Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619048 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 261
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Re: Located at the very coal mines that provided them with fuel, the use [#permalink]
I chose option D as the answer and after reading the explanations I can understand why it is wrong. However, I am not too confident of marking option B. Does the phrase 'drainage of mines' have similar meaning as 'mines to be drained of water' (original sentence)? I don't think so and feel there is some meaning change with the avoidance of the word 'water' from answer choice B. Requesting expert opinion on how parallelism trumps meaning aspect and in general how to select an option choice wherein one aspect is right and other is wrong. (hypothetical case)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 386
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GPA: 3.03
WE:Marketing (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: Located at the very coal mines that provided them with fuel, the use [#permalink]
Located at the very coal mines that provided them with fuel, the use of steam engines in eighteenth-century England increased coal production by allowing for mines to be drained of water and permitting extraction of deeper layers of coal.

(A) the use of steam engines in eighteenth-century England increased coal production by allowing for mines to be drained of water and permitting

(B) steam engines increased coal production in eighteenth-century England by permitting the drainage of mines and the

(C) steam engines in eighteenth-century England allowed an increase in coal production by permitting the drainage of mine water and permitting

(D) steam engines increased coal production in eighteenth-century England by allowing water to be drained out of mines and

(E) eighteenth-century use of steam engines increased English coal production by draining mines and

A very important question of modifiers and parallelism.
How to eliminate errors:
Given information:
Located at - that’s the clue . What is located at the coal mines ? We can easily arrive to B, C, D. A and E are out .
Check for any other clue in the given information- extraction - noun . Check for another noun , which can form parallelism.
B- drainage and extraction- so far so good. Keep B
C- why do we have to use permitting two times. It’s not required. Also, C is wordy and it has its own problems.
D- to be drained out - we are talking about 18 century. Can we use - to be drained out. Also meaning issue.
We are left with B and C.
I go with B because it’s straight, meaningful and elegant.

Posted from my mobile device
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
MayankDimri wrote:
I chose option D as the answer and after reading the explanations I can understand why it is wrong. However, I am not too confident of marking option B. Does the phrase 'drainage of mines' have similar meaning as 'mines to be drained of water' (original sentence)? I don't think so and feel there is some meaning change with the avoidance of the word 'water' from answer choice B. Requesting expert opinion on how parallelism trumps meaning aspect and in general how to select an option choice wherein one aspect is right and other is wrong. (hypothetical case)

Hello MayankDimri,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the omission of "water" from the phrase "drainage of mines" does not change the meaning of the sentence; the inclusion of "of water" in Option A is superfluous, as it can be understood that "water" is what is drained from a mine.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Option C- steam engines in eighteenth-century England allowed an increase in coal production
by permitting the drainage of mine water
and
permitting
Here modifier "by permitting.. (prepositional phrase) and "permitting" (-ing modifier) ... are both parallel and also it does not omit the word "water"
please explain how this this wrong.

The OA has omitted the word "water"
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
The sentence lists two ways in which steam engines increased coal production.

Ask yourself—Between drainage of mines (B) and drainage of mine water (C), which one more directly accounts for an increase in coal-mine production?
The answer to that one is definitely drainage of mines: Once you've drained the mine, you can get more coal out of it (the mine). The water, on the other hand, isn't directly related to coal production.

Quote:
The OA has omitted the word "water"

Two ways to figure this one out:
• A steam engine creates steam. Steam comes from boiling water.
AND/OR
• Out there in the real world, are there any other liquids that fill up holes in the ground (such as open mines), besides water?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts