is at its lowest point since 1969 and year-to-year nominal wages are growing faster than they have since the 2008-09 Great Recession. But a handful of metropolitan areas are experiencing growing rates of homelessness and labor market exits. For example, California’s population growth in 2018 was the slowest in recorded history. And, while the overall number of homeless people is at its lowest point since 2007, according to the latest statistics from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), the number of unsheltered people has grown from 175,399 in 2014 to 194,467 in 2018. While many factors contribute to these recent trends, economists have reached … Read More »

The post Homelessness and the high cost of living – Christos Makridis appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
New Student Feature  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 07:38
FROM LGO Students Blog: New Student Feature
What were you doing before LGO? “Before LGO, I was working in international relief and development, advising on the technical design of water and sanitation projects, supporting disaster relief efforts, facilitating knowledge sharing among country offices, and building field staff capacity.”
Why did you decide on LGO? “Over the course of 7+ years in the field, I had carried both managerial and technical responsibilities, and I wanted to grow in both areas. I loved the intentionality with which LGO integrated these two competencies, and I was drawn to the practical, hands-on, collaborative nature of the program.”
What are you looking forward to doing while at MIT? “While at MIT, I’m excited to connect with like-minded leaders and innovators via the Humanitarian Supply Chain Lab, D-Lab, or Water Club. I’m also looking forward to taking unique classes offered by some pretty impressive faculty.”
Manager
Manager
New Student Feature  [#permalink]

Show Tags

FROM LGO Students Blog: New Student Feature
What were you doing before LGO?“I spent the last decade in the United States Marine Corps serving as an attack helicopter pilot. When I wasn’t flying, I took on many leadership roles in operations and aircraft maintenance across the globe. At my last duty station, I also got involved in standardizing some of the procedures and cockpit systems to help transition the service to a new aircraft series. By far, my favorite part of the job was the people that I’ve met and learned from along the way.”
Why did you decide on LGO?“I’ve always been at the crossroads of engineering and business. I had a really great engineering experience as an undergraduate that I wanted to continue, and I also wanted to translate the leadership and management skills that I learned in the military to business. The world-class education that MIT offers speaks for itself, but what really drew me to LGO was all the inspiring people that I’ve met from across many different industries. Some are my classmates, some are from partner companies, and many are just visitors. The one thing that they have in common is the goal of making a positive impact on operations, and being part of such a team was the right decision for me.”
What are you looking forward to doing while at MIT?"I am completely aligned with MIT’s motto of Mens et Manus, and there is no other program comparable to LGO when it comes to that. Naturally, I am looking forward to applying what I have learned in class during my internship with one of the partner companies. I am thankful for this opportunity and for my classmates, and I can’t wait for the future!”
Manager
Manager
More than a decade after the start of global financial crisis, we must  [#permalink]

Show Tags

FROM Sloan Experts Blog: More than a decade after the start of global financial crisis, we must reevaluate the Dodd-Frank Act – Laura Kodres
From The Hill Banking rules and regulations are rewritten every few decades, frequently following a crisis. The Great Depression gave rise to the Glass-Steagall Act, which separated investment and commercial banking activities. The Savings and Loan debacle led to significant industry reform, including a “Prompt Corrective Action” rule to close weak banks before their capital is completely depleted. And Black Monday resulted in trading curbs (so-called “circuit breakers”) to prevent panic-selling. Yes, waves of post-crisis regulation are typical and often necessary. But in the aftermath of the most recent global financial crisis, Congress’s regulatory reaction was far bigger than a wave; it was more like a tsunami. The 2,300-plus page Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act made sweeping changes to the financial landscape. It created a consumer protection agency, installed new capital requirements for banks, and reined in poor mortgage practices and risks in over-the-counter derivatives trading. Some of these changes have improved … Read More »

The post More than a decade after the start of global financial crisis, we must reevaluate the Dodd-Frank Act – Laura Kodres appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
With its belt and road projects, China risks falling into the biggest   [#permalink]

Show Tags

FROM Sloan Experts Blog: With its belt and road projects, China risks falling into the biggest debt trap of all – Yasheng Huang
From South China Morning Post Critics often claim China is using its massive Belt and Road Initiative as a form of coercive debt-trap diplomacy to exert control over the countries that join its transnational infrastructure investment scheme. This risk, as Deborah Brautigam of Johns Hopkins University recently noted, is often exaggerated by the media. In fact, the initiative may hold a different kind of risk — for China itself. At the recent belt and road summit in Beijing, Chinese President Xi Jinping seemed to acknowledge the “debt trap” criticism. In his address, Xi said that “building high-quality, sustainable, risk-resistant, reasonably priced, and inclusive infrastructure will help countries to utilise fully their resource endowments”. This is an encouraging signal, as it shows that China has become more aware of the debt implications of the initiative. A study by the Centre for Global Development concluded that eight of the 63 countries taking part … Read More »

The post With its belt and road projects, China risks falling into the biggest debt trap of all – Yasheng Huang appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Communicators with Sinan Aral  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2019, 08:02
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Communicators with Sinan Aral
From C-SPAN MIT Professor Sinan Aral talked about proposals to measure disinformation on social media in order to safeguard elections and democracy. Watch the video at C-SPAN.  Sinan Aral is the David Austin Professor of Management at MIT, where he is a Professor of IT & Marketing, and Professor in the Institute for Data, Systems and Society where he co-leads MIT’s Initiative on the Digital Economy.  

The post Communicators with Sinan Aral appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Learning a Better Way to Make Decisions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2019, 08:02
FROM Sloan Executive Insights Blog: Learning a Better Way to Make Decisions
The post Learning a Better Way to Make Decisions appeared first on MIT Executive MBA.
Manager
Manager
Why hypotheses beat goals – Jeanne Ross  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2019, 10:02
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Why hypotheses beat goals – Jeanne Ross
From MIT Sloan Management Review  Not long ago, it became fashionable to embrace failure as a sign of a company’s willingness to take risks. This trend lost favor as executives recognized that what they wanted was learning, not necessarily failure. Every failure can be attributed to a raft of missteps, and many failures do not automatically contribute to future success. Certainly, if companies want to aggressively pursue learning, they must accept that failures will happen. But the practice of simply setting goals and then being nonchalant if they fail is inadequate. Instead, companies should focus organizational energy on hypothesis generation and testing. Hypotheses force individuals to articulate in advance why they believe a given course of action will succeed. A failure then exposes an incorrect hypothesis — which can more reliably convert into organizational learning. What Exactly Is a Hypothesis? When my son was in second grade, his teacher regularly … Read More »

The post Why hypotheses beat goals – Jeanne Ross appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
In the age of online shopping, don’t count out brick-and-mortar stores  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2019, 11:02
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: In the age of online shopping, don’t count out brick-and-mortar stores – Sharmila Chatterjee
From USA Today As the unofficial start to holiday shopping approaches, retail prognosticators are calling for a holly jolly season for e-commerce—and a less merry one for brick-and-mortar stores. This year, for the first time, American consumers plan to do more of their holiday shopping online than in physical stores, according to PricewaterhouseCoopers. A Deloitte study predicts that customers will spend on average $879 online and $541 in shops. Based on these forecasts, e-commerce appears in prime position to soon dominate the holiday retail landscape. We can kiss goodbye traditional stores. Right? Not so fast. Brick-and-mortar stores are making a comeback. By focusing on customer service, integrated business models, and innovative partnerships, many chains — including Target, Kohl’s, Madewell and Best Buy — are likely to post strong holiday sales. Meanwhile, e-commerce may be in for a reckoning. Signs indicate that the lightning fast delivery speeds customers have come to expect from internet vendors, namely Amazon, are not sustainable. … Read More »

The post In the age of online shopping, don’t count out brick-and-mortar stores – Sharmila Chatterjee appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
The rise of global, superstar firms, sectors and cities – Irving Wlada  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2019, 14:02
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: The rise of global, superstar firms, sectors and cities – Irving Wladawsky-Berger
From The Wall Street Journal In the 1990s, the internet was supposed to usher a much more open, decentralized, democratic economy and society. Startups with innovative business models were now able to reach customers anywhere, anytime. Companies, from the largest to the smallest, could now transact with anyone around the world. Vertically integrated firms became virtual enterprises, increasingly relying on supply chain partners for many of the functions once done in-house. Experts noted that large firms were no longer necessary and would in fact be at a disadvantage in the emerging digital economy when competing against agile, innovative smaller companies. Some even predicted that the internet would lead to the decline of cities. People could now work and shop from home; be in touch with their friends over e-mail, video calls, and text messaging; and get access to all kinds of information and entertainment online. Why would anyone choose to live in a crowded, expensive, crime-prone … Read More »

The post The rise of global, superstar firms, sectors and cities – Irving Wladawsky-Berger appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Why company culture matters for strategic results – Donald Sull  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2019, 07:02
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Why company culture matters for strategic results – Donald Sull
From MIT Sloan Management Review You don’t have to look far in the news headlines to find examples of how a good corporate culture can turbocharge performance, while a bad culture can wreak havoc on a company’s reputation and results. Relying on culture — rather than detailed rules or micromanagement — to shape behavior provides employees the flexibility to seize unexpected opportunities, adapt to local circumstances, and respond quickly to shifting market conditions. Corporate culture, like an organization’s strategic priorities or objectives and key results, represents a powerful way to align behavior with a company’s strategy and mission while allowing employees to exercise judgment and initiative. Culture, in short, is critical to striking the balance between strategic alignment and organizational agility. With the Culture 500 tool, managers and employees can explore how culture compares among more than 500 leading companies. For leaders, this interactive framework provides an actionable way to … Read More »

The post Why company culture matters for strategic results – Donald Sull appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Getting serious about the human side of data – Tom Davenport, Randy Be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2019, 07:02
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Getting serious about the human side of data – Tom Davenport, Randy Bean
From Forbes NewVantage Partners just released its 7th annual executive survey on big data and artificial intelligence in large organizations. If you’re pulling for better data, analytics, and AI within companies, there is much to encourage you in this year’s survey. Many aspects of this important domain of business show improvement: There was a higher participation rate in the survey than ever before, suggesting that more executives believe the topic is important. 90% of those who completed the survey are “C-level” executives—chief data, analytics, or information officers. A decade ago, only one of these jobs (the CIO) even existed. 92% of the respondents are increasing their pace of investment in big data and AI. 62% have already seen measurable results from their investments in big data and AI (a bit less than in 2018, but still pretty good). 48% say their organization competes on data and analytics. When Tom introduced this concept … Read More »

The post Getting serious about the human side of data – Tom Davenport, Randy Bean appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
GMAT Club Bot
Getting serious about the human side of data – Tom Davenport, Randy Be   [#permalink] 05 Dec 2019, 07:02

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 63 posts ] 

MIT Sloan MBA Admissions & Related Blogs

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Businessconquerer