Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 05:13 It is currently 12 May 2024, 05:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5656 [8]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4699 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 263
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 590 Q45 V26
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: Prison overcrowding has forced the early release of hundreds of crimin [#permalink]
Kudos
Dear All

After due thought, I have doubts between A & C. I understand a few of us have written A as confirmed choice but I thought I should share my answer and take your views on it as well.

B. The parole board that released the criminals was under significant pressure to do so. - Irrelevant , no relation to the conclusion drawn.
D. In an attempt to lower the incidence of violent crime, police officers will work overtime. - Irrelevant , no relation to the conclusion drawn.
E. The population of Metro City would like to stop the early release of any criminals. - Irrelevant , no relation to the conclusion drawn.

Now ;

A. The prisoners released early were first time offenders who had never committed violent crimes. - So prisoners released who have no history of violent crime, but does that mean they are not capable doing it ? The fact that after release of the first lot of prisoners due to over population there is fact that has been shared that crime has increased ( if not due to another reasons ), only reason we can think of is this lot that has been released.

( And just in good humour only, besides, in every movie a innocent guy who goes to prison comes out with a gangster may support this para as well ) , I wonder how can I crack jokes when am averaging 600 and I have GMAT in Dec'18 end :D

C. All prisoners released early are required to report to probation officers. - Now, if a prisoner is released he is supposed to report to PO. A PO is an officer who is in constant touch on regular basis and keeps a check on the activities of his attendees. If attendee is not performing as per expectation, he would be sent back to prison, hence same issue of over population. Or even, does that mean that next set of criminals will be released ?

Again, am happy for someone to advice me on this reasoning, as I mentioned earlier Dec'18 and only inputs from this group can save me I guess.

Regards
Abhinav
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Re: Prison overcrowding has forced the early release of hundreds of crimin [#permalink]
proabhinav wrote:
Dear All

After due thought, I have doubts between A & C. I understand a few of us have written A as confirmed choice but I thought I should share my answer and take your views on it as well.

B. The parole board that released the criminals was under significant pressure to do so. - Irrelevant , no relation to the conclusion drawn.
D. In an attempt to lower the incidence of violent crime, police officers will work overtime. - Irrelevant , no relation to the conclusion drawn.
E. The population of Metro City would like to stop the early release of any criminals. - Irrelevant , no relation to the conclusion drawn.

Now ;

A. The prisoners released early were first time offenders who had never committed violent crimes. - So prisoners released who have no history of violent crime, but does that mean they are not capable doing it ? The fact that after release of the first lot of prisoners due to over population there is fact that has been shared that crime has increased ( if not due to another reasons ), only reason we can think of is this lot that has been released.

( And just in good humour only, besides, in every movie a innocent guy who goes to prison comes out with a gangster may support this para as well ) , I wonder how can I crack jokes when am averaging 600 and I have GMAT in Dec'18 end :D

C. All prisoners released early are required to report to probation officers. - Now, if a prisoner is released he is supposed to report to PO. A PO is an officer who is in constant touch on regular basis and keeps a check on the activities of his attendees. If attendee is not performing as per expectation, he would be sent back to prison, hence same issue of over population. Or even, does that mean that next set of criminals will be released ?

Again, am happy for someone to advice me on this reasoning, as I mentioned earlier Dec'18 and only inputs from this group can save me I guess.

Regards
Abhinav

I think the (C) is the answer.

(A)- Tells us that the criminals released early are first time offenders and have not committed any violent crimes. However, this does not guarantee future behavior. These criminals may commit violent crimes in the future.

(C) Tells that the criminals released early are being monitored closely. Any misbehaviour on part of these released criminals will result in consequences.

Hence (C)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5656 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Kudos
aragonn wrote:
Prison overcrowding has forced the early release of hundreds of criminals back into the population of Metro City. This explains the increase in violent robberies since the early releases began.

Which of the following, if true, jeopardizes the conclusion drawn in the argument above?

A. The prisoners released early were first time offenders who had never committed violent crimes.
B. The parole board that released the criminals was under significant pressure to do so.
C. All prisoners released early are required to report to probation officers.
D. In an attempt to lower the incidence of violent crime, police officers will work overtime.
E. The population of Metro City would like to stop the early release of any criminals.

Question Explanation:

Conclusion: This explains the increase in violent robberies since the early releases began.

Premise: Prison overcrowding has forced the early release of hundreds of criminals back into the population of Metro City.

Assumptions: (1) It’s not a coincidence. It’s not a coincidence that there is an increase in violent robberies since the early releases began.

(2) There’s no other cause. There’s no other cause for the increase in violent robberies.

This is a weaken question as evidenced by the phrase which of the following…jeopardizes the conclusion. The passage contains a causality reasoning pattern, attributing the increase in violent robberies to the early release of hundreds of criminals back into the population of Metro City.

The standard assumptions of a causality reasoning pattern are that it’s not a coincidence and there’s no other cause. Because this is a weaken question, the correct answer will provide a reason that demonstrates that the increase in violent robberies was either a coincidence or potentially caused by other factors. Evaluate the answer choices, looking for one that reflects this idea.

Choice A: Correct. If the prisoners released early were first time offenders who had never committed violent crimes, then it is unlikely that they caused the increase in violent robberies after they were released. Thus, the increase was either a coincidence or caused by other factors.

Choice B: No. Whether the parole board…was under significant pressure is out of scope. This does not weaken the conclusion that the early release of hundreds of criminals…explains the increase in violent robberies since the early releases began.

Choice C: No. Whether prisoners released early are required to report to probation officers is out of scope. This does not weaken the conclusion that the early release of hundreds of criminals…explains the increase in violent robberies since the early releases began.

Choice D: No. The fact that police officers will work overtime is out of scope. This does not weaken the conclusion that the early release of hundreds of criminals…explains the increase in violent robberies since the early releases began.

Choice E: No. The fact that the population of Metro City would like to stop the early release of any criminals is out of scope. This does not weaken the conclusion that the early release of hundreds of criminals…explains the increase in violent robberies since the early releases began.

The correct answer is choice A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 225
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GRE 1: Q162 V167
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
aragonn wrote:
Prison overcrowding has forced the early release of hundreds of criminals back into the population of Metro City. This explains the increase in violent robberies since the early releases began.

Which of the following, if true, jeopardizes the conclusion drawn in the argument above?

A. The prisoners released early were first time offenders who had never committed violent crimes.
B. The parole board that released the criminals was under significant pressure to do so.
C. All prisoners released early are required to report to probation officers.
D. In an attempt to lower the incidence of violent crime, police officers will work overtime.
E. The population of Metro City would like to stop the early release of any criminals.

It is one the best examples of better of the worsts
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
hey, I am still confused between a and c. it would be great if someone can explain
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 850 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: CR - Violent Robberies [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: CR - Violent Robberies [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts