Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:12 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Modifiersx   Pronounsx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Re: Turtles, like other reptiles, can endure long fasts, in their ability [#permalink]
Hi experts, AjiteshArun GMATNinja MartyTargetTestPrep AndrewN

I have the problem to get the meaning sense that (I) Turtles can endure long fasts "BECAUSE" (II) Turtles are able to survive on weekly or monthly feedings.

For me, it seems to be (II) because (I). Does it make sense? If not, how I could improve my meaning analysis?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: Turtles, like other reptiles, can endure long fasts, in their ability [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Foi2Evei2 wrote:
Hi experts, AjiteshArun GMATNinja MartyTargetTestPrep AndrewN

I have the problem to get the meaning sense that (I) Turtles can endure long fasts "BECAUSE" (II) Turtles are able to survive on weekly or monthly feedings.

For me, it seems to be (II) because (I). Does it make sense? If not, how I could improve my meaning analysis?

Hello, Foi2Evei2. In all honesty, I think this is a type of sentence that could operate in either direction: I/II or II/I. Could a sentence aim to convey why turtles can endure long fasts? Sure. That would be a I/II structure. Could it be that a sentence would aim to explain why turtles can survive on sparse feedings, a II/I structure? That could work as well. But notice that the decision is made for us, vis-à-vis the answer choices. The latter three options adopt a I/II structure—the lack of a comma after "fasts" in (D) and (E) cues us that the because clause is commenting on or explaining the main clause. (The first two options are a garbled mess.)

Quote:
Turtles, like other reptiles, can endure long fasts, in their ability to survive on weekly or even monthly feedings; however, when food is readily available, they may eat frequently and grow very fat.

(A) fasts, in their ability to survive
(B) fasts, having their ability to survive
(C) fasts, due to having the ability of surviving
(D) fasts because they are able to survive
(E) fasts because of having the ability of surviving

With this in mind, our task is merely to select the safest, most concise, and idiomatic way of expressing that turtles can endure long fasts for some reason. Only answer choice (D) holds up on all fronts, as many have commented above. In short, you may not have to delve into meaning too much if the key decision point has already been made for you.

I hope that helps resolve your doubts. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 482
Send PM
B) fasts, due to having the ability to survive

Since many experts have cited on the nonidiomatic ability of, will changing the option B as above correct the meaning?

Posted from my mobile device
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Varane wrote:
B) fasts, due to having the ability to survive

Since many experts have cited on the nonidiomatic ability of, will changing the option B as above correct the meaning?

Posted from my mobile device

Hello Varane,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, this version of Option B would still not be correct because "due to" is only used to refer to nouns; to refer to the action of "having the ability to survive", the phrase "because of" is needed.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos