Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:25 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Clausesx   Parallelismx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 266
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 119
Send PM
When viewed from the window of a speeding train, the speed with which [#permalink]
Kudos
How can speed be faster/slower?
As i understand speed is a numeric quantity and we should use 'greater' instead.
X is faster than Y ; X's Speed is greater than Y's speed.

AjiteshArun, GMATNinja , karishma ,
Can you please explain this?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
When viewed from the window of a speeding train, the speed with which [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Beingstoic wrote:
As i understand speed is a numeric quantity and we should use 'greater' instead.

AjiteshArun, GMATNinja , karishma ,
Can you please explain this?

Hi Beingstoic,

That's a good point, and I'm glad the main split in the question is so reliable that we don't need to take a call on whether we can use faster with speed. :)

For what it's worth, greater/faster/higher speed all sound fine to me, but I don't know why faster works with speed. If I had to guess, I'd say that a lot of people use faster speed, and therefore it's okay to use faster with speed (which also means that we can't generalise). It'd be great to see more opinions on this though.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Beingstoic wrote:

I also believe that the use of faster with "speed" is not a great construct.

The only saving grace here is that this aspect is not being tested, since all options use speed in the same context.

Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses this aspect of rates and speed. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference. Might have to revise this section, based upon this question though :?
Attachments

rate and speed.pdf [451.69 KiB]
Downloaded 57 times

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Re: When viewed from the window of a speeding train, the speed with which [#permalink]
The speed can not viewed from the window, so the only option that places nearby objects in the right place is option E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 357
Send PM
Re: When viewed from the window of a speeding train, the speed with which [#permalink]
daagh wrote:
The first issue is that this is not a comparison question alone, but also a modification question. What is viewed are the nearby objects and not their speed. Hence, A through D is out at first glance itself.

Coming to comparison in E, what are being compared are not the nearby objects with distant objects but rather the action of their seeming movements. When you compare one arm with a word of action, then the other arm has to be matched with another parallel word of action. Hence, 'do' is required

daagh, I have a question. Is the use of "that" in option A correct. Suppose, the option A did not had any modifier issue. In that case, will the use of "that" be correct - as "that" refers to the speed of the moving object. I am just trying to be more critical about pronouns that is why I asking you as I believe your knowledge about pronouns is very good.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 195
Send PM
Sir/Madam

What is the type of phrase ''When viewed from window" ?

I am unable to fit it into any of the following clauses used to modify Nouns:-

Prepositional Phrase
Verbing or Verbed phrase
Adjective Phrase
Noun Phrase

Please help me Over this!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Quote:
In some cases, it's possible to put a verb before its subject. This doesn't always mean that we have to switch them. It just means that there is nothing wrong with it. If you're wondering why the GMAT would do this, well, the people who make the questions probably want to see whether we'll remove such options (and therefore get the question wrong). :)

Another example:
He joined the company, and so did his sister.

We'll need to "whitelist" this sort of usage.

Hi AjiteshArun

Have take a note of it, but just wanted to clarify what does ''do'' in option (E) stand for?
I think ''do'' stands for the whole ''seem to move''(verb phrase ?)

Also, I request you to confirm whether the comparison is okay in option (A). I find it bit off.

The comparison should be between ''speed of nearby objects seems'' AND ''speed of more distance objects seems''
But the comparison is between ''seem'' and ''speed''. Is my understanding correct?

A) the speed with which nearby objects move seems faster than that of
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts