Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:40 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Duke Fuqua MBA Admissions & Related Blogs [#permalink]
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Advocating for the International Community

2020 is anything but boring. That’s what I always say to my friends and family. When we think we might finally have things figured out, there’s always something that takes us by surprise. And as an international student at Fuqua, I can say that has a special connotation.

In the last few months, we have been overcoming unexpected hurdles on the road to finishing our MBA, specifically relating to recent changes in immigration policies and visa status, threatening our ability to stay in the U.S., to graduate, and to move forward on our professional paths. But I also have to say that, now more than ever, I’m thankful to be part of Fuqua.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I had the chance to join some other classmates and become part of the MBA Association as VP of International Affairs, having the opportunity to participate in conversations around these issues with my classmates and with Fuqua’s administration. And I think the moment that best summarizes this experience was a recent live virtual town hall I hosted with Dean Bill Boulding.

The town hall session with Dean Bill Boulding

Fuqua is Constantly and Proactively Advocating for the International Community

In my conversation with Bill, he shared some initiatives Fuqua is taking to advocate for the international community. And I say the international community as a whole because he is working together with other business schoolsto lead cross-organizational initiatives that would benefit all of us, whether part of Fuqua or not.

He also mentioned he has been reaching out to CEOs from top companies across the country, providing indisputable proof that our participation in the U.S. market during and after the MBA is not taking jobs from U.S. citizens, but inserting highly qualified professionals who will drive the economy positively, creating more job opportunities for all in the long term. Since this message has been shared with the highest-ranked companies and organizations, it has been able to reach the White House many times.

We also talked about other initiatives, highlighting the Fuqua Volunteer Corps, led by our very own Dr. Jeremy Petranka. This initiative helps provide international and other students an opportunity to gain valuable business experience at a time when some internship and work plans were disrupted by the pandemic. And in the true spirit of Leaders of Consequence, it also allows us to give back to a country that has and will be our home for at least two years.

Beyond that, Bill shared how Fuqua is working behind the curtains day and night for us, even in the adverse context of a global pandemic and social crisis, because we are a key element of the Fuqua experience and we play a key role in the development of our classmates, both international and domestic.

Feeling Optimistic and Thankful

On a personal note, I left our conversation with a renewed sense of optimism. Bill not only showed his support to our community, but also genuine care for our wellbeing. It was clear that for him and for Fuqua, we are not only numbers or emails, but real people, with opinions and concerns, and that those are as important as any other issue we might need help with.

Also, as we become leaders ourselves, we are understanding the need to work together in this. We are going through an unprecedented context of uncertainty, so we are learning that we can ask Fuqua for answers but at the same time, we all can work together to find the best solution for problems that are new to all of us. In my role working closely with the administration, I have seen how hard the people from Fuqua have been working in the last months—special thanks to Samira and Annie in the International Programs Office and Dave in the Career Management Center! Even though no one can know what will happen in the future, I can say that Fuqua will keep working hard for the members of its community.

Proud of Team Fuqua

In these last words, I’ll repeat what I said at the beginning of this article: now more than ever I’m thankful for being part of this community. Fuqua is not only its staff, alumni, or students, it is all of us. The amount of support and love we have seen from our American classmates in recent weeks has been invaluable for international students. I have been able to witness the brightest side of my classmates in the darkest times, so I can only feel proud and thankful for having them in these moments. Even in this challenging context we have to live in, I can say I don’t regret one day my decision to join Team Fuqua.

The post Advocating for the International Community appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: When You Realize You Truly Know the Fuqua Community

You don’t really know a community until it’s tested.

As I was boarding my flight for a spring break ski trip in early March 2020, I thought our class had already been tested. The gauntlet of internship recruiting was mostly behind us, we were officially done with core courses, and our upcoming second-year responsibilities were mostly solidified. All of these aspects of the MBA experience had involved totally unexpected twists, deep and serious self-reflection, and most importantly, coming to know and love the humans of Fuqua. And that had nothing on what was yet to come.

Who Am I?

For a little personal context, I’m a former management consultant and software client relationship manager who had walked a pretty straight path to pursuing an MBA. Diplomatically-packaged authenticity from my application aside, I came to Fuqua to challenge myself and kick imposter syndrome’s butt.

Two things I swore I wouldn’t do in the pursuit of that master’s-fueled enlightenment were recruiting for a return to consulting (been there, done that, I had told myself) or serve in student government (Me? Overinvolved? Again?).

Never say never, friends.

As it turns out, I joined about half of our class in the marathon parade of case interview prep and firm networking events that make up MBA consulting recruiting for the fall terms. Then, as Spring Term 1 was just getting started, one of my very first Fuqua friends, Sarah Izzo, blew me away when she called me over during a Fuqua Friday to talk about running together for co-presidents of the MBA Association (Fuqua’s student government).

You guessed it—I ended up breaking both of my self-imposed rules. And I’m so glad I did because in really reflecting on the first half-and-change of my MBA experience, both decisions have offered me the most meaningful opportunities to really get to know Fuqua.

So, here’s my take on who we are, what that’s meant for how we’ve navigated 2020, and what that tells me about how we will face the future.

My Consequential Leadership team meeting for the first time on day one of orientation

Fuqua Was Great in ‘Normal’ Times

Getting to live out most of our first year as the Class of 2021 in the ‘normal world’ we formed, stormed, normed, and performed our way through core classes, section socials, Consequential Leadership (C-Lead) team projects. We went on Friday adventures around downtown Durham and experienced Cameron craziness over Duke basketball. We got to form the incredible friendships you often hear about from alumni, wistfully recounting the singular reason they’re all inevitably—but truthfully—most grateful for these two years. We had, in fact, already laughed together, cried together, seen each other through all kinds of challenges both orchestrated and organic, and made plans for our collective futures.

In our very first week, we did a team-building activity that involved getting our entire 400-person class over a 15-foot wall. We succeeded, though at the time I was surprised. I quickly got used to how Fuquans are the kind of people who dedicate their full attention to you in a conversation because they really want to know your story, while also keeping an eye out for any classmates who might be feeling left out. I saw countless classmates give their all to help friends prep for competitive internship roles they desperately wanted themselves, and then celebrate their friends’ successes as if it was their own. Prioritizing decency as a community, it turns out, makes a difference.

A Friendsgiving celebration for our Section 4 where we got the chance to share the tradition of American Thanksgiving and what each of us was most grateful for about one-another

I served as a social chair for my section, so they trusted me with the turkey

Then Times Weren’t ‘Normal’ Anymore

But back to me standing in line at Raleigh-Durham International Airport. Hindsight being 20/20, you and I know that the clouds gathering on the horizon back in March 2020 would amount to a perfect storm made up of a global health crisis, an overdue reckoning on society’s values with regard to racial equality, and a need for extensive restructuring at the international, community, and individual levels to drive more safety, equity, and inclusion in our institutions, families, and personal lives.

Fuqua has been no exception. In fact, it’s been a microcosm, requiring even deeper looks in the mirror, tougher conversations, and more grace under fire than I could imagine finding anywhere else.

I’m proud to say that we’ve seen the very best in people shine through the challenges of the past few months. When COVID hit, Fuquans rallied, honoring 14-day quarantines and, as a community, taking CDC guidelines seriously as the right thing to do in order to protect others. Those who didn’t have to formally quarantine created volunteer lists to get essentials to those who were unable to do so themselves, including a whole bunch of early-morning errands for students run by our deans and other administrators. The members of our newly-seated MBAA Cabinet didn’t miss a beat, going way above-and-beyond to pull together programming that kept everyone connected, informed, and, for lack of a better word, alright, despite also facing the personal implications of the pandemic.

