Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 23:51 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 23:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
I had to look on a calendar this morning to figure out what the date was -- I am in a tax-vacuum.

Yesterday I watched the UNC/Duke basketball game. A Duke grad at the bar asked me who I was cheering for, and I told him "whichever school lets me in..."

I'm not sure how to analyze the outcome.

(Duke basically got spanked. They had the lead once for about 2 seconds, but otherwise trailed the entire time.)

Duke got spanked but UNC got their A$$ beat!

Anyway, I hear that Duke is offering a admissions guarantee to all applicants who will punch opposing players in the face. As soon as I find the link I will post it..... :wink:
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Man, you should have found a picture from a bit later, when he was smearing it all over his face. That was awesome. And then he tried to go after the guy...that was cool too. How freakin' bizarre - I mean, you don't see that stuff much in college ball anyway (which is probably why i watch), but particularly when there are 15 seconds left? WTF?

Did you think that Henderson (sp?) did it on purpose? I don't think he did.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
Man, you should have found a picture from a bit later, when he was smearing it all over his face. That was awesome. And then he tried to go after the guy...that was cool too. How freakin' bizarre - I mean, you don't see that stuff much in college ball anyway (which is probably why i watch), but particularly when there are 15 seconds left? WTF?

Hansbrough is a thug and a dirty player who had it coming. And I say that as someone who can't stand Duke basketball. I think Henderson intended to keep Hansbrough from scoring even if it meant committing the hard foul, but I don't think he meant to hit him that hard.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
dukes wrote:
aaudetat wrote:

Hansbrough is a thug and a dirty player who had it coming. And I say that as someone who can't stand Duke basketball. I think Henderson intended to keep Hansbrough from scoring even if it meant committing the hard foul, but I don't think he meant to hit him that hard.

Hansbrough is a hard player and a hell of a big man. But, when you are a bumping and shoving underneath players are going to respond with the same energy. Henderson, definitely was swinging at the ball but doing it with unnecessary force. I do not like the ejection call because of future games missed. I think he deserved a flagrant or tech. Either way, they both will be fine, Hansbrough just might be a little more timid next time he goes up.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
dukes wrote:
aaudetat wrote:

How can you honestly say Hansbrough is a "thug and a dirty player"? What is thuggish about him?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I don't know the history of those particular players involved, but the hit was 100% intentional.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
I don't know the history of those particular players involved, but the hit was 100% intentional.

I think it is a little tough to intentionally hit someone when your head is turned the other way. Watch it for yourself:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=RAR2tWAj49o
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
He was so late, it looked intentional. Not like he knew he would clobber him in the face, but like was just kind of swinging his arm hoping to him without looking like he totally lined up for a cheap shot.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
From the angle they showed the most, it totally looked intentional. But from another angle they showed less often, it looked like he'd been going for the ball above his head...but then the ball headed downward, so he changed directions....and was looking toward the ball....and the newly downward-headed arm made a very hard connection.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
squali83 wrote:
I think it is a little tough to intentionally hit someone when your head is turned the other way. Watch it for yourself:

Great vid, look at the 2:40 mark and tell me that wasn't intentional. Intent doesn't need to be formed 2 minutes before the contact, it can be formed milliseconds before it. The ball is clearly gone when he begins to swing. Also, you can intentionally hit someone when your head is turned the other way, especially if you know where he is going to be when you make your swing.

If I'm on the jury, he's guilty of first degree battery.

Pelihu and all lawyers, input!?!?!?!?!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
From the angle they showed the most, it totally looked intentional. But from another angle they showed less often, it looked like he'd been going for the ball above his head...but then the ball headed downward, so he changed directions....and was looking toward the ball....and the newly downward-headed arm made a very hard connection.

Question: Why would you swat so forcefully at a ball that has been knocked out of play and has zero chance of going into the basket?

This is getting fun . . .
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
squali83 wrote:

Great vid, look at the 2:40 mark and tell me that wasn't intentional. Intent doesn't need to be formed 2 minutes before the contact, it can be formed milliseconds before it. The ball is clearly gone when he begins to swing. Also, you can intentionally hit someone when your head is turned the other way, especially if you know where he is going to be when you make your swing.

If I'm on the jury, he's guilty of first degree battery.

Pelihu and all lawyers, input!?!?!?!?!

I think in order to understand how this hit was unintentional you have had to play sports at a high level. The intensity of sports in the upper level is so overwhelming and the pace is so fast that you quite often make up your mind and react to a situation prior to it altering its path. He decided he was going to block the ball and thus committed to do so. Once he was committed the only thing he was focusing on was blocking the ball not someone else's well being. I think he threw his army to hard and without and sort of caution, but intent was not there. Heck, the last thing he needs to do is get ejected so he can miss the first game of the ACC tourney. Especially when there is no chance of them winning that game. I think it would be plain silly to foul that hard under the circumstances, he just had too much to lose.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Henderson may not have been intentionally trying to hit him in the head, but he was definitely trying to lay a hard foul. The point is, there is no reason for a hard foul at that point in the game. It was simply a cheap shot; the fact that it landed on his face and bloodied him just makes it worse.

Hansborough is not a dirty player or a thug. He regularly takes more punishment than anyone else. If you watch UNC games, you'll see that he takes more hard fouls and lays his body out there all the time. Opponents get frustrated because he works harder than them, but he does not play dirty; he's usually on the receiving end.

Read the article on ESPN.com by Pat Forde. Duke = sucky basketball team and sore losers. Coach K = the whiner we all knew him for.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Come on, you hosers. You all have time to rant about the world's most inconsequential basketball game, but can't help a nice girl with her excel??

That's it....no more drunken sweet nothings in french for you guys. You're all cut off.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
Duke = sucky basketball team and sore losers. Coach K = the whiner we all knew him for.

I gather you didn't apply to Fuqua?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
pelihu wrote:
Duke = sucky basketball team and sore losers. Coach K = the whiner we all knew him for.

I gather you didn't apply to Fuqua?

I did apply to Fuqua. As Forde says in his article, it's easy for Duke & Coach K to take the high ground when they are winning, as they have in the past, but their true colors were revealed in this loss (and the one earlier this year where Hansborough was bloodied as well). In fact, the lasting images of this rivalry are Montrose being bloodied years ago, and then now Hansborough. Coach K had the gall to suggest that it was UNCs fault for having their key players in? And he was still calling timeouts and had his key players in - what a weasely hypocrite.

And the point is, there was no reason at all for a hard foul of any kind at that point in the game, no matter who is on the court. The fact that they wanted to foul Hansborough hard was nothing more than a cheap shot, because he had been outworking them all game.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
As Forde says in his article, it's easy for Duke & Coach K to take the high ground when they are winning, as they have in the past, but their true colors were revealed in this loss (and the one earlier this year where Hansborough was bloodied as well). In fact, the lasting images of this rivalry are Montrose being bloodied years ago, and then now Hansborough. Coach K had the gall to suggest that it was UNCs fault for having their key players in? And he was still calling timeouts and had his key players in - what a weasely hypocrite.

And the point is, there was no reason at all for a hard foul of any kind at that point in the game, no matter who is on the court. The fact that they wanted to foul Hansborough hard was nothing more than a cheap shot, because he had been outworking them all game.

I think Duke may have picked up a trick or two from the beating (physical) they took from St. John's.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7