Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:20 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13391 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: 610 to 700+, HELP NEED! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
BMO wrote:
Hello everyone,

I could really use some advice/help as I feel stuck and I don't know how to proceed from here.

I've been studying for GMAT since Feb 2022 primarily using TTP, OG 2022, and gmat club question bank. After few weeks of studying the quant foundations, I took my first mock using Manhattan Prep in March, scoring 530 (Q33, V30). Since then, I've been focusing on going through TTP lessons and quizzes, then I moved onto OG and gmat club questions.

Today, I took my first OG practice exam and got a score of 610 (Q41, V34). It's an improvement, but not the drastic improvement that I had hoped for since I'm aiming for 700+. I managed time very poorly, having to guess 3-5 questions on each section (Q, V, and IR). I'm honestly not very shocked with my score because my approach to self-studying was to go over TTP lessons, do some practice questions, and call it a day. After going through all TTP lessons, I just practice a number of OG/gmat club questions everyday.

I've been able to dedicated about 5 hours each day (30 - 40 hours per week), but with work picking up, I'll have less time to study. So I really need to make my time count and I really think I need some structure/personalized study plan. I'm turning my attention to in-person or online classes or tutors, but what are your (the expert!) thoughts? I need someone who can provide solid structure, analyze my weaknesses, help improve on those weak areas, and monitor my progress.

What would you recommend?

Please, any help/advice would be really appreciated.

Hi BMO

Let me know if you can spare an hour for a demo session to analyse your attempt.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi BMO,

Raising a 530 to a 610 is a solid achievement in the timeframe that you have described, but you will have to learn and hone a number of additional skills to get to the point that you can consistently score 700+. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) Have you taken any other CATs/mocks besides the two that you mentioned? On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you will be able to consistently study each week?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
BMO wrote:
Hello everyone,

I could really use some advice/help as I feel stuck and I don't know how to proceed from here.

I've been studying for GMAT since Feb 2022 primarily using TTP, OG 2022, and gmat club question bank. After few weeks of studying the quant foundations, I took my first mock using Manhattan Prep in March, scoring 530 (Q33, V30). Since then, I've been focusing on going through TTP lessons and quizzes, then I moved onto OG and gmat club questions.

Today, I took my first OG practice exam and got a score of 610 (Q41, V34). It's an improvement, but not the drastic improvement that I had hoped for since I'm aiming for 700+. I managed time very poorly, having to guess 3-5 questions on each section (Q, V, and IR). I'm honestly not very shocked with my score because my approach to self-studying was to go over TTP lessons, do some practice questions, and call it a day. After going through all TTP lessons, I just practice a number of OG/gmat club questions everyday.

I've been able to dedicated about 5 hours each day (30 - 40 hours per week), but with work picking up, I'll have less time to study. So I really need to make my time count and I really think I need some structure/personalized study plan. I'm turning my attention to in-person or online classes or tutors, but what are your (the expert!) thoughts? I need someone who can provide solid structure, analyze my weaknesses, help improve on those weak areas, and monitor my progress.

At a Q41 level, you may have fundamental gaps on Quant. At a V34 level, there may be ways you can make your approach more efficient. For specific suggestions, providing more details about the types of errors you make and issues you face on a Mock may be helpful.

How to get a V40 or higher on the GMAT? What about a V51?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [1]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
Kudos
Dear Rochix123
I am also tried TTP course because there are many reviews that value its Math section.
After I partially passed Math model, excluding geometry and probability, my score was ameliorated from Q35 to Q44.
Now I am in a way to study simultaneously Math, to refresh knowledge, and Verbal sections.

If you are good at grasping any concept quickly, you can choose whatever service platform please you.
In other case stick to the service that provides comprehensive approach and study plan as TTP does.
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
BMO wrote:
Hello everyone,

Hi BMO

Sorry about how things went with your GMAT. The key to scoring well on GMAT is to focusing on the right aspects. If your score doesn't improve much even after months of prep, then that means that there's something wrong with the preparation strategy. First let us understand the right way to prepare for GMAT.

How to prepare for GMAT in the right way?

Before you start preparing for any test, it's important to understand the structure of the test, what is tested on it and then prepare accordingly. In this case, GMAT is a test which focuses on your application skills along with the conceptual knowledge. So, just learning the concepts and practicing questions without focusing on the right methodology will not do any good. So, I suggest you to first focus on the methodology to solve questions of a particular topic and only then move to practicing questions of that topic.

So, the right way to prepare would be to first

• learn the concepts of a topic,
  • learn the right methodology to solve questions of that topic
  • practice a few questions of that topic to solidify your learning and then move to the next topic
  • Repeat the process for all the topics

And working on weak areas is equally important. You move to the next topic only if you get a decent accuracy in the previous topic. If not, you revisit the concepts, fill the conceptual gaps and then move to the next topic only when you are 100% confident. There are a couple of articles which you might find helpful.

How to effectively plan your studies for GMAT

How to score 700+ on GMAT

And you can go through the recording below to understand how to strategize your GMAT prep in an effective way.

What might have gone wrong?

As we have understood the right way to prepare, now let's analyze what could have gone wrong. You have learnt the concepts of the topics and you must have practiced questions as well. But did you focus on the methodology part? Did you focus on working your weak areas?

These two could be the major reasons for you not scoring well. So, this time make sure you do your prep in the right way by focusing on all the above parameters. And regarding the resource, choose a resource which can help you with not only the concepts, but the methodology as well. And the questions to practice and their detailed solutions are equally important as the solutions help you understand where exactly you are making the mistake. And a study plan would be an added advantage as you will have clear deadlines.

You can check out the free trial of GMATWhiz online course if you are looking for one. You can take the advantage of the ongoing memorial day sale of 46%. And regarding pacing yourself on the test, you can go through the recording below to understand a few test taking strategies.

And regarding how to proceed further and the study strategy, I think it would be better if we can get in touch over a call and discuss the same as I would like to ask a few questions about your current preparation strategy and your weak areas. You can use the below link to get in touch with me.
Click here to schedule a call
GMAT Club Bot