Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7776 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: Books in European libraries last longer than books in libraries in the [#permalink]
daagh wrote:
The biggest problem of E is that it says that the books in Europe last longer because the climate in Europe is humid; - precisely the opposite of what the prompt wants to say that the books last longer in Europe in spite of the humid climate there.
Therefore, E just has no chance

Hello sir,

Sir, please explain why option B, C is incorrect.

Thanks.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [1]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Books in European libraries last longer than books in libraries in the [#permalink]
Kudos
HI Abhi077, BillyZ,

Please add the tag as GMATPrep EP1.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619237 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Expert Reply
NandishSS wrote:
HI Abhi077, BillyZ,

Please add the tag as GMATPrep EP1.

Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
NinetyFour wrote:
riteshbindal wrote:
Books in European libraries last longer than books in libraries in the United States because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected to the extremes of temperature and humidity that damage collections in the United States.

A. because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected to the extremes of temperature and humidity that

B. because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subject of the extremes of temperature and humidity as those that

C. because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected to the extremities of temperature and humidity as

D. because the climate in Europe is fairly humid, but still libraries there are not subject of the extremes of temperature and humidity as

E. because the climate in Europe is fairly humid, but libraries there are not subjected to the extremities of temperature and humidity such as those that

A is very clearly the only possible right answer here, but i am still hesitant to conclude that A is a perfect sentence. THERE is vague in A, B, and C. Is THERE referring to US or EU??

'there' clearly refers to Europe because the non-underlined portion of the sentence contains 'in the United States'.

No ambiguity here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Send PM
Hello experts,
Could anyone through some light on the usage of "extremities vs extremes"
Are both of these correct to be used ?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Vivek1707 wrote:
Hello experts,
Could anyone through some light on the usage of "extremities vs extremes"
Are both of these correct to be used ?

Generally speaking, "extremities" can refer to physical things (e.g., the ends of your limbs), while "extremes" most often refers to abstract things. "Temperature" and "humidity" are pretty abstract, so "extremes" is the better word in this context.

However, the likelihood of encountering a split between these two words when you take the official test is very, very low. And even if you do come across this particular split, there are almost certainly going to be other issues to investigate in the sentence. So, we don't recommend that you take up too much brain space with this exact issue :).

I hope that helps!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 437 [1]
Given Kudos: 229
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V22
WE:Other (Retail)
Send PM
Books in European libraries last longer than books in libraries in the [#permalink]
Kudos
AndrewN sir , GMATNinjaTwo sir

(A) because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected to the extremes of temperature and humidity that

a. If that is referring to "temperature and humidity", are we saying that the "temperature and humidity that do not damage books in EU libraries, are (the same) responsible for damaging books in US. Should it not be "as those that"

b. If "that" is referring to "extremes" is not flouting the touch rule. But as per the sentence's requirement this reference is correct.

Both of them will make sense, but in one case it needs to be corrected to logically draw the correct meaning, and in other we need to overrule the rule.

Kindly help.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
rocky620 wrote:
AndrewN sir , GMATNinjaTwo sir

(A) because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected to the extremes of temperature and humidity that

a. If that is referring to "temperature and humidity", are we saying that the "temperature and humidity that do not damage books in EU libraries, are (the same) responsible for damaging books in US. Should it not be "as those that"

b. If "that" is referring to "extremes" is not flouting the touch rule. But as per the sentence's requirement this reference is correct.

Both of them will make sense, but in one case it needs to be corrected to logically draw the correct meaning, and in other we need to overrule the rule.

Kindly help.

Hello, rocky620. You seem to have outlined a perfect paradox. Perhaps you are interpreting grammatical conventions too rigidly, though. I think there is a third case that you have not considered here. The word extremes on its own is unqualified: not subjected to the extremes that... What kinds of extremes would the sentence be talking about? We need an object of a preposition to tell us: extremes of temperature and humidity. Now, on their own, these two would not convey as strong a message: not subjected to the temperature and humidity that... Does this mean that the temperature and humidity need to be identical in the two places for damage to occur? Although this spinoff could at least function as a sentence, it lacks the emphasis and preciseness of the original, and this brings me to that third interpretation: that can be thought to modify the entire phrase the extremes of temperature and humidity. There is no need to separate the two parts, and now the reader understands that the highs and lows of temperature and humidity, perhaps, or just the highs or lows of two separate metrics, form the basis of the comparison. Is it a grammatical crime for that to modify a phrase? No, not at all. (And I would be wary of that touch "rule," too. It may help in some questions, but dig deep enough into official questions, and you will find exceptions.)

As always, look for easy targets first. It is okay to have doubts. I count them up myself sometimes in harder questions. But I am careful not to toss an answer aside simply because I am uncertain.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
dear AndrewN , GMATNinjaTwo

are the choice B and C incorrect because of "as".
in my opinion, as in B and C seem to introduce a clause that uses to compare, like I read the book in every morning as he did.

wha't your thoughts ?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos