Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 104
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Statistics, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GPA: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: How to get 6.0 AWA on GMAT ....my guide [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
gmatbalar wrote:
"The conclusion relies on assumptions, for which there is no clear evidence."
Is the above sentence correct or should it be "...for which there are no clear evidences" (since 'evidence' is for assumptions which is plural) ?

Also, please help me understand if "...one is left with the impression that the claim is more of a wishful thinking rather than substantive evidence" is correct or "...one is left with the impression that the claim is more of a wishful thinking rather than OF A substantive evidence".

Thanks in advance!

The word "evidence" typically refers to the entire body of evidence, regardless of whether that body of evidence consists of one single thing or various distinct things. For example:

"The evidence against Tim was very strong."

This might refer to one single piece of evidence that is very strong. Or to several pieces of evidence that, collectively, form a strong body of evidence.

The word "evidences" might be okay in certain technical usages, but generally speaking "evidence" is considered uncountable and gets a singular verb.

As for your second question, you probably want to omit the "of a" altogether and go with either:

"...the claim is more wishful thinking than substantive evidence." Or,
    "...the claim is wishful thinking rather than substantive evidence."

Of course, if you're talking about AWA and not SC, that sort of distinction won't make a ton of difference! :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
gmatbalar wrote:
"The conclusion relies on assumptions, for which there is no clear evidence."
Is the above sentence correct or should it be "...for which there are no clear evidences" (since 'evidence' is for assumptions which is plural) ?

Also, please help me understand if "...one is left with the impression that the claim is more of a wishful thinking rather than substantive evidence" is correct or "...one is left with the impression that the claim is more of a wishful thinking rather than OF A substantive evidence".

Thanks in advance!

The word "evidence" typically refers to the entire body of evidence, regardless of whether that body of evidence consists of one single thing or various distinct things. For example:

"The evidence against Tim was very strong."

This might refer to one single piece of evidence that is very strong. Or to several pieces of evidence that, collectively, form a strong body of evidence.

The word "evidences" might be okay in certain technical usages, but generally speaking "evidence" is considered uncountable and gets a singular verb.

As for your second question, you probably want to omit the "of a" altogether and go with either:

"...the claim is more wishful thinking than substantive evidence." Or,
    "...the claim is wishful thinking rather than substantive evidence."

Of course, if you're talking about AWA and not SC, that sort of distinction won't make a ton of difference! :)

Thanks a lot for clarifying both of my questions! :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
This is such a great post to get a high score on the AWA, people. A suggestion would be to actually practice doing a few AWAs using the template - don't simply memorize it and wing it on the actual exam. I know it can feel annoying but practicing may help you go into auto-pilot mode on the day when the section pops up.

All the best
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Thanks, I modified the content to fit my writing style and got 6 in AWA with minimal preparation.

Thanks for the help
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Can I use the concepts from 'errors of reasoning' in CR questions to attack AWA argument? Would it help if I look at the AWA stimulus through the CR 'error of reasoning' lens?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
If anyone is wondering if this still works, I'd say just 1 thing. I'm a non-native speaker. Improved my score from 4 to 5 with just 2-3 hrs of glancing through this epic post. If I had followed it to the T, I would have easily scored 6.
Thanks mate
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [2]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatbalar wrote:
Can I use the concepts from 'errors of reasoning' in CR questions to attack AWA argument? Would it help if I look at the AWA stimulus through the CR 'error of reasoning' lens?

Totally. But you don’t really need to worry too much about content and ideas. Nobody’s evaluating how smart your reasoning is. You could write down completely average in mediocre points and still get a fantastic score.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
thank you so much!! Memorized the template and got a 6
Director
Director
Affiliations: CFA Institute; ICAI; BCAS
Own Kudos [?]: 554 [0]
Given Kudos: 694
WE 2: EA to CFO (Consumer Products)
GPA: 3.78
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
How to get 6.0 AWA on GMAT ....my guide [#permalink]
chineseburned wrote:
Guide to Perfect 6.0 AWA GMAT Score - AWA Template for 6.0
Updated Jan 2022

I took the GMAT twice and scored 6.0 each time. I did put a lot of time in it the first time....too much actually. Being a non-native speaker and having not written a damn essay (of any kind) in many many years, I was very scared of the AWA. So, I went through every guide that I could find and wrote nearly 25-30 essays. Even had a friend grade them for me.....Pathetic, huh?

Anyway, for my second time, I just looked over my templates I created and wrote one of each the day before test just to refresh my memory on faster typing without making too many typos......

So, here it is....Enjoy, and please do not blame me if the 6.0 percentile goes down to 80 soon :-D

AWA Resources:

AWA GUIDE

by Chineseburned

1. General Structure

Intro - Restate argument, point out flaws or state intention to discuss them below
    1st Paragraph - First,...
    2nd Paragraph - Second/In addition,...
    3rd Paragraph - Third/Finally,...
    Conclusion - The argument is flawed/weak/unconvincing because of the above -mentioned...Ultimately, the argument can be strengthened if/by...

2. Structural Word (should be all over the essays)

1. Supporting examples - for example, to illustrate, for instance, because, specifically
    2. Additional support - furthermore, in addition, similarly, just as, also, as a result, moreover
    3. Importance - surely, truly, undoubtedly, clearly, in fact, most importantly
    4. Contrast - on the contrary, yet, despite, rather, instead, however, although, while
    5. Decide against - one cannot deny that, it could be argued that, granted, admittedly
    6. Ying-yang - on the one hand/on the other hand
    7. Concluding - therefore, in summary, consequently, hence, in conclusion, ultimately, in closing

3. Templates

Intro:
    The argument claims that ....(restate)
    Stated in this way the argument:
    a) manipulates facts and conveys a distorted view of the situation
    b) reveals examples of leap of faith, poor reasoning and ill-defined terminology
    c) fails to mention several key factors, on the basis of which it could be evaluated
    The conclusion of the argument relies on assumptions for which there is no clear evidence. Hence, the argument is weak/unconvincing and has several flaws.

1st Paragraph:
    First, the argument readily assumes that......
    This statement is a stretch....
    For example,...
    Clearly,...
    The argument could have been much clearer if it explicitly stated that...

2nd Paragraph:
    Second, the argument claims that....
    This is again a very weak and unsupported claim as the argument does not demonstrate any correlation between....and...
    To illustrate,...
    While,...
    However,....indeed....
    In fact, it is not at all clear...rather....
    If the argument had provided evidence that.....then the argument would have been a lot more convincing.

3rd Pararagraph:
    Finally,...
    (pose some questions for the argument).....Without convincing answers to these questions, one is left with the impression that the claim is more of a wishful thinking rather than substantive evidence.

Conclusion:
    In conclusion, the argument is flawed for the above-mentioned reasons and is therefore unconvincing. It could be considerably strengthened if the author clearly mentioned all the relevant facts....
    In order to assess the merits of a certain situation/decision, it is essential to have full knowledge of all contributing factors. In this particular case....
    Without this information, the argument remains unsubstantiated and open to debate.

4. Going from the templates to full-fledged essays

ESSAY QUESTION:
The following appeared in the editorial section of a national news magazine:[/b]

"The rating system for electronic games is similar to the movie rating system in that it provides consumers with a quick reference so that they can determine if the subject matter and contents are appropriate. This electronic game rating system is not working because it is self regulated and the fines for violating the rating system are nominal. As a result an independent body should oversee the game industry and companies that knowingly violate the rating system should be prohibited from releasing a game for two years."

Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. Point out flaws in the argument's logic and analyze the argument's underlying assumptions. In addition, evaluate how supporting evidence is used and what evidence might counter the argument's conclusion. You may also discuss what additional evidence could be used to strengthen the argument or what changes would make the argument more logically sound.

YOUR RESPONSE:
Quote:
The argument claims that the electronic games rating system, although similar to the movie rating system, is not working because it is self regulated and violation fines are nominal, Hence, the gaming rating system should be overseen by an independent body. Stated in this way the argument fails to mention several key factors, on the basis of which it could be evaluated. The conclusion relies on assumptions, for which there is no clear evidence. Therefore, the argument is rather weak, unconvincing, and has several flaws.

First, the argument readily assumes that because the electronic game rating system is self regulated, it is not working well. This statement is a stretch and not substantiated in any way. There are numerous examples in other areas of business or commerce, where the entities are self regulated and rather successful. For instance, FIA, the Formula1 racing organization is self regulated. Yet, the sport is very popular and successful, drawing millions of spectators around the world each year. Tickets are rather expensive, races are shown on pay-per-view, and nearly all drivers are paid very well. Another example is the paralleled movie rating system that the argument mentions. The author fails to clarify whether it is working well, but it is clear that the movie rating system is pretty well received by people, who often base their decisions to go see a movie with kids or not on the movie rating. It has never been a case when someone would feel cheated by the movie rating and express disappointment afterwards. Since the movie rating system is also self regulated, it follows that this regulatory method is working pretty well and it is not obvious how it can be the reason for the poor electronic game rating system. The argument would have been much clearer if it explicitly gave examples of how the self regulatory system led to bad ratings and customer dissatisfaction.

Second, the argument claims that any violation fees for bad electronic game ratings are nominal. It thus suggests that this is yet another reason for the rating system not working. This is again a very weak and unsupported claim as the argument does not demonstrate any correlation between the monetary amount of the fines and the quality of the electronic game rating system. In fact, the argument does not even draw a parallel with the mentioned movie rating system and its violation fines. If any such correlation had been shown for the movie rating system, which supposedly works well, then the author would have sounded a bit more convincing. In addition, if the argument provided evidence that low violation fines lead to electronic game manufacturers to ignore any regulations with respect to the game rating system, the argument could have been strengthened even further.

Finally, the argument concludes that an independent body should oversee the game industry and companies that violate the rating system, should be punished. From this statement again, it is not at all clear how an independent regulatory body can do a better job than a self regulated one. Without supporting evidence and examples from other businesses where independent regulatory bodies have done a great job, one is left with the impression that the claim is more of a wishful thinking rather than substantive evidence. As a result, this conclusion has no legs to stand on.

In summary, the argument is flawed and therefore unconvincing. It could be considerably strengthened if the author clearly mentioned all the relevant facts. In order to assess the merits of a certain situation, it is essential to have full knowledge of all contributing factors.

5. Final tips

• During the tutorial type in a few sentences in the mock essay window to get used to the keyboard.
  • Again during the tutorial, jot down on your notebook the basic structure of your essays or the opening sentences in case you get too nervous and forget them when the clock starts ticking.
  • Write as much as you can. Try to write at least 500 words per essay.
  • Always have the e-rater in mind as your potential reviewer. Remember that the human rater will make every effort to grade just like the e-rater. In that sense, keep your structure and volume in mind over actual quality/content.
  • Be careful of spelling mistakes. Double check words that you normally know you misspell (e.g. exercise). Try to finish 2-3 minutes before time is up so you can slowly re-read your essay for the purposes of spell checking. Do not reorganize/delete sentences/paragraphs with less than 2 min left.
  • No matter how great you thought your essays went, try to stay humble and focused - remember this was just a warm-up and the real stuff hasn't started yet!

Good luck!

Attachment:
AWA6.png

chineseburned

I found the sample essay in this post really difficult. The response drew parallel from businesses such as Formula1 racing and movie theatre rating system which are self-regulated. However, I was not aware about this, which makes it very difficult to give such examples during the test. How can we improve on such example-giving skills?

Further, the second flaw para states that violation fees for bad electronic game ratings are nominal. However, the argument just says that nominal fee is levied for violation of the system. For people like me, it is nearly impossible to think of equating violation of system with bad ratings. I have come across few more essays which states such kind of connections in their responses, which are very difficult to think of. Could you provide any guidelines for this to make our essay stronger?

Moreover, I was not able to think of mentioning good flaws as was mentioned in model answer. So, I thought that one of the flaws could be that the author could have mentioned cause of violation of the system. In the model essay answer in OG 2019, they have mentioned cause of plane collisions as one of the flaws. How strong is this reasoning of flaw and can that be used in many essays if we are unable to think much regarding what flaws to write?

Originally posted by Kushchokhani on 05 Apr 2022, 02:36.
Last edited by Kushchokhani on 05 Apr 2022, 02:49, edited 1 time in total.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32882 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Top Contributor
Look at my guide. Simply will show you how to write without any gimmick or trick that maybe will not work.

No-nonsense

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-gmatclub ... 36251.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
My AWA scores in GMAT
4.0 (No knowledge of this post)
5.0 (Customary glance)
6.0 (After memorizing this epic post)
Thanks dude. It still works in 2022
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Kindly rate my essay and point out the mistakes. Also guide me on how to make it better.

q-
The following appeared in the editorial section of a local newspaper:

The common notion that workers are generally apathetic about management issues is false, or at least outdated: a recently published survey indicates that 79 percent of the nearly 1,200 workers who responded to survey questionnaires expressed a high level of interest in the topics of corporate restructuring and redesign of benefits programs.

Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. In your discussion be sure to analyze the line of reasoning and the use of evidence in the argument. For example, you may need to consider what questionable assumptions underlie the thinking and what alternative explanations or counterexamples might weaken the conclusion. You can also discuss what sort of evidence would strengthen or refute the argument, what changes in the argument would make it more logically sound, and what, if anything, would help you better evaluate its conclusion.

Ans.

The common notion that the workers are apathetic toward the management issues seems bit reasonable. Though a recent survey indicated otherwise. According to the survey, questionnaires given to approximately 1200 workers, out of which 79 % of them shown interest in the subjects related to corporate restructuring and redesign of benefits program. In quick glance this survey results seems to put forward this idea that workers are really concerned about the management issues and want to be part of it but this is not the real picture.

First of all, the data presented by the survey is limited and inefficient. Only one survey can not determine the interest of all the workers. There must be other surveys to be conducted to establish the idea of workers interest in the management areas. Moreover, the survey is conducted on only 1200 workers, the number seems to be very less. For instance, there was a survey conducted in the year 2000 , related to working hours, in which it was indicated that less working hours generate more productivity. In this survey, the participants were only 10000 workers that work for longer shifts. So, it was quite obvious that they wanted the shift hours to be lesser. But, this survey was never given importance by any prominent organization.

Secondly, the skills of the workers need to be analyzed if they want to be part of management restructuring and redesigning. There is a management hierarchy in most of the companies and that exist because of the level of expertise brought by every worker. So, if a worker wants to give suggestions on the corporate restructuring, then he must have valid knowledge about the process. To restructure and redesign a process in a corporate is a complex step which requires high skill of analytic and logical thinking along with management knowledge. For example, in a packaging company, if a worker who packages the items wants to redesign the process of packaging by removal of few machines and purchasing new ones, then it will incur heavy costs and will imply unnecessary pressure on the supply chain mechanism. So, such decisions are to be analyzed at granule level by the experts on the subject. Hence, skill sets of the workers are utmost important to really give helping advise to a corporate.

However, suggestions of any kind by any person, which can benefit a company should be entertained. There are personal emails and contacts of the management people in open forums so that people can reach out to them and provide any information. Workers are the pillars of any organization and their suggestions must be heard. But it requires time and effort by the management team, which they generally don't have some times. Consequently, workers becoming apathetic towards corporate seems to be true.

In conclusion, workers may be apathetic towards corporate issues and a single survey can not refute this notion. In addition, workers are least interested in the issues as they don't have requisite skills to acknowledge the problems in greater depth. Corporate restructuring and redesigning are high level management subjects and require lot of understanding and planning.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts