GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 17:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

Turtles, like other reptiles, can endure long fasts, in their ability

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
Turtles, like other reptiles, can endure long fasts, in their ability  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 03:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

82% (00:43) correct 18% (00:51) wrong based on 2450 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Turtles, like other reptiles, can endure long fasts, in their ability to survive on weekly or even monthly feedings; however, when food is readily available, they may eat frequently and grow very fat.

A) fasts, in their ability to survive
B) fasts, having their ability to survive
C) fasts, due to having the ability of surviving
D) fasts because they are able to survive
E) fasts because of having the ability of surviving

OG 2017 New Question

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Turtles, like other reptiles,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 11:28
Top Contributor
In their ability, having the ability or having their ability are all inferior to "are able" as per the V-A-N rule. So, D

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Most Helpful Community Reply
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Turtles, like other reptiles, can endure long fasts, in their ability  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 08:21
AbdurRakib wrote:
Turtles, like other reptiles, can endure long fasts, in their ability to survive on weekly or even monthly feedings; however, when food is readily available, they may eat frequently and grow very fat.

OG 2017 New Question

To show the reason of Turtle's survival, we need 'because'. A, B and C are out

'able to' is the correct idiom. E is out

D is the answer

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

General Discussion
Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Turtles, like other reptiles, can endure long fasts, in their ability  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 09:39
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG 2017 New Question

Answer must be (D) , reasons highlighted below -

Turtles, like other reptiles, can endure long fasts because they are able to survive on weekly or even monthly feedings; however, when food is readily available, they may eat frequently and grow very fat.

Turtles, like other reptiles, can endure long fasts because they are able to survive on weekly or even monthly feedings; however, when food is readily available, they may eat frequently and grow very fat.

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Current Student
G
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 22:35

sayantanc2k HanoiGMATtutor mcelroytutoring
The red part in options B,C and E just doesn't sound right to my ear. But, I am not able to pinpoint the error(s). Can you please help me do that.

Thank You!
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
Turtles, like other reptiles, can endure long fasts, in their ability  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Mar 2018, 07:12
Keats wrote:

sayantanc2k HanoiGMATtutor mcelroytutoring
The red part in options B,C and E just doesn't sound right to my ear. But, I am not able to pinpoint the error(s). Can you please help me do that.

Thank You!

B) “having” and “being” are awkward in general, and should normally be avoided because they are passive / wordy.
C) same as B but more wordy
E) same as C

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching worldwide since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Contact: mcelroy@post.harvard.edu (I do not respond to PMs on GMAT Club.)

...or find me on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/GMATpreparation

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 27 Jul 2016, 15:12.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 13 Mar 2018, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
G
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2016, 04:49
mcelroytutoring wrote:

B) “having” and “being” are awkward in general, and should normally be avoided because they are passive / wordy.
E) same as C

Can we think of any other reasons apart from generalising "having" and "being" as awkward. I find it really hard to eliminate such options on ground of pure logic.
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2016, 13:54
Top Contributor
Keats wrote:
mcelroytutoring wrote:

E) same as C

Can we think of any other reasons apart from generalising "having" and "being" as awkward. I find it really hard to eliminate such options on ground of pure logic.

It's not just awkward; it's also wordy and passive.

"Because of there being no other explanation, this is the best reason that I have."

vs.

"This is the best reason I have, because there is no other explanation."

I think that the 2nd choice is obviously better here.

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching worldwide since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Contact: mcelroy@post.harvard.edu (I do not respond to PMs on GMAT Club.)

...or find me on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/GMATpreparation

Intern
Intern
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2016, 02:21
Keats wrote:
Thank You!

In C & E, "ability of" is not used correctly. "ability to" is the correct usage. For B, the only reason for me is also "not sounding correct"

Thanks

Once you know the answer, it is easy to justify.

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2016, 21:52
sayantanc2k
I have a doubt here.

Normally being and having considered passive, we avoid them. Apart from this , we have ability to do something is a right idiom. ; Hence we left out with A and D.

I am not able to find any mistake in A, apart from being awkward. Had the sentence written as

In their ability to survive on weekly or even monthly feedings , Turtles, like other reptiles, can endure long ​​fasts.

Would this be still awkward to you.

What is the other error , which I am missing in A.
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2016, 10:26
mbaprep2016 wrote:
sayantanc2k
I have a doubt here.

Normally being and having considered passive, we avoid them. Apart from this , we have ability to do something is a right idiom. ; Hence we left out with A and D.

I am not able to find any mistake in A, apart from being awkward. Had the sentence written as

In their ability to survive on weekly or even monthly feedings , Turtles, like other reptiles, can endure long ​​fasts.

Would this be still awkward to you.

What is the other error , which I am missing in A.

Yes it would still be wrong. "In their ability" does not make any clear sense. Consider the following:
He can solve mathematical problems fast in his ability to analyse systematically........ this sentence does not make any clear sense.
He can solve mathematical problems fast because he is able to analyse systematically..... correct.
Director
Director
G
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 11:35
daagh wrote:
In their ability, having the ability or having their ability are all inferior to "are able" as per the V-A-N rule. So, D

Thanks for the reply and correct answer,

And for the reader i'd like to add that

VAN stands for verb > adjective > noun.It says if we are stuck between two options.in that case we should prefer verb over adjective or noun
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 16:07
Top Contributor
My two cents -

Option A reads something like this -

"in their ability to survive ..., turtles can endure long fasts". The preposition "in" seems to imply that "can endure long fasts" is part of their ability to survive. Does not make sense.

Option B -
"having their ability ..." - I think that "their" is unnecessary. It is obvious that turtles have their own ability.

Option C -
"due to" is a noun modifier. It illogically modifies "long fasts". long fasts are not due to the turtle's ability.
"ability of surviving" is not idiomatic.

Option D -
correct answer. "because" brings out the causal relationship quite clearly.

Option E -
ability of surviving is unidiomatic.

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2017, 20:25
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG 2017 New Question

look at E

"Because of doing" involved a hard point of grammar which I dont want to explain here. it take many words to explain this wrong pattern. because the use of doing as participle and gerund is hard to apply.

for simplicity, we can memorize a hard and fast rule. use this rule without considering meaning

"because of+doing+direct object"
is alway wrong on gmat.

because of learning English well , I pass gmat

this is wrong .

so, choice E is wrong.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 08:10
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

To express why turtles can endure long fasts— their ability to survive on only occasional feedings—it is clearer and more idiomatic to use because than to use in or having. Also, the noun ability here requires to introducing a noun phrase denoting the nature of the ability.
A In does not express the causal relationship clearly, whereas because does.
B Having does not express the causal relationship clearly.
C Ability of is incorrect; ability must be followed by to in order to express the intended meaning. Due to having the ability is awkward, nonstandard, and unnecessarily wordy.
D Correct. is option uses because to express the causal relation and uses to after ability.
E Ability of is incorrect; ability must be followed by to in order to express the intended meaning. Because of having the ability is awkward, nonstandard, and unnecessarily wordy.
e correct answer is D.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
Schools: XLRI"20
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.53
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 23:07
D) fasts because they are able to survive (correct)

Hope this helps
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2018, 09:30
Hello Everyone!

Let's take a closer look at this question to get to the correct answer quickly! Before we dive in, here is the original question, with major differences highlighted in orange:

While it looks like the bulk of each option is different, there are a couple things we can focus on to narrow down our options:

1. ability to survive / ability of surviving
2. because / due to / in having

Since #1 on our list will eliminate 2-3 options quickly, let's start there!

Whenever we talk about someone's ability + action, we MUST use the idiomatic phrase "ability TO" or "able TO." In English, we do not say that someone has the "ability OF" anything. Let's figure out which options use this correctly, and eliminate the ones who don't:

A) fasts, in their ability to survive --> OK
B) fasts, having their ability to survive --> OK
C) fasts, due to having the ability of surviving --> WRONG
D) fasts because they are able to survive --> OK
E) fasts because of having the ability of surviving --> WRONG

There you go - we can eliminate options C & E because they don't use the correct format "ability TO." This was a quick way to knock a couple options off the list!

Now, let's tackle #2 on this list, which is how to best show the intended meaning. If you read carefully, we're looking at a cause/effect relationship:

Cause: Turtles can survive on weekly or monthly feedings.
Effect: Turtles can endure long periods of fasting.

Since the ability to survive on weekly or monthly feedings is a REASON for them enduring fasts, we need to make sure the wording shows this clearly and without being overly wordy. Here is how the remaining options stack up:

This is INCORRECT because it doesn't clearly state that living on weekly and monthly feedings is a REASON for why they can endure fasting periods. It almost sounds like the sentence is saying it's typical for them to endure fasting because they ALWAYS have to live with weekly or monthly feedings, which isn't true.

This is INCORRECT because it also doesn't clearly show that this sentence is presenting a REASON why turtles can withstand fasting periods. It also sounds awkward and overly wordy, which is a red flag on the GMAT that the option is likely wrong.

This is CORRECT! The word "because" makes it very clear that the sentence is providing a REASON. It also uses the pronoun "they" to further clarify we are talking about turtles specifically.

There you go - option D is the correct choice! It's clear, concise, and uses the correct idiomatic format of "able/ability to."

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Turtles, like other reptiles, can endure long fasts, in their ability &nbs [#permalink] 26 Sep 2018, 09:30

Turtles, like other reptiles, can endure long fasts, in their ability

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap