Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16599 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Work in progress [#permalink]
Thank you MathRevolution for responding! I wanted to know if doing questions from CJ OG question bank for each topic is a good plan? Also, can you suggest me what is the ideal frequency for mock tests per week?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64934 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sgo15 wrote:
Hi All,

Some background on my prep - I have been preparing since march'21 with the help of e-gmat software.

Quant - I got done with all the concept files and quizzes for each topic, however later in April I figured I'm facing a lot of problems with word problems. E-gmat updated their word problems module from a lesson of 24 modules to 100 modules. Invested a lot of time on word problems but I feel I have finally gained some comfort on word problems now. I still struggle with probability but I'm working on that.

Material used so far - E-gmat software for all topics, OG 2021, completed few topics (Absolute values, Algebra, Arithmetic, Combinations and Coord Geo) from CJ OG question bank.

Verbal - I spent a LOT of time on SC and it shows on the level of confidence I have while attempting a SC question. On the other hand, I paid VERY less attention to CR and performed pathetically on the first mock. RC is not that great for me either.

Material used so far - Extensively used e-gmat for SC, Manhattan guide for CR (haven't practiced as many questions till now), OG 2021 for RC (not completed all the questions)

With this level of prep, I thought of giving my first mock from Expert's Global to know where I stand right now and scored a Q48 V37 - a score of 700.

After doing a lot of questions from here and there, I realised I'm doing a lot of hard questions for quant when I'm not even ready to tackle 700 level ones with the right strategy. In some debrief I read the student focussed majorly on OG questions (past year OG + review) and maintained an error log. I stumbled upon CJ OG question bank from the same debrief and decided to go through each one of them topic wise and create an error log for myself which would help me understand where I'm going wrong.

I plan to do the same for CR and RC questions as well.

Please help me understand if I'm going in the right direction with my current strategy and what I should do more.

My target score is 730+

Tagging Bunuel GMATNinja VeritasKarishma ChiranjeevSingh bb

To define a clear path from here, take an official prep test. OG Quant questions are usually 550 - 650 level (except a few) so focussing on them will not do you much good. You should be able to sail through most OG questions effortlessly in seconds. The test will show you the level of questions you are actually going to come across. If you have been doing a lot of official questions from here and there, note that the score will be inflated. You can try out our free practice test here if you have not done too many Veritas questions:
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/free-g ... tice-test/
Our scores compare very well with actual GMAT scores.

Make the most of the CR and RC official questions you have. Try 5 a day and evaluate them through and through to understand how official questions are worded and what they test.

Once you come back with your official practice test/Veritas practice test score, I will be better able to comment on how to proceed from here.
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
sgo15 wrote:
Hi All,

Some background on my prep - I have been preparing since march'21 with the help of e-gmat software.

Quant - I got done with all the concept files and quizzes for each topic, however later in April I figured I'm facing a lot of problems with word problems. E-gmat updated their word problems module from a lesson of 24 modules to 100 modules. Invested a lot of time on word problems but I feel I have finally gained some comfort on word problems now. I still struggle with probability but I'm working on that.

Material used so far - E-gmat software for all topics, OG 2021, completed few topics (Absolute values, Algebra, Arithmetic, Combinations and Coord Geo) from CJ OG question bank.

Verbal - I spent a LOT of time on SC and it shows on the level of confidence I have while attempting a SC question. On the other hand, I paid VERY less attention to CR and performed pathetically on the first mock. RC is not that great for me either.

Material used so far - Extensively used e-gmat for SC, Manhattan guide for CR (haven't practiced as many questions till now), OG 2021 for RC (not completed all the questions)

With this level of prep, I thought of giving my first mock from Expert's Global to know where I stand right now and scored a Q48 V37 - a score of 700.

After doing a lot of questions from here and there, I realised I'm doing a lot of hard questions for quant when I'm not even ready to tackle 700 level ones with the right strategy. In some debrief I read the student focussed majorly on OG questions (past year OG + review) and maintained an error log. I stumbled upon CJ OG question bank from the same debrief and decided to go through each one of them topic wise and create an error log for myself which would help me understand where I'm going wrong.

I plan to do the same for CR and RC questions as well.

Please help me understand if I'm going in the right direction with my current strategy and what I should do more.

My target score is 730+

Tagging Bunuel GMATNinja VeritasKarishma ChiranjeevSingh bb

Hi sgo15,

Why don't you take an official mock and see where you stand? The official mock gives you a better assessment.

And if you are having any weak areas, do not just rely on practicing questions. Instead, try to understand why exactly you are faltering in those questions. Is it because of the conceptual gaps or lack of application skills? Based on that, plan your next move. Only after you are clear with the concepts and the methodology, move to practicing questions.

• What are your weak areas in Verbal?
  • When are you planning to take the test?
  • How many hours can you dedicate for studies in a day?

Please provide answers to the above questions so that I can guide you in a better way. You can write back to me here or a better way is to discuss the same over a call. You can schedule a call with me using the link below.

Click here to schedule a call
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22056 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
sgo15,

If you feel as though you have many knowledge gaps in quant, then I do think the right approach is to engage in "topical practice", so you can practice questions from just one topic at a time, find your weaknesses, and then improve upon them. However, be sure that you can practice a good number of questions from each topic - perhaps 80+ questions. Once you complete that practice, take n official practice exam to see where you are at. If you have any additional questions, feel free to reach out. Also, here are a few helpful articles:

How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success

The Phases of Preparing for the GMAT
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you all for taking out time and replying! I have taken note of your valuable advice and will sit for an official mock as soon as possible.

I gave veritas mock and have pm'd VeritasKarishma for her advice!

Thank you again! :)
GMAT Club Bot