Most impressive though, were those who took it upon themselves to check on each other outside of any formal roles. Three members of our class (including a C-Lead team member I now count as one of my very best friends) texted me every single day those first few weeks, knowing both that Sarah and I were trying to figure out how to lead in a COVID world, and also that I’m deeply extroverted and was taking the solitary confinement of quarantining hard. After a Zoom happy hour where someone in our section mentioned that he hadn’t gotten to see a person in real life for two full weeks, a classmate immediately bagged up homemade chocolate chip cookies and showed up at his door to make sure he was alright. A group of second-years made daily rounds to all those in quarantine to keep spirits up. A classmate curated a list of virtual Durham volunteer opportunities and got those slots filled. Another section mate of mine got nearly twenty students and a couple deans to grow out beards (we’d ultimately shave them into our best Hulk Hogans) in order to raise PPE funds and awareness for health care workers.

Times were tough, but our community rose to the occasion in the most inspiring ways.

Some of the Hulk Hogans (including Dean Bill Boulding and Assistant Dean Steve Misuraca) in our big fundraising reveal...

…and a super fun closeup of my best attempt at a beard before the big shave

Then the killings of Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, and George Floyd served as stark reminders of the work we still have to do in the U.S. in pursuit of racial equality. A group of students coordinated a 2.23-mile, socially-distanced run on Duke’s East Campus to commemorate Ahmaud’s love of running along with similar participation around the nation and world. We held a community-wide conversation on allyship, facilitated by MBAA Vice President of Diversity and Inclusion Nwaka Isamah, attended by over 180 students, faculty, and staff—all there to take stock of where we were and how we could take meaningful action.

From there, the broader discussion took off in every corner of Fuqua, across our class-wide group chats, personal Instagram stories, and individual conversations. Students anonymously delivered care packages to members of the community feeling the impact of recent events most directly and personally. Leadership stood up the Racial Equity Working Group to help define meaningful action plans for our administration, staff, and faculty to take in the months and years to come. We’re developing enhanced programming to empower Fuquans with the right tools to lead inclusive teams in the working world. The MBAA kicked off a campaign to solicit personal Pledges to Learn and Act from every member of Team Fuqua—classmates, faculty, staff, and administrators.

For me, personally, it’s represented an opportunity to seek out more diverse sources of information and to take better stock of how I can improve my active allyship of others. We readily recognize that we have a long way to go and that this critical work will never be finished, but Fuqua has proven that it’s capable of and committed to actively fostering a community that celebrates and empowers every race, creed, color, ethnicity, nation of origin, religion, and personal orientation.

My own Fuqua Pledge to Learn and Act

You Don’t Know a Community Until It’s Really Tested

I felt lucky to be a part of Team Fuqua that day in the airport awaiting my flight, before the world as we understood it shifted. Fuqua had given me so much in our first year alone that when Sarah was kind enough to approach me about trying to pay it forward by running to lead the MBAA, it was an easy decision. That decision has resulted in a front-row seat to the challenges our Fuqua community has faced in recent months and how we’ve responded. I can confidently say that I now know Fuqua.

Fuqua to me is the character, empathy, and resolve manifested in selfless acts of kindness by every member of the community, particularly when the world is being profoundly challenged. It’s the place I’m even more grateful to be today given the uncertainty of the coming months and years. And it’s the community I’m honored to be a part of and humbled to be able to help steward forward.

A few of the Fuquans who have changed my life…

…and made my MBA experience so meaningful

The post When You Realize You Truly Know the Fuqua Community appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Stories of Alumni Impact

At Fuqua, we believe that all of our students and alumni have the potential to lead positive social change. This is exactly why the Center for the Advancement of Social Entrepreneurship (CASE) works to build our students’ competencies, connections, and community so that, when they graduate, they have an impact—wherever they go. Whether working in corporate sustainability initiatives, becoming executive directors of nonprofits, leading impact investments, or serving on volunteer boards, our alumni have used the social impact skills that they learned at Fuqua to create positive change all over the world.

We recently asked a few alumni to share their stories by answering the question, “What’s Your Impact?” I am always so inspired to hear what our incredible alumni are up to, so I thought you might be as well! Meet just a few of them below and connect with us at CASE to learn more about how you can use skills from an MBA to become a social impact leader.

Alejandra Rossi

After graduating from Fuqua in 2017, Ale has used the skills that she learned to become the executive director of a nonprofit that supports the growth of social enterprises in her home country, Uruguay. Additionally, she is teaching social entrepreneurship to undergraduates at a Uruguayan university, having an impact on future social leaders.

More about Ale’s impact:

Manu Costa

After graduating from Fuqua, Manu has used the skills that he learned to join a community development financial institution, or CDFI, in Miami. He is making an impact by steering capital in the direction of sustainability and inclusion.

More about Manu’s impact:

Rana Marks

Rana has been using the skills that she learned at Fuqua to work in corporate sustainability. She is having an impact by using business as a force for good to create a more sustainable planet and economy for all stakeholders.

More about Rana’s impact:

Tuokpe Ayujah

Since graduating from Fuqua, Tuokpe has been using the skills that she learned to drive impact investments. She is working to better understand how factors, such as the environment, privacy, diversity, and regulatory policy can shape the flow of capital to generate positive financial and impact returns.

More about Tuokpe’s impact:

I am so proud of these, and all of our other, Fuqua alumni that are using their business skills to make the world a better place. In these days of global pandemics, environmental crises, and growing inequality, we need our best minds to help solve social problems and create more resilient communities and economies. As we all navigate the uncertainty and hardships of the world today, I hope that these stories of alumni having an impact can serve as a bright spot and a ray of hope for what the future brings. 

The post Stories of Alumni Impact appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: My 10 Most Memorable Experiences at Fuqua

When I was a prospective student, I remember reading marketing materials about Fuqua. Now that I have graduated, I have seen how the elements of that content have been brought to life. I can’t help but feel incredibly grateful to everything the community helped me achieve. Looking back, here are the 10 most memorable experiences I had at Fuqua.

1. Extracurricular Creative Outlets

The closest I’ll ever get to being on the “Iron Chef America” TV show is Fuqua’s own Iron Chef annual cooking competition. My friends and I spent hours creating a menu, cooking, and serving our judges. It was a hectic day, but seeing the happy faces of the judges when they were eating our food made it all worth it!

2. Creating Experiences for the Whole Community

Incredible speakers come to Fuqua every year. As a cabinet member of Fuqua’s Media, Entertainment, and Sports club, I organized and planned our guest speaker visits. We were lucky enough to host NBA basketball legend David Robinson, and I led the Q&A. Working with my classmates and professors to create an informative and fun event for the community was incredibly rewarding.

3. Accountability and Persistence

Improving my fitness was one of my main non-academic goals. I used to cycle, but that fell off when I was working. At Fuqua, a couple of classmates rode with me every weekend, and over time my endurance improved. One brisk winter day, we biked 40 miles—a feat I hadn’t achieved in more than five years. It wouldn’t have been possible without the Fuqua community, and I thank my friends for holding me accountable to my goals every weekend. I now have my sights set on a 100-mile ride!

4. Experiential Learning

Through Fuqua’s experiential learning opportunities, students can earn course credit by taking on real-life consulting projects. My team and I worked with the Chicago Bulls of the NBA to create a playbook to help streamline certain business operations. I had always wanted to work in sports, so this opportunity was perfect for me. We even got to catch a game at the United Center and met fellow Dukie and NBA player, Wendell Carter, Jr.!

My Chicago Bulls student consultant team after a game at the United Center

5. Giving Back

As a newly-minted second-year student, I came back to Fuqua to help with orientation for the incoming first-years. Being a part of the team that introduced and integrated the new students to the Fuqua community was really fulfilling.

The Class of 2019 orientation team with the new Class of 2018 at the end of their orientation

6. The Academic Experience

Fuqua has an incredible range of fascinating classes. Ever wonder how basic rules of corporate strategy can be flipped when in the context of emerging markets? Do you want to learn how to value a company? And who would have thought that Global Taxation would be one of our most popular classes? Fuqua has it all!

7. International Travel

One of my favorite parts of business school was learning about business and international culture through traveling abroad. I learned about technology innovation while studying at Grenoble École de Management in France, via a partnership with Fuqua. I enjoyed Fall and Spring break trips with many classmates, in India, Mexico, and Israel. Through these trips, I forged friendships that will last a lifetime.

India spring break group in front of the Taj Mahal

8. Community Bonding

Watching the Duke versus UNC basketball game at Cameron Indoor Stadium is an unreal experience. The energy is electric, and the noise is deafening. At the game in 2019, attendees included former President Barack Obama, baseball star Ken Griffey, Jr., and film producer Spike Lee. The game is a perfect example of how close the Duke community is.

9. Pursuing the Challenging Assignments

For my team’s final project for our Valuations class, we chose to value Zoom, a video technology platform through which Fuqua runs its online courses. I didn’t know this would turn out to be the most fun, yet most challenging project I encountered at Fuqua, especially given the macroeconomic conditions due to COVID.

10. Empathy and Caring

I’ll never forget my birthday in 2018. Hurricane Florence had hit North Carolina, causing a stressful time for many students. Despite this, on my birthday, one classmate baked me a pumpkin cheesecake, and the rest of the section surprised me with a party immediately after our classes. Everyone was so busy, yet they all made time for me on this special day. That was the moment I knew Fuqua was a special place.

The post My 10 Most Memorable Experiences at Fuqua appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Virtual Recruiting During COVID-19: Lessons Along the Way

As associate dean for career management, I lead the school’s efforts to prepare our students and alumni in finding what each uniquely defines as meaningful work and to develop opportunities and partnerships with the premier employers Fuquans want to join.

Since March, our team has been working diligently to help our students, alumni and employers to navigate the many challenges of virtual recruiting during COVID-19. Along the way, we’ve seen firsthand how job seekers can succeed despite the uncertainties and rapid changes. Here are a few insights that can make a big difference.

1. Check your tech.

Before you can make a genuine connection in an online coffee chat or ace the interview for your dream job, make sure your preparation includes the virtual where, when and how.

• How do you ensure a calm, quiet and distraction-free environment for Zoom, Teams or FaceTime chats, especially if you’re at home with family, roommates or pets?
    • Let others know you have an important meeting or interview coming up and keep the door closed to minimize interruptions.
    • Don’t worry or overreact if you have an unplanned visitor. Keep in mind, the recruiter is likely dealing with the same challenges.
    • Keep the pings and alarms of electronics from getting in the way. Charging your laptop, closing windows on other apps, and turning your phone to silent mode will allow you to focus on the conversation.
  • How do you ensure your internet connection is stable? Position yourself in the part of your house with the best reception and see if others can refrain from using the network until your video call is finished.
  • How do you look on camera? Check your outfit, lighting, background and camera angle so the overall effect is professional. You may need to put a few books under your laptop so the camera is at eye level or slightly above.
  • How do you sound on camera? Do a test run by recording yourself on Zoom or a similar application. You’ll not only get to see how the setting looks but you can also hear your voice tone and volume to see if adjustments need to be made.

2. Showcase your personality authentically.

The walk to the conference room is still happening, albeit in a virtual capacity. Think about how you’ll manage the ‘small talk’ that typically comes at the beginning and end of virtual interviews. You’ll feel more comfortable and confident about the informal aspects of the interview with an intentional plan in place.

[*]Include pops of color in the background that can also serve as conversation starters, such as travel photos, sports memorabilia, artwork or other items that tastefully showcase your interests and hobbies.[*]What does your body language convey? The online setting naturally offers fewer non-verbal cues, so it’s important to set a positive tone. Lean in slightly with good posture—so you’re at about an arm’s length from the camera—to demonstrate your attention. Let the interviewer know you’re listening by nodding at key times. Perhaps, most importantly, smile genuinely! [*]If you have a hard time remembering to look at the camera, which is like making eye contact when face-to-face, put a brightly colored, small post-it arrow pointing at the camera to remind you.[*]Review your interviewer’s LinkedIn profile and/or bio on the company’s website before your meeting. You may find you have one or more interests, experiences or backgrounds in common that can be a great way to break the ice[/list]

3. Have resources ready during the interview.

Maximize the advantages that virtual recruiting presents! Enjoy having to wear that uncomfortable business suit for only the interview instead of all day. Keep your notes or references in view during the meeting. Think of it as an open book exam that will help you come off as well informed and polished.

[*]What questions do you want to ask the interviewer? What are the key value-adds you’ll bring to the role? Keep those notes off-camera but in easy view. Consider a document stand next to your laptop so your eye contact flows naturally.[*]Have the company’s website open in a browser so you are aware of what’s being featured on their homepage or you can access a specific department or blog easily if it’s brought up on the call.[*]Keep the organization’s social channels or recent press releases available, either in a browser or printed, so you can reference its most recent news or the key messages they are communicating.[/list]

4. Show you can successfully adapt to a different and evolving way of conducting business.

Differentiate yourself by demonstrating you have the agility, grit and courage that organizations need right now.

[*]How have you adapted during the quarantine? What have you learned about yourself professionally or personally?[*]How does hiring you help the organization address some of its unique challenges right now?[*]Describe a recent difficulty you overcame, what you did, and how it made the situation better.[*]Demonstrate how your team skills have shined recently and have positively impacted a group to which you belong.[*]Think carefully about the examples or stories you share. Be sure to highlight not only job-specific skills but also your interpersonal and communication skills.  [/list]

5. Be ready for conversations with top decision makers.

In many organizations, senior leaders are taking a more hands-on approach to recruiting. Executives are often more willing to spend additional time in interviews, having in-depth conversations because they too are working from home and because making smart hiring decisions is especially important right now.

6. Stay in touch after the interview.

Your work isn’t done after the conversation ends! Candidates become more memorable and demonstrate authentic interest by finding appropriate opportunities to remain visible and connected.

• Send a thank you note via email, customized to highlight the unique conversation you had. Review how it looks and reads in advance by sending it to yourself.
  • If you attend an online seminar or read an article on a topic that you discussed in your meeting, send a note to share the link or information. It’s a great way to continue the conversation and to show you’re active professionally and stay abreast on current issues.

7. Stay positive and connected.

It’s easy to feel isolated while hunting for a job from home all day. Please know that you are not alone!

• Are you approaching the job search with curiosity and a growth mindset? Take a few minutes after every interaction to take note of what you thought you did well and what you can do differently next time. It’s easy to skip this step but pausing to reflect will help build on your strengths, minimize pitfalls, and feel more in control of the process. Your notes are also very handy when you receive an invitation for a next interview with the same employer.
  • Stay in touch with your personal as well as your professional network. Talk to family and friends who aren’t in a job search to help you remember there’s a world outside of resumes, cover letters and interview prep. Have a FaceTime call with that childhood friend who always makes you laugh and helps you see the positives in your situation. 
  • Keep the people and routines in your life that help you feel balanced, centered and optimistic. Develop or maintain a focus on nutrition, exercise, relaxation and quality sleep, as those positive habits fuel your mind and body to be at your best when job leads present themselves.

