Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 17:05 It is currently 09 May 2024, 17:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2117 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 531 [0]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2117 [1]
Send PM
Re: Retake? [#permalink]
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
WHy do you think so ? What could be the implications of the pandemic on inflated GMAT scores or increased competition. Your two cents will be appreciated.

A Ph.D. candidate is a cost center; Whereas an MBA candidate is a profit center for a B-School. When the profit centers don't work at their best then the natural tendency is to cut down on costs. Hence I said many schools may not admit Ph.D. students next year and the ones that will do might decrease the number of Ph.D. vacancies and therefore the applicants might face increased competition. An obvious way to eliminate candidates at the first stage is the GMAT score. Generally, before the covid19 situation, the required GMAT score for Ph.D. applicants had increased to 700+ for most schools. Given the aforesaid increased competition, I advised him to improve the score to 720+ so that his profile is not eliminated in the first stage itself.

Anyways, I hope the situation becomes normal and I am proved wrong but as of now things don't look so good.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 531 [0]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
CAMANISHPARMAR wrote:
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
WHy do you think so ? What could be the implications of the pandemic on inflated GMAT scores or increased competition. Your two cents will be appreciated.

A Ph.D. candidate is a cost center; Whereas an MBA candidate is a profit center for a B-School. When the profit centers don't work at their best then the natural tendency is to cut down on costs. Hence I said many schools may not admit Ph.D. students next year and the ones that will do might decrease the number of Ph.D. vacancies and therefore the applicants might face increased competition. An obvious way to eliminate candidates at the first stage is the GMAT score. Generally, before the covid19 situation, the required GMAT score for Ph.D. applicants had increased to 700+ for most schools. Given the aforesaid increased competition, I advised him to improve the score to 720+ so that his profile is not eliminated in the first stage itself.

Anyways, I hope the situation becomes normal and I am proved wrong but as of now things don't look so good.

What are your thoughts on increased competition for emba programs in india due to covid ? Gmat scores need to be boosted ? What's the scenario going to be like for next year admissions ?

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Send PM
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
CAMANISHPARMAR wrote:
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:

What are your thoughts on increased competition for emba programs in india due to covid ? Gmat scores need to be boosted ? What's the scenario going to be like for next year admissions ?

I am not sure how the EMBA admissions (I am assuming the top 3 IIM's and ISB) will span out next year. However, I don't see competition to increase next year as an MBA student is a profit center. Given the uncertainty, many might NOT prefer to leave their secured jobs and embark on a high-cost MBA program during economic slowdown. However, it's too early to comment. Maybe we will have more clarity in the coming 6 months as to how things are playing out and then we will be in a better position to understand the situation and its impact on EMBA admissions.

All the best!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1826 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
CAMANISHPARMAR wrote:
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:

EMBA in India is already competitive but in Indian context. Certainly, from the global perspective, the thought is that competition will increase but there are other factors too that affect MBA intake in these kind of times. Manish is right in saying PhD being a cost center and MBA being a profit center. PhDs are hired by very few companies who have established R&D centers so demand is not that much - relative to undergraduate/graduates - an unfortunate harsh reality. But COVID-19 situation is unique so what normally happens in slowdown is not necessarily going to happen now. Generalising it also doesn't helps since no one knows how things would pan out. Again, B Schools can't bump GMAT Score as it happens by itself OR rather, it's not undergraduate admissions where eligibility scores keep getting bumped.

So, if poster thinks he/she can bump the score, he/she should definitely do it. There is no harm in that. Ultimately, if someone is entering the industry he/she needs to prove the skills not educational qualification, which authenticates/boosts the skills otherwise. One of my entrepreneur PhD friend is into patents/database but he hardly gets clients in India. So, a lot depends on what as an applicant you want from PhD/MBA, which now comes to applications.

Lastly, average/median salary in India is not going to increase because of situation Indian economy is going through or likely recovery it would have.

Above is in Indian context only.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1258 [0]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Retake? [#permalink]
Seems that you want to apply for PhD in accounting in India? I think 700 or above is usually a competitive score for a PhD.

You should go and chat with the current, relevant PhD students. Know what their score was and what they did for the application

Intern
Intern
Send PM
CAMANISHPARMAR wrote:
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:

Thank you for the explanation.

I guess I better prepare for retake ASAP

Wish me luck

Intern
Intern
Send PM
chondro48 wrote:
Seems that you want to apply for PhD in accounting in India? I think 700 or above is usually a competitive score for a PhD.

You should go and chat with the current, relevant PhD students. Know what their score was and what they did for the application

I want to take Phd in US

I am not aiming at HBS or those ivy school.

My preferred choice of school is Kelley since it has a professor whose interest aligns with mine.

Anyway thanks for the advice.
VP
VP
Send PM
jtanone wrote:
CAMANISHPARMAR wrote:
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:

Thank you for the explanation.

I guess I better prepare for retake ASAP

Wish me luck

Good decision, all the best for your retake!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1258 [1]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Genoa2000 wrote:
CAMANISHPARMAR wrote:
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
CAMANISHPARMAR wrote:
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:

I am not sure how the EMBA admissions (I am assuming the top 3 IIM's and ISB) will span out next year. However, I don't see competition to increase next year as an MBA student is a profit center. Given the uncertainty, many might NOT prefer to leave their secured jobs and embark on a high-cost MBA program during economic slowdown. However, it's too early to comment. Maybe we will have more clarity in the coming 6 months as to how things are playing out and then we will be in a better position to understand the situation and its impact on EMBA admissions.

All the best!

Hi!
I am thinking of applying to a MiM program in France beginning in September 2022; I am still in my first year of the bachelor but I am preparing the GMAT now. Do you think that for my round of application (not next year but 2 years from now) will be more competitive because some people decide to not start their master's degree online during this intake?

Imo, I don't think 2022 intake is more competitive then the preceding years. Recession (or perhaps depression) is knocking on the door and people don't know how long it will last.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4414 posts