Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:24 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 162
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 363 [0]
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V45
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Completely missed the mark, retake worth it? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
andrekh98 wrote:
Official Mock #3 660 (Q45, V34)
Official Mock #4 700 (Q48, V37)
Official Mock #5 710 (Q49, V37)
Official Mock #6 730 (Q47, V44)

Hi andrekh98, by any chance, did you get repeat questions when you were giving official mocks (and hence, your scores in official mocks might have been inflated)?

The kind of score drop that you witnessed in your exam is just phenomenal. I can only imagine what you are going through right now. As others have also asked, were you extraordinarily nervous in the exam? What, according to you, went so amiss in the exam?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
chrtpmdr wrote:
Hey - don't get discouraged too fast! What I see in your scores is that they are quite volatile. You jumped from a V37 to a V44 but never replicated such high verbal score again, am I right? Same goes for the quant part.

Were you super nervous during the test? I feel like you are jumping too fast into tests, considering that your first test day was only in July.

Hey thanks for your response! With regards to verbal, I scored a 42 on the GMATclub test (don’t know how comparable it is to the real exam) after the mock. For quant I typically score from 47-49, I think anything above that I can attribute to repeat questions or luck.

I think my nerves were quite steady for the third exam, probably boarder line cocky. For the second exam I was definitely incredibly nervous. If I’m honest, I booked my last exam because I was certain I would improve my score and was also sick of studying.

Do you think I should give it another go soon? Or wait a few months?

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
andrekh98 wrote:

Given the difference between your actual scores and your score goal, getting to your score goal is probably going to take a few more months.

Also, what you are doing to prepare for verbal has not been working. Something has to change, or you won't see an increase in your verbal score.

One thing you should be aware of is that some verbal preparation materials prepare you for the GMAT Prep practice tests but not for the GMAT itself. So, the difference between your practice test scores and your actual scores may be the result of that phenomenon.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi andrekh98,

I understand why you are frustrated but the good news is that if you can do such great things on official practice exams, I KNOW you can do the same thing on the actual GMAT. I'm going to PM you now, so we can chat and get you on the right track moving forward.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
andrekh98 wrote:

Given the difference between your actual scores and your score goal, getting to your score goal is probably going to take a few more months.

Also, what you are doing to prepare for verbal has not been working. Something has to change, or you won't see an increase in your verbal score.

One thing you should be aware of is that some verbal preparation materials prepare you for the GMAT Prep practice tests but not for the GMAT itself. So, the difference between your practice test scores and your actual scores may be the result of that phenomenon.

How would you recommend I study going forward? I've burned through all my official mocks, all I have left are the GMAT Club mocks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi andrekh98,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. In addition, the 'swings' in your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on your last two attempts imply that you might be 'winging it' during your Tests (meaning that you do not utilize a series of consistent Tactics and you're treating a certain percentage of the questions on a case-by-case basis). Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) Over the last 3 months, how many hours did you typically study each week?
2) Have you used any other study materials besides the two courses that you mentioned?
3) Over the last 3 months, on what approximate dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

If you took your most recent GMAT at a Test Center, then you might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi andrekh98,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. In addition, the 'swings' in your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on your last two attempts imply that you might be 'winging it' during your Tests (meaning that you do not utilize a series of consistent Tactics and you're treating a certain percentage of the questions on a case-by-case basis). Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) Over the last 3 months, how many hours did you typically study each week?
2) Have you used any other study materials besides the two courses that you mentioned?
3) Over the last 3 months, on what approximate dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

If you took your most recent GMAT at a Test Center, then you might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your questions, I appreciate the help

1) I typically studied 2-3 hours a day in the months leading up to the exam, several weeks prior to the exam I decreased it to about 1-1.5 hours as I was constrained with work

2)Yes I’ve actually used quite a few study materials. After my first GMAT I used Powerscore for CR, and OG 2020 for practice questions. I also downloaded the error log from this website.

3) Each of my mocks and CATs are listed above, from memory they were spaced 2 to 3 weeks apart from one another.

4) My goal score is a minimum of 720, with a minimum quant score of 48.

5) Good question and the answer to that depends on graduate recruitment this year. If I can land a job in the banking/financial services area, then I will be making applications in about 2 to 3 years. However, if I strike out with graduate applications then I’ll be applying ASAP. Ideally it would be the former. My target Business Schools are Imperial College London, HEC Paris and LSE.

I have the ESRs to both my test centre scores, I’ll attach them once I’ve reached my 5 post minimum

Thanks again!

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37312 posts