We’re grateful to the recruiters, alumni and students who’ve shared their recent experiences from virtual recruiting and lessons learned so we can understand and incorporate these real-time insights to benefit our community. In true Team Fuqua fashion, we are learning and working together to navigate these uncharted waters!

The post Virtual Recruiting During COVID-19: Lessons Along the Way appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: How to Maximize the First Terms at Fuqua

Receiving that phone call, meeting up with friends to shamelessly brag about getting accepted to Fuqua, handing in my letter of resignation to the company that I hated and loved for six years, leaving everything behind and flying to Durham in the summer of 2019, deciding on a home in American Village after realizing that Ninth Street is not for me, and finally the first day of HSM Bootcamp mid-July. I had heard how fast time flies once school starts, but it only really registered in mid-December while I was walking out from my last exam of Fall Term 2. Time and tide wait for no man, but man did I wish I had known a few things before the craziness of those first terms came and went.

What could I have done better to fully maximize the experience and really soak in each and every moment? As any good Fuquan would do, instead of stopping at the thought, I decided to put together a shortlist of clichés and oh-so-obvious insights in the hopes that somebody joining Team Fuqua could make use of it someday.

Priorities—of the infinite ways to approach them, I stuck to the good things come in threes rule:

1. I’m here to make friends and build connections to help me succeed as an inclusive leader of consequence in this sometimes cold and ruthless business world.

Whenever there was a schedule conflict, I learned to prioritize spending time with my classmates. Bonding can take on many different forms, but in the end it’s all about the stories you tell each other and the memories you end up sharing.

Here at Fuqua, we are in Durham, North Carolina—the American South—where hospitality means everything and real conversations are encouraged. We are at Duke, where we have the full support of the faculty and the larger Duke community, which adds so much more to the MBA experience. Most of us swarmed campus during Campout for Duke basketball tickets, spending two nights and three days outdoors in front of tents chatting with each other as if we had just learned to talk. I have had the fortune to work closely with one of the leading research facilities in the world, and despite my lack of experience and many mistakes in the beginning, my counterparts have been nothing but obliging. And more than once I barged into the office of the Career Management Center to have some of the most meaningful conversations about my career I have ever had.

Looking back, I met and connected with many more people in those first terms than any other time in my life. My classmates became my closest friends who broadened my perspective and made me think so hard about things I had never thought about before. If I were to do it over, I would choose not to bail on wine and cheese nights because of assignments or on rugby because it was too hot and I didn’t bring my shorts. After all, is the highest grade on that paper or the physical comfort in that moment the most important thing in the long run?

2. I’m here to actively explore career options.

MBA recruiting is especially difficult for those who are still undecided, which was the case for many of my classmates. In my case, I thought I had a very clear idea of what I wanted to pursue, but thinking about all these cases, I soon got caught up in the consulting fever like a lot of Fuquans do. In a way it made absolute sense, the MBA is essentially a program for those who value having options, and what industry could offer more options than consulting!

I ended up leveraging my consulting interview practice to receive and accept an internship offer from one of the best health care companies on earth. Do I have any regrets about spending more than eight weeks including the winter break solely on preparing to recruit for a very specific industry? Absolutely not. Casing with my classmates became yet another activity that we could do together. I had countless 1 to 2-hour mock interview sessions scheduled with classmates, many of whom I had not had the pleasure of getting to know earlier on in school. In addition to preparing for our job interviews, we bonded and added more memories to the Fuqua journey. In particular, I was most humbled by the help that many second-years actively extended, and I thank all 29 of them who mock interviewed me throughout the course of two months. Recruiting turned out to be another true Team Fuqua experience.

3. I’m here to learn about the American health care system.

Academia is certainly important, and while I have aced most of my classes by passing them and acquiring verbal promises from professors that they will provide life-time warranty in the form of free consulting, looking back I wish I had spent more time on the subjects that really grabbed my attention. Not simply for the sake of grades, but to really learn them.

The 6-week term format can be a really short time to digest a concept, let alone an entire course. While all the grades on my transcript will be something I can proudly tell my grandchildren about someday, really learning the material became an agenda for my spring terms. I took Health Care Markets and learned how to see through biased research or unintended consequences in policy. I enrolled in the student consultant program to earn credits for gaining real-life experience with actual clients, helping them solve real business problems. And throughout these interactions I was able to connect with even more classmates who had so far just been great people to hang out with, but turned out to have great professional insight having come from big pharma, medical research, government policy, non-profit, and more. In a very literal sense, focusing on my specific curiosities opened up a whole new dimension of conversations. And yes, so far, I can satisfyingly say that I am definitely getting my money’s worth.

In Closing…

It was not all peaches and rainbows. There were a few dark times when I was physically burned out from everything happening at once, when I felt I was far behind everybody else, when I was numbed by the rejection letters coming in from employers in heaps and piles. Everybody feels this way at some point, and the moment we opened up to each other about what each of us were going through, these became the good times, fond memories to look back on, and friendships that I would not trade for the world. The first terms at Fuqua were all about prioritizing, learning what I wanted, and most importantly, being in it together. As I hear from friends who recently got accepted to Fuqua, I mean it with all my heart when I tell them I wish I could do it again.

The post How to Maximize the First Terms at Fuqua appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: The Highs and Lows of Entrepreneurship During Business School

When I came into my first year at Fuqua, second year of my dual-degree overall, I had decided it was time to embrace something different. Fresh off an internship at WeWork, I had entrepreneurial inspiration and an idea for applying techniques I learned during my internship to a new context. I wanted to develop a technology to address an educational gap I dubbed a lack of “carbon literacy.” Similar to the concept of financial literacy, carbon literacy is an understanding of the carbon impact of our consumption habits and how we can properly manage that impact.

It was this foundation on which the idea for carbIN (Carbon Insights) was born. My co-founders and I found that personal carbon accounting was overly burdensome, and believed this, among other influences, was contributing to the paralysis that consumers feel over selecting more sustainable options. While we might read an article on sustainable living every once in a while, it isn’t long before the learnings we glean from that article fade and fail to actually alter our consumption habits. We determined we needed a solution that was dynamic and low effort in order to help develop the ‘language of carbon’ among the masses. While existing solutions were aiming for this same target, their approaches seemed to appear short. Our conversations led us to understand that few people wanted another niche app on their phone and most companies aren’t invested in developing this type of feature for their consumers.

With our background research in hand, we set out to develop our minimum viable product (MVP) and secure a pilot. In July of 2020 we completed our MVP and our application programming interfaces (API), which calculates the carbon, land use, and water use impact of any categorized transaction sent our way. At the beginning of September, we found out that we were accepted to Cohort 7 of the Joules Accelerator, a Charlotte-based accelerator focused on climate tech and grid tech companies with net zero carbon emissions. Through this accelerator, my team and I will get to work alongside climate and commercialization experts at organizations such as Microsoft, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, EY, and more.

carbIN’s API chart

Once my unbounded excitement about carbIN’s acceptance to Joules had settled, I had the opportunity to reflect on how far we’d come from early ideation last summer. One of the things that stood out to me most was how the endless support of my network throughout this endeavor. Whether it was from the EDF Climate Corps network, or grants from Duke, or most notably, the support of the Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation (CEI) at Fuqua, the way that my network showed up was amazing. I can’t keep track of the number of times Stephen Fusi, managing director of CEI, was willing to meet with me about this idea. Moreover, Professor Jamie N. Jones, executive director of CEI, and Stephen have offered constant support in product testing opportunities, connections to student founders programs, and so much more. 

I’ll admit I haven’t been the perfect entrepreneurial student here at Fuqua. I have not yet enrolled in either of the New Ventures courses, despite the raving reviews (oops), and I was too late to apply to the Student Founders program last year when I originally learned about it. I didn’t attend the Entrepreneurship Bootcamp during my orientation because I was still working at my internship and I am not on the cabinet of the Entrepreneurship and Venture Capital Club leadership. Still, despite my ‘delinquency’ in embracing the entrepreneurial track here at Fuqua, the entrepreneurship community has wholeheartedly embraced me. The clearest demonstration of this was when I was invited to pitch to the CEI board among several other groups of students, who had all come together through New Ventures pathways.

All in all, my learnings so far are as follows: the highs and lows of entrepreneurship are real, very real. Being in an MBA program, I thought that I could always have other options, so what did I really have to lose during my time at Fuqua? I failed to fully anticipate the complete emotional rollercoaster it would be to build something from nothing and am so grateful for the incredible support of the CEI and Team Fuqua overall. The abundance of entrepreneurial opportunities available at Fuqua is still incredible to me, from New Ventures to mentored studies, to pitch events and more. Without a doubt, I encourage all prospective students (and current) to consider the opportunities in entrepreneurship that lie at Fuqua and to embrace these chances whenever they pop up. Even if you aren’t what you consider the perfect image of an entrepreneur (I’m imagining some San Francisco street style, Allbirds included), there’s a pathway for you at Fuqua to test out your ideas and take them to the next level.

This originally appeared on CEI’s blog on October 22, 2020/

The post The Highs and Lows of Entrepreneurship During Business School appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: 3 of My Favorite Professors

The faculty at Fuqua is a highlight of the MBA experience. We have a number of thought leaders in a variety of different industries who all bring a unique perspective to the classroom. Our faculty are involved in the community outside of the classroom as well, partaking in club events, lunch and learns, Fuqua Fridays, and much more!

Here are a few of my favorite professors that I had the chance to experience during my time at Fuqua.

Gavan Fitzsimons – Marketing

One of the most well-known professors at Fuqua, Gavan teaches a class favorited by many second-year students called Consumer Behavior. This class, and much of Gavin’s research, focuses on understanding the way consumers are influenced subconsciously. His Consumer Behavior class gives students the opportunity to learn about his past and current research and in each class, students are challenged to develop business applications of said research. It is an extremely unique learning environment and a class that sticks with students as a highlight of their Fuqua experience.

Aaron “Ronnie” Chatterji – Strategy

Ronnie previously worked as a senior economist at the White House Council of Economic Advisors and ran for Treasurer of North Carolina this year. He has taken his interest and experience in politics and developed a course that addresses the intersection of business with social and political issues. His Advanced Corporate Strategy course is now seen as a must-take by most students and is focused on “preparing you for your last job, not your first.” Students view it as one of the most thought-provoking and essential courses to help prepare for future leadership roles.

David Robinson – Finance

David serves as a scientific advisor to the Swedish House of Finance in Stockholm, the Private Equity Research Council, and the Private Capital Research Institute. He’s also involved with the Private Equity club here at Fuqua and is extremely available to students interested in this space. As a leader in the fields of private equity, venture capital, and entrepreneurial finance, David teaches a number of finance courses at Fuqua. I was lucky to have him as a professor for Venture Capital & Private Equity—a topic I had very little experience in prior to the class. David is an extremely knowledgeable and personable presenter, and his sense of humor makes the content of the course more relatable and easier to retain. Not to mention, he is truly an expert in his field.

The post 3 of My Favorite Professors appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Balancing My Extracurricular Commitments

Fuqua provides an endless list of extracurricular commitments students can get involved with during their MBA. There are opportunities to build leadership experience, serve the community, develop personal skills, and much, much more! Often times your first year is spent experiencing a wide variety of these opportunities, and your second year is focused on a shorter list of areas where you’d like to ‘dive deeper.’

Getting your MBA provides an opportunity to explore different interests and build on existing skills. The challenge is weighing the desire to be busy and explore new opportunities with maintaining a healthy balance in your life. For many students, this is a struggle, myself included! Here are three of my main extracurricular commitments during second year and how I worked to balance them.

Marketing Club Co-President

As one of the co-presidents of Fuqua’s professional clubs, you are responsible for overseeing the club’s events, resources, and sponsorships. Together with your co-president and cabinet, you build a strategy for the organization to ensure that the right opportunities are provided to club members. This role is a great way to get leadership experience and give back to the school. For me, I relied heavily on my cabinet members to be successful. This was a great lesson in leadership and delegation because there is simply not time to do it all. 

Board of Visitors Student Representative

Each year, two students are selected to sit on Fuqua’s Board of Visitors (BOV) as student representatives of their class. These student reps are charged with being the voice of the students in advising the BOV and administration on important matters. At each board meeting, we host a student panel to address a key topic pertinent to the student body. We spend about three months preparing for this panel by conducting student interviews, preparing our presentation, and working closely with the administration.

FCCP Fellow

Fellows for Fuqua’s Client Consulting Practicum (FCCP) are second-year students who make a year-long commitment to assisting first-year students who are enrolled in the program. As fellows, we are responsible for client diligence, mentorship to our teams, and recruiting student participants. In this position, I learned the importance of communicating often with my teams to stay informed. Keeping myself informed allowed me to prioritize when I needed to step in and when the teams could manage on their own, which allowed me to balance my workload accordingly.

While it is challenging to balance a variety of commitments, it is absolutely possible to engage in everything you want while still maintaining time for personal activities like recruiting and socializing. As you can see with my primary commitments, I learned how to delegate, prioritize, and stretch my focus across various areas. This allowed me to get the personal growth experiences I wanted during my two years at Fuqua while still having time for recruiting, building relationships, and classes.

The post Balancing My Extracurricular Commitments appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Where Duke MBA Grads Landed Jobs in the Pandemic is Only Part of the Story

Every year about this time, I enjoy sharing our annual [url=https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/documents/programs/employment_report_2020.pdf]employment report[/url], because it generates interesting discussions about where and how our graduates are making an impact.  While I look forward to conversations about our 2020 stats, what’s most important are the individuals whose career journeys comprise these numbers. More on that later. In the meantime, here are five headlines from our 2019 – 2020 report. 

1. Our graduates enjoyed strong employment rates despite difficult conditions.

The percentage of students receiving full-time offers by graduation was up six points from last year, at 90 percent. Because recruiting slowed dramatically in the spring and summer, the final rate of 93 percent with offers by the three-month, post-graduation mark is down from 2019. These outcomes are remarkable in the context of global hiring freezes and layoffs prompted by the pandemic. 

2. Compensation was up slightly over last year.

Average first-year compensation reached an all-time high at $171,000. This figure represents a 3 percent increase from 2019, with a slight rise in mean salary to $136,000 and a 7.5 percent jump in signing bonus to $35,000.

3. Despite visa uncertainty, international students landed U.S. jobs.

From 2015 – 2019, the percentage of graduates accepting jobs in the United States ranged from 89 percent – 92 percent. For the Class of 2020, that number was even higher at 94 percent.

Navigating employer visa sponsorship and cultural differences always adds complexity for international students seeking post-graduation jobs in the United States. This year brought new complications– visa delays caused by pandemic shutdowns, job market disruption, and rumored and actual changes to U.S. immigration policy. Success in the face of these challenges is even more impressive.

4. Our graduates accepted jobs in a wide array of functions, industries, and geographies.

Consulting continues to be our most popular destination by job function (33 percent) and industry (31 percent). Marketing and technology were our biggest movers, both up by four percentage points from last year. 

Employers also hire our graduates for finance (22 percent), general management (18 percent), and other important functions such as human resources and operations. While consulting and technology accounted for 58 percent of the class by industry, this year’s employers represent financial services (18 percent), health (8 percent), consumer goods (5 percent) and many other industries.

Within the U.S., our students accepted positions across the country. Top destinations for graduates to begin their new roles included New York, Seattle, Dallas, Chicago, Boston and San Francisco, among others.

5. More graduates accepted jobs found through Fuqua this year.

In a year when all campus activity, including recruiting, came to an abrupt halt mid-year, one might think students were on their own finding a job. To the contrary, Fuqua served as the employment source for 80 percent of accepted full-time jobs among 2020 graduates, up from 73 percent for the Class of 2019, with a higher rate of 84 percent for 2021 interns.

As the world changed around us, our career team quickly found new ways to provide and deliver [url=https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/programs/daytime-mba/career-development]career suppor[/url]t and helped our students find and go to work during a global pandemic. What didn’t change, though, was the philosophy that every student deserves meaningful work and the commitment we share with students to reaching their goals.

Two common threads are woven through the many success stories in the Class of 2020. First, our students had an unrelenting focus and commitment to land in a particular type of role, company, or location. This approach may have seemed counter-intuitive amid news of hiring freezes and massive layoffs. Conventional wisdom might have sounded something like “take any job you can get.”  Yet, our career coaches were extremely impressed that our students continued to focus on the fit best for them.

Second, so many of our graduates made significant career transitions, whether by function, industry, geography – or sometimes all three – despite difficult market conditions. From grant writer to tech product manager. From economic development in another country to the music industry in the U.S. From professional lacrosse to private equity. From special events at the White House to impact consulting at a certified B Corp. From lawyer to McKinsey consultant. From a mid-Atlantic university to a California consumer foods company. From piloting Apache helicopters for the U.S. Army to strategizing M&A transaction execution for EY-Parthenon.

It’s successes like these, especially in a year as turbulent as 2020, that bring the numbers in our employment report to life. We believe when students find work they define as meaningful, it not only makes their lives better, it makes companies better. More than ever, the world needs the types of graduates we produce at Fuqua – leaders who know how to embrace differences to work toward a common goal.

I look forward to learning how each graduate in the Class of 2020 will impact their companies, communities, and even the world.  To me, that is always the most important story the numbers alone can’t tell.

The post [url=https://blogs.fuqua.duke.edu/duke-mba/2020/12/15/sheryle-dirks/where-duke-mba-grads-landed-jobs-in-the-pandemic-is-only-part-of-the-story]Where Duke MBA Grads Landed Jobs in the Pandemic is Only Part of the Story[/url] appeared first on [url=https://blogs.fuqua.duke.edu/duke-mba]Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog[/url].
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Preparing for Disruption: Technological Transformation of Business

This past year, Fuqua launched a new set of core summer term introductory courses. One class was Technological Transformation of Business, which discussed how technology and specific companies revolutionized and disrupted markets, institutions, businesses, and ultimately, society.

Due to the pandemic, it was a hybrid class, meaning it was both online and in-person, depending on your preference. My MBA Class of 2022 got to be the guinea pigs of both that format and the actual course content—meaning a class that was already impactful in its first iteration will only get better from here!

It was fascinating to learn about a range of topics from automation at Tesla to 3D printing at different manufacturing plants. The course taught us how to think critically about the consequences (both good and bad) of a specific technology and its implications on a business or industry. We even learned about how the skills required for operating and making decisions for a tech firm are fundamentally different than other non-tech businesses. For example, in the class, we discussed the skills that Amazon needed to sell Kindle books and how they varied from the skills of Barnes & Noble to sell physical books. Another example is when we discussed the situational pros and cons of 3D printing, as opposed to typical large-scale manufacturing.

A single, seemingly small technology can disrupt or even create entire industries. One of the most interesting topics in the course for me was how Big Tech companies, like Google, create an ecosystem through positive network interactions between their customers, advertisers, and content creators. If you don’t know much about the examples or topics that I just mentioned—I know I didn’t before coming to Fuqua!—then the class is perfect for you. The professors taught the content in a digestible, easy-to-learn format. Coming from a non-tech background, I learned so much.

The class proved really helpful as I pursue an internship in tech. It gave me a foundational understanding of the industry and evolution of businesses, along with their business models. It also gave me an idea of what skills are valuable in the industry. Overall, the class prepared me for interviews, gave me better critical-thinking skills, and trained me for an internship in tech (hopefully…it’s interview season right now!).

For anyone who is interested in tech, Fuqua is an incredible school and is putting an emphasis on the industry. And it shows. Fuqua sends a huge number of students and alumni into the industry, whether it be product management, operations, marketing, or some other function. The Technological Transformation of Business class is just another piece of how Fuqua is preparing its students for careers in that field.

The post Preparing for Disruption: Technological Transformation of Business appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: The 3 Most Valuable Lessons I Learned as a Social Entrepreneur

When I started my MBA, I couldn’t have been more excited about being a social entrepreneur. I have always wanted to create an impact, and I was looking forward to leveraging all the resources available at Fuqua to build an impactful company. Needless to say that an entrepreneur’s life is not all roses, and I learned a lifetime of lessons in this journey. Here are a few I think everyone should know at the beginning.

1. Have your business plan AND your personal plan.

I cannot underline enough the importance of having a business plan in place. Don’t get trapped in the idea of “let’s try it and see what happens.”

In addition, what most people don’t realize is that entrepreneurship requires a tremendous amount of your time. If you have a partner or a family, having time to dedicate yourself to the company can be even more challenging. Before starting this journey, understand the impact of entrepreneurship in your professional and personal life and have a “personal plan” in place. It might be that now is not the best moment to go for it.

2. Understand what the impact is you want to create, and fight for it.

My goal for the company was always clear: to help women in at-risk situations become financially independent. I wanted to give them a work opportunity by sourcing 100 percent of the manufacturing for my company’s products from this group. As I started working I realized that finding and training this workforce was more challenging than I initially thought. Due to the seasonality of my product, sticking to this value would mean losing the first high-demand season for it.

I knew that a market test with real products would leverage my learning curve about the industry and the market, so I decided to make a concession and work with “ethical” suppliers (who pay living wages and provide good working conditions to all employees). My point was that brands should not keep all the profits from the fashion industry while workers live below the poverty line. If you look at the numbers, this is a relevant impact, but it was not the initial one I was looking for. Sometimes you have to make concessions, but make sure you have a plan to go back to what is essential to you as a social entrepreneur—to your “why.”

3. Have a partner who will not always agree with you.

Finding a co-founder is challenging. You need someone who believes in the same “why,” someone as committed as you, someone who you like to work with, and the requirements list keeps growing. But if you have to pick a single attribute in a partner, it must be someone who doesn’t agree with you all the time. Fruitful discussions lead to idea improvement, and you will not have them by talking to people who just say “yes” all the time. Business school is the perfect environment to find someone who disagrees with you and gives you reasons to rethink your boundaries to advance your ideas.

All in all, being a social entrepreneur was one of my favorite experiences at Fuqua. I learned not only valuable lessons but also made powerful connections. As such, I strongly recommend all students to have some entrepreneurial experience during their time at Fuqua. And take advantage of the valuable resources, such as the Center for the Advancement of Social Entrepreneurship, the Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, and the Duke MBA Net Impact Club to support you in this journey.

The post The 3 Most Valuable Lessons I Learned as a Social Entrepreneur appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Becoming My Best Self at Fuqua

My journey at Fuqua was not linear. I moved from Brazil to the United States specifically to join Fuqua. I’ve experienced all the feelings and struggles international students usually go through when pursuing their MBA. Just when I thought things were becoming more comfortable, a global pandemic happened.

In the beginning, just like everyone else, I was terrified and anxious about the uncertainty of it all. We spent a great deal of time (and still do) unsure of what will happen next. I’m still uncertain of when I’ll be able to see my family again.

Still, on countless occasions, I’ve noticed a genuine effort from many people to connect, to reach out and to check in on others. I saw unions rising out of hardship. That has greatly impacted my MBA experience because it made me engage more in the many opportunities available here at Fuqua. It made me think about how I could make a difference with my time here in Durham, and it made me considerably more intentional in meeting and reaching out to people. Having the support of this community makes things much better and I feel very fortunate and proud to be a part of this fantastic group of people! In short, the Fuqua community has helped me to become my best self.

Finding Purpose in Hardship

I was encouraged by others to be even more intentional in my actions when I realized we were going through such hard times together. I tried to think about how I could make things a little easier for both me and my community. I couldn’t change what was happening, so I began to think about what I could do.

I created the Summer Programming, which was a set of academic, professional and social events organized to help people stay engaged and healthy all summer long. From this experience, I saw the best in my community. With so many people volunteering to help, I noticed many partnerships between students and members of the administration.

The reason behind getting involved was because I’ve always been so inspired and supported as an international student by the strength of this group. And I felt it was my time to step up. It was in such difficult times that we all grew together, and that I also had one of the best moments of my entire MBA experience. This community helped me find purpose when we all needed guidance. I grew tremendously and I really feel we became even stronger together during these past months.

The Impact of the Fuqua Community in My Growth

Having the support of the Fuqua community helped me understand my strengths and use them for the common good, while also developing myself (big shout out to my wonderful learning team that always pushed me into speaking when I felt insecure about my public speaking skills in English). I took risks and developed initiatives because I felt supported and reinforced each step of the way.

I feel incredibly fortunate for having had the opportunity to be a part of the Fuqua family throughout this tumultuous year. This feeling of belonging didn’t stem simply from the leadership opportunities I had, but mainly because of the collective development that occurred.

During a time when the world was experiencing so much social and economic unrest, we came together to discuss challenging issues and ask each other difficult questions. There was always respect and a willingness to learn and teach.

July 23rd, 2020 – A screenshot of the First Year/Second Year mixer that happened over Zoom

As co-president of the Latin American Student Association, I had to be active in making the community (including new students) feel welcome and integrated, while at the same time witnessing how the crisis was affecting our home countries. This was an incredible task made easier with the support from our domestic classmates. By having this safe space for these interactions, and because of the overwhelming decency displayed by this community, we entered a cycle of improvement. We listened together, made mistakes together and learned together—all with the grace that this process requires.

I feel more proud each day to be a part of this group that I already consider a family. And I wouldn’t have gone through this year with anyone else.

The post Becoming My Best Self at Fuqua appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Beyond a Safe Space: Empowering LGBTQ+ Students

I remember visiting Fuqua for the first time during Pride Weekend, an event for LGBTQ+ prospective students hosted by Admissions and Fuqua Pride. I had been researching business schools for a couple years, and after a while, all the top schools seemed the same. They touted rigorous academics, global experiences, and expansive alumni networks. I needed something that would cut through the sound bites and similarities to know whether or not I, an openly gay individual, would belong.

Coming from Washington, D.C., I was accustomed to a professional network and social circle centered on LGBTQ+ organizations, sports leagues, and social clubs. I felt secure with my comfortable, close-knit queer community. Based on what I had read about “Team Fuqua” and the “Fuqua Family,” I figured that the school had a strong and loyal community similar to the one I had carved out for myself in D.C. Still, I recognized that I would be attending business school in the South and needed to know that the Fuqua Community included people like me.

During Pride Weekend, I met current students and alumni who showed me that despite my initial trepidation, Fuqua and Durham would be safe spaces to welcome me exactly as I am. I saw myself represented in current students and alumni who volunteered to take time out of their busy lives to share their experiences as LGBTQ+ members of the Fuqua community. I noticed that not only were LGBTQ+ students treated like everyone else, they were respected and valued and among the leaders in the school.

Moreover, the effort and expense by Admissions to host LGBTQ+ students from all over the world for a weekend proved that Fuqua recognized the value of diversity and the unique perspectives that we as queer people bring to the school. We were actively sought out to join the Fuqua Family.

As special as the weekend was, what solidified my reasons for attending Fuqua happened well after I returned home to D.C. Like every other business school applicant, I pored over GMAT prep books, agonized over essays, and went cross-eyed making sure my resume was perfectly formatted. Throughout the arduous application process, the current students and alumni I met during Pride Weekend gave me notes on my resume, read over every word of my essays, and championed me as I walked into my admissions interview. These people had no real incentive to help me, an applicant who may not even be admitted. Still, they demonstrated a care and concern for me that proved this Team Fuqua stuff was not just marketing on glossy brochures and manicured websites.

Now that I’m a first-year student, I see the Team Fuqua spirit every single day, particularly in Fuqua Pride, the community that initially brought me here. When I decided to apply for internships during the Reaching Out MBA (ROMBA) conference, it was members of Fuqua Pride who made sure my resume and cover letters were ready, who were first to help me with case prep, who offered words of encouragement when I didn’t get an internship, and who celebrated me when I finally did.

The support I’ve had from Fuqua Pride and our allies in the student body and the administration proves day after day that I made the right decision in coming to Fuqua. I’m honored to be a part of a community that goes beyond offering LGBTQ+ people tolerance and acceptance to offering empowerment and belonging.

The post Beyond a Safe Space: Empowering LGBTQ+ Students appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Engaging Fuqua’s Supportive Minority Community at Workshop Weekend

As a prospective student, I had the opportunity to attend the Duke MBA Workshop weekend for minority applicants. Since 1982, this weekend is a yearly tradition designed to offer prospective students from underrepresented populations a chance to learn about the overall MBA experience and Fuqua community.

School fit was an essential criterion when evaluating which school would be the best choice for me. Thus, attending the Workshop was a crucial step in my search process. Throughout the weekend, I was able to get a real sense of Fuqua’s overall community and specifically, the minority community through personalized student engagement and alumni connection points.

Preparing for such an in-depth event as a prospective student can be an intimidating process. I knew I would have the opportunity to meet a wide variety of students, engage with alumni, and have my official admissions interview that’s part of the application process. This was a bit stressful in thought. However, Fuqua’s practice of having a current student buddy assigned to meet me even before I hit campus to answer any questions removed the stress. My buddy was recruiting in the same industry that I intended to work in post-MBA, involved in the clubs that I wanted to join, and even attended my college alma mater. I could tell the Black and Latino MBA Organization (BLMBAO) students who served as hosts for the Workshop were very thoughtful and intentional in the buddy assignments. Following a day full of events and information, my buddy took time out of her evening to help prepare me for my interview the next day, ultimately allowing me to perform with confidence.

The alumni were also a unique element of the Workshop. From my interactions with them throughout the weekend, it was clear that they were very invested in giving back and engaging with us as prospective students. An alumnus, who came from a marketing background, sought me out during the evening dinner to connect on my career journey and discuss opportunities within the industry in the future. I could feel a sense of authenticity within our engagement as she discussed her journey and challenged me to dream big. Throughout the weekend, I witnessed a wide variety of acts of genuine support from the entire Fuqua community, whether it was prospective students, current students, or alumni. 

