Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:06 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [15]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [6]
Given Kudos: 821
GPA: 3.93
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 202 [2]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V28
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 681 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: Although most builders do not consider the experimental building [#permalink]
Kudos
Although most builders do not consider the experimental building material papercrete to be a promising material for large-scale construction, those who regularly work with it, primarily on small-scale projects, think otherwise(i.e. promising material).
Conclusion - Since those who regularly use papercrete are familiar with the properties of the material, it is likely that papercrete is indeed promising for large-scale construction.

Thus, the conclusion says that papercrete is indeed promising for large-scale construction, because builders who primarily work on small-scale projects work with it and think so. This is the major flaw. This belief should have come from the builders who work on large-scale rather.

(A) confuses what is promising for small-scale construction with what is promising for large-scale construction
This looks correct because this belief should have come from the builders who work on large-scale rather.
(B) presumes that what the majority of builders thinks is promising must in fact be promising
No question on the fact of being the material promising .
(C) equivocates between two different meanings of the term, "promising"
No two meanings of promising suggested.
(D) does not consider the views of the builders who have the most experience working with the material
We don't even know it.
(E) fails to consider that most builders might not regularly use papercrete precisely because they are familiar with its properties.
We can't infer from the argument.

IMO A
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [2]
Given Kudos: 821
GPA: 3.93
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Although most builders do not consider the experimental building [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
For me its clearly E.

Reasoning author uses to extrapolate small-scale builders thoughts on large-scale builders thoughts is that scale-scale guys are familiar with the material.

So essentially it implies that since small scale guys are familiar with the material "because they use it daily", it is good.
It wrongly assumes that the large scales guys DO NOT use the material because they ARE NOT FAMILIAR with the material. However, it might very likely be the case that these large scale guys DO NOT use the material because they have already tried it and they hate it. Essentially what E says.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39 (Online)
Send PM
Saasingh wrote:
For me its clearly E.

Reasoning author uses to extrapolate small-scale builders thoughts on large-scale builders thoughts is that scale-scale guys are familiar with the material.

So essentially it implies that since small scale guys are familiar with the material "because they use it daily", it is good.
It wrongly assumes that the large scales guys DO NOT use the material because they ARE NOT FAMILIAR with the material. However, it might very likely be the case that these large scale guys DO NOT use the material because they have already tried it and they hate it. Essentially what E says.

Although I initially marked A as I got confused in the wordings of option E, I could later understand why E is the correct choice.
Also, can you help me explain how to eliminate option A?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [1]
Given Kudos: 163
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
Saasingh wrote:
sssanskaar wrote:
Saasingh wrote:
For me its clearly E.

Although I initially marked A as I got confused in the wordings of option E, I could later understand why E is the correct choice.
Also, can you help me explain how to eliminate option A?

Although most builders do not consider the experimental building material papercrete to be a promising material for large-scale construction, those who regularly work with it, primarily on small-scale projects, think otherwise. Since those who regularly use papercrete are familiar with the properties of the material, it is likely that papercrete is indeed promising for large-scale construction.

The argument is most vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it

(A) confuses what is promising for small-scale construction with what is promising for large-scale construction

Hey, glad to help.

See the essence of the argument needs to be deconstructed because both A and E are extremely close and subtle.

Although most builders do not consider the experimental building material papercrete to be a promising material for large-scale construction, those who regularly work with it, primarily on small-scale projects, think otherwise.
Author here states some difference of opinion between 2 groups.

Since those who regularly use papercrete are familiar with the properties of the material, it is likely that papercrete is indeed promising for large-scale construction.
And here, the author provides the reasoning for that difference.

Now in such vulnerability questions, we need to find a flaw in the reasoning. So just focus on the latter sentence : Since those who regularly use papercrete are familiar with the properties of the material, it is likely that papercrete is indeed promising for large-scale construction..

Clearly the flaw is the assumption in E as the essence of his reasoning is the "familiarity with the properties of material". So, he assumes the large scale guys are NOT familiar.

On the other hand, in option A = (confuses what is promising for small-scale construction with what is promising for large-scale construction), I mean, that is not the essence of the passage. Option A is something I treat as a very generic statement. He does confuse it to be honest. And yes he does say some facts about small scale guys and generalize about large scale guys based on those facts. But if you look at E, it is bang on the money. I agree option A is also somewhat true, but very vague and not specific vulnerability.
Also, is he simply confusing from small guys facts to large scale? I can clearly see a very troublesome assumption i.e. "familiarity with material". That is the primary flaw. He is very wrongly assuming that large scale guys are "not familiar".

I hope you see what A vs E is. A is very vague. E is right on the money. Honestly, A is true too. But if I see an option like E, I cannot choose A.

Regards,
Saakhi

Thanks Saasingh for making this perfectly clear to me in such an elaborate and a nice way! A is close but chooses to be in the side-lines of the issue whereas E hits the target where it hurts the most.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Although most builders do not consider the experimental building material papercrete to be a promising material for large-scale construction, those who regularly work with it, primarily on small-scale projects, think otherwise. Since those who regularly use papercrete are familiar with the properties of the material, it is likely that papercrete is indeed promising for large-scale construction.

The argument is most vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it

(A) confuses what is promising for small-scale construction with what is promising for large-scale construction - WRONG. It does not confuse in such manner rather reasoning present for that conclusion in the passage makes one get confused as this option says. The reasoning behind that conclusion is the clue to right answer but this option is not hitting the right notes as far as reasoning is concerned.

(B) presumes that what the majority of builders thinks is promising must in fact be promising - WRONG. Not at all ascertainable. Its the other way round.

(C) equivocates between two different meanings of the term, "promising" - WRONG. Not at all different in meaning.

(D) does not consider the views of the builders who have the most experience working with the material - WRONG. It does consider based on which conclusion is made.

(E) fails to consider that most builders might not regularly use papercrete precisely because they are familiar with its properties - CORRECT. The set of builders(the majority) is not the passage covers and that is where it falters.
The conclusion is underlined and the reasoning behind that is highlighted in the passage. Only A and E are contenders. A is a trap answer.

Answer E.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts