Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack
GMAT Club

It is currently 24 Mar 2017, 17:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Turtles, like other reptiles, can endure long fasts, in their ability

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 986 [0], given: 220

Turtles, like other reptiles, can endure long fasts, in their ability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 04:25
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

83% (01:41) correct 17% (00:53) wrong based on 784 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Turtles, like other reptiles, can endure long fasts, in their ability to survive on weekly or even monthly feedings; however, when food is readily available, they may eat frequently and grow very fat.

A) fasts, in their ability to survive
B) fasts, having their ability to survive
C) fasts, due to having the ability of surviving
D) fasts because they are able to survive
E) fasts because of having the ability of surviving

OG 2017 New Question
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Followers: 95

Kudos [?]: 266 [0], given: 69

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Turtles, like other reptiles, can endure long fasts, in their ability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 09:21
This post was
BOOKMARKED
AbdurRakib wrote:
Turtles, like other reptiles, can endure long fasts, in their ability to survive on weekly or even monthly feedings; however, when food is readily available, they may eat frequently and grow very fat.

OG 2017 New Question

To show the reason of Turtle's survival, we need 'because'. A, B and C are out

'able to' is the correct idiom. E is out

D is the answer

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Math Forum Moderator
B
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 752 [0], given: 323

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Turtles, like other reptiles, can endure long fasts, in their ability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 10:39
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG 2017 New Question

Answer must be (D) , reasons highlighted below -

Turtles, like other reptiles, can endure long fasts because they are able to survive on weekly or even monthly feedings; however, when food is readily available, they may eat frequently and grow very fat.

Turtles, like other reptiles, can endure long fasts because they are able to survive on weekly or even monthly feedings; however, when food is readily available, they may eat frequently and grow very fat.

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Fuqua Thread Master
S
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 75

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 23:35

sayantanc2k HanoiGMATtutor mcelroytutoring
The red part in options B,C and E just doesn't sound right to my ear. But, I am not able to pinpoint the error(s). Can you please help me do that.

Thank You!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Affiliations: Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 42

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 16:12
Keats wrote:

sayantanc2k HanoiGMATtutor mcelroytutoring
The red part in options B,C and E just doesn't sound right to my ear. But, I am not able to pinpoint the error(s). Can you please help me do that.

Thank You!

B) “having” and “being” are awkward in general, and should normally be avoided because they are passive / wordy.
C) same as B but more wordy
E) same as C

Harvard grad and 770 GMAT scorer, offering high-quality private GMAT tutoring, both in-person and via Skype, since 2002.

McElroy Tutoring

Fuqua Thread Master
S

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2016, 05:49
mcelroytutoring wrote:

B) “having” and “being” are awkward in general, and should normally be avoided because they are passive / wordy.
E) same as C

Can we think of any other reasons apart from generalising "having" and "being" as awkward. I find it really hard to eliminate such options on ground of pure logic.
Top Contributor
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Affiliations: Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 42

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2016, 14:54
Top Contributor
Keats wrote:
mcelroytutoring wrote:

E) same as C

Can we think of any other reasons apart from generalising "having" and "being" as awkward. I find it really hard to eliminate such options on ground of pure logic.

It's not just awkward; it's also wordy and passive.

"Because of there being no other explanation, this is the best reason that I have."

vs.

"This is the best reason I have, because there is no other explanation."

I think that the 2nd choice is obviously better here.

Harvard grad and 770 GMAT scorer, offering high-quality private GMAT tutoring, both in-person and via Skype, since 2002.

McElroy Tutoring

Fuqua Thread Master
S

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2016, 04:33
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Keats wrote:
mcelroytutoring wrote:

E) same as C

It's not just awkward; it's also wordy and passive.

"Because of there being no other explanation, this is the best reason that I have."
vs.
"This is the best reason I have, because there is no other explanation."
I think that the 2nd choice is obviously better here.

Thanks mcelroytutoring. What do you think of "because of having" in option E. Can I safely categorise it under "because of verb-ing" and say that it is incorrect?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2016, 09:41
Experts please help..

Is "in their ability to survive" an incorrect idiom usage? Is the below statement incorrect?

In their ability to survive, turtles can endure long fasts, keeping them alive for a considerable amount of time
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 14

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2016, 03:21
Keats wrote:
Thank You!

In C & E, "ability of" is not used correctly. "ability to" is the correct usage. For B, the only reason for me is also "not sounding correct"

Thanks

Once you know the answer, it is easy to justify.

Fuqua Thread Master
S

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2016, 03:51
alwaysnewbie wrote:
Keats wrote:
Thank You!

In C & E, "ability of" is not used correctly. "ability to" is the correct usage. For B, the only reason for me is also "not sounding correct"

Thanks

alwaysnewbie Can you shed light on the correct usage of "ability to" . Afaik, "ability to" is a correct idiom whereas we cannot say "ability of" or "ability for". I would like you to please help me explain what's wrong with "ability to" here.
Thanks.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 14

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2016, 04:15
Quote:
alwaysnewbie Can you shed light on the correct usage of "ability to" . Afaik, "ability to" is a correct idiom whereas we cannot say "ability of" or "ability for". I would like you to please help me explain what's wrong with "ability to" here.
Thanks.

Keats

In choices C & E, "ability of" is used. I am highlighting that other than being awkward (having), we do have the idiomatic error ("ability of") also to eliminate these choices.
If the answer choices used "ability to", the only reason to eliminate would be "being awkward" (at least for me).
Thanks.

Once you know the answer, it is easy to justify.

Fuqua Thread Master
S

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2016, 04:20
Thanks for the clarification alwaysnewbie I read options A and B instead of options C and E.
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 206

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2016, 22:52
sayantanc2k
I have a doubt here.

Normally being and having considered passive, we avoid them. Apart from this , we have ability to do something is a right idiom. ; Hence we left out with A and D.

I am not able to find any mistake in A, apart from being awkward. Had the sentence written as

In their ability to survive on weekly or even monthly feedings , Turtles, like other reptiles, can endure long ​​fasts.

Would this be still awkward to you.

What is the other error , which I am missing in A.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
Followers: 434

Kudos [?]: 1926 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2016, 11:26
mbaprep2016 wrote:
sayantanc2k
I have a doubt here.

Normally being and having considered passive, we avoid them. Apart from this , we have ability to do something is a right idiom. ; Hence we left out with A and D.

I am not able to find any mistake in A, apart from being awkward. Had the sentence written as

In their ability to survive on weekly or even monthly feedings , Turtles, like other reptiles, can endure long ​​fasts.

Would this be still awkward to you.

What is the other error , which I am missing in A.

Yes it would still be wrong. "In their ability" does not make any clear sense. Consider the following:
He can solve mathematical problems fast in his ability to analyse systematically........ this sentence does not make any clear sense.
He can solve mathematical problems fast because he is able to analyse systematically..... correct.
Re: Turtles, like other reptiles, can endure long fasts, in their ability   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2016, 11:26