As I am now the BLMBAO VP of Admissions, I aspire to embody the pay-it-forward mentality and Team Fuqua spirit. While planning the 2020 Workshop weekend, I aimed to provide the same engaging and memorable experience I had to the next group of prospective students. The Workshop encapsulates what it means to be a part of this unique community. For many like me, it helped solidify Fuqua as the right next step within my professional and personal journey. 

The post Engaging Fuqua’s Supportive Minority Community at Workshop Weekend appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Building Post-MBA Skills with the Design and Innovation Club

Have you ever wondered what all the hype is around “design thinking?” Although this playful approach to problem-solving has been around for decades, it really started to gain popularity in the past 10 years. These days, “design thinking” (or “human-centered design”) is a term that is embraced by the corporate world. Learn more about the history of design thinking, here

About the Duke MBA Design + Innovation Club 

We are a student-led, professional club that focuses on helping Fuquans hone their design thinking skills, and on making the connection between these skills and post-MBA careers. 

Here at Fuqua, we believe that design thinking is a fun, creative way to answer questions, design products, and ideate process improvements. We strive to introduce these skills and provide a fun environment in which to practice them. Our belief is that every industry—from health care to tech and everything in between—can benefit from the fresh perspective that design thinking brings to the table.

A Dell ideation session in 2019

Some of our club events include: 

• Introduction to Design Thinking. This event is led by the renowned Professor Robert Twiss of Duke’s Pratt School of Engineering. Professor Twiss walks us through the core tenets of design thinking and an exercise that allows us to apply what we’ve learned to a real-world problem. 
  • Career Upskilling. This is a series of events designed to teach human-centered design skills. Topics include things like A/B testing, conducting user interviews, and more! 
  • Ethical Tech Workshop. This event is led by Kat Zhou, the creator of Design Ethically. Participants learn how to evaluate ethical issues in tech—from biased algorithms to smartphone addiction to data ownership—and how to avoid unintended consequences. 
  • Design Summit. The inaugural Design Summit is coming in 2021! This event will bring leaders from across all industries together to talk about how their respective industries and companies value design thinking. 

The ethical workshop with Kat Zhou in 2019

Can the Club Help Me Find a Career in Design Thinking? 

Traditionally, careers in design thinking were limited to the ‘big names’ in design consulting (like IDEO and Frog). While these firms introduced design thinking to the masses, companies across all industries are increasingly interested in hiring people with these skills. Our club’s goal is to help students who are interested in this space prepare for and navigate their career search. Our careers cabinet is primarily focused on supporting club members throughout this process. 

What Our Members Are Saying

“Early on in my internship, I ran an ideation and prioritization session with my team to determine what I should work on for the remainder of the summer. Afterward, I got feedback that the team was impressed with my structured way of thinking to frame a question and then work my way down to get to the answer. Design thinking skills and the practice that I got with the Design + Innovation Club helped ensure that I made an impact during the internship!” 

– Catherine Bhattachar, MBA Intern at IQVIA, Strategic Partnerships and Pricing

“My favorite Design + Innovation event last year was the ‘Intro to A/B testing’ session. This session—which was focused on UI/UX design, defining key success metrics, and the basics of A/B hypothesis testing—was instrumental in providing me with a better high-level understanding of how to approach product innovation and in introducing me to several tools and methodologies to aid with design. Both of which I put to good use during my internship!” 

– Michael Gilkenson, MBA Product Manager Intern at Microsoft

Want to Learn More?

If you are considering pursuing an MBA at Fuqua and are interested in learning more about the Design + Innovation club, please reach out here

An ideation session with Fuqua’s Association of Women in Business in 2019
The post Building Post-MBA Skills with the Design and Innovation Club appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Being a Woman at Fuqua

One of my favorite stories is Jamaica Kincaid’s “Girl,” for reasons probably different from what the author had intended. I had lived and worked in spaces where sentences too often began with, “Women should do this,” or “A woman cannot.”

That story is a reminder to brace myself when someone starts a sentence with, “Women should…” Getting an MBA was an act of positive rebellion. I wanted to, but somehow, I knew I also had to. For me, and for others after. Choosing the right business school was even more pertinent to the success of this ‘rebellion.’

I like to joke that my business school journey would make a perfect entry for, “How not to prepare for business school.” In July of 2018, I made the decision, wrote the GMAT in December, and applied to schools in October.

I chose Fuqua for many reasons, the most compelling of which is the Fuqua community. The turning point for me was attending the Women’s Leadership Weekend in November 2018 (which, of course, I found out about and applied to only two hours before the deadline).

Women’s Leadership Weekend, 2018

Of the 150-plus women in attendance that weekend, I had traveled the farthest—all the way from Nigeria. But here was my tribe. I cannot explain in words how that weekend changed my perspective. Right there, I knew that I wanted to be a part of helping women find all the spaces where they belong. I want to push opportunities their way because I believe that awareness is half the battle and providing the support necessary to reach these professional goals was one of my main objectives.

It is important for me to fulfill the promises I make to myself. It is doubly vital when those promises involve bettering others. So I knew that I had to be part of the Association of Women in Business (AWIB). AWIB tries to cater to the many layers of support that women at Fuqua require, including guiding a community of women, charting international careers and perspectives, conventional and unconventional career paths, male allies and their much-needed support, and much more.

In my role as VP of Careers and Mentorship, (with my excellent cabinet) I strive to provide support and opportunities across all areas, but with a focus on emphasizing and uplifting non-traditional roles and careers.

Some of our biggest challenges have been getting people to realize that AWIB is another touchpoint for career opportunities, actively curating opportunities and events beyond the most commonly pursued career paths, and utilizing the network built over the years outside the U.S.

The goal is to consistently demonstrate that AWIB encompasses every woman who has shown up to Fuqua, regardless of background, color, proposed career and any other intersectionality.

As with everything related to 2020, COVID-19 changed many things. Much of the business school experience is premised on contact and communication, usually in person. It became more important than ever to innovate and be dynamic in creating events and opportunities up to par or even better than what we experienced, pre-COVID.

It was hard for the first few months because everyone was Zoomed out! I could now argue that some of the events we held virtually gave us more than what we expected. Maybe because there was a kind of intentionality, resilience and camaraderie that only comes from a sense of having survived, and continuing to survive together.

Despite everything, there have been many successes. In 2020, we had more attendees than ever at the Women’s Leadership Weekend because the virtual option broke attendance barriers for women across the world.

Attendees at the 2020 Women’s Leadership Weekend

Going forward, this is something we know we have to make room for. More corporate sponsors have shown up and are putting in the work to ensure that women MBAs are aware of all the opportunities available. The Daytime MBA class of 2022 is made up of 46 percent women!

Of course, a lot of this has been possible with male allies and allies across multiple groups. Remember my three-month shotgun business school process? Throughout that journey, it was men who pushed me, from school shortlists to essay reviews and recommendation letters.

Of course, this is not every woman’s story, but it is mine and that of many others at Fuqua. The role that male allies played in showing up for women and actively placing them in opportunity zones was clear.

Here at Fuqua, it is a blessing to say that I do not go around consciously being reminded that I’m a woman. I do not feel that this is erasure or othering, but more an impartial weighing of your experience, opinions and decisions. I’m grateful and thankful that we show up and do what is necessary when it is essential to center women.

There will always be more work because the world is evolving, and women-related issues may not stay the same. But here at Fuqua, we’re loudly and actively pushing for the change we want to see.

The post Being a Woman at Fuqua appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts