Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
490 -760 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi sneha1497,

Without knowing much about you or your study routine, it's tough to say what you can accomplish with another 270 hours of studying. Can you provide some more information on what you have been doing up to this point?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11667 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: 490 -760 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi sneha1497,

To start, the speed with which most GMATers improve is usually not linear, so there's no way to say for sure how long it might take you to get to the point that you can consistently score at any particular level. With another 270 hours of consistent, guided study, you could potentially improve a great deal IF you are focused on learning and practicing the proper Quant and Verbal Tactics.

As an aside, the 760+ score is the 99th percentile - meaning that 99% of Test Takers never score that high (regardless of how long they study or the number of times that they take the GMAT). Thankfully, NO Business School requires a score that high - so it's important to realize that the score that you "want" and the score that you "need" are not the same thing.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far? What “brands” of CATs/mocks have you used?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

760+: What GMAT Assassins Do To Score at the Highest Levels

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
avigutman wrote:
AndrewN wrote such a terrific response, that I actually have nothing to add, other than this article which is perfectly analogous to this situation:
https://caliberstrong.com/blog/chris-pratt-weight-loss/

Many thanks for the kind words, avigutman. I checked out the article, and I have to say, the comparison is apt. I never thought I would be reading about the weight loss habits or beliefs of Chris Pratt, the kind of tabloid fodder I typically steer clear of, but I also appreciate a point well made, and one that comes through in a less serious manner. I have been known, on occasion, to quote, among others, The Simpsons, The Sopranos, Monty Python's Flying Circus, and Donnie Darko in the forums. Whatever gets the point across. And sometimes a little laughter is just what the doctor ordered in the midst of all this serious studying.

Thank you for sharing the article. Cheers.

- Andrew
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
sneha1497 wrote:
I got 490 in my second mock test. I had studied for around 200 hours. Will I be able to get 760 if i study for another 270 hours?

Posted from my mobile device

How much did you score in your first mock test?

How (through which resources) have you been preparing Sneha?
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16598 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello sneha1497,

GMAT club is one of the great platforms to get information about the GMAT official test, Study plan, Section wise instructions, and many more. You are recommended to visit various posts and utilize this forum in the best efficient way.

Your current mock score is shaky but you can surely do better. You can schedule a Free counseling(https://calendly.com/mathrevolution/1-on-1-session) session for 20 mins with one of our experts to have detailed advice on your current study plans.

A score of 490 in the mock test is far indeed from the target score of 750+. It is all about raising 200+ pointers. The score tells that neither the Math nor the Verbal is above average. Hence, both sections have to be taken care of simultaneously. To improve, you will require consistent learning and practice. Also, keep your motivation high to learn. Also, please note that the number of study hours does not decide that if you can achieve your target score or not. There should be a line of action to be followed.

Since we are a math expert, we will recommend you go through our post on the GMAT club, which gives a complete Breakdown of GMAT math questions and types: https://gmatclub.com/forum/overview-of-gmat-math-question-types-and-patterns-on-the-gmat-211809.html#p1641411

Also, make a note of various possible combinations to achieve a score of 750+. The possible scores will help you track your performance after taking the mock or practice test. It will also help you maintain balance in both the sections, and you will always be in a great position to allot the study hours to a specific area accordingly.

Possible score combinations: Q45/V41, Q46/V40, Q48/V38, Q50/V36

After visiting the post, now is the time to start with the basics. To strengthen the basic concept on various topics like arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and word problems, you may refer to many free materials available in GMAT Club. Our website also helps strengthen the necessary "skills of math”.

Solve as many questions as you can relate to different topics, and it is recommended that you try to connect with many proven experts. You can visit Math Revolution and get access to our 7-days on-demand course for free trial lessons.

While concept learning, try solving 600 level questions by topic and be habitual of creating the error log. Prepare a list of all the doubts you face during solving and practicing questions. This practice will help you assess the topics in which you need more time to prepare. After solving as many questions as possible, take the 1st mock test and assess your performance. You may try our free diagnostic test once. Let some experts evaluate it to make you understand it better.

Continue the process with 650+ level by topic and then 700+ level questions by topic. The entire mock test should be completed in a disciplinary manner. Since this is a bit long journey, 1-on -1 tutoring can also be helpful to shorten the study period if your study budget is affordable.

Regular tests will reflect the positive change in the score, and hence, your confidence will boost up. Gradually, with the help of mock tests, you will be able to compete with time and hence will be able to learn time management.

We appreciate your time and patience in reading this reply.
If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

You can reach us at info@mathrevolution.com.

Success is within your reach.

Good luck!
Math Revolution Team
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
sneha1497 wrote:
I got 490 in my second mock test. I had studied for around 200 hours. Will I be able to get 760 if i study for another 270 hours?

Posted from my mobile device

Hi Sneha1947,

Generally speaking, it takes around 300 hours (give or take) to prepare from scratch. This includes everything from concepts to mock tests. Of course it depends on a number of things such as your target score, your strengths and weaknesses, your structure of preparation, the resources you use, your pace of learning etc. So, it would depend on all of these.

Apparently, if you are at 490 after giving 200 hours, there must be a problem with your study strategy. Such significant improvement is challenging but possible only with a structure prep with consistent efforts guided in the right direction. Before getting into details, do provide some context about

1. The type of mock taken by you, whether official mock or not, and your score breakup
2. The time you are able to devote to studying each day
3. Resources you used for prep
4. The structure and study plan you followed
5.When are you looking to retake?

You can always write back to me here or the better way would be to connect over a call and have a discussion. You can schedule a free consultation call using the below link.
Click here to schedule a call
GMAT Club Bot