Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:47 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 180
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V27
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V33
Send PM
Re: Correspondences were a method of thought and expression used originall [#permalink]
AndrewN wrote:
sjuniv32 wrote:
GMATNinja, MartyTargetTestPrep, JonShukhrat, GMATGuruNY, AviGutman, AndrewN, DmitryFarber

Dear experts, I have been benefited from reading your posts. I need your advice on how to deal with hard RC.

I have found the RC above very hard. I didn't catch the meaning of each para. Can anyone please tell the meaning of each paragraph? If you showed how to solve the questions it would be great!

Hello, sjuniv32. Let me begin by asking, where did you first encounter this question? (Was it on this site, or somewhere else?) I ask because there seems to be some question about the source, and I will admit that when I came to the word pullulating in the last paragraph, I thought the passage felt more like a GRE® passage. Anyway, this is a tough piece to unravel, incorporating language that is sometimes florid: equivalences shaded off into resemblances. That could come straight from a poem.

In general, although I prefer to create a mental map (as I read) that outlines the gist of each paragraph, I steer away from summaries. I simply do not trust my filtering of the information enough to take on questions that might have nuanced answers, answers that would likely require a look back at the passage. With this in mind, I might lift a keyword or two from each paragraph so that I know where I might likely find my answer if a question broaches a certain topic. I keep it simple. My mental map for the passage might resemble the following:

1—correspondences, Middle Ages
2—Elizabethan correspondences
3—metaphor (mentioned twice, in fact)
4—tame (mentioned twice)/grasp [information]

When I go through the questions, I look to disprove each answer choice, and I often take two passes to reduce the answer pool. The first pass is just to eliminate clearly incorrect answers; the second is where I do the majority of my fact-checking. Matching keywords is an essential skill that can help you arrive at a correct conclusion in just about any circumstance, regardless of how well you comprehended the passage.

QUESTION ONE

In the first question, the keywords from the question stem—the purpose of medieval correspondences was to make the world more—match nearly verbatim what the passage states in paragraph one, the paragraph about the Middle Ages (or medieval times)—Correspondences were used to make the world more comprehensible. Choice (E) it is. That one is done and dusted.

QUESTION TWO

The second question invokes the author of the passage and asks about statements concerning the Elizabethan Age. We would expect to find our answer in paragraph two, although a detail from either three or four could creep in. This an example of a question that requires disproof more than just sniffing out the right answer. Choice (A) presents Elizabethan knowledge in a positive light, something the tone of the passage supports; prevailing modes of thought maps well onto the line from the middle of the paragraph in question:

it was becoming more difficult for Elizabethans to understand their world as part of a rigid, coherent order: the mathematical detail of correspondences became less apt

So far, so good. Leave (A) alone and complete the first sweep. Choice (B) immediately paints Elizabethan knowledge in a negative way with had not developed. I am also wary of bold, overreaching language such as require. If I have two doubts compared to zero from another answer choice, I feel safe eliminating the doubtful one. Choice (C) draws a comparison that the passage, in the same paragraph, even the same line as the one I have quoted above, goes against. Keep moving. In choice (D), we would need to qualify both develop gradually and not surprised by new or strange information. Such details may elude us in the first pass, but they do not hold up to scrutiny in the second. I am hard-pressed to find a line to point to that expresses either notion specifically. The lines that mimishyu quotes in an earlier post make tenuous connections. (For instance, at least they could grasp it by finding that it was like something already familiar is not the same as saying that Elizabethans were not surprised by new or strange information. In fact, they seem to have been attempting to make sense of such information.) Finally, choice (E) provides another easy elimination. Although the Elizabethans used correspondences in the same way as their medieval counterparts, the second paragraph makes it clear that the Elizabethans were interested in change.

QUESTION THREE

Question three asks about metaphors, and we know just where to look for that information: paragraph three. Since the question asks about a comparison between modern metaphors and Elizabethan correspondences, we need to examine the lines in the middle of the paragraph:

This [modern] expression is no more than a metaphor with emotional content. To the Middle Ages this observation would have been a highly significant fact, a new piece of evidence for the unity of creation.

A fact sounds like objective information, and (C) does not use any language that I find debatable. (For instance, look at less realistic in (A), formal occasions in (B), attuned to the period in (D), or based on mathematical models in (E).)

QUESTION FOUR

Finally, the key to the last question is to read carefully and understand that it is asking about medieval correspondences, not Elizabethan correspondences. In my first pass, (A) looks overstated with laden, and historical associations is not a detail that stands out in my mind; (B) mentions a wide variety of contexts, and a quick check against paragraph one shows that it is baseless; likewise, (E) goes too far in conjuring up abstract qualities. It really comes down to (C) or (D).

(C) enabled people to grasp new ideas
Passage (paragraph one): Correspondences were used to make the world more comprehensible.

(D) enabled medieval thinkers to base their faith in an ordered universe on an endless accumulation of minutiae
Passage (paragraph two): the mathematical detail of correspondences became less apt; in contrast to medieval people, Elizabethans could not base their faith on the endless accumulation of minutiae.

Choice (C) incorporates what I call one-step-removed logic. The thinking might go that if correspondences allowed people to grasp new concepts, then such correspondences had to be more than mere figures of speech. But where is the textual evidence that states as much? Which line or lines can we point to as evidence in support of the answer? Meanwhile, the contrast in (D) allows us to deduce (or infer, in the context of the question) that medieval people incorporated mathematical detail into their correspondences and based their faith, at least in part, on such minutiae. Thus, (D) is a more justifiable suggestion.

Although I took the passage on at the end of my workday, just before my last lesson, so my mind may not have been as settled as usual, my question times may still attest to the difficulty of the passage: 2:58 (with reading of the passage included); 1:44; 2:28; and 1:47. Yes, I was over the target 1:48 half of the time. I do not worry about my timing too much on RC passages, though. I know that I can make up a minute or so without much difficulty via other types of questions. It is more about achieving the right balance with a mixed-question set.

I hope that helps. I do not typically respond to RC questions that ask for such a broad analysis, but unlike yesterday, today finds me with a little more time on my hands.

- Andrew

Hi Andrew and everyone else in forum.
Regarding the question :
Hello, sjuniv32. Let me begin by asking, where did you first encounter this question? (Was it on this site, or somewhere else?)
I am not sure if it is answered. But this passage is from GMAT Prep Question Pack -2.
I have also found this very difficult.

Any insights by expert is GMAT passages are becoming more difficult.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: Correspondences were a method of thought and expression used originall [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Anki2609 wrote:
Regarding the question :
Hello, sjuniv32. Let me begin by asking, where did you first encounter this question? (Was it on this site, or somewhere else?)
I am not sure if it is answered. But this passage is from GMAT Prep Question Pack -2.

Hello, Anki2609. I am not sure if that last line was meant to be a question, but if so, I do not think RC passages are getting any tougher. When I see some older passages from the paper tests that were five or six paragraphs long and had eight or nine questions attached, I consider myself lucky that passages these days tend to be shorter and include half as many questions. Some passages will prove more challenging than others to any given individual. Someone else might find this passage easy but then stumble on a science passage that you find less challenging. That is just the nature of reading.

Thank you for clarifying the source. (I see that someone fixed the tags to indicate a single source.)

- Andrew
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
Anki2609 wrote:
Regarding the question :

The questions featured in Question Pack 2 aren't new at all -- they're retired questions, some of which appeared in pre-2002 editions of the official guide or in the old paper tests from the 1990s. So if you find the QP2 questions to be unusually funky, you probably don't need to lose any sleep over them. :)

More broadly: the GMAT is a standardized exam, and the whole point is that it's possible to compare scores for people who take the exam years apart. In other words, a 700 in 2017 means the same thing as a 700 in 2022. Rumors periodically circulate that the test is "getting harder", but that simply isn't ever the case -- the exam is the same as it's been for a very, very long time. Obviously, some passages and questions are harder than others, but those differences in difficulty are baked into the scoring algorithm, anyway.

I hope that helps a bit!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [2]
Given Kudos: 320
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V24
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V39
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 4: 700 Q47 V39
GMAT 5: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
This passage is actually a part of the "GMAT official practice question set 2". You will find it under the reading comprehension practice questions if you choose level of difficulty as "Hard".

I see a lot of people asking for the source - figured I'd help.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Question 4

The author implies medieval correspondences were more than mere figures of speech because they

A) were laden with historical associations
B) were used in a wide variety of contexts
C) enabled medieval people to grasp new ideas
D) enabled medieval thinkers to base their faith in an ordered universe on an endless accumulation of minutiae
E) expressed what were thought to be figurative relationships between abstract qualities

The correct answer is (D), "enabled medieval thinkers to base their faith in an ordered universe on an endless accumulation of minutiae."

Here's why the other options are incorrect:

A) Historical associations might have been a part of medieval correspondences, but the primary reason for their significance was their role in explaining and understanding the order of the universe, not their historical associations.

B) While medieval correspondences were indeed used in various contexts, their significance lay in their ability to convey deeper insights about the universe, not just in their versatility.

C) Medieval correspondences were more about reinforcing existing beliefs and understanding the world's order rather than grasping entirely new ideas.

E) The relationships expressed through medieval correspondences were not merely figurative but were believed to represent real and objective connections between elements in the world. They were not seen as abstract or symbolic in the same way modern metaphors often are.

Option (D) is the best choice because it correctly captures the idea that medieval correspondences served a significant purpose in helping thinkers maintain faith in the ordered nature of the universe by meticulously examining and accumulating details that supported their beliefs.

Question 3

In comparison to modern metaphors, the author finds Elizabethan correspondences to be

A) less realistic because they were based on abstract reasoning
B) more elaborate because they were used only on formal occasions
C) less figurative because they were felt to explain an objective relationship
D) more closely attuned to the period in which they originated
E) more precise because they were based on mathematical models

The answer is (C) "less figurative because they were felt to explain an objective relationship."

The passage describes Elizabethan correspondences as less figurative because they were believed to represent real and objective relationships between different elements in the world. The Elizabethans thought that these correspondences revealed deeper truths about the world's order. This is contrasted with modern metaphors, which are often more symbolic and not taken as literal representations of objective relationships.

Now, let's look at why the other options are incorrect:

A) The passage doesn't suggest that Elizabethan correspondences were less realistic because they were based on abstract reasoning. It doesn't make a direct comparison between modern metaphors and Elizabethan correspondences in terms of realism.

B) The passage doesn't mention the frequency of use (only on formal occasions) as a factor in comparing Elizabethan correspondences to modern metaphors.

D) The passage doesn't provide information about whether Elizabethan correspondences were more closely attuned to their period of origin compared to modern metaphors.

E) The passage doesn't indicate that Elizabethan correspondences were more precise due to mathematical models. In fact, it suggests that the mathematical detail of correspondences became less apt during the Elizabethan era.

Question 2

With which of the following statements concerning the Elizabethan Age would the author be most likely to agree?

A) Elizabethan knowledge about the world had outstripped the capacity of prevailing modes of thought to explain it.
B) Elizabethan knowledge had not developed to the point where it would require a scientific revolution to explain new facts.
C) The Elizabethan Age was more interested in creating a scientific image of the world than in depicting the world poetically.
D) The Elizabethan Age allowed knowledge about the world to develop gradually and was not surprised by new or strange information.
E) Elizabethans continued to think of the world in medieval ways despite the accumulation of new and strange information.

The author would most likely agree with option A: "Elizabethan knowledge about the world had outstripped the capacity of prevailing modes of thought to explain it."

This aligns with the main idea of the passage, which suggests that during the Elizabethan Age, there was a shift in the way people thought about the world, and the prevailing modes of thought, such as correspondences, were no longer sufficient to explain the accumulating knowledge about the world. The passage discusses how the Elizabethans were caught between the old medieval ways of thinking and the need to make sense of new and strange information. Therefore, option A reflects this idea of knowledge outstripping the capacity of existing thought patterns.

The other options are less aligned with the passage:

B) This option suggests that Elizabethan knowledge had not developed to the point of requiring a scientific revolution, which is not the main focus of the passage.

C) The passage doesn't emphasize the creation of a scientific image but rather the shift in thinking.

D) While the passage discusses the Elizabethans grappling with new information, it doesn't specifically suggest that they were not surprised by it.

E) The passage suggests that the Elizabethans were caught between old and new ways of thinking, not that they continued to think in purely medieval ways.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
is the vocabulary seen in the passage common in gmat questions - all official questions i have come across have a more simpler approach on the vocabulary and a more complex one on comprehension.

source?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
YashYashkratos wrote:

is the vocabulary seen in the passage common in gmat questions - all official questions i have come across have a more simpler approach on the vocabulary and a more complex one on comprehension.

source?

­This is apparently a passage from the mba.com online question packs (thanks to HSWorNothing for remembering where this one can be found!). So it's a legit, official passage that presumably appeared on actual GMAT exams.

Generally speaking, the GMAT does tend to avoid overly complex vocabulary. That said, you'll inevitably struggle on occasion. When that happens, do you best to figure out the meaning given the context and then move on! Even if you aren't sure about that one little detail, you should, hopefully, still be able to figure out the overall structure and purpose of the passage.

I hope that helps a bit!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts