Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Carlson v/s Questrom

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 883
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4548 [1]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Carlson v/s Questrom [#permalink]
Mo2men - I am 27 and yes I did apply to few other schools but have been waitlisted in all - Simon, Vanderbilt Owen, Notre Dame Mendoza and McDonough. Do not know by when I will get a revert from these schools.

What's your opinion?

Mo2men wrote:
Hi,

How old are you? Have you applied to other schools this season other than Carlson and Questrom?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Vyshak - thank you so much for the detailed reply.

While I agree Boston as a city offers some great opportunities, at the same time there are also many many schools, infact better schools against whom we would compete against for a job.

Also, coming to the tuition fees - I would have to shell out almost $90K at BU v/s $50K at Carlson. The starting salary at Questrom is pretty low as well - just $92K for internationals (v/s $110-115K for Carlson). Isn't that a but too low? Your take here on the low starting salary?

Would BU be worth spending that extra $40K? Also, Carlson has many of the top companies, including Bain, BCG, Amazon and many more coming to their campus.

From my talks with current students at BU, I understand that the career services is almost non-existent and students are let on their own to fend for themselves. I understand that no school outside of may be top-10 will hand a job to internationals on a platter but having a supportive and a good career services team at least helps you in some way. What do you say?

Vyshak wrote:
Hi ajtmatch,

Looks like you have done your homework by listing out the pros and cons. The location of BU also offers a lot of advantages. Its surrounded by great schools and you can attend events organized by these schools. Boston is also home to a lot of startups, tech, healthcare and financial services companies. BU has a good track record in various case competitions over the past 5 years and you get to work with fantastic professors. I have also spoken with many alums and current students, and they all had good things to say about BU. There are a plethora of opportunities available at Questrom, be it tech/healthcare/finance/venture capital and private equity, and if you are good at networking you can find success in whatever you want to achieve at BU and beyond. I can't comment much on Carlson because I haven't researched much about it but BU is a very good school and I don't think the rankings quite reflect its potential.

To your other part - Yeah, STEM allows you to focus on your studies and goals without worrying much about the visa situation. BU is also trying to get STEM for finance and other concentrations too and it may happen in the 2nd year. Carlson's MBA/MSBA dual degree is also STEM but you have to shell out more for it and the duration of the program is longer.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4548 [0]
Send PM
I don't know whether Bain and BCG visit Carlson because those companies aren't mentioned on their employment report. BU has students who pursue careers in social impact and that may have caused the drop in average salary (my assumption). But, MBA + MSDT students have walked away with an average salary of $108K. And yes, if you are relying upon the career services team to get you the job then BU may not be the right fit for you. Students have relied on networking skills and alumni to land jobs. Although, Bain and BCG don't visit the campus, you do see BU alums who are currently working there. Infact, ZS doesn't visit BU but a current student has managed to land a job at ZS. Amazon doesn't visit BU but students did their internships there. So, its all down to your networking skills at BU.

By the way, if you are planning to take up the MBA + MSBA dual degree program at Carlson, the total tuition cost would turn out to be $14K expensive than Questrom's MBA + MSDT dual degree.

ajtmatch wrote:

While I agree Boston as a city offers some great opportunities, at the same time there are also many many schools, infact better schools against whom we would compete against for a job.

Also, coming to the tuition fees - I would have to shell out almost $90K at BU v/s $50K at Carlson. The starting salary at Questrom is pretty low as well - just $92K for internationals (v/s $110-115K for Carlson). Isn't that a but too low? Your take here on the low starting salary?

Would BU be worth spending that extra $40K? Also, Carlson has many of the top companies, including Bain, BCG, Amazon and many more coming to their campus.

From my talks with current students at BU, I understand that the career services is almost non-existent and students are let on their own to fend for themselves. I understand that no school outside of may be top-10 will hand a job to internationals on a platter but having a supportive and a good career services team at least helps you in some way. What do you say?

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Vyshak - BCG is mentioned on their 2019 employment report. Regarding Bain, one of the current students told me.

The $108K salary is the average right? I mean, for internationals it will be comparatively lesser by 10% or so? (deducing this from the avreage salary difference b/w domestic and international who opt for the general MBA) Is the 108K figure even for internationals? Would you be having any insights into this? Cause if so, then it does make BU an interesting proposition as well (I was calculating paying back my loan with an average of $90K which would have been a lot worse)

Yes, I agree the MSBA at Carlson will be extra cost, but I am not thinking about it - it has a stringent coding requirement and I do not want to venture into that path. Also, as you said it takes longer time.

So, either it is the general MBA at Carlson, which has better employment statistics or the MBA +MSDT at BU, for which I will have to shell out almost $90K.

Also, would you know why BU has seen a steady drop in the rankings over the past few years? Some schools such as Alabama are ranked better, surprisingly. Carlson at the same time went up 7 places higher this year, from #35 to #28 on the US News ranking.

Vyshak wrote:
I don't know whether Bain and BCG visit Carlson because those companies aren't mentioned on their employment report. BU has students who pursue careers in social impact and that may have caused the drop in average salary (my assumption). But, MBA + MSDT students have walked away with an average salary of $108K. And yes, if you are relying upon the career services team to get you the job then BU may not be the right fit for you. Students have relied on networking skills and alumni to land jobs. Although, Bain and BCG don't visit the campus, you do see BU alums who are currently working there. Infact, ZS doesn't visit BU but a current student has managed to land a job at ZS. Amazon doesn't visit BU but students did their internships there. So, its all down to your networking skills at BU.

By the way, if you are planning to take up the MBA + MSBA dual degree program at Carlson, the total tuition cost would turn out to be $14K expensive than Questrom's MBA + MSDT dual degree.

ajtmatch wrote:

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4548 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I don't know on what basis you are assuming internationals to earn 10% lesser than the average. You also have to check how many of the companies mentioned on the employment report hire internationals from the school. Given a small base of internationals, you may also end up being neglected by those companies who don't sponsor internationals and you may have to network on your own to find a job.

Coming to the rankings, in FT 2020 rankings Questrom is placed at 67, Carlson is placed at 81 and Alabama is nowhere in picture. You can be misled by rankings and I don't want to get into how a school like Alabama or Knoxville ended up gaining so many places. Please do talk to current students at both the schools, see which school suits you better, try to negotiate for additional scholarship if you can and then take a decision. Questrom is also currently having an admitted students week that started on Monday. Today will be the final day and you can email the adcoms for links and past recordings in case you are interested.

All the best!

ajtmatch wrote:
Vyshak - BCG is mentioned on their 2019 employment report. Regarding Bain, one of the current students told me.

The $108K salary is the average right? I mean, for internationals it will be comparatively lesser by 10% or so? (deducing this from the avreage salary difference b/w domestic and international who opt for the general MBA) Is the 108K figure even for internationals? Would you be having any insights into this? Cause if so, then it does make BU an interesting proposition as well (I was calculating paying back my loan with an average of $90K which would have been a lot worse)

Yes, I agree the MSBA at Carlson will be extra cost, but I am not thinking about it - it has a stringent coding requirement and I do not want to venture into that path. Also, as you said it takes longer time.

So, either it is the general MBA at Carlson, which has better employment statistics or the MBA +MSDT at BU, for which I will have to shell out almost $90K.

Also, would you know why BU has seen a steady drop in the rankings over the past few years? Some schools such as Alabama are ranked better, surprisingly. Carlson at the same time went up 7 places higher this year, from #35 to #28 on the US News ranking.

RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
In my view, I'm concerned about employment in both schools. Carlson has by far less internationals compared to other schools. Also, the many consulting firms stopped hiring internationals. As you did you due diligence, BU has problem in it career office.

In short, I'm leaning to advice you to wait this year to see the whole situation and work hard to get higher GMAT score to apply to big schools next season.

P.S. my Indian friend was apply to Darden last season and was advised by adcom to break 700 to be considered. Do not forget that you come from very competitive pool.

Good luck

ajtmatch wrote:
Mo2men - I am 27 and yes I did apply to few other schools but have been waitlisted in all - Simon, Vanderbilt Owen, Notre Dame Mendoza and McDonough. Do not know by when I will get a revert from these schools.

What's your opinion?

Mo2men wrote:
Hi,

How old are you? Have you applied to other schools this season other than Carlson and Questrom